2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping G irons vs. 716 AP1

ShowMe

Anybody hit the new G's vs. the 716 AP1's? How did they compare in terms of length (ball speed), feel, dispersion, forgiveness on off-center hits, etc.?

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The loft spread is quite different between the two sets:

4 - gap wedge

G: 21-50

AP1: 22-47

The AP1 set has TWO gap wedges. :stop:

The G spread is more sensible in my opinion, and opens up the bag to add another club.

Both sets provide some spring face action for distance so length should be about the same (loft for loft, not necessarily club for club since the lofts are different).

Accuracy or dispersion is not a club factor, it's a swing factor. Find a club that fits your swing in terms the specs and the accuracy and dispersion is on you.

Regarding feel, both sets use 17-4 stainless with a vibration damping cavity badge. Any real difference in feel between them will most likely come down to your ability find the center of the face.

In terms of forgiveness, the G's are larger so they will have a greater MOI and more forgiveness. AP1's are no slouch though.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I own a set of ap1 and I would say that in terms of distance ping will win by 5-10 yards and other then that titleist is better.... that is just my personal opinion. Go try this two iron n see wht it feel. Before I buy the ap1 I face the same problem but for me consistency is important so I go for the ap1

Have posted this in several threads now so I'm sorry if people are getting bored of reading the same thing from me :)

I tested the G, I, Apex, Apex Pro, Ap1, JPX850 forged and one other I've forgotten.

The G and Apex Pro were the two standouts for me.

Upon further testing one came out well on top.

I'm picking up my Ping G's on Sunday :)

They were longer and straighter than everything else (for me)

I've test the G versus the AP1 recently and found the G to be the winner overall. Although I personally liked the AP1 better at address, the G was longer and felt better overall. And let's not forget it costs less too. The Apex is also a really nice club, but the smaller head wasn't too my liking. I would also suggest comparing the G verus the I series too. Personally I'm leaning towards the G myself.

Was at golfsmith and played with both recently. Preferred the G over ap1 but it's not a landslide. Both were solid I just felt like the G was automatic.

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - HZRDUS Blue 6.0 60g

3W Cobra LTDx 15* - Aldila Ascent 6.0 60g

DI - NLU 18* - MMT 105g Stiff

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - MMT 105g stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

Throughout my playing days, I've been mostly either a PING or Titleist Guy. I've always liked the looks of the AP1 since the 710's. However, every time I put them up against PING G series, I've found that the G's are just more forgiving and have a little extra distance. If the G series didn't exist, I would happily bag the AP1's. The AP1's are a terrific club, but somehow the G series has won out for me.

I just purchased by G30's irons this past summer, but have tried out the new G's and AP1's. I still like the G's better, and still like my G30's the best. I really liked the new G's, but didn't find them to be a substantial of enough upgrade to switch from the G30's to the new G.

Ping G410 plus Tour65 S
PING G410 3w Tour 75 S
PING G410 hybrids: 18*, 22* & 26* TENSEI PRO BLUE 80 GR S
[PING G410 irons: 6 - U Nippon MODUS³ Tour 105
PING Glide 3.0 Wedges: 54* SS, & 60* SS

Scott Cameron Fastback 2.0
Member of TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Sorry to rain on the Ping-fest here. Just got fitted with AP 1's with Nippon 850S. Did an extensive search/demo for GI irons for the last 3 months ( Have several query/comment posts strewn all over WRX).

Thought I was more consistent with AP'1 with better dispersion ,also didn't lose a lot of yardage on mishits. My shots with the ping g 7 iron on a average go 160 but then I would catch one in the middle of the face and it would go 170 !

No surprises with AP 1, just felt more comfortable with it.

Other Irons tried Srixon 355, Cally Apex/XP, TEE, Wilson c200, TM RSI1

• 3 weeks later...

Just went through an outdoor fitting testing the Gs, AP1s, and Z355s. I was biased toward the 355s going in, but just had much better numbers with the Gs. Ordered a set 4-UW, Project x 6.0, -1/2".

Fwiw, I think all 3 sets are really solid--the AP1s and 355s were tops in the looks category, while the Gs were pleasantly not super chunky compared to past models. Ping did a nice job hiding the thickness of the top line on these.

These will be my first GI irons so I'm anxious to give them a try. I may end up doing a combo set of the G 4-6 and Ping I through the rest of the set, but want to see how the full set feels before mixing and matching.

I went into my fitting planning on getting the AP1s.

We tried just about everything out there and my top three ended up being G, AP1, and Apex CF16.

The G and AP1 dispersions were identical, but the G went 10-12 yards further for me. The G and the Apex went the same distance for me, but with tighter dispersion for the G, little less spin, however.

