2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mike Malaska - Getting the club in front of you. Made easy...

CrisPy3

[quote name='Ghost of Snead' timestamp='1446141373' post='12524370']
[quote name='Millbrook' timestamp='1446135900' post='12523814']
Ghost,

Would you describe the Malaska approach as an arm swing where the body reacts and doesn't rely on the pivot to square the face?
[/quote]

Not at all, his method also appears to rely on a good pivot as well. My issue is the way he presents "leading with the right elbow" as incorrect and prone to a stall and flip. Most DTL views of great players have the appearance of the P6 position that I posted above with Snead and Horschel and a proper pivot brings the club down on the correct plane to P7. As has been mentioned in the thread several times, I believe Malaska's method is more of a feel for those who are prone to dropping the rear shoulder, getting underplane, and getting the hands too far out on the DS.
[/quote]

He clearly likes a punch elbow which is why I was saying earlier in the thread that if you're a pitch elbow, this might not be the right feel for you.

When he demonstrates that flip from P6, he's in a good enough position but then his left shoulder goes up so he can get the club under and do his flip demo. If, instead, his left shoulder went down and around, he wouldn't have to save it like that.

[quote name='TheGeekGolfer' timestamp='1446149493' post='12525076'] I know I'm currently on a month long ball striking high after watching his videos and following this thread. But, I could watch (and have) a lot of his videos. His pacing and interaction with his students is very good. It makes sense and I'll seeing results. [/quote]

Same. I have enjoyed about 6 weeks of my best ballstriking ever. This weekend I kinda lost the feel of what I was doing but it seems to have come back.

I definitely use a punch elbow, so maybe that is why this swing seems to work for me so well.

[quote name='johnrobison' timestamp='1446161154' post='12525998']
[quote name='Ghost of Snead' timestamp='1446141373' post='12524370']
[quote name='Millbrook' timestamp='1446135900' post='12523814']
Ghost,

Would you describe the Malaska approach as an arm swing where the body reacts and doesn't rely on the pivot to square the face?
[/quote]

Not at all, his method also appears to rely on a good pivot as well. My issue is the way he presents "leading with the right elbow" as incorrect and prone to a stall and flip. Most DTL views of great players have the appearance of the P6 position that I posted above with Snead and Horschel and a proper pivot brings the club down on the correct plane to P7. As has been mentioned in the thread several times, I believe Malaska's method is more of a feel for those who are prone to dropping the rear shoulder, getting underplane, and getting the hands too far out on the DS.
[/quote]

He clearly likes a punch elbow which is why I was saying earlier in the thread that if you're a pitch elbow, this might not be the right feel for you.

When he demonstrates that flip from P6, he's in a good enough position but then his left shoulder goes up so he can get the club under and do his flip demo. If, instead, his left shoulder went down and around, he wouldn't have to save it like that.
[/quote]

Malaska demonstrates this as making things just as bad by trying to make the handle go left.

He talks about pulling the handle being the flaw.

I see Malaska wanting the arms to work like this - just a different way of explaining it.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrSSRIX_61s[/media]

On another note, I have been working on my BS (too flat) pretty much all summer and I finally figured out how to get a better shoulder turn.
Just so happens the move is exactly what Malaska describes in this video. Feels like I'm standing up the shaft on the BS. Has made a big difference for me

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQGVuwle8LU[/media]

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Really like the stuff in this video. He clearly takes a lot of pleasure out of seeing his students improve - the end is priceless.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ACufeOZTk[/media]

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I'm really enjoying watching Mike's video's. Ive picked up a few things and they are working pretty well for me. He makes the swing seem so easy lol.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='Ezgolfer' timestamp='1446345941' post='12534896']
I have trouble rotating the left hand as he describes..
[/quote]

Practice everything in slow motion first then add a ball and swing at 10% and work your way up from there. The body needs time to make the neural connections to make a different move.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Literally playing the best golf of my life. Played at TPC Michigan in a skins game and had 7 birdies.

