2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mike Malaska - Getting the club in front of you. Made easy...

CrisPy3

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1447802782' post='12612402']
Been messing with this, like most golf instruction I find that this is a good drill to get you out of bad habits, but when I try to take it to the course it just messes with my head.

1. See the shot
2. Grip, stance, alignment, ball position
3. Swing the club in an arc around your head with your hand and arms.

That's all one really needs.
[/quote]
How much do you think you're going to get for that DVD? Jeez! Get real! :derisive:

[quote name='grizztrax' timestamp='1447212144' post='12582458']
[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1447192442' post='12581006']
[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1447184215' post='12580256']
I'm obviously late to the party on this but the movement Malaska describes (handle down to right pocket and club leveling out through impact and staying in front of you) seems very similar to Jimmy Ballard talking about the feeling of "thumbing a ride" with the left arm through the downswing via the left elbow pointing down to the ground. Ballard also big on keeping the club more vertically balanced like Malaska talks about keeping the weight of the club from getting behind you.

Just interesting how many instructors have different ways of explaining the same ideas.

On that note, I really think I need to try adding some of this move to my swing. Club has been getting behind me.
[/quote]

Let the clubhead get behind, just as long as you dont let your trail elbow get behind your right hip(assuming your right handed)

Move your right foot back and/or increase your turn; if you have to;
but make sure DTL, the right elbow is inside the right hip(closer to the target line than the right hip).
Now no matter how far the clubhead is behind(deep), you cant get stuck.
[/quote]

Not sure what this has to do with this thread. Let the clubhead fall behind, you can't get stuck?? That sounds completely contradictory to me. I'll listen to Malaska, thank you very much.
[/quote]

The thread is about getting the club in front, easily.
I'm just saying the clubhead can be behind as far as possible. its only when the trail elbow is behind our trail hip that we get stuck.

Supinating the trail arm, all the way, through impact, is another way; for those who arent able to make changes to their DS, once begun, when its less than 1/4 second. For gifted athletes whose reaction times are better than 1/10 second, carry on.

[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1447890569' post='12617054']
I'm obviously late to the party on this but the movement Malaska describes (handle down to right pocket and club leveling out through impact and staying in front of you) seems very similar to Jimmy Ballard talking about the feeling of "thumbing a ride" with the left arm through the downswing via the left elbow pointing down to the ground. Ballard also big on keeping the club more vertically balanced like Malaska talks about keeping the weight of the club from getting behind you.

Just interesting how many instructors have different ways of explaining the same ideas.

On that note, I really think I need to try adding some of this move to my swing. Club has been getting behind me.
[/quote]

Let the clubhead get behind, just as long as you dont let your trail elbow get behind your right hip(assuming your right handed)

but make sure DTL, the right elbow is inside the right hip(closer to the target line than the right hip).
[/quote]

Not sure what this has to do with this thread. Let the clubhead fall behind, you can't get stuck?? That sounds completely contradictory to me. I'll listen to Malaska, thank you very much.
[/quote]

I'm just saying the clubhead can be behind as far as possible. its only when the trail elbow is behind our trail hip that we get stuck.

Supinating the trail arm, all the way, through impact, is another way; for those who arent able to make changes to their DS, once begun, when its less than 1/4 second. For gifted athletes whose reaction times are better than 1/10 second, carry on.
[/quote]

Fair enough, but actually this thread is about Mike Malaska's videos/technique. At what point does he say leave the clubhead behind? What you are promoting is a different feel altogether. Not saying you can't play good golf by dropping the clubhead behind you, but getting the right elbow in front doesn't guarantee you won't get stuck either. If your lower body outraces the hands and you are a handle-dragger, that is stuck city, regardless of where the right elbow is. You are advocating something that completing flies in the face of this thread, no offense I just don't see how your points fit here.

[quote name='grizztrax' timestamp='1447898341' post='12617554']
[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1447890569' post='12617054']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair enough, but actually this thread is about Mike Malaska's videos/technique. At what point does he say leave the clubhead behind? What you are promoting is a different feel altogether. Not saying you can't play good golf by dropping the clubhead behind you, but getting the right elbow in front doesn't guarantee you won't get stuck either. If your lower body outraces the hands and you are a handle-dragger, that is stuck city, regardless of where the right elbow is. You are advocating something that completing flies in the face of this thread, no offense I just don't see how your points fit here.
[/quote]

If this thread is cheer leading for Mike M, then I see your point.

My mistake was thinking other ideas re getting the club in front of you, would be welcome... NOT.

kumbaya
I m out of here.

[quote name='flipmode' timestamp='1448409678' post='12642640']
Is this similar to what Martin Chuck is saying here?