I ended up ordering the Gs, I just felt more comfortable over them, they are super forgiving and accurate, and nice to look at. Plus, as stated above, cost less than both the AP1s and the Apex.

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

Have posted this in several threads now so I'm sorry if people are getting bored of reading the same thing from me :)

I tested the G, I, Apex, Apex Pro, Ap1, JPX850 forged and one other I've forgotten.

The G and Apex Pro were the two standouts for me.

Upon further testing one came out well on top.

I'm picking up my Ping G's on Sunday :)

They were longer and straighter than everything else (for me)

What were your thoughts on the Ping i ?

Thanks.

Cobra driver
TMade 3 & hybrid
Titleist AP2 Irons (4-PW)
Vokey wedges
Cleveland putter
Srixon ball

Interesting. I have tested, actually bought Ping G25 and Ping G30 6-irons against my AP1 (712) 6-iron (105T shaft), and found my AP1 to be longer.

Now many are saying that the G 6-iron is longer than the AP1. I will have to buy one to compare.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I personally think that ap1 is better than ping because it wins on overall performance. But I think u could try the tmb too if u got the chance. Go try them

That's quite a drastic jump from AP1's to tmb's.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I just went back to my trackman numbers and G carry was 15 yards longer than AP1 with 7 iron.

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

I just went back to my trackman numbers and G carry was 15 yards longer than AP1 with 7 iron.

That pretty much means you were mishitting the AP1. There must be something in that club that was throwing off your swing.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

That pretty much means you were mishitting the AP1. There must be something in that club that was throwing off your swing.

The G is a smidge stronger loft and D0 SW. For certain people the lighter SW will generate a smidge more club head speed. I bet with the exact same shaft they would be identical. The kick point in the G just worked better for the persons swing. There is no magic 15 yard longer conforming club. Only what fits the individual best.

Out of the box, in stock shafts I hit the same distance with the G and the AP1. I hit the JPX-850 3-5 yards longer but don't care for the head shape. I hit the Apex longer than any of the 3, but don't care for the smaller sized head. Lofts...shafts. Same guy swinging them.

Interesting. I have tested, actually bought Ping G25 and Ping G30 6-irons against my AP1 (712) 6-iron (105T shaft), and found my AP1 to be longer.

Now many are saying that the G 6-iron is longer than the AP1. I will have to buy one to compare.

I also found my AP1 712's with the 105T longer. Certainly longer than my AP1's with the XP95 or even xp105 shafts. I wish I had the 712's 105T back.

My G30 second handers turned up today, look quite a bit bigger than my XR irons.

They feel a bit stiffer even though both reg shafts.

Haven't hit them yet, looking forward to a round, see how they go.

XR are smaller and much thinner sole, considerably so.

Not selling XR's just yet.....Just in case.

As a side note, my XR irons were easily a club longer than my AP1, something that I had to be wary of and they were higher too so stop well at the other end.

I also found my AP1 712's with the 105T longer. Certainly longer than my AP1's with the XP95 or even xp105 shafts. I wish I had the 712's 105T back.

Yes, that is my experience as well. That is why I always order AP1's with the 105T shaft. I try others, but keep coming back to the 105T.

I am somewhat interested in the Nippon shaft in the G's.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

• 4 months later...
When you guys are saying a club is longer are you referring to carry or total distance with roll out? If carry distances are similar the total distance can be attributed to too little spin, too flat angle of descent etc.

For me, it's about carry.

Roll out depends on greens and spin.

I got too much height from the ping G irons.

I currently play Bridgestone J15CB'c and am very happy with them, but whilst my young son was having his weekly Golf lesson today, I saw a LH Ping G 7 iron in the Pro shop. Sure it only had the stock AWT Reg flex, but I had half an hour to kill.......so thought what the hell, lets give this thing a rip...............boy this thing launches the ball into orbit. Sure, I know it was only a Reg flex and I was getting some pretty bad hooks with it, probably due to shaft flex. But I thought, I can't believe this thing.

I asked my Pro if I could use his tablet attached to his Flightscope, and compared it with my J15CB's. Over 6 decent shots with each, I was carrying the ball 172 yards with my J15CB's with a 7 iron. The Ping G 7 iron was flying and carrying 188 yards!!! And so high too. Now, I know the shaft was a bit uncontrollable for me, and getting 6 good shots took 10 shots to get the data, so there is some licence there with the data, but with a good fitter, everything could have been tightened and dialled in I'm sure.

My only gripes, were 1) The offset is a little off putting for me, and 2) the feel of the G iron is very clicky, but then again, to be fair, I think most clubs would feel 'clicky' when I've been used to a Bridgestone forged Iron.

I found it quite eye opening though.