Haven't shot over 73 in this Michigan weather since this thread started. Watched the first video and it made so much sense.

Just to add that (easyyy) has seen this progress and change and is in awe !!!

Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link

Had a few issues creep into this swing for me, shots never go left but a good proportion are push/slices to the right.

I suspect I'm inadvertently cupping my left wrist as I stand the club up vertically in my backswing / downswing, leaving an open clubface at impact (evident by almost 45 degree marks left by the rubber mat on the bottom of the club)

[quote name='TheBoomer ' timestamp='1446522174' post='12544064']Literally playing the best golf of my life. Played at TPC Michigan in a skins game and had 7 birdies.

Haven't shot over 73 in this Michigan weather since this thread started. Watched the first video and it made so much sense.

Just to add that (easyyy) has seen this progress and change and is in awe !!![/quote]
That's awesome boomer. Just shows how many of us were stuck under and had no idea.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

One thing that made this concept make a lot more sense to me this weekend was visualizing the club and club face in a path of a circle around my shoulders. This is a very simplistic visualization as I am just holding the club up and swinging the head around my body, with little torso movement. When I do this, I realize that I in fact have to pull the grip towards my right hip, or effectively tumble the club, in order to have the face square up while the path is moving around my shoulders. This has really helped to tie all of these thoughts and feels together, giving me a reason why they are important.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degrees - Ventus Blue 5S
Sim Max 3HL 16.5 - Ventus Red 6S

Callaway Apex UW @21 - Ventus Red 7s
Titleist TS2 4H @23 - Ventus blue 8s
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G- Nippon 950GH
Titleist SM8 54, 60
Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 - Stability Shaft

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 - Stability Tour

[quote name='sheldonjhacker' timestamp='1446573876' post='12546352']
epyon- can you explain "tumbling"? thanks
[/quote]

This link will probably show you better than what I can describe.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1149261-tumble/page__p__11188305__hl__+tumbling#entry11188305

To me, its almost like an anti-laying off the club.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degrees - Ventus Blue 5S
Sim Max 3HL 16.5 - Ventus Red 6S

Callaway Apex UW @21 - Ventus Red 7s
Titleist TS2 4H @23 - Ventus blue 8s
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G- Nippon 950GH
Titleist SM8 54, 60
Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 - Stability Shaft

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 - Stability Tour

[quote name='sethdavidsdad' timestamp='1446561262' post='12545358'][quote name='TheBoomer ' timestamp='1446522174' post='12544064']Literally playing the best golf of my life. Played at TPC Michigan in a skins game and had 7 birdies.

Just to add that (easyyy) has seen this progress and change and is in awe !!![/quote]
That's awesome boomer. Just shows how many of us were stuck under and had no idea.[/quote]

It's been as bad as 8* inside to out.
When my timing is perfect I hit nice draw. When the timing is off, is when a scratch score in the mid 80s. Very annoying.

For me to hit a straight shot before was to try to hit a fade. And to hit fade(lol) that didn't really happen.

This has changed everything.

Last time I was on trackman, .5* inside on average.

Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link

[quote name='TheBoomer ' timestamp='1446598384' post='12548820'][quote name='sethdavidsdad' timestamp='1446561262' post='12545358'][quote name='TheBoomer ' timestamp='1446522174' post='12544064']Literally playing the best golf of my life. Played at TPC Michigan in a skins game and had 7 birdies.

That's awesome boomer. Just shows how many of us were stuck under and had no idea.[/quote]

It's been as bad as 8* inside to out.
When my timing is perfect I hit nice draw. When the timing is off, is when a scratch score in the mid 80s. Very annoying.

For me to hit a straight shot before was to try to hit a fade. And to hit fade(lol) that didn't really happen.

This has changed everything.

Last time I was on trackman, .5* inside on average.[/quote]
That's a huge change.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Read this entire thread and the ball striking has gone up with everything but the driver. With the driver it's primarily low and hook city on the few bad ones. I assume based on the videos by MM it is too much toe down on the downswing move but does anyone else have any feelings/comments to help out here?

