2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

I've been lurking around here this week. Interesting place you guys have here.

I started playing Golf in 1998. I played weekly for a few years there, then several times a year, and then a few times a year. I finally figured out that I could sneak in some extra enjoyment by just hitting balls across my property when I didn't have time to play. Life is filled with so many distractions.

Anyway......I jumped into this sport back when Edwin Watts was packed full of the Big Bertha, Great Big Bertha, and Biggest Big Bertha; as well as the 975D and 975F clubs. I visited EW often, becoming a big fan of the used clubs section of the store. I remember the roll out of the GBB Hawkeye, and the GBB VFT & ERC; as well as the Adams Tight Lies and Orlimar Tri Metal woods just like it was yesterday. I look back upon this time period fondly. These are the clubs I like best. It seems like this was the most awesome time for golf clubs, especially the metal woods.

My favorite Driver is a 9.5* Titleist 983e with a Graphite Design YS-6 Stiff flex shaft. My Favorite Golf Club period is a 9.5* Titleist 975D with a Graphalloy ProLite Stiff flex shaft, and I have 2 of them.

(Taylor Made got passed up for a while by Callaway and Titleist clubs, imho. Callaway and Titleist were "IT" at the time.)

I played a set of Ping K1's, and then a couple sets of early model King Cobra Irons. I tried a bunch of different Ping putters, and then a few Odysseys. Cleveland was still a fully-fledged competitor in the club market; especially with their wedges. Cleveland made some awesome wedges.

In recent years, I have picked up a few older woods from thrift stores; namely Persimmons from just before the transition, and tiny Metal woods from just after the transition. Powerbilt Citation, Spalding Executive, Hogan, Taylor Made Pittsburgh Persimmon, Taylor Made Tour Spoon, etc. I have tried to hit them all; and some better than others. This is about as far back as my nostalgia goes.

I have a ladies' Cobra Shallow Face 12* Driver that totally has the look of a persimmon club in design, but the materials used show that it is from the transition period. Steel clubhead, and Graphite shaft, but the head is attached and wrapped just like a persimmon. It hits like a dream.

I have discovered that I hit small-headed Hybrids better than I hit Fairway Woods; but of all the FW's, I probably like the 980F series best. Those were really sweet. The Callaway Steelheads were nice too.

OK, that's it. I have spilled my guts. That's all I've got to contribute here.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first step in addressing a golf problem is joining GolfWRX. Congratulations on taking the first step.

Now go try some blades, play from the forward tees, don't wear jeans, never say your drives are short of 300 yards, into the wind, state that your normal 7 iron is 210 and you will be fine.

You are among friends.

Welcome aboard Sky High. Yes, sublime little corner this is. All are welcome, we don't make judgements, anything goes with respect to approaches to the game and the clubs used to play it, and we are all here to support one another in our enjoyment of the pursuit. No right or wrong. And hang here long enough you will receive history lessons on any number of topics from many learned individuals.

As we tend to be on the more seasoned side of the age curve, we do not spend a whole lot of time revealing how far we hit the ball. We talk about feel, accuracy, and tempo. And speaking for myself, think it's a good day if my drives are 210 and finding the short grass. Lastly, to the best of my knowledge reading the tea leaves around here, most of us play blades in some form or fashion (although by no means a requirement). Not necessarily because it makes us better, or lowers or score. Simply because they bring us enjoyment.

Found the following written by Scooter McTavish, one of our esteemed contributors, a well written synopsis of the the tenor of things in this small corner of the golf internets (with only slight editing):

[color=#282828]".........However, when we meet them with kindness, and welcome them to our little safe haven, they usually wander off elsewhere to the place where their keyboard warrior skills get them a reaction.[/color]

[color=#282828]Even when we infrequently talk politics (like earlier in this thread) there is a general respect for the opinions of others. We're all mature enough to understand that we may not agree on everything, but we do respect the intelligent and well-thought out opinions others share. You know, the intelligent discourse that seems to be disappearing from society on an almost daily basis.[/color]

[color=#282828]Of course, classics themselves are resistant to the sort of quantification the other folks ascribe to golf clubs. We rarely talk about trackman, smash factor, launch monitors, etc here, other than a reference such as "I was in a launch monitor, and saw my driver swing speed has dropped from 95 to 85 because the arthritis in my back acts up when I swing too hard".[/color]

