Ping iBlade irons: shot at the 2016 Players Championship (In-hand pics of Louis Oosthuizen's irons a

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent some time test ing the iBlades with the DG S300 S and Modus 3 105 S. Both of these shafts fit me FAR better than the LZ 6.0's. The S300's are obviously heavier and have maybe a tad better accuracy, while the Modus are lighter, have better feel, and go farther. The S300's obviously fly lower than the Modus, but the Modus don't balloon and I could flight them up or down almost as easily. It's going to be a difficult choice once I get fit with these. I think something a tad stiffer than the Modus S with about 10 more grams of weight would be just right.

I can't wait to get fit for these. The iBlades just look simply incredible and the performance is there too!

MODUS 105 X flex sounds perfect.

KING LTD PRO Driver & KING LTD 3 Wood Stock Stiff shafts and length
PING e1 Irons 5-PW and PING Glide SS 48,52,56,TS60 all with Stock Length and Black Lie angle with Nippon Modus 105 Stiff shafts
Odyssey 2 ball Fang Putter with Superstroke Pistol 1.0 Grip and Nike RZN Tour Platinum Ball

So I just ordered mine through my pro, and I didn't know about the 1/4 in thing. I ordered black Dot, modus 105 X flex, with blue S-tech grips 2 degrees strong. Do I need to get the length changed to 37in for 7 iron?

PING e1 Irons 5-PW and PING Glide SS 48,52,56,TS60 all with Stock Length and Black Lie angle with Nippon Modus 105 Stiff shafts
Odyssey 2 ball Fang Putter with Superstroke Pistol 1.0 Grip and Nike RZN Tour Platinum Ball

Club

Loft

3-Iron 20.00° 39.00" 0.17" 59.63° 4.0° D2 RH/LH

4-Iron 23.50° 38.50" 0.15" 60.38° 5.0° D2 RH/LH

5-Iron 27.00° 38.00" 0.12" 61.13° 6.0° D2 RH/LH

6-Iron 30.50° 37.50" 0.10" 61.88° 7.0° D2 RH/LH

7-Iron 34.00° 37.00" 0.09" 62.63° 8.0° D2 RH/LH

8-Iron 38.00° 36.50" 0.07" 63.38° 9.0° D2 RH/LH

9-Iron 42.00° 36.00" 0.05" 64.13° 10.5°D2.5RH/LH

PW 46.00° 35.50" 0.03" 64.75° 12.0°D3 RH/LH

[*]These are design specifications that may vary due to manufacturing tolerances.

[*]Lie angle based on Blue Color Code at standard length.

[*]Standard swingweights for graphite-shafted clubs are 1 point lighter than shown.

[*]Achievable swingweights depend on shaft and grip combinations.

this what I saw on the site so I was wondering why people are saying that black is a 1/4 under STD 37 in?

Club

Loft

My specs except black dot. and S-tech grips

5-Iron 25.00° 38.00" 0.12" 61.13° 6.0° D2 RH/LH

6-Iron 38.50° 37.50" 0.10" 61.88° 7.0° D2 RH/LH

7-Iron 32.00° 37.00" 0.09" 62.63° 8.0° D2 RH/LH

8-Iron 36.00° 36.50" 0.07" 63.38° 9.0° D2 RH/LH

9-Iron 40.00° 36.00" 0.05" 64.13° 10.5°D2.5RH/LH

PW 44.00° 35.50" 0.03" 64.75° 12.0°D3 RH/LH

[*]These are design specifications that may vary due to manufacturing tolerances.

[*]Standard swingweights for graphite-shafted clubs are 1 point lighter than shown.

this what I saw on the site so I was wondering why people are saying that black is a 1/4 under STD 37 in?