I understand the concepts and have been putting it to work but the driver feels like I'm missing/forgetting something critical.

Hell of a thread. Learned a ton.

[quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1446614785' post='12550244']
Read this entire thread and the ball striking has gone up with everything but the driver. With the driver it's primarily low and hook city on the few bad ones. I assume based on the videos by MM it is too much toe down on the downswing move but does anyone else have any feelings/comments to help out here?

I understand the concepts and have been putting it to work but the driver feels like I'm missing/forgetting something critical.

[/quote]

He isn't a toe down guy at all. Watch this video, was a light bulb moment for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6sMrQuIK80

[quote name='Just looking' timestamp='1446648079' post='12551372']

[/quote]

He isn't a toe down guy at all. Watch this video, was a light bulb moment for me
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6sMrQuIK80"]https://www.youtube....h?v=p6sMrQuIK80[/url]
[/quote]

I read it that he thought his problem was toe down with the driver not that Malaska was promoting toe down.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

[quote name='Millbrook' timestamp='1446649683' post='12551474']
[quote name='Just looking' timestamp='1446648079' post='12551372']

[/quote]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6sMrQuIK80"]https://www.youtube....h?v=p6sMrQuIK80[/url]
[/quote]

I read it that he thought his problem was toe down with the driver not that Malaska was promoting toe down.
[/quote]
Ok, I can see that. Either way the video will help with his issue

The driver was the last piece of the puzzle to fall into place for me as well. The thing that clicked was the video where he shows left hand only swings, then right hand only swings. Concentrate on the feeling with each hand of "handle down, heel out." That is pretty much my only swing thought anymore. On the tee box if I'm standing around I'll do the one-handed swings. Yesterday at the range I started pointing my left shoulder just slightly lower at the top of the BS (per the other video posted), and the results were amazing. My miss had been slightly right, not left however. I was striping drives like crazy, felt like I couldn't miss. Wish I'd had time to hit the course yesterday. Handle down, heel out!

[quote name='grizztrax' timestamp='1446654616' post='12551906']
The driver was the last piece of the puzzle to fall into place for me as well. The thing that clicked was the video where he shows left hand only swings, then right hand only swings.
[/quote]

Grizztrax - do you have the name or link for the video you referenced? Thanks.

[quote name='DannyG' timestamp='1446656085' post='12552038']
The driver was the last piece of the puzzle to fall into place for me as well. The thing that clicked was the video where he shows left hand only swings, then right hand only swings.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Here is the link to Mike's youtube home. have fun viewing. Believe the vid you are looking for is titled: Pro Tips: The look cool drill.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/user/MalaskaGolf/videos?spfreload=1"]https://www.youtube....eos?spfreload=1[/url]

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think it was in one of the lessons he was giving, I'll try to find it and post.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jnJihBGtSg

[quote name='snapier' timestamp='1446665026' post='12552718']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe this?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jnJihBGtSg"]https://www.youtube....h?v=9jnJihBGtSg[/url]
[/quote]

Actually I was thinking of this one, but that definitely shows the left hand/arm action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCRsU7OAJqg

[quote name='grizztrax' timestamp='1446654616' post='12551906']The driver was the last piece of the puzzle to fall into place for me as well. The thing that clicked was the video where he shows left hand only swings, then right hand only swings. Concentrate on the feeling with each hand of "handle down, heel out." That is pretty much my only swing thought anymore. On the tee box if I'm standing around I'll do the one-handed swings. Yesterday at the range I started pointing my left shoulder just slightly lower at the top of the BS (per the other video posted), and the results were amazing. My miss had been slightly right, not left however. I was striping drives like crazy, felt like I couldn't miss. Wish I'd had time to hit the course yesterday. Handle down, heel out![/quote]

The left arm motion !!!!!

This helped me hit the last corner.
By hitting this corner I will never rip the ball left. Such a great feeling to explode and never thinking that I'll hook it.

Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link