2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Best 430cc driver?

Jude

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have put the m1 430 into play this season and feel it is better in testing than the 460. Your miss will be penalized but I found it longer. I played the Callaway DBD last and had great results too. I like the taller face and more rounded head shape.

Ping g430 10K w/ DI-6S

TaylorMade Sim Ti 5W w/ Ventus blue 7-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

Mizuno 243  w/ Modus 120-S, 4-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

If you don't need the forgiveness, SLDR 430 is king of the hill and can not be beat.

^^^^^THIS^^^^

But be honest with yourself about your ability to hit it.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Sldr 430 is a great club. My m1 430 is just barely better. The sldr can be had for under $100! I think I have two 12 deg around if interested

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Are you looking a the newer drivers?, if so, be ready to spend some cash, otherwise, there are others like:

Ben Hogan: Big Ben

Bridgestone: J33R, j40

Callaway: Optiforce, Razr Fit Xtreme, FT Tour, Opti 440, X- Hot Pro line

Cleveland: Classic 310 Tour Drive

Cobra: Cobra Bio Cell Pro

KZ Golf: KZG GF-4, KZG VC-420

Mizuno: MP650

Nike: VR Pro LTD, VR Tour, VR S Covert Tour

Taylormade: R7 Limited, R7 425 TP, R9, R11, R11s V2, R1 V2, R11 TP, SLDR 430

Titleist: 909D3, 910D3, 913D3

Tour Edge: CB4, XCG7 Beta

Yamaha: Tour V203

Yonex: Ezone 380, Ezone 420

Just mention a few, I am sure there are plenty more, like stated above if you are a good ball striker you should be ok with the smaller head, but remember the are not as forgiving as their big brothers...good luck...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

It has been said, but if you're looking for something relatively modern, the SLDR 430 is in a class of its own. Its a bomber, but beyond that the headshape is just perfect. Round and compact in a way the M1 and to a lesser extend the R15 arent (likely because they have to house larger/flatter weight tracks.

Will never give it up.

Another vote for the SLDR 430. Several years ago I made the mistake of getting rid of an R7 TP that was the best driver I ever hit. It took two or three seasons to find the SLDR and I will not make the mistake of switching again. Will keep the SLDR until it breaks or until I'm not physically capable of swinging it.

TSr4 Ventus Blue Velocore TR 6x
TSr3 15* Ventus Blue Velocore TR 7x
SLDR 2 Hybrid Hzrdus Matrix Blacktie S
T100s 4-P PX 6.5
SM9 50F, 55S PX 6.5 and 60M S400
Newport

If it has to be 430cc, then the best option in my view is the 12* SLDR 430 Tour issue with the (Tour-only) 9-gram or 11-gram silver weight beneath the blue slider cover, plus hot melt added in the sole, and a more open face angle. I played several of these 430 Tour issued Drivers during 2014 and for the first 6 months of 2015. I used the 77-gram Fujikura Motore Speeder Tourspec 7.3 TP shaft in my Tour-issued 430's, and while I still consider that driver/shaft combo quite good in terms of distance and accuracy, I have since moved on to an even better driver/shaft combo.

Since not everyone is familiar with Tour issue verses Retail Models of the SLDR 430, there are some differences worth noting here. Most, (but not all), of the Tour issued models have a "toe screw" that holds down a metal toe cover plate that is made of a heavier metal than the Retail toe cover plate. That special toe cover plate and screw are installed by the Tour Van, and it places extra weight on the toe side of the clubhead beyond the slider track). You will also find a small "+" (plus sign), stamped on the hosel on the Tour issued models which indicates the driver was checked and found to be conforming under USGA Rules for play on Tour.

The "actual loft" on most of the Tour issued 430's varies from what is stated on the club. For 12* Tour issued 430's , the actual loft usually ranged from 11* - 11.7*, and the "open face angles" usually range between 2.25* and 3.75*. These "actual" numbers along with the headweight and lie angle are identified on a "Tour Sticker" affixed to the shrink wrap on the clubhead when bought new. You definitely need to "loft up" with this club, whether you choose a Tour issue or a Retail model. I normally play a 9* or 9.5* driver model but need 12* in the SLDR 430.

Note: The movable weight "slider" on the Retail Models is HEAVIER due the TM stock Retail 16-gram silver weight located beneath the blue slider cover and its screw. The blue slider cover and screw add another 4-grams for a total (Retail) movable slider weight of 20-grams. For you Retail 430 users who would like to reduce SLDR swingweight, be advised that you can purchase silver weights that weigh less from Billy Bob's Golf, or from various ebay Sellers. These are available in weights of 2, 4, 6, 8, or 12-grams. Various weights of the blue slider covers are available to help you "fine tune" swingweight. I have seen those on ebay in weights of 2, 4, and 6-grams. (The stock TM blue slider cover is 2-grams).

You can still find brand new SLDR 430 Tour issued Drivers available as "heads only" from a few ebay Sellers that will allow you to simply add your favorite shaft. These Tour issued 430's can be found in both the original Charcoal color and in "Tour only" Silver as seen on the Retail "S" or SLDR "S" Mini Driver. (Silver was NOT a color ever offered on the Retail SLDR 430's).

I think most people will find that the Tour issued models of the 430 "behave better" than Retail 430 models due to the weighting differences mentioned above.