Club

Loft

3-Iron 20.00° 39.00" 0.17" 59.63° 4.0° D2 RH/LH

4-Iron 23.50° 38.50" 0.15" 60.38° 5.0° D2 RH/LH

5-Iron 27.00° 38.00" 0.12" 61.13° 6.0° D2 RH/LH

6-Iron 30.50° 37.50" 0.10" 61.88° 7.0° D2 RH/LH

7-Iron 34.00° 37.00" 0.09" 62.63° 8.0° D2 RH/LH

8-Iron 38.00° 36.50" 0.07" 63.38° 9.0° D2 RH/LH

9-Iron 42.00° 36.00" 0.05" 64.13° 10.5°D2.5RH/LH

PW 46.00° 35.50" 0.03" 64.75° 12.0°D3 RH/LH

costby, I have no clue what your question is, or what you think "black" has to do with length.... but I'm not trying to be snarky, just helpful... for correct reference here's the spec sheet for the S55 irons, what most would consider the "old standard" in this type PING players iron. things have changed, the new iBlade irons are longer lengths indeed.

Screen-Shot-2013-11-06-at-5.07.39-PM.png

Sorry,

I was just reading how it seamed in the thread that blue was stock 37 but that length changed if you went to Black. No worries

damn those look good

yeah getting lots of compliments at the club.....not on my swing though......S300 flight is higher ......gettin used to it......kinda like it. S400 in these would be perfect.

I went for a full bag fitting the other day on Trackman and ended up with S400 AMT Tour Issues in the iBlades. The numbers were spot on! Ordered them the next day and they should be here soon.

Any more feedback on the level of forgiveness that the iBlade offers? None, some, or almost i-e level?

I've got quite a few rounds in with mine now, and getting more and more comfortable with what I can do with them, putting more aggressive swings on them now. Honestly, probably the most forgiving club of this profile I've ever hit. For the record, I've played s55s, 716 AP2s, and iEs over the past 2 years, and hit everything Mizuno has to offer in their fitting cart (I'm a Mizuno fitter). I honestly prefer the iBlades to any of those in terms of on-course performance and feel. They just feel so right with the Modus3. Honestly, in terms of forgiveness, I don't notice much drop off moving from my Apex CF16s to the iBlades. Maybe a touch in the long irons, but not enough to sacrifice the feel I get when using the PINGS. In summary, I think if you play the iEs, you can definitely play the iBlades with little to no drop off in performance and forgiveness.

Any more feedback on the level of forgiveness that the iBlade offers? None, some, or almost i-e level?

I've got quite a few rounds in with mine now, and getting more and more comfortable with what I can do with them, putting more aggressive swings on them now. Honestly, probably the most forgiving club of this profile I've ever hit. For the record, I've played s55s, 716 AP2s, and iEs over the past 2 years, and hit everything Mizuno has to offer in their fitting cart (I'm a Mizuno fitter). I honestly prefer the iBlades to any of those in terms of on-course performance and feel. They just feel so right with the Modus3. Honestly, in terms of forgiveness, I don't notice much drop off moving from my Apex CF16s to the iBlades. Maybe a touch in the long irons, but not enough to sacrifice the feel I get when using the PINGS. In summary, I think if you play the iEs, you can definitely play the iBlades with little to no drop off in performance and forgiveness.

As an iE1 player, I absolutely agree with this assessment. I find the iBlades nearly the same forgiveness level and certainly better feel! I got mine with the Modus3 - 105 in stiff and they are really a super feeling shaft! While they are light from a static standpoint, they really are very accurate with little dispersion.

That's great to hear. I am an ie1 player. And I am a little nervous about going to these as a 7-8 handicapper. My only solis is that it's not so much my irons that kill my game but more my chipping and putting. I hit more greens than I miss, but even if I hit it close my knees shake over every putt

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I haven't read many direct comparisons of the iBlade to the Apex CF16. I currently play the Apex CF16 and have been considering adding a second set of either iBlades or 716 CB's for when I'm playing more frequently and have better control over my swing. I play a nice controlled cut with my irons and when I demo'd the iBlades and 716 CB's, they both performed well for me. Of course, I have been afraid to give up the forgiveness of the CF16's but it sounds like Ping really has a winner here.

I like the 716 CB's because the DG AMT shaft is a stock offering. Which, if any, of the Ping stock shafts would play closest to the AMT?