[url="https://youtu.be/8l5P7z2nxhI"]https://youtu.be/8l5P7z2nxhI[/url]
[/quote]
I’m gonna say that it’s more like Monte’s left arm off the chest feel, for guys who prefer right arm feels.

How does the clubface not get too closed when the left arm is rotating counter clockwise from the top?

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

[quote name='WpgMike' timestamp='1448426399' post='12643766']
How does the clubface not get too closed when the left arm is rotating counter clockwise from the top?
[/quote]

I'm sure with any move you can over do it but, I think the key is the club heel leads the club head at around hip high. That should prevent over doing the second move of rotating the left arm into impact. If you don't lead with the heel you will most likely pull hook the ball.

[quote name='WpgMike' timestamp='1448426399' post='12643766']
[/quote]

Because the rotation of the body is keeping the face square.

If you don't rotate the body the toe will overtake and you will be hitting it left all day.

Ok so the counter clockwise rotation of the left arm happens at the same time as the rotation of the body. I guess Mike wants us to concentrate on the arm release rather than body rotation in order to get the club infront of the body through impact?

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

[quote name='WpgMike' timestamp='1448466456' post='12644926']
Ok so the counter clockwise rotation of the left arm happens at the same time as the rotation of the body. I guess Mike wants us to concentrate on the arm release rather than body rotation in order to get the club infront of the body through impact?
[/quote]

Correct. Get the momentum or weight (whatever terms works) of the club head moving out and in front before you 'fire the hips'. A lot of people will try to shallow the club and the weight of the club head drops behind.

[/quote]
The way I think of it is: The harder you stand up the shaft & tumble the clubhead outside the hands the more your body has to react to keep it on plane.

The reaction creates opposing force.

Clubhead wants to flee outward, lower body wants to keep it from doing so.

[/quote]

Malaska has worked with Bob Toski and knows homunculus.
ie control the hands and the body supports that movement.
It doesnt work the other way around.

[b][size=3]We all have "natural" swings.[/size][/b][size=3] [/size][size=3]The problem is, a natural swing produces a slice. That's because the homonculus, the part of the brain that controls motor movement, sees the hands as the largest part of your anatomy. When you're a baby you're constantly moving your hands away from your body so you can explore things in your environment. Now, when the day comes to play golf, the instinct to move your hands away from you really takes over. On the downswing the hands move away from the body too soon, out toward the target line, and you end up cutting across the ball from out to in.[/size]
[b][size=3]Thanks to the homonculus,[/size][/b][size=3] [/size][size=3]I make a very good living.[/size]
[size=3][url="http://www.golfdigest.com/story/myshot_gd0208"]http://www.golfdigest.com/story/myshot_gd0208[/url][/size]

I just shot a career low 75 on Wednesday at a tough course using the MM swing. Made a bad swing on 17, tee shot OB but recovered for a bogey. This after shooting 38 for nine a couple days earlier. I was as high as a 16 HC earlier this summer, usually around a 12. Pretty excited for next year, too bad the snow is flying now.

[quote name='grizztrax' timestamp='1448648417' post='12652818']I just shot a career low 75 on Wednesday at a tough course using the MM swing. Made a bad swing on 17, tee shot OB but recovered for a bogey. This after shooting 38 for nine a couple days earlier. I was as high as a 16 HC earlier this summer, usually around a 12. Pretty excited for next year, too bad the snow is flying now.[/quote]
I had been struggling all summer, mid to high 80's. Found this thread and now my handicap is at an all time low of 6.5. Last five rounds all 75-78!

Wondered if anyone has thoughts on the MM swing and the iteach video on Post 53 of the Flightscope and Swing Plane thread - added below.

You only have to watch the end of Dans video (all of it is worthwhile) to see an example of standing the club up.

The reason I ask is the associated hand path for the swing is important, not just in position but in height.

Think I had a bit of a breakthrough on the range today without knowing completely why. Yes it fits into comments above about controlling the hands but it feels like a change in the relationship between hands and club face which Dans video may have prompted.

If I learn more will follow up.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JLb1iJTJh0#t=274[/media]

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

For those of you looking some real world proof of this method, Mike's student Julie Yang (featured in a few of his videos) is at LPGA QSchool this week. After the first round, she is tied for third with a -6 (66). They are playing 2 courses and the course she played (Jones course) appears to the be the harder of the two. Her score was the lowest shot yesterday on that course by 3!!!

