Life of a Conditional Web.com Member

GolfingBro

Matt,

What is your putting practice routine, and how did you get good at putting when you were learning to play?

Thank you for keeping us all up to date and being so forthcoming.

I have just kept improving with my putting year after year. When I was younger my swing coach taught me the basics of setup, grip, aim and then I purchased putting tools/aids to work on my stroke. I used a putting arc to groove a good stroke. I would say I started putting really well my senior year of college (stroke, getting the ball started on line). So it took a good 10 years for that to happen.

Putting practice routine changes depending what I'm working on. I like doing a circle drill after I work on my mechanics.

My putting routine is: I look around the hole, get a read of the putt. I line up the ball with the line thing that comes on the ball already (i don't draw my own line). I look at the line again to see if its good. I set up next to the ball, take two practice strokes. Then I move to address the ball, I look up and down the line twice and then hit the putt.

Do you do a draw/fade with irons by alignment (swing straight, face open or closed) as opposed to a push draw/pull fade?

I draw/fade using alignment. Now sometimes I aim straight for a straight ball and I will pull fade or push draw. If I'm intending to hit a cut I will make sure I'm aimed left and if I'm hitting a draw I will be slightly closed (my mistake on draws is sometimes I aim too far closed and miss right of the target due to my alignment)

Matt,

What is your putting practice routine, and how did you get good at putting when you were learning to play?

Thank you for keeping us all up to date and being so forthcoming.

I have just kept improving with my putting year after year. When I was younger my swing coach taught me the basics of setup, grip, aim and then I purchased putting tools/aids to work on my stroke. I used a putting arc to groove a good stroke. I would say I started putting really well my senior year of college (stroke, getting the ball started on line). So it took a good 10 years for that to happen.

Putting practice routine changes depending what I'm working on. I like doing a circle drill after I work on my mechanics.

My putting routine is: I look around the hole, get a read of the putt. I line up the ball with the line thing that comes on the ball already (i don't draw my own line). I look at the line again to see if its good. I set up next to the ball, take two practice strokes. Then I move to address the ball, I look up and down the line twice and then hit the putt.

Weird I do the exact same thing, glad it works for one of us.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Matt, great thread, thanks for posting. I'm a high handicapper (16) and I (as well as most high handicappers) find it much easier to hit hybrids, rather than 3 and 4 irons. I notice most pros use irons, is there a reason? What is the advantage of hitting irons instead of hybrids for low handicap players?

What I have noticed playing with guys who use hybrids and guys who use long irons is the difference in workability. Hybrids are great clubs for someone who is looking to hit it higher, land it softer, and have a consistent trajectory and shot shape. Due to the design of a hybrid it is not as workable as a long iron. Irons are easier to flight down, and even hook or slice more when you need them.

The reason I don't have a hybrid is I'm a high spin and high ball flight player so I never needed to get the ball up in the air. Plus, I like to work my long irons whether it be hitting a soft high cut into a par five or turning over that same iron off the tee to get some roll out.

The one area where a hybrid is great on tour (or a 5 wood for guys like tiger), is out of thick rough. Hybrids do a great job out of rough and the club head wont get grabbed by the blades of grass.

Also, the irons designed today are much easier to hit up in the air due to the fantastic technology inside them. I hope this answers that and keep the questions coming guys.

When you say "5 wood for guys like tiger", do you mean that guys like him (and Rory) have any practical reason to use a 5-wood instead of a hybrid? Or are they just being conservative, using what they have always used?

Anyway, having a +5 or 6 hcp is just unreal. Best of luck!

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

Hi Matthew, my name is Madison and I am Richard's fiance and I wanted to use my first post to say hi and wish you the very best in your journey to the tour. I have no doubt that we will see you there. Please tell your mother that I said hi :)

Thank you

This is not a Monday Matthew was at but look at all the w/d from the guys who have been at it for awhile. Sure matches what he said earlier..

https://nflapga.blue...leaderboard.htm

\

Yep. Guys withdraw if playing badly through 1 hole or through 9 holes.

Matt, great thread, thanks for posting. I'm a high handicapper (16) and I (as well as most high handicappers) find it much easier to hit hybrids, rather than 3 and 4 irons. I notice most pros use irons, is there a reason? What is the advantage of hitting irons instead of hybrids for low handicap players?

What I have noticed playing with guys who use hybrids and guys who use long irons is the difference in workability. Hybrids are great clubs for someone who is looking to hit it higher, land it softer, and have a consistent trajectory and shot shape. Due to the design of a hybrid it is not as workable as a long iron. Irons are easier to flight down, and even hook or slice more when you need them.

The reason I don't have a hybrid is I'm a high spin and high ball flight player so I never needed to get the ball up in the air. Plus, I like to work my long irons whether it be hitting a soft high cut into a par five or turning over that same iron off the tee to get some roll out.