[color=#282828]Instead, we talk about feel, aesthetics, tradition, and memory, while also enjoying a brisk trade in nostalgia. Like faith, these are individual experiences, and cannot be measured, compared, or argued about.[/color]

[color=#282828]We also understand golf is less a competition, and more a sport through which one comes to understand themselves. This is reflected in our shared enjoyment when one does well with a new club, swing change, or golf ball. We are not jealous that others are doing well. We instead share their joy, as we know that our WRX friends have managed to find that little slice of happiness we all seek when we go golfing. As much as anything, golf is a game of hope, and we are happy to see other realize their hopes.[/color]

[color=#282828]Not much to be histrionic about here. And I for one am glad you found us. Nothing (and I mean nothing) over the past three years has made me as enthusiastic about golf as my friends in this forum. [/color][color=#282828]Speaking from experience, if one wanders in here, and one belongs here, then one stays here, and you certainly are one of us."[/color]

[color=#282828]Scooter McTavish, Random Conversation Thread, Post #1371 (11/12/15).[/color]

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Every once in a while, my wife will drag me along on some random excursion which invariably ends up at a thrift store. During maybe 1 out of every 3 such outings, I will pick up an old golf club or two and purchase them. The usual going rate is $2.00 per club, although a couple of years ago I sometimes got them for $1.00 per club. I never find any valuable clubs, and most of the time they aren't clubs that I would play in an actual round of golf. But they all get hit a few times out in the yard, just for good measure.

My best / most usable "Thrift" finds so far have been:

Center-Shafted Q-Roll Firebird Putter $2.00
One of the best Putters I think I've ever hit.

56* Vokey Sand Wedge $1.00 - $2.00
Traded it in on something else at Play It Again. I am not a big Vokey Wedge fan. But Vokey did design the 975D!!!

Lady Cobra 12* Shallow Face Driver with Graphite Shaft $2.00
Not a Stiff shaft, which I would prefer; but nice and straight off the tee. Easy to hit, like a 2W or 3W off the tee.

Powerbilt Citation 3W in very good condition. $2.00

Callaway Great Big Bertha 10* with I believe a factory Stiff graphite shaft. $1.00
(All Shaft Markings Gone)

A Cheap Brand Face-Balanced Mallet Putter with a Huge Head on it. $1.00
Putts really well. Marked up from bag chatter without head cover.

Several of the first generation Taylor Made metal woods $1.00 - $2.00
I have a 2W, 4W, and 7W that I really like out of these.

Of course I have found really good stuff at Play It Again Sports, but those weren't purchased for $1.00 - $2.00 each either.

I want the head, shaft, and grip to all be in really good condition; whether I am paying $1.00 or $30.00 for the club. I look for clubs that are ready to be played as-is. I try not to spend over $15 for an old club, but if it's something I really like, $20 - $30 is not uncommon. I will give $20 - $30 for a really nice clean 983e, 975D, 980f, or 975f if it has a top notch Stiff Flex graphite shaft in it like a Graphalloy ProLite, or Aldila NV, or Graphite Design YS-6, or maybe even a True Temper EI70.

Welcome to our little side of Golf WRX Heaven. Fella really did a good job of summing up what we are all about on this end and so did Sky High.
I will admit I am a classic club Ho I still have clubs I played in high school some 40 years ago. I hardly get rid of anything. I always scrounge the thrifts and yard sales looking for clubs plus I have another source I work for a metal recycling company and you would not believe what comes in there. Now with me this is no recent thing I have always hoed clubs since I was a kid. Seriously I thought there was something wrong with me until I met the folks on here.
I actually thought I was a classic expert until I got on here. Such a collective wealth of knowledge. I have learned a lot especially on the makes and brands from across the pond.
IMHO there are no set rules in classic hoeing collecting or playing. You for example are playing and collecting clubs from the era you learned the game in nothing at all wrong with that.
My front line stuff is antique to most folks standards but when I play what I call strictly vintage with my Persimmons and older irons there is nothing like it. It is funny when folks say "you know if you had some newer stuff you could really play" they do not have a clue. I love it when some of the numerious nosy retirees ask me "why are you still hitting those antique blades?" my standard reply "because I still CAN"
Yep welcome to our classic world I like it over here

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Post away on whatever suits your fancy Sky High. Our attention spans are of sufficient length to read what you take the time to compose.

