Official Taylormade M1 Driver Thread

Llortamaisey

Might have missed it, but has anyone swapped the front weight and the back weight? If so, with playing the heavier weight in the back track and moving it all the way back, have you noticed any difference?

I was able to try it with the weights switched around. I put the heavier one from the front all the way to the back of the back sliding weight. Compared to the normal set up with the weight all the way to the back, it did seem to get a little more spin, maybe a little higher launch, but that was less noticeable than the spin generally averaging a little more. Couldn't tell any difference in sound or forgiveness though.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sound changes dramatically when the rear weights are moved forward or back.

This was also true in my M1. Much different sound when the weight was middle, or if it was in the back. The all the way back weight setting made the M1 sound and feel more muted and more solid. Middle setting raised the pitch a bit to a little more metallic. Have no idea why that is, and I found that out on the range by accident one day while trying different settings.

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

I've been getting fit for a new driver through my swing coach and eventually found the M1 providing the best numbers on the launch monitor. I had two setups going:

10.5*, loft adjusted down two settings to 9*, weight set in front, no bias

9.5*, loft std, weight set in front, no bias

There was more ball speed with the 10.5 setup (163 vs 155) over 20 swings with obvious mishits removed. Is there any obvious explanation for that? The 9.5 demo driver looked pretty beat up with some minor dents in the crown.

Anybody play an Elements Chrome in the M1. Just picked one up in a trade, curious to see what people thought.

Titleist TSR 4 - Autoflex SF 505XX

Burner Mini - Autoflex SF505XX

Cally Apex UW - Ventus TR RED 7x

Ping G430 3H - Ventus HY Blue 8x 

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW Axiom 105x

Hi-Toe 3 52/MG3 TW 60 - S400TI 

Odyssey Ai Milled Eleven DB w/Stability Tour 

I got the M1 in December. My problem is I can't find a shaft to suit me.

Kuro kage 60 S Far too whippy

Diamana 60 S+ didn't like that either.

Aldia Rogue Silver 60 Stiff. Feels too stiff for me. I'm just not getting the distance I usually do. Think it's because it has a stiff tip.

I'm just looking for a normal stiff shaft with a normal tip. Over the yrs I've just been using the normal stiff stock shafts taylormade have put in their drivers

Could anyone please suggest a shaft I should try?

Have a go with a Matrix black tie. By far the best fit for me with the M1.

e

Low launch, low spin? Defo wouldn't suit me.

Anybody play an Elements Chrome in the M1. Just picked one up in a trade, curious to see what people thought.

Have that same setup. 8.5 degree 460 head shafted to elements chrome 7f5t, 2nd slider set all the way back. It's a monster. Consistently low spin, but without the occasional 900-1100 rpm shots that fall out of the sky and go nowhere. Very happy with it and on a quest to find a backup. It's that good

There was more ball speed with the 10.5 setup (163 vs 155) over 20 swings with obvious mishits removed. Is there any obvious explanation for that? The 9.5 demo driver looked pretty beat up with some minor dents in the crown.

8mph ball speed difference with just .5* of loft difference?

Switched the front and back weight - previous was getting ~1900 rpm aoa 2.8 heavier weight in the front

Those weights are not enough to change the cg , a few grams in the rear always feel better on release

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I'm guessing with the two degrees open from the loft change his contact is better increasing his smash factor and ball speed

Driver(s) - TSR3 Ventus Red 6s and G430 Ventus TR 6x

TSR2 15* Di7s

Sim 2 19* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

Sim2 22* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

I'm guessing with the two degrees open from the loft change his contact is better increasing his smash factor and ball speed

Oh okay so its just a swing mechanic of his.

What is the highest launching stock shaft of the three avail off the rack?

The Fujikura Pro 60 is the highest launching. The Kuro Kage is supposed to be the Mid launch and the Rogues are the lowest launching, which my launch numbers definitely validate at least in my case.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

That is my guess. I'm thinking he's like me and his miss is typically a hook or a block. With the 9.5* (no loft adjustment), he's got a shut face at impact leading to some low hooks and when he tries to hold off his finish, he can hit blocks. With the 10.5* down two ticks, the face angle becomes 2* open, so he can take his natural swing and while it's .5* lower loft, he's flushing contact with far less side spin. I'm having that same problem and am thinking of swapping my 9.5 for a 10.5 lofted down to create a fade bias. For players who've fought hooks in the past, I'd suggest it.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

Mine just arrived today. I hate Taylormade btw... The shaft is the Rogue Silver 70 Stiff. It felt heavy when I took some practice swings in the yard. Am I imagining that or is it the shaft?

