2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mike Malaska - Getting the club in front of you. Made easy...

CrisPy3

Gray back
I think if you consider at the top of the swing the club is parallel to the target line or near that and then rotation happens where is the clubhead going if the player is not pulling the hands like mad? If the hands stay quiet the clubhead actually moves away from the target line during the rotation. this is a flattening action that happens.
Many people in golf are spending all their time trying to make this flattening happen but IMO once you have quiet hands you need to work against that momentum just as Malaska says. It's not a super forceful action. It's just all about making the pressures you are using work on plane instead of dragging and getting underplane.
Rotation itself moves the clubhead away from target from the top if the hands and arms stay quiet.

See ball hit ball
KISS

[quote name='Hoganstriker' timestamp='1445999903' post='12516598']Gray back
I think if you consider at the top of the swing the club is parallel to the target line or near that and then rotation happens where is the clubhead going if the player is not pulling the hands like mad? If the hands stay quiet the clubhead actually moves away from the target line during the rotation. this is a flattening action that happens.
Many people in golf are spending all their time trying to make this flattening happen but IMO once you have quiet hands you need to work against that momentum just as Malaska says. It's not a super forceful action. It's just all about making the pressures you are using work on plane instead of dragging and getting underplane.
Rotation itself moves the clubhead away from target from the top if the hands and arms stay quiet.[/quote]Which is why I think this teaching is geared more toward better players who have quieter hands and plenty of rotation.You are absolutely right that rotation causes the club to move away from the line,no doubt.But like I said,mid to high cappers are not doing that for the most part.They are pulling on that handle and getting the shaft steeper with a clubhead coming over their right shoulder.Most cases I would bet anyway.

[quote name='Grayback1973' timestamp='1446001326' post='12516704'][quote name='Hoganstriker' timestamp='1445999903' post='12516598']Gray back
Rotation itself moves the clubhead away from target from the top if the hands and arms stay quiet.[/quote]Which is why I think this teaching is geared more toward better players who have quieter hands and plenty of rotation.You are absolutely right that rotation causes the club to move away from the line,no doubt.But like I said,mid to high cappers are not doing that for the most part.They are pulling on that handle and getting the shaft steeper with a clubhead coming over their right shoulder.Most cases I would bet anyway.[/quote]
Grayback personally don't think high handicappers have more active hands. In fact it's the opposite slicers don't slice because their hands are active and rotation doesn't happen. The slice happens because the hands and arms are not active enough. The shoulders rotate to fast and cause the over the top. The way he explains it actually tries to get people to work their hands and arms correctly. Most high handicaps rotate too much and hands and arms work incorrectly or not enough.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Wish he had some more drills for learning this swing. I have kind of plateaued out after about 6 weeks. Whenever I get in trouble I go back to the Joe Nichols drill and it seems to fix whatever is ailing. But I would like to improve my understanding of the swing and improve my connection of arms and body.

[quote name='joshsparham' timestamp='1445973991' post='12514336']
Yeah I can't get the feel for heel leading the toe with the other moves he describes....he says when the toe leads the heel it is from the right hand not working properly...but what does he mean? When I do the moves he talks about the face goes dead shut
[/quote]
when the face shuts the right arm has rotated much more than it should. When done correctly leading with the heel at p6 it hasnt hope that makes sense

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

[quote name='solarbear88' timestamp='1446006259' post='12516914']
Wish he had some more drills for learning this swing. I have kind of plateaued out after about 6 weeks. Whenever I get in trouble I go back to the Joe Nichols drill and it seems to fix whatever is ailing. But I would like to improve my understanding of the swing and improve my connection of arms and body.
[/quote]

This really helps me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jnJihBGtSg

funnily enough ive never ever been able to hit a ball with just my left hand on the club, and that is down to me pulling so much with it and the hands working out at the start of the downswing. I never really knew why until I understood my swing more and where my hands actually need to move in the downswing.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Another video. Malaska working with student on downswing. AT 6.40 student hits what looks like a low hook or pull and Malaska explains why. Might help Josh and the others amongst us who have experienced that;

[media]http://youtu.be/cCRsU7OAJqg[/media]

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

[quote name='joshsparham' timestamp='1445973991' post='12514336']
Yeah I can't get the feel for heel leading the toe with the other moves he describes....he says when the toe leads the heel it is from the right hand not working properly...but what does he mean? When I do the moves he talks about the face goes dead shut
[/quote]

For me to get this move I begin my downswing with my right hand coming down but my palm is facing out away from me so that my pinky finger is closer towards the ground and my thumb is more towards the sky (imagine a karate chop move). If you try this move with the palm towards the ground the club face will close and the results will be hooks. Doing it this way allows me to lead with the heel and not the toe.