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

If it has to be 430cc, then the best in my view is the 12* SLDR 430 Tour issue with the (Tour-only) 9-gram or 11-gram silver weight beneath the blue slider cover, plus the hot melt in the sole, and a more open face angle. I played several of these 430 Tour issued Drivers myself during 2014 and for the first 6 months of 2015. I used the 77-gram Fujikura Motore Speeder Tourspec 7.3 TP shaft in my Tour-issued 430, and while I still consider that combo to be very good in terms of distance and accuracy, I have since moved on to something even better.

Since not everyone is familiar with Tour issue verses Retail Models of the SLDR 430, there are some differences worth noting here. Most, (but not all), of the Tour issued models have a "toe screw" that holds down a heavier metal toe cover plate. That special toe cover plate and screw are installed by the Tour Van, and is places extra weight on the toe side of the clubhead beyond the slider track). You will also find a small + (plus sign), on the hosel which indicates the driver was checked and found to be conforming under USGA Rules for play on Tour.

The "actual loft" on most of the Tour issued 430's varies from what is stated ont he club. For 12* Tour issued 430's , the actual loft usually ranged from 11* - 11.7*, and the "open face angles" usually range between 2.25* and 3.75*. These "actual" numbers along with the headweight and lie angle are identified on a "Tour Sticker" affixed to the shrink wrap on the clubhead. You definitely need to "loft up" with this club, whether you choose a Tour issue or a Retail model.

Note: The movable weight slider on the Retail Models is HEAVIER due the TM stock Retail 16-gram silver weight located beneath the blue slider and screw. The blue slider cover and screw add another 4-grams for a total (Retail) movable slider weight of 20-grams. Be advised that you can purchase silver weights that weigh less from Billy Bob's Golf, or from various ebay Sellers. These are available in weights of 2, 4, 6, 8, or 12-grams. Various weights of the blue slider covers are available on ebay in weights of 2, 4, and 6-grams. (The TM stock blue slider cover is 2-grams).

You can still find brand new SLDR 430 Tour issued Drivers available as "heads only" from a few ebay Sellers.These can be found in both the original Charcoal color and "Tour only" Silver. (Silver was never an available color on Retail 430's). I believe most people will find that Tour issued models of the 430 "behave better" than Retail 430 models due to the weighting differences mentioned above.

I have to agree with Bob on this one regarding the original SLDR. The 430 sliver tour head with AD DI7 is miles above better than the retail head that I had. I did loft up on this one though and I like the feel of it much better than the Fly Z+ that I bag now(but I need the forgiveness these days). That said, I won't be selling my SLDR and it comes out to play from time to time.

Could try a Cleveland classic 290.

Looks like a 430 but is actually 460. Great sound, low spin with a ton of forgiveness vs sldr. Super cheap too. From address it would be tough to say the classic looks bigger than the 430 sldr imo.

The Cleveland Classic 310 is actually closer in size at 440cc, and offers lower spin and a more penetrating trajectory than the Classic 290, (assuming we are talking only about the Retail Models here). The Classic 310 stock shaft is much better too...the Miyazaki Kusala Black 61, a low launching stiff tip shaft designed for the better player. The 290 came stock with the high launching, softer tipped, Miyazaki C.Kua shaft.

Just which is better in stock form depends on the skill/index of the player, but for me the Classic 310 was much better than the Classic 290. (YMMV of course).

If you should run across a Classic 310 with the stock Kusala 61s in your flex, you may want to buy it just to get your hands on that great Kusala Black 61s shaft. Miyazaki shafts are no longer bring sold here in the USA, although still available in Japan. I think the Kusala 61s is one of the best driver shafts ever made...it's also my personal favorite driver shaft... :heart: ...Don't play the Classic 310 Driver anymore, but still use the Kusala Black 61s shaft.

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

For most of 2015 I played the G30 LS and I struggled with it. It seemed all I could do was hit it right (pushes & fades) or hit pull hooks.

This year, I settled on getting a new driver that would help me get my draw back. The final contenders were the R15's and M1's. The surprising winner for me was the M1 430 8.5* w/ Diamana 60 S+.

I know many have said that the M1 460 is hotter and easier to hit but for me the M1 430 is longer, easier to control, and plenty forgiving on off center strikes.

I have set the M1 to max draw and lofted up to 9.5* and now I hit nice mediium high draws with good roll out. I don't worry about the right's any more and I have a ton of confidence on the tee box with the M1430.

It is the best driver set up I have ever hit and maybe the smaller 430 head just sets up better for me.

I liked the 430 slider alot as well but nothing beats the head shape of that J40 driver. It just looks so classic and inspires so much confidence at least to my eye.

[b][i]Classic Bag[/i][/b]
Cleveland Classic Jumbo S400
Cleveland Classic R75 3 Wood S400
Macgregor M75 4 Wood S500
Macgregor Muirfield 20th 2-PW
Cleveland Byron Nelson 50th BeCu 56 & 60 Wedges
Designed By Cleveland BeCu Putter

[b][i]Modern Bag[/i][/b]
Bridgestone J40 430 Ysq st stiff
TEE CB4 13* 3 Wood 85 gram Whiteboard Stiff
TEE CB3 18* 5 Wood 95 gram Speeder
Calaway Tour Authenic Prototype Irons 3-Pw