Jersey Golfers

wrayner

1 hour ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Reminds me of how it was back in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Getting a weekend time somewhere like Sunset Valley back then was darn near impossible unless you were cool with going off after 3pm.

Thats berkshire valley for me this year. Haven't played it since March cause its always booked up

55 minutes ago, Max21 said:

Thats berkshire valley for me this year. Haven't played it since March cause its always booked up

I remember back in 1999 thinking that the only way to get an early weekend morning time at a Morris county course had to be to literally bribe one of the shop staff members or starters. I tried it one day in desperation and the guy could not angrily get away from me fast enough. lol.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wondering if all the play is taking its toll. Played both Charleston Springs, Hominy Hill, Rutgers, in the past few weeks and they’re really beaten up. Fairways terrible, greens and surrounds a mess. Not aeration, just general wear and tear. 

That said, long term it should be great for the budgets moving forward if their tee sheets remain full. Hopefully that money goes back into the courses.

8 hours ago, philsRHman said:

Wondering if all the play is taking its toll. Played both Charleston Springs, Hominy Hill, Rutgers, in the past few weeks and they’re really beaten up. Fairways terrible, greens and surrounds a mess. Not aeration, just general wear and tear. 

That said, long term it should be great for the budgets moving forward if their tee sheets remain full. Hopefully that money goes back into the courses.

I know Charleston and Hominy aerated in the last month or so. It still could be recovering.

On 9/30/2020 at 11:44 PM, philsRHman said:

One of the biggest issues Rutgers always has with its fairways is drainage. After a big summer rain it pools in some places, then when its 90+ the next day or so it bakes those spots down to hard mud. 

Played 36 yesterday, first time getting 2 rounds in on the same day. Very enjoyable. Walked my first round at Heron Glen and rode in the afternoon at Neshanic Valley. Both courses in good condition. Had a burger and a beer in between rounds. 

I lost my Ping 5W head cover as I was loading my cart, in front of the pro shop at Neshanic and surprisingly it never showed up. So, to the person who stole my head cover I hope you snap your favorite club, get TWO flat tires and a busted windshield on the way home from your next round!!! Karma is a biotch! 

Edited by Twism86

On 9/23/2020 at 2:41 PM, nsxguy said:

You should have mentioned that to the Pro Shop.

I forget how it's worded but IIRC the USGA recommends about 3 feet around the hole to be fairly level, certainly level enough so that a ball inches short of the hole not roll back 10 feet.

I've run into that in SE Asia a few times. One course in particular had about 6 greens where that kind of thing could easily happen. Be above those pins and if you don't hit the hole you're off the front of the green. Literally impossible to stop the ball from above. Ridiculous.

I see this plenty of times here in NJ. The holes are literally on an angle. 

Played Great Gorge this past Tuesday, as an example. Par 3 5th hole on the Rail side. It's a 3 level green. Pin was in the front. NO ball would stop rolling off the green, unless you actually put it in the cup. It was ridiculous. We all took bogey and moved on. 

Has anyone noticed that Crystal Springs seems to have jacked up their prices over the last few weeks? Or is it just me? 

Earlier this year in the summer, I was getting on at 2:00 at Crystal Springs for 45$. Now it's up to 80$

I get they are probably getting killed due to not having banquets and weddings (They usually have 350 weddings a year), but man, us golfers are taking the brunt of it. 

Someone earlier mentioned how fast tee times are being booked as well. I've noticed this too. Doesn't help that you can't get 18 in once  you hit past 2:30. 

9 minutes ago, golfer07840 said:

I see this plenty of times here in NJ. The holes are literally on an angle. 

Played Great Gorge this past Tuesday, as an example. Par 3 5th hole on the Rail side. It's a 3 level green. Pin was in the front. NO ball would stop rolling off the green, unless you actually put it in the cup. It was ridiculous. We all took bogey and moved on. 

In SE Asia there were few people at the course that understood English so trying to tell them to check the manual/guidelines was an exercise in futility.

I don't recall that hole at the Gorge but if we encountered that I certainly would've gone into the Pro Shop after the round and mentioned it to them.

Now that I think about it, at my home course, especially early season when the ground was very often rock hard, our 2nd green towards the back was extremely sloped and if the keeper put the hole back there we'd have the same situation.

We gave him an earful once though and it was never there again, at least not during such conditions.  :classic_biggrin:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

3 minutes ago, golfer07840 said:

Has anyone noticed that Crystal Springs seems to have jacked up their prices over the last few weeks? Or is it just me? 

Earlier this year in the summer, I was getting on at 2:00 at Crystal Springs for 45$. Now it's up to 80$

I get they are probably getting killed due to not having banquets and weddings (They usually have 350 weddings a year), but man, us golfers are taking the brunt of it. 