That may be because the Rogue Silver 70 in stiff is listed at 77 grams on Aldila's website.

Gotcha. I guess it is more noticeable than I thought.

If you are playing the Stock Taylormade Specs, it's also 45.5 inches long, making the Swingweight even higher (closer to D4 or D5). You should check the length and consider cutting a 1/2 inch.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

Switched the front and back weight - previous was getting ~1900 rpm aoa 2.8 heavier weight in the front

Those weights are not enough to change the cg , a few grams in the rear always feel better on release

Did you notice any draw bias when you moved the weights back? I wasn't on a launch monitor, but watching the flight, it seemed to.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

I take mine out for the first time tomorrow. Do I dumb it down by moving the weight down or do I do baptism by fire with the weight up? Did I just answer my own question?

Titleist TSR2 10* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 16.5* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 18* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 21* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist CNCPT CP-04 5-7 CP-03 8-48 Aerotech Steelfiber i80cw
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* 10 S Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM9 60* T Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Scotty Cameron Pathfinder Mainstay Bag

That is my guess. I'm thinking he's like me and his miss is typically a hook or a block. With the 9.5* (no loft adjustment), he's got a shut face at impact leading to some low hooks and when he tries to hold off his finish, he can hit blocks. With the 10.5* down two ticks, the face angle becomes 2* open, so he can take his natural swing and while it's .5* lower loft, he's flushing contact with far less side spin. I'm having that same problem and am thinking of swapping my 9.5 for a 10.5 lofted down to create a fade bias. For players who've fought hooks in the past, I'd suggest it.

So if im fighting a slice id want to loft up to close the face?

@yotaman you can loft up. Each tick will close the face angle 1 degree. The other thing you can do is put the front track weight towards the heel. Also make sure you tee the ball up high enough and are playing it off your left heel - alignment sticks are great for this. You may surprise yourself by not aiming where you think you're aiming. Generally though, slices are indicators of swing path and face angle problems. Pushes or slight fades can be properly corrected with face angle adjustments. While it's tough to diagnose without seeing your swing, if you imagine your target line, you want your backswing starting slightly inside the target line and you want to be hitting from slightly inside the target line on your downswing. Taking a baseball practice swing can encourage coming from the inside. Also pretend you are hitting a hard line drive to right center field. But you should really take a lesson.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

This is exactly the case. I went back to a 9.5 and hit a number of low pull hooks and blocks with old swing tendencies. I've been working with my coach through the winter to shallow out the swing, from the inside, hitting up on the ball, and this "new" swing plays well with the standard 9.5. Just need to keep working on the swing to get consistency.

I did my fitting today at the Performance Lab at HQ here in Canada and I found an absolute rocket launcher. I ended up being fit into an M1 460 8.5 wright forward and neutral with a Rogue Silver 70x. I tried a couple of other shafts but I hit this one on a rope. I hit the AD BB 70x and he Black Tie 70x. It was really close between the Rogue and BB distance wise, but the BB had a bit more movement on the flight. The BB felt smoother but dispersion couldn't keep up.

My numbers came in around 160 ball speed 14-15 launch and 1700-1800 rpm. I didn't hit the 430 because I don't spin it enough and the M2 would have launched too high (no 8.5 head at retail).

The numbers that from my fitting put my old driver (Vapor Pro with Whiteboard) to shame. I'm pretty pumped to get the my new driver and 3 wood in the bag.

I'm going to do a bit of a review of the MATT system in my witb when I'm not on mobile.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

Well got the m1 and it's shorter than my GBB with the same shaft so will ha e to stick with the Callaway the 3 wood is great but have to get rid of the driver Shane as love the look !

