Ping iBlade irons: shot at the 2016 Players Championship (In-hand pics of Louis Oosthuizen's irons a

Received my 5-PW today. First I would like to say my Pro ordered them Monday morning and I got them by 1200pm today. We did agree to split the next day air costs.

I love the feel of these clubs and went with the Modus 105 X-stiff, STD Length and Black lie angle with Superstroke S-Tech grips. I already have the Glide wedges and the feel of my 48 degree on full swings feel the same as my new 5 iron. Everything I wanted and more.

Forgiving, flightable and fantastic.

How did you end up with the modus 105 x flex? where you fit into them, or just really enjoyed the feel?

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My irons came in yesterday. They look amazing, but I had to box them back up to return to Ping. Came in 3 swing weight points lower than requested. Ping was great. Rushed a new build to get them to be ASAP. should get them either tomorrow or Monday.

SIM 9.0 Ventus Blue 7X, SIM 15* Ventus Blue 8X
U500 2i, OT100, P7.MC 3-4, P7.MB 6-P, Modus 120 X
MG2 53, 58 Modus 120 X, Toulon Garage Austin

My irons came in yesterday. They look amazing, but I had to box them back up to return to Ping. Came in 3 swing weight points lower than requested. Ping was great. Rushed a new build to get them to be ASAP. should get them either tomorrow or Monday.

I've always had good success in requesting swingweights from ping, but i still doublecheck, you never know.

Received my 5-PW today. First I would like to say my Pro ordered them Monday morning and I got them by 1200pm today. We did agree to split the next day air costs.

I love the feel of these clubs and went with the Modus 105 X-stiff, STD Length and Black lie angle with Superstroke S-Tech grips. I already have the Glide wedges and the feel of my 48 degree on full swings feel the same as my new 5 iron. Everything I wanted and more.

Crazy, I ordered mine August 5th and they are still not here yet. Apparently Ping is still having issues getting Modus 3 shafts in.

Crazy, I ordered mine August 5th and they are still not here yet. Apparently Ping is still having issues getting Modus 3 shafts in.

I ordered on the 14th and got them on the 28th. Modus 105 x flex.......

Love the clean, sleek look, but perhaps a bit too clean with regards to the appearance of the back of the blade. Probably the best feeling non-forged head out there!

[u][b][font=comic sans ms,cursive]In the bag:[/font][/b][/u]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][u][i][b]Driver:[/b][/i][/u][/font] [b][color=#ff0000]Cobra Fly Z+[/color][/b] - [b]10*[/b] (Neutral - with 15g weight taken out) - Diamana Kai'li 60 X flex x5ct (44.5 inches)
[u][size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][i][b]3 wood:[/b][/i][/font][/size][/u] [color=#ff0000][b]Cobra Bio Cell[/b][/color] - [b]16*[/b] - Diamana Kai'li 60 X flex x5ct (42 inches)
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][u][i][b]Utility: [/b][/i][/u][/font][b][color=#0000cd]Adams Idea Tech V4[/color][/b] - [b]20* [/b]- Bassara 65 x5ct
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][u][i][b]Irons:[/b][/i][/u][/font] [color=#0000cd][b]Adams Idea Pro CB1[/b][/color] - [b]4 to PW[/b] - Project X 6.5
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][i][u]Wedges:[/u][/i][/b][/font] [color=#ff8c00][b]Callaway V Forged[/b][/color] - [b]52*[/b]/ [i][b]12* bounce [/b][/i]- S400
[color=#ff8c00][b]Callaway V Forged[/b][/color] - [b]56*[/b]/ [i][b]12* bounce [/b][/i]- S400
[color=#ff8c00][b] Callaway V Forged[/b][/color] - [b]60*[/b]/ [b][i]9*bounce [/i][/b]- S400
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][u][i][b]Putter:[/b][/i][/u][/font] [b][color=#800080]Rife Bimini Island Series - Tropical Finish[/color][/b] (32 inches) - Standard size light grey Pure grip

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][i]All clubs gripped with orange mid-size Lamkin Ace Rel 3gen[/i][/b][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][u][i][b]Ball:[/b][/i][/u][/font] [b][color=#000080]Callaway Chrome+[/color][/b]

That's great to hear. I am an ie1 player. And I am a little nervous about going to these as a 7-8 handicapper. My only solis is that it's not so much my irons that kill my game but more my chipping and putting. I hit more greens than I miss, but even if I hit it close my knees shake over every putt

Wow, you sound exactly like me!