[quote name='dslatt33' timestamp='1446039567' post='12517820'][quote name='joshsparham' timestamp='1445973991' post='12514336']
[/quote]

For me to get this move I begin my downswing with my right hand coming down but my palm is facing out away from me so that my pinky finger is closer towards the ground and my thumb is more towards the sky (imagine a karate chop move). If you try this move with the palm towards the ground the club face will close and the results will be hooks. Doing it this way allows me to lead with the heel and not the toe.[/quote]
Interesting I'll have to give that a try. So almost a bow in the left hand and turning out the right hand? . Don't know of that makes sense

[quote name='Grayback1973' timestamp='1446038297' post='12517740']Off topic but can anybody tell me why some threads will not load on my devices,yet will load fine on my pc at home?Any way to fix it?[/quote]
Some problem with the app not sure why. For those threads I go to safari on my iPhone and they pull up fine. It's a pain but works.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Couple of videos in a similar vein. Monte's close the window. And Ryan's pull the handle (though this one is more about the danger of overdoing the drill). I've have better success with a steeper backswing (club pointing inside target line at 9:00 rather than at or slightly inside the target line) and lead with the right elbow but that's just me. Can see how Malaska's drill promotes getting the arms and club out in front. Appears to me is this drill is more for folks that get stuck and end up flipping - folks going OTT already not so much.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok3LX7ZqeQE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok3LX7ZqeQE[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYDpmnmQCw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYDpmnmQCw[/url]

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

[quote name='joshsparham' timestamp='1446039789' post='12517830']
[quote name='dslatt33' timestamp='1446039567' post='12517820'][quote name='joshsparham' timestamp='1445973991' post='12514336']
[/quote]

For me to get this move I begin my downswing with my right hand coming down but my palm is facing out away from me so that my pinky finger is closer towards the ground and my thumb is more towards the sky (imagine a karate chop move). If you try this move with the palm towards the ground the club face will close and the results will be hooks. Doing it this way allows me to lead with the heel and not the toe.[/quote]
Interesting I'll have to give that a try. So almost a bow in the left hand and turning out the right hand? . Don't know of that makes sense
[/quote]

What has worked for me is a 2 step thought process from the top of the downswing:
1st move - Right hand comes down in karate chop motion palm faces away from me so the heel leads, not the toe.
2nd move - Right after 1st move I tumble the back of the left hand down into impact this move steepens my left arm, closes the club face and allows the momentum of the move to fling the clubface out to the ball.

Give it a try hopefully it works for you at the very least it should help with the feeling of the heel leading from the top.

[quote name='Grayback1973' timestamp='1446038297' post='12517740'] Off topic but can anybody tell me why some threads will not load on my devices,yet will load fine on my pc at home?Any way to fix it? [/quote]

If you are taking about the GolfWRX App and get an error like the attached image...it's a known bug in the app (for +1 years). No known fix that I am aware.

[attachment=3011460:GolfWRX App Error.PNG]

[quote name='Grayback1973' timestamp='1446038297' post='12517740']
Off topic but can anybody tell me why some threads will not load on my devices,yet will load fine on my pc at home?Any way to fix it?
[/quote]
Hit the three dots in the upper right and select Web View. More of a workaround than a fix, but will do the trick.

[quote name='Grayback1973' timestamp='1446058465' post='12519412']
Nothing to do with pictures.Just some threads don't open on a device using the app.It just stays in the "loading" screen with the spinny thing.
[/quote]

The app is buggy and isn't supported anymore. I use the mobile web version in chrome.

[quote name='buckeye88us' timestamp='1446073830' post='12520756']
New video by Mr. Malaska. Seems to go into greater detail compared to the other videos Ive seen.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Cl2J_-dCk&feature=em-subs_digest-g"]https://www.youtube....m-subs_digest-g[/url]
[/quote]

I really like how he listens to what his student says and doesn't just diss him. Actually, works with the man to further his understanding. Great teacher.

[quote name='Grayback1973' timestamp='1446129238' post='12523230']
I just like watching the guy teach.He's got this authority about him that is charismatic.
[/quote]

Plus 1 .
Malaska 's level of explanation and ability to simplify things can only be achieved when you have worked and taught a discipline with involvement day in and day out , for decades.

New video by Mr. Malaska. Seems to go into greater detail compared to the other videos Ive seen.

Not everyone stalls and flips with the P6 position Mr. Malaska describes throughout the video. IMO, depends on how good your pivot is ...

md_horschel_snead_091714.jpg

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Not everyone stalls and flips with the P6 position Mr. Malaska describes throughout the video. IMO, depends on how good your pivot is ...

md_horschel_snead_091714.jpg

I'm not sure he was saying that being in that position forces a stall and flip but that if you get to that position by the wrong way then you will stall and flip, that's the trouble with using photos

[quote name='Millbrook' timestamp='1446135900' post='12523814']
Ghost,

Would you describe the Malaska approach as an arm swing where the body reacts and doesn't rely on the pivot to square the face?
[/quote]

Not at all, his method also appears to rely on a good pivot as well. My issue is the way he presents "leading with the right elbow" as incorrect and prone to a stall and flip. Most DTL views of great players have the appearance of the P6 position that I posted above with Snead and Horschel and a proper pivot brings the club down on the correct plane to P7. As has been mentioned in the thread several times, I believe Malaska's method is more of a feel for those who are prone to dropping the rear shoulder, getting underplane, and getting the hands too far out on the DS.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

I agree with the above comment. Malaska is a great teacher. A lot of people overuse the body with the club coming in late time after time. This move will help with that.

I agree with the above comment. Malaska is a great teacher. A lot of people overuse the body with the club coming in late time after time. This move will help with that.