The one area where a hybrid is great on tour (or a 5 wood for guys like tiger), is out of thick rough. Hybrids do a great job out of rough and the club head wont get grabbed by the blades of grass.

Also, the irons designed today are much easier to hit up in the air due to the fantastic technology inside them. I hope this answers that and keep the questions coming guys.

When you say "5 wood for guys like tiger", do you mean that guys like him (and Rory) have any practical reason to use a 5-wood instead of a hybrid? Or are they just being conservative, using what they have always used?

Anyway, having a +5 or 6 hcp is just unreal. Best of luck!

Those guys probably get more from a 5 wood than a hybrid. I wouldn't know personally since I only play a 2 iron.

Finances always play a part in the decision process of making a schedule. Matthew was planning to play the Monday qualifier in LA for the Chitimacha, my husband tracks weather and he noticed that the current conditions in that neck of the woods are poor, thunderstorms, flooding, cancelled flights etc.. So we called Matthew and brought it to his attention so he could make the best decision for him. He decided to w/d and play an awesome Golden State event at Borrego Springs called the De-Anza classic.. http://www.gstour.com/Event/

Here is why- He checked with the web.com people and found out play for the Q would likely go into Tues.. His day of flying would have been Friday which is a stormy day and with so many flights already being cancelled that is a risk, scheduling practice rounds as well could be an issue. So with so many variables out of his control and cost- flights, hotel, rental car he felt the best use of his money at this time would be to play the other event. If he was in a position to drive he would go, the cost is not as brutal and the control one has when driving is significantly more. I think he made the right decision. Going to a qualifier is a crap shoot anyway. 245 players at 2 sites with 6 spots at each site at a reasonable expense, versus a sure thing, can drive to, free housing and a chance to win some $$. These are the decisions these guys are faced with all the time.

Just got in the mail new Nike Flynit Chukkas

Ah man! I love the looks of those. You get a blue pair too?

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

such a great thread to follow

was checkin your website, thought this was a great pic of you

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-11%20at%209.30.03%20AM_zpsl4lhfx5n.png

maybe you mentioned this earlier, but which model of putter are you currently using, or do you have a few you rotate with?

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

such a great thread to follow

was checkin your website, thought this was a great pic of you

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-11%20at%209.30.03%20AM_zpsl4lhfx5n.png

maybe you mentioned this earlier, but which model of putter are you currently using, or do you have a few you rotate with?

I play the Method S2-12 I don't like switching putters. I stick with what I got and if I'm not putting well I know its my fault and not the putters. Some buddies I know switch putters between rounds even...not the best thing to do in my opinion.

Good call on not coming to LA. This place is a mess right now. I drove by one of the qualifying sites this morning and the fairways looked like lakes. It will be a soggy mess.

I'm glad I didn't go. Flying and driving from New Orleans to Alexandria wouldve been a nightmare and playing a practice round may not have been possible. So instead I'm headed to Borrego Springs for a Golden State Tour event with 100 players (a big field for Golden State Tour)

I don't know if you're allowed to rate Nike as top of your list for sponsors or not, but have you enjoyed them so far? I imagine the apparel deal can't be beat. What clubs did you play before signing?

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 14.5
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour

I don't know if you're allowed to rate Nike as top of your list for sponsors or not, but have you enjoyed them so far? I imagine the apparel deal can't be beat. What clubs did you play before signing?

Sorry to pop in on this question, just wondering why you think that about Nike? We asked one of the top guys at Nike which logo they would like him to use on his website.. Its more than okay. :)

Sorry to pop in on this question, just wondering why you think that about Nike? We asked one of the top guys at Nike which logo they would like him to use on his website.. Its more than okay. :)

Well just personally as a big fan of their irons but mostly the clothing lines they put out. For instance I shop exclusively for Nike polos because they look awesome and perform the best. Actually ooking for some fi Bermudas for myself at the moment. It just seems to me Nike is a sponsor people want more than other companies. Or maybe I just think that because I'd kill to have Nike sponsor me ?. Just wondering if it's like that in real life, that they are the envy of the pros (money aside) and what he thinks of the equipment he has now!

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour

Well just personally as a big fan of their irons but mostly the clothing lines they put out. For instance I shop exclusively for Nike polos because they look awesome and perform the best. Actually ooking for some fi Bermudas for myself at the moment. It just seems to me Nike is a sponsor people want more than other companies. Or maybe I just think that because I'd kill to have Nike sponsor me . Just wondering if it's like that in real life, that they are the envy of the pros (money aside) and what he thinks of the equipment he has now!

Im sorry I think I misunderstood, when you said "I don't know if you're allowed to rate Nike as top of your list for sponsors or not" I thought you meant you thought it wasn't allowed..