[quote name='exgolfpro' timestamp='1449154770' post='12675400']
For those of you looking some real world proof of this method, Mike's student Julie Yang (featured in a few of his videos) is at LPGA QSchool this week. After the first round, she is tied for third with a -6 (66). They are playing 2 courses and the course she played (Jones course) appears to the be the harder of the two. Her score was the lowest shot yesterday on that course by 3!!!
[/quote]

Don't have to convince me. This has turned my game around completely and it has really been horrible the last three years. It is the best explanation I have ever heard of what should happen in the downswing. I use Malaska's downswing with Leadbetter's A swing backswing and I never get the club behind me! I have gotten rid of my big block right finally! My 'miss' now is a little pull draw but it is by no means an 'off the planet' miss.

I had no idea how much the arms have to come down in the ds. But it makes total sense because of the distance they go back. And i realize this is all basic introduction learning. But it's amazing how a person gets caught into looking for "moves" to fix a swing. I'm extremely guilty in that area

"Patience without understanding"

[quote name='thekru' timestamp='1449162473' post='12675910']
[/quote]

Don't have to convince me. This has turned my game around completely and it has really been horrible the last three years. It is the best explanation I have ever heard of what should happen in the downswing. I use Malaska's downswing with Leadbetter's A swing backswing and I never get the club behind me! I have gotten rid of my big block right finally! My 'miss' now is a little pull draw but it is by no means an 'off the planet' miss.
[/quote]

May I ask if you make the A swing move on transition ie. the V plane move?

If the answer is no expect further questions LOL.

to expertise.

[quote name='Millbrook' timestamp='1449173566' post='12676694']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I do focus on the V plane. MY FEEL is club is on the V plane going back, a small shallowing move and then I throw my right hand (or a flip sensation) at the ball while my arms drop.

Have you been doing the same sort of thing? The A swing backswing and Malaska downswing? What are your thoughts?

[quote name='thekru' timestamp='1449186170' post='12677444']
[quote name='Millbrook' timestamp='1449173566' post='12676694']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I do focus on the V plane. MY FEEL is club is on the V plane going back, a small shallowing move and then I throw my right hand (or a flip sensation) at the ball while my arms drop.

Have you been doing the same sort of thing? The A swing backswing and Malaska downswing? What are your thoughts?
[/quote]

I was aware of the A swing before I read your post but hadn't really looked into it until I saw your comments so checked out the Golf Digest Videos.

DL talks about the club shaft matching the spine in the backswing and standing the club up similar to MM but also shows there is a degree of variation on how much of this you do in the vertical dimension.

I'm a bit puzzled by your comment that - 'MY FEEL is club is on the V plane going back' because I thought the V plane was created by the subsequent shallowing move you describe.

It may be semantics but I'd be interested if you have anything further to add.

In any event the amount of the shallowing move will be determined by the exact position of the club in the vertical dimension at the end of the backswing so what you say makes sense to me.

I think I am doing a similar thing on the downswing and I posted above (712) that it came about from an iteach video where he discusses the club head path in relation to the hands and handpath.

I had never really grasped this before (but have always remembered a post you started where you commented that the swing was about controlling the path and the face) but feel that the club head is outside and above the hands. MM uses the 'turning the steering wheel analogy' which I understood but could not feel properly.

Now I have the sensation that in transition I shallow the club, drop my arms, keep the cluphead above the hands and roll the right hand so the head is square with the ball well before the clubhead gets to 9.00 o'clock. My description may be different but I can equate it to your description of throwing the right hand.

You say - a flip sensation - which as a flipper I'm not sure about, my feel is the hinge of the right wrist increases when I do this.

I've only had 2 range sessions and one round but was hitting he ball very well. I shortened my backswing to manage this move and took an extra club because I'm not sure yet about getting the transition right even with a 3/4 backswing.

I'd almost discovered this around the green but hadn't grasped what it was I was doing but now I've got the feel it works with the short game as well.

I'm about to start the Tathata programme so don't want to embark on anything new until I see what they have to offer but will continue with this approach as I go through the programme until anything counter to it surfaces.

A final thing to add is that I think in any physical activity it is much easier to change direction from A to B than it is to get to B from a static position.

Could it be that the shallowing move from the A swing backswing better enables you to make the MM downswing?

Be interested in your further observations.

to expertise.

I watch this stuff and practice about every other day with a short training club indoors, hoping not to lose this feeling during the winter. I've been playing my best golf since finding this thread, dropped immediately to single digit (6.3) from a 12 at the beginning of summer. This feel / concept and videos along with this [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITRaVI6lDPE"]putting technique[/url], which surprisingly has made the biggest difference when applying it to the chipping motion = PURE GOLD!

The thing I noticed that helps is that you can't be trying to get your hands back to the ball. I've found it much easier to hit the ball if you think about trying to line everything up by the time you get your hands to your trailing thigh. There's no way you actually do but otherwise you just won't release it fast enough.