I haven't read many direct comparisons of the iBlade to the Apex CF16. I currently play the Apex CF16 and have been considering adding a second set of either iBlades or 716 CB's for when I'm playing more frequently and have better control over my swing. I play a nice controlled cut with my irons and when I demo'd the iBlades and 716 CB's, they both performed well for me. Of course, I have been afraid to give up the forgiveness of the CF16's but it sounds like Ping really has a winner here.

I like the 716 CB's because the DG AMT shaft is a stock offering. Which, if any, of the Ping stock shafts would play closest to the AMT?

Hmmm...that's a tough one, at least picking from the stock offerings. Of course as stated above, my choice without question is the Modus3 105. I put it in all my irons, and my CF16s are getting reshafted by Callaway this week with it (they currently have the Project X LZ steel shaft, and not really a fan of it). But, of the stock offerings from PING, I would at least look at the AWT 2.0. It's a similar concept (ascending weight) shaft, but is made for PING by Nippon and seems to a really good shaft (don't know any Nippons that aren't really good). Might have a slightly higher ballflight than the DG AMT (your mileage may vary), and be a little lighter (I do t think any of the stock PING shafts are as heavy as the DG AMT, aside from the DG), but might have some of the characteristics you're looking for.

Hmmm...that's a tough one, at least picking from the stock offerings. Of course as stated above, my choice without question is the Modus3 105. I put it in all my irons, and my CF16s are getting reshafted by Callaway this week with it (they currently have the Project X LZ steel shaft, and not really a fan of it). But, of the stock offerings from PING, I would at least look at the AWT 2.0. It's a similar concept (ascending weight) shaft, but is made for PING by Nippon and seems to a really good shaft (don't know any Nippons that aren't really good). Might have a slightly higher ballflight than the DG AMT (your mileage may vary), and be a little lighter (I do t think any of the stock PING shafts are as heavy as the DG AMT, aside from the DG), but might have some of the characteristics you're looking for.

While I love the feel of the Modus 105 (current modus 120 user) I seemed to hit the iblades really high and short with it. Granted, I was into a good wind, but the DGS300 and my Ping Ie with Modus 120 weren't impacted as much. ½-1 club difference. I'm intrigued by the AMT as well as Modus 125's.

I loved the feel of the Modus 105 but I was launching the 7 iron at 20-21 (swing flaw) so I went with the S300 hard stepped 1x in an effort to launch as low as possible. Definitely heavier feel and not as much kick as the others but I'm hoping that helps with dispersion.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

I have never understood "stepping" I understand tipping, as if you cut the tip off the shaft, it gets a little stiffer... so tipped 1 inch, half inch ect... but what exactly is stepping..

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I have never understood "stepping" I understand tipping, as if you cut the tip off the shaft, it gets a little stiffer... so tipped 1 inch, half inch ect... but what exactly is stepping..

Hard stepped = 7 iron shaft in a 6 iron and so on

Soft stepping = 6 iron shaft in a 7 iron and so on

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

It's what the poster above said. Since we are talking taper tipped shafts, you can't really "tip" them, since that would cut off the portion tapered to fit into the hosel, and be too large to fit. So, "hard stepping" is kind of the equivalent of "tipping" a parallel tipped shaft. Let's you fine tune to flexes in between the standard "r", "s", etc.

That's pretty damn cool. I have always felt that I was in between flexes. The shorter irons not stiff enough and the long irons were closer.

So if I use a rifle shaft then the 6.0 hard stepped would be like a 6.25?

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

So if I use a rifle shaft then the 6.0 hard stepped would be like a 6.25?

post-108063-0-71738100-1311024637_thumb.jpg

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Received my 5-PW today. First I would like to say my Pro ordered them Monday morning and I got them by 1200pm today. We did agree to split the next day air costs.

I love the feel of these clubs and went with the Modus 105 X-stiff, STD Length and Black lie angle with Superstroke S-Tech grips. I already have the Glide wedges and the feel of my 48 degree on full swings feel the same as my new 5 iron. Everything I wanted and more.

Forgiving, flightable and fantastic.