Signed,

An Old Fellow that can still read and write.

"Because I can". "Because I want to".

[quote name='Sky High Handicap' timestamp='1451582442' post='12784792']
"All of your posts are too long to read.

tl;dr

Deuces."

Well, us old fellows have more time for reading. And we didn't grow up on cell phones either, but point well taken.
[/quote]

Such is the case of those raised in the Twitter universe. If it can't said described or explained in 140 characters or less, it's not worth their time to read. Perhaps that explains why we have so much knowledge yet so little understanding. Its just not worth the effort...

:huh:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Welcome! I draw the line at tweeting. lol not for me. As a long time member I should have landed here much sooner then I have but I am here now. It's a joy to be able to post about my game w/o being told how I should play and what I should play by someone who was not even born when I had been playing golf for decades.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

My apologies then. :blush:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

My friend uses old, small-head Taylor Made Burner driver and spoon, and old Ping irons. He said they were what he wished he could play when he was younger.

Personally I think he'd have a better time on the course using much flatter lies and using his legs more, and knowing him I think that he'd have been able to learn a lot from feedback if he got any from his clubs. But he loves his set and it's nice to play with a guy who is having fun.

But playing a round with guys using massive heads who want to go from the tips is not too fun.

"Guys it was a joke.."

Oh, I wasn't offended. It's a reality of the day in which we live. People want the short version, but some stories require more words.

"I farted". Now see, that story doesn't require very many words to get the point across.

But explaining what age you were when you started Golf, what clubs you had back then, and the journey since then is a bit of a long story.

Hello, my name is Sky High Handicap. I am not very good at Golf. I three putt too often to score well. I still consider breaking 100 a good round. I just want to have fun. It's definitely more fun in the fairway.

[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1451587397' post='12785128']
Welcome! I draw the line at tweeting. lol not for me. As a long time member I should have landed here much sooner then I have but I am here now. It's a joy to be able to post about my game w/o being told how I should play and what I should play by someone who was not even born when I had been playing golf for decades.
[/quote]LOL you summed it up for me in a nutshell my sentiments exactly. And I do not Tweet or Facebook either. Here and one other golf forum are my social media as it is said. Heck I have clubs in my front line bag that are older than some of these self styled guru parking lot pros playing today!

I landed here because I like and mostly play old bullseye putters. I started looking for them to have a putter like my mom had.I have yet to get one just like her's. I will keep trying and looking. I did manage to get the same year of irons she had. which has led me to get the manufacturers previous model, the much revered Staff Button Back. This forum has also led me to get some wood woods. I enjoy smacking the ball with them and get questioned by my wife why don't you just use the wood cause your in the fairway more! Nothing like seeing younger guys expressions after ripping one dead straight down the middle of the fairway.
Back to putters a quick count 12 putters stashed in the bedroom 2 at work and a couple in the storage area. My wife said i hoard them. I don't have a problem compared to some folks on here.
Enjoy your classic clubs!
Jimmy B

[quote name='jbucher' timestamp='1451662435' post='12788130']
I landed here because I like and mostly play old bullseye putters. I started looking for them to have a putter like my mom had. I have yet to get one just like her's. I will keep trying and looking.
[/quote]

JB, do you know what specific model you're looking for? If not, a general description. Seems as though all of us have a bullseye or two around. Maybe we could be of assistance in your pursuit. Just a thought.

"I'm confused, you mention you just landed here but the side profile says you joined in 2013 and have192 posts. Am I missing something? If so welcome"

I just landed here in the "Classic Golf" section. The "Old" Equipment section. I stumbled upon this section via a link posted in a thread over in the "Modern" Equipment forum. I then lurked and scrolled back through the pages reading Classic Golf threads for about a week and realized that: none of my clubs are brand new, and most of the clubs I like best are 12 to 18 years old now. I also have some clubs I really like that are past the 25 year mark now.