He is leaving at 5am tomorrow for a few weeks but ill let him respond.. he did touch a lot on Nike stuff early in the thread, he gets an insane amount of stuff.. They are beyond generous..

Well just personally as a big fan of their irons but mostly the clothing lines they put out. For instance I shop exclusively for Nike polos because they look awesome and perform the best. Actually ooking for some fi Bermudas for myself at the moment. It just seems to me Nike is a sponsor people want more than other companies. Or maybe I just think that because I'd kill to have Nike sponsor me ��. Just wondering if it's like that in real life, that they are the envy of the pros (money aside) and what he thinks of the equipment he has now!

Im sorry I think I misunderstood, when you said "I don't know if you're allowed to rate Nike as top of your list for sponsors or not" I thought you meant you thought it wasn't allowed..

He is leaving at 5am tomorrow for a few weeks but ill let him respond.. he did touch a lot on Nike stuff early in the thread, he gets an insane amount of stuff.. They are beyond generous..

Ok gotcha must have missed that. And sorry it seems like that because I mistakenly typed it like that ha. Sorry!

I'm sure you played some type of blades as an amateur and I know the old "blades are blades" saying.

Edit: caught up and read back. Very cool! Thanks for letting me know!

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour

Top 15: that will work.

Some of you may wonder how far I was hitting it in Fresno this week. Here are my distances (about what I would play them when it got a little warmer in the morning)

Driver 290-310

3 wood 250-270

2 iron 235-245

4 215-225

5 200-210

6 190-200

7 170-185

8 160-170

9 145-155

PW 135-145

52 degree 100-130

56 degree 85-100

60 degree <80

I have your same gaps in wedges. 105-112 is my gap. Hard to get my GW to go high and short of target. Choke down or take something off?

It all depends on the situation. If I need to spin something I go hard at the less club to get it to go that distance. If there is no need to try to spin it, I chock up a little and shorten my swing. In certain situations I am able to hit my wedges as short or as far as I have to. For example I played a 125 yard SW in my second round, I could've used a PW or 52 from here but it was slightly downwind and long was no good. I hit the club that had zero chance of going long, plus it ended up just 9 feet away.

For wedges you want to be able to have a stock shot (a favorite shot for each club). Me its 60 yards with a 60 degree, 85 yards with a 56 degree and 105 yards with a 52 degree (each of those swings is what I call a 3/4 swing).

Its awesome to be able to read a thread like this! Always wondered about the minor details about life just before the breakthrough onto the tour. Its cool to have someone actually take the time out of his schedule to talk to us pee-ons lol.

Makes me feel like at least my mental part of the game is on track when I hear an aspiring tour player say something like "long was no good" I constantly play different shots because "I definitely do not want to be long here" or "much rather go a little over this green than end up in that bunker".

Keep up the hard work man and good luck getting that card! I'll be one of those fans that screams at you one day "hey I used to read your thread on WRX!!"

Link to the web.com LA monday qualifier leaderboard. Still a ton of guys on the course and it looks like it is going to take 65 to get in which is 8.6 shots under the course rating of 73.6. The muddy/wet conditions may have taken some sting out of the greens but would have made the course play much longer. This should be mandatory viewing before another 38 year old scratch that shot a 69 on his home course in a casual round with 4 'gimmes' starts another "can I make it to the tour" thread. And this is the "developmental" tour. Wowsers. Congrats to iteach in the instruction forum whose student JC Horne (also a conditional web member) dropped a 64 and looks like a lock.

Best of luck in De Anza Matt. Looks like the risk/reward, travel, expenses, certainty, and everything make that appear to be a much better option. The web comes out west in a few months so they'll be other opportunities.

https://gulfpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/gulfpga16/event/gulfpga163/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

Link to the web.com LA monday qualifier leaderboard. Still a ton of guys on the course and it looks like it is going to take 65 to get in which is 8.6 shots under the course rating of 73.6. The muddy/wet conditions may have taken some sting out of the greens but would have made the course play much longer. This should be mandatory viewing before another 38 year old scratch that shot a 69 on his home course in a casual round with 4 'gimmes' starts another "can I make it to the tour" thread. And this is the "developmental" tour. Wowsers. Congrats to iteach in the instruction forum whose student JC Horne (also a conditional web member) dropped a 64 and looks like a lock.

Best of luck in De Anza Matt. Looks like the risk/reward, travel, expenses, certainty, and everything make that appear to be a much better option. The web comes out west in a few months so they'll be other opportunities.

https://gulfpga.blue...leaderboard.htm

Did you see both courses? There is a box to change courses.. At one its at least -7 and the other at least -6 with only the morning waves in. I was guessing same thing about the greens and I am sure if they hit it close it is sticking. Length is not an issue for these guys even with no roll. They all hit it far.