Jersey Golfers

wrayner

Just utilize an every other stall/mat rule. Very simple.

However, they could say that due to the need for someone to pick balls, collect buckets, take payments, etc that you're risking more spread.

Prepaying the round and going straight to the first tee, and then going straight to car afterwards, less likely for spread.

Personally I think this has been way over blown. If epidemiologists had their way they'd have us locked up foe the next 4 years.

But I digress...

Yeah I just called.... no range and whatnot, but maybe that will change in a few weeks. I'm going to try to get 9 in sometime next week after work. I always like to hit a few balls first just to see how my flight will be that day ... every time I go right from car to see, it takes me 4-5 holes to even warm up totally.

It was great to get out Saturday. I think between the rain late in the week and the little notice to open, we must’ve have some tough conditions. I played Hominy Hill and the rough was so heavy I lost 4 balls a few steps off the fairway. Every ball off the fairway required a search. Fairways hadn’t been cut in a while either. If this sounds like a complaint, not at all. More an observation that these guys must have gotten as little heads up as we did. Was so nice to get out. Twosomes was a treat, pace was beautiful. Looks like a ton of places are already booked up for next weekend. Gonna be a tough spring.

While it was strange having virtually no one there before the round, showing up 10 minutes before tee time, and just starting, it felt great to be back out there! Played in about 3 1/2 hours, walking, at Quail Brook. Rough was tough.

Can get used to the pace - I think we are going to be spoiled for a little bit as long as the tee times are restricted.

I have played Hominy, Howell, Shark River, both Charleston Springs Courses and Suneagles since our governor was so gracious to let us have fun again.

Reviews:

Suneagles - The greens are slow as anything. I think the course has a chance to be good since the new ownership, but they have a long way to go. The bright side was that the woman selling beer outside the bar was showing some great cleavage.

Charleston - Both courses are in excellent condition. The greens are a little slower I feel on the South course.

Howell - Greens were extremely slow. The downside with this course is that it does not drain well and with all the rain we had, there were some small puddles in certain spots. I hope they regroup soon because I love the course.

Hominy Hill - Course overall is in good shape. The greens also are a little slow and the rough desperately needs to be cut.

Shark River - Same as Hominy.

It seems to be the themes are slow greens and long rough. I am going to guess by MDW all should be "back to normal" or close.

I've played:

ACCC - fantastic conditions, greens were smooth as glass and fast. One note, since I've seen conversation about driving ranges. They had a sign up that the range was available upon request, and putting greens were open (with a sign limiting access to 5 at a time). Also the standalone driving range a mile or so away was open and packed the day I was there.

Charleston Springs North - agreed, it's in nice shape tee to green, but the greens are very slow and also inconsistent. Looks like they were punched a week or so ago and haven't rebounded, they're very sandy. Hard to describe. Range, short game area and putting green closed.

Hominy - I found their greens to roll much better than CS. First weekend it was open, the rough was nearly unplayable, every ball off the fairway was less than 50-50 to find, let alone play. I think they were clearly caught off guard by the decision, because even the fairways were closer to short rough length. But by 5-6 days later you could see they were making progress cutting it down. Still think and penal, but balls were findable. Range, short game area and putting green closed.

One other note. I've been batting 1000 when it comes to getting paired up with good guys at the Monmouth Co. courses. Fast, nice, personable. Most of my rounds have been between 2:40-2:55. To be honest, I'm not sure we could do much faster than 2:40 walking Charleston. Two of us were really hustling as the first out one day and didn't see any way to shave much more than a few minutes. That said, we're really going to be spoiled and when we return to 4.5 hours it's going to be painful.

Played Suneagles myself yesterday. Greens were horrendously slow, but at least they had a cart girl out. When I arrived there were at least 15 people crammed onto the tavern outside bar drinking. Saw a cop drive up when I was on the 7th hole and then after 9th it was completely clear. I wonder if the cop came to tell everyone to scatter.

Agree with you - I hope they get the conditions in check since the course is actually really fun to play and has a lot of potential.

I just moved to Monmouth County in the off-season and haven't been able to get my players card yet. They say they are selling them in the pro shops now - I just need to call first and let them know we are coming. Going to try and do that during this week as getting tee times at other courses at good times on the weekends has been brutal without a county card.

Seems like most courses have slow greens at this point. Sounds like the consensus as both courses I played had terribly slow greens (Suneagles and Mattawang).

Next time I play there I'm going to seriously just take my 4h, 7i, a PW , my 54 and maybe my 58, and I bet I would shoot just the same, if not better than the norm. So many holes are just beggggginnng me to pound the big dog, but maybe 2/10 times it ends up where I want it, 80% of the time I'm losing balls b/c the trees just spit them out in random places.

Idk about you but I also hate how they designed the par 5's to be almost impossible to get to in 2. That;s why I love Neshanic, if you hit a really good drive, you are rewarded with a chance to get to the green in 2. I feel like all good courses offer at least 50% of the par 5's as solid birdie chances.

Anyone else notice how Monmouth’s tee time system varies so much by day? Past 4-5 days I could get something on Hominy or Charleston. Tonight, I was in right at 8 and within 15-30 seconds, everything was gone on all courses. Even the weekends haven’t gone that fast so I have no idea why a random Wednesday would have. I’m not talking 8:02, it was literally still 8:00.

I might also suggest your putter.... I agree about the par 5s there. Most have a double dogleg that makes birdie chaces few and far between. Dont get me wrong, I hate boring straight away par 5s but if you smash a drive into the corner, you should be able to fire a 3W at the green, not lay up!

Warren and Neshanic are worlds apart! I live 5 mins from WB and its cheap so i play there a lot. I wish I was able to get to Neshanic more (and it was cheaper!)

Playing Hillsborough Country Club Saturday. Only place I could get a tee time at a decent time since they aren't releasing online slots and you have to call. Really got to get that Monmouth County Card sorted out.

Has anyone played Hillsborough yet this year? Interested in how the conditions are.