Titleist TSI2 Hzrdus Smoke 

Titleist TS2 4 wood 

Titleist u500 3 iron 

Titleist 718CB 4-9

Vokey 46,50,54

Wedgeworks 58 T 

Scotty Cameron Circle T SB+
TP5 X
Twitter @5_cav

I did my fitting today at the Performance Lab at HQ here in Canada and I found an absolute rocket launcher. I ended up being fit into an M1 460 8.5 wright forward and neutral with a Rogue Silver 70x. I tried a couple of other shafts but I hit this one on a rope. I hit the AD BB 70x and he Black Tie 70x. It was really close between the Rogue and BB distance wise, but the BB had a bit more movement on the flight. The BB felt smoother but dispersion couldn't keep up.

My numbers came in around 160 ball speed 14-15 launch and 1700-1800 rpm. I didn't hit the 430 because I don't spin it enough and the M2 would have launched too high (no 8.5 head at retail).

The numbers that from my fitting put my old driver (Vapor Pro with Whiteboard) to shame. I'm pretty pumped to get the my new driver and 3 wood in the bag.

I'm going to do a bit of a review of the MATT system in my witb when I'm not on mobile.

those are some fantastic numbers. You could probably do with a touch more spin? Did you try the Tour AD MT as well?

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

@dvs112 I feel your pain brother. I just played my 4th round with my 9.5* M1. I've used different weight settings every round and have alternated btwn an MT6x and a Rogue Black 70x. I've been playing army golf - hook/block. Today I set both weights to middle and teed up a little higher. Going from the 915D3, which is more pear shaped and has a deeper face, I was worried about popping up drives using the M1 (which has a shallower face), if I used the same tee height. Once I went back to my standard tee height, my AoA improved and I kept the face square for longer down the target line. Big difference.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

Anyone of you guys getting the paint cracking on the crown? I just bought one and saw a few other threads about it and now I'm a little concerned...

I've had mine since they were released, I play pretty much two - three times a week and hit the range a lot. I have no paint cracking, bulging or any other issues with mine.

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

those are some fantastic numbers. You could probably do with a touch more spin? Did you try the Tour AD MT as well?

I certainly can't drop my spin any more without hitting a knuckleball that's for sure.

Didn't hit the MT because it's more of a mid-mid shaft and although it would have added a bit of spin it would have launched too high. I was hitting the BB with about 2100 rpm and really liked it. It couldn't beat the Rogue for dispersion though.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

Really think that this thread is a waste because there is far too much information posted about it. Coming from someone who has owned 4 different TM drivers in the last 7 years, and am selective about the ones that I buy message me if you want to know more about the M1 if you want specifics but I am a huge fan of it. I will say out of the R9Tp, R11Tp, R1Tp it is the only driver that I can feel the weights and adjustments in when you make them. I felt them instantly. Personally the head is electric as well. Has a great feeling if you want to know more just PM me. Also for you northerns thinking about getting one, almost all of the guys my age down in Florida have made the switch to it because of how good it is so don't be afraid to do it.

Really think that this thread is a waste because there is far too much information posted about it. Coming from someone who has owned 4 different TM drivers in the last 7 years, and am selective about the ones that I buy message me if you want to know more about the M1 if you want specifics but I am a huge fan of it. I will say out of the R9Tp, R11Tp, R1Tp it is the only driver that I can feel the weights and adjustments in when you make them. I felt them instantly. Personally the head is electric as well. Has a great feeling if you want to know more just PM me. Also for you northerns thinking about getting one, almost all of the guys my age down in Florida have made the switch to it because of how good it is so don't be afraid to do it.
this is Golfwrx. Other than the whining about Taylormade marketing cycles, I've appreciated a lot of the detail. There are so many shafts and not everyone has the money to try them all our an adequate fitter nearby ; )

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

I got the M1 in December. My problem is I can't find a shaft to suit me.

Kuro kage 60 S Far too whippy

Diamana 60 S+ didn't like that either.

Aldia Rogue Silver 60 Stiff. Feels too stiff for me. I'm just not getting the distance I usually do. Think it's because it has a stiff tip.

I'm just looking for a normal stiff shaft with a normal tip. Over the yrs I've just been using the normal stiff stock shafts taylormade have put in their drivers

Could anyone please suggest a shaft I should try?

Try the White Tie which is a TM stock offering. I had the same problem as you and changed to the White Tie and WOW,,what a difference. Easily 15 yds longer than anything else I've tried.