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

How did you end up with the modus 105 x flex? where you fit into them, or just really enjoyed the feel?

I played the stiff in Modus 3 105 stiff in my EI pings this year and felt that I could gain a little more whip from the swing but gave a little up on dispersion. I swing 88-90 with a quick transition. Hope this helps.

KING LTD PRO Driver & KING LTD 3 Wood Stock Stiff shafts and length
PING e1 Irons 5-PW and PING Glide SS 48,52,56,TS60 all with Stock Length and Black Lie angle with Nippon Modus 105 Stiff shafts
Odyssey 2 ball Fang Putter with Superstroke Pistol 1.0 Grip and Nike RZN Tour Platinum Ball

I ordered on the 14th and got them on the 28th. Modus 105 x flex.......

what flex did you get in the modus. I ordered mine this past Monday and they are due to arrive on the 8th. I ordered 3-PW, 50, 54, 50 glide wedges all in the 105x.

TSr3 8° VENTUS RED TR 7X

TSr3 3W 15° VENTUS RED TR 8X

2023 T200 2/17°

2023 T200 4-PW, GW

SM10 52, 58 M-Grind

PIRETTI POTENZA WB

TitleistSmaller.jpg.5bc014a5893add877cc9ffa452af52bd.jpg

Just picked mine up today, can't wait to give them a workout...Modus 105 stiff, Orange dot, D3. Now you guys have me paranoid need to check my swingweights! BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Any other comparisons of the iBlades to the 716 CB's, especially in regards to forgiveness?

I have hit both, own the 716cb. Played the s55 for 2 seasons.

The heads on the iblade look bigger to me, not so much in topline thickness but Just overall size. I like the smaller more compact head of the CB.

I play the Mb in the short irons so those are definelty smaller.

CB feels softer to me the the iblade.

I find the forgiveness to be about the same.

Durability goes to the iblade for sure, the CB I have only had for like 2 weeks and they have chatter already.

If I didn't really like the CB/Mb combo the iblade would be the next set on the list to get.

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I don't post much but hitting this iron on the range today gave me enough reason to login and post.

This has to be one of the worst feeling irons I have ever hit. I know they aren't forged but was expecting them to atleast feel semi smooth, they are harsh and clicky.

I play pretty harsh clubs, Taylormade RSI TPs, they are forged but were regarded as not feeling forged and feeing pretty harsh for forged irons... The iBlades make my Taylormades feel like Miura's.

I was excited to hit them and was ready to purchase them, 3 swings in and I had to walk away. Unbelievably bad. Very sad as I love how they look!

I don't post much but hitting this iron on the range today gave me enough reason to login and post.

This has to be one of the worst feeling irons I have ever hit. I know they aren't forged but was expecting them to atleast feel semi smooth, they are harsh and clicky.

I play pretty harsh clubs, Taylormade RSI TPs, they are forged but were regarded as not feeling forged and feeing pretty harsh for forged irons... The iBlades make my Taylormades feel like Miura's.

I was excited to hit them and was ready to purchase them, 3 swings in and I had to walk away. Unbelievably bad. Very sad as I love how they look!

Judging from your avatar....your swing may be a tad to mechanical....