Maybe this forum is a better fit for my tastes? I sure don't rush out and buy new clubs. I don't even think about doing it. I don't buy clubs that are only one or two cycles old. I am a cheap old fart, and I am not going to spend $400 to $500 on a golf club that I will be able to buy for $30 later in life. I can wait..... Some of the best drives I've ever hit were with DT90's, or Professional 90's.

The new stuff is overrated, except for the small headed Hybrids. I have to admit that they are easier for me to hit for distance in the fairway than high lofted fairway woods are. I can keep the small headed Hybrid low and control it better. Probably the shorter shaft?

[quote name='Sky High Handicap' timestamp='1451667564' post='12788474']

The new stuff is overrated, except for the small headed Hybrids. I have to admit that they are easier for me to hit for distance in the fairway than high lofted fairway woods are. I can keep the small headed Hybrid low and control it better. Probably the shorter shaft?
[/quote]

I have a matched set of hybrids -- Nickent 3 DX DC's with Grafalloy shafts; 20°, 23°, 26°. They're getting on about 10 years old now even though I only acquired them maybe 5 years ago as NOS. I'll never sell them as they keep the ball down and aren't draw biased. You can play them with anything from shovels to blades and they'd fit right in. Which reminds me, they deserve more bag time this year in my bag for all seasons when distance maybe at a premium -- read titanium driver in bag.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

"I'm confused, you mention you just landed here but the side profile says you joined in 2013 and have192 posts. Am I missing something? If so welcome"

I just landed here in the "Classic Golf" section. The "Old" Equipment section. I stumbled upon this section via a link posted in a thread over in the "Modern" Equipment forum. I then lurked and scrolled back through the pages reading Classic Golf threads for about a week and realized that: none of my clubs are brand new, and most of the clubs I like best are 12 to 18 years old now. I also have some clubs I really like that are past the 25 year mark now.

Maybe this forum is a better fit for my tastes? I sure don't rush out and buy new clubs. I don't even think about doing it. I don't buy clubs that are only one or two cycles old. I am a cheap old fart, and I am not going to spend $400 to $500 on a golf club that I will be able to buy for $30 later in life. I can wait..... Some of the best drives I've ever hit were with DT90's, or Professional 90's.

[/quote]

Haha great, good stuff. Yeah, most likely the shorter shaft for sure. The new clubs are better for off center hits but if you're striking it in the middle anything is good!

• Qi10 Driver
  • Qi10 3w
  • Qi10 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • MG4 / SM10 Wedges
  • Every Putter
  • TP5x Ball

I tweet on occasion, but mostly lurk and read a select set of tweets of those I follow. Like Liverpool FC, Mick Foley, Mara Wilson (former child actress, for those unaware), the Minnesota Twins (MLB team), a goodly number of my friends, and so on.

Use Twitter's direct message feature to tweet back and forth with a friend and fellow Golf Nerd in Cincinnati, even more so during Liverpool matches. Which has been a bit of a bumpy ride in the last couple years (those of you who follow futbol will know of what I speak).

Everything has its use. And as always, within reason. :)

Happy New Year to my golf nerd brothers and sisters :drinks:

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[/quote]LOL I can see we will get along great because I am "a cheap old fart too!"

[quote name='jbucher' timestamp='1451662435' post='12788130']
I landed here because I like and mostly play old bullseye putters. I started looking for them to have a putter like my mom had.I have yet to get one just like her's. I will keep trying and looking. I did manage to get the same year of irons she had. which has led me to get the manufacturers previous model, the much revered Staff Button Back. This forum has also led me to get some wood woods. I enjoy smacking the ball with them and get questioned by my wife why don't you just use the wood cause your in the fairway more! Nothing like seeing younger guys expressions after ripping one dead straight down the middle of the fairway.
Back to putters a quick count 12 putters stashed in the bedroom 2 at work and a couple in the storage area. My wife said i hoard them. I don't have a problem compared to some folks on here.
Enjoy your classic clubs!
Jimmy B
[/quote]Only 12 putters and your wife thinks you are a club hoarder---- Naaw that is a drop in the bucket I have at least 50 or more the newest one is a 3 year old Nike 003 I got for free