Someone earlier mentioned how fast tee times are being booked as well. I've noticed this too. Doesn't help that you can't get 18 in once  you hit past 2:30. 

It's simply supply and demand. If they're filling the tee sheet at $80 you're not going to see $45. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Titleist Pro V1X

5 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

In SE Asia there were few people at the course that understood English so trying to tell them to check the manual/guidelines was an exercise in futility.

I don't recall that hole at the Gorge but if we encountered that I certainly would've gone into the Pro Shop after the round and mentioned it to them.

Now that I think about it, at my home course, especially early season when the ground was very often rock hard, our 2nd green towards the back was extremely sloped and if the keeper put the hole back there we'd have the same situation.

We gave him an earful once though and it was never there again, at least not during such conditions.  :classic_biggrin:

Perhaps this picture will spark your memory. 

The hole was cut, center and probably 5 paces from the front. 

Rail par 3 5th.jpg

1 minute ago, golfer07840 said:

Perhaps this picture will spark your memory. 

The hole was cut, center and probably 5 paces from the front. 

Nah. Only played the course a handful of times. Probably takes me at least a dozen times to remember hole-by-hole. Sorry if I gave the impression I was more familiar with it.

But I do understand your point. I'd have mentioned it to management.

It's to their benefit anyway as holes like that only slow up the course. Not everybody'll pick up and take bogey and move on. In fact I'd guess most will continue til they hole the ball,,,,,,,, or make 10. :classic_ohmy: :classic_laugh:

Titleist Pro V1X

5 hours ago, golfer07840 said:

Worked at Crystal Springs for a few years and was told recently that they are having over 240 rounds per course during the week most days so knowing Crystal Springs they are definitely taking advantage of it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

I played Mattawang and Mercer Oaks West this week and the courses are in very good shape.  Not too cool yet, not too many leaves on the ground.  It's a great time to get out there and play!  

How would you compare the two against each other? OR what would you compare Mattawang to in the area. Thinking of playing a round there next week..

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

What’s the early observation this season? Is the golf boom picking up where it left off? I don’t have a good handle, since last year was my first playing public golf in many years. I had a lot of luck getting out early in the pandemic but by late summer and fall it was very tough. So far this year seems very weather dependent. Monmouth County courses fill up in a heartbeat on the weekend mornings but I assume that’s how it always was? Maybe the difference is they’re booked pretty much until the last 18 hole rounds would get done. 

Haven’t tried much on GolfNow since I’m just zipping out for 9 holes at twilight when possible. 

curious what you’re all seeing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 12:12 AM, philsRHman said:

What’s the early observation this season? Is the golf boom picking up where it left off? I don’t have a good handle, since last year was my first playing public golf in many years. I had a lot of luck getting out early in the pandemic but by late summer and fall it was very tough. So far this year seems very weather dependent. Monmouth County courses fill up in a heartbeat on the weekend mornings but I assume that’s how it always was? Maybe the difference is they’re booked pretty much until the last 18 hole rounds would get done. 

Haven’t tried much on GolfNow since I’m just zipping out for 9 holes at twilight when possible. 

curious what you’re all seeing. 

Have only played once so far. But I hear a lot of courses are still wet and cart path only. That snow from February took forever to melt and now it's been raining a lot. 

With that said when I've gotten curious and looked up tee times, it seems fairly busy and you better get on the tee sheet a few days in advance. 

• 4 weeks later...

@nfreda2211 I ended up playing Cape May National.  Decent little track.  A little banged up in terms of greens being recently poked and a lot of construction, but very enjoyable.  Are there other tracks in that area you'd recommend?  I visit my in-laws in Margate City frequently and so am aware of ACCC.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

2 minutes ago, stimpmeterp said:

@nfreda2211 I ended up playing Cape May National.  Decent little track.  A little banged up in terms of greens being recently poked and a lot of construction, but very enjoyable.  Are there other tracks in that area you'd recommend?  I visit my in-laws in Margate City frequently and so am aware of ACCC.

Speaking of ACCC .. for those who've played, is it worth the hype? 

I love ACCC and it’s worth it if you can get a tee time in the $100-$125 price range. I think they get up to about $250 in prime season and not so sure it lives up to that. To the OP’s question, there isn’t much left in cape may county that’s worth playing and public. Atlantic county has a few though. I would check out ballamor or twisted dune. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2021 at 9:34 AM, golfer07840 said:

It's worth it, but not sure for the $225 I paid last year for a Friday morning tee time.  Cool views, but a short course.

I echo Ballamor - best bang for your buck in the area IMO at around $120

On 5/14/2021 at 9:34 AM, golfer07840 said:

I agree with the above, it’s tough to swallow at peak rates north of $200. For me it’s a perfect off-season spot because it’s typically in great shape year round and if you can catch it sub $100 it’s a great classic golf course. Especially if you’re a design/architecture geek, lots of cool things to think about. 

• Like 1