I've found that for me the shaft makes a lot of difference. Were you hitting the same shaft as the tms? I've been hitting mine for about a week and they feel incredible to me. I like slightly clicky though. I've had some of the softest clubs out there and these aren't quite there but they're close IMO. They certainly are a feel upgrade from s55 which performed so well I couldn't resist hitting them anyways..

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

Are they making a U wedge?

In the iBlades? No, not currently. I'm assuming they intend users to have Glide wedges (50 degree for the U) to fill those gaps. That's what I'm doing now with the current Glides. And the new Glide replacement after the first of the year are supposed to blend "even better" with the iBlades, although I'm not sure how they can blend even better, as the current wedges match the iBlades pretty darn closely.

That's great to hear. I am an ie1 player. And I am a little nervous about going to these as a 7-8 handicapper. My only solis is that it's not so much my irons that kill my game but more my chipping and putting. I hit more greens than I miss, but even if I hit it close my knees shake over every putt

You guys shouldn't have a problem in iBlades. I'm a 7 that played s55's before iBlades and love them......iBlades are even more forgiving than S55 IMO. Slightly larger in the long irons...more tungsten in the toe.....

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

I went from RSI TP's to iBlades, and I think the feel of the iBlades is far superior in about 99% of all strikes unless you hit the RSI TPs absolutely perfectly flush. Perhaps on the 4th swing you might have found the middle and realised that the iBlades are in fact awesome.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

You guys shouldn't have a problem in iBlades. I'm a 7 that played s55's before iBlades and love them......iBlades are even more forgiving than S55 IMO. Slightly larger in the long irons...more tungsten in the toe.....

I used to game the S59, and I went from a 9 handicap to a 6 handicap almost immediately. I just love the was the smaller clubs look. I would play MP14s if i could find a set with the word Ping on them. I just love that butterknife look

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Just ordered my set 4-pw with the AWT shafts. Really excited to play the shaft, during my demo they felt great, didn’t have my lie angle(lol). I’ll write up a quick review after a couple of rounds.

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

So let me flip it around.

Why would one choose the iBlades over the I-e's?

Just appearance, or is there a performance based reason?

If you're into getting fit, which honestly everyone should when spending that kind of money, then you'll prolly want to go with which model the fitter suggests is best for your swing. Of course you'll be the one playing them so ultimately you'll be deciding but one or both may give you better spin and launch conditions. For me performance which includes launch, spin, ball flight and what can I comfortably hit consistently. Then looks, which I like the looks of both. Hope this helps.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

So let me flip it around.

Why would one choose the iBlades over the I-e's?

Just appearance, or is there a performance based reason?

If you're into getting fit, which honestly everyone should when spending that kind of money, then you'll prolly want to go with which model the fitter suggests is best for your swing. Of course you'll be the one playing them so ultimately you'll be deciding but one or both may give you better spin and launch conditions. For me performance which includes launch, spin, ball flight and what can I comfortably hit consistently. Then looks, which I like the looks of both. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I should have been more specific - long time Ping player, currently i-e, previously i20's.

Curious that many testers have said that they have not noticed much of difference between the two irons in terms of forgiveness and feel. Therefore it, I guess, comes down to appearance. Thin with reduced offset vs. more offset and variable top line.

They have a slimmer look, so there is the visual appeal.

They have a better workability (this means nothing to me as I don't work the ball on command, even if I tell myself I do)

They have a more optimized ball flight. (weaker lofts without losing distance)

I got them because of the looks... I like to look at a smaller head (S59 was my favorite club) as they have much more of a slim old school topline

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

i ordered mine yesterday. 3-W A.W.T. 2.0 shafts with cushions. they just seem to be fun to hit. been changing irons on off all year. s56's, 716mb's and the last month eye 2 plus no plus 2-lob. and yes that is alot of changing for me. been playing s56's since they came out with no regrets. really excited to use these a long time.

Ping G400 LST 10*
Titleist TS3 15*
Taylormade UDI 2 
Callaway MB 2018 3-W
Titleist Vokey 54*/60*
Bettinardi BB2