Ping iBlade irons: shot at the 2016 Players Championship (In-hand pics of Louis Oosthuizen's irons a

Ordered on 8/6, got em yesterday. Great feel and just a great look down at address.

4-PW, + 1/2, Red Dot, 1* strong, DG S300.

Hard to pull me away from Mizuno (825 Pros in this case), but I went side by side on many, many balls and the IBlades performed. Nothing dramatic but a lot of confidence looking down at a thinner top line with the same or better results...

Ping G430 Max Ventus TR Red Velocore 6R
Titleist TSR 2 3wood Tensei S

Callaway Apex UW 21 Hazardous Smoke 5.5
Mizuno MP 243 5-GW C-Taper Lite R
Mizuno S23 51

Mizuno S22 54

Edel SMS 58
Toulon Daytona StrokeLab 35"

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered on 8/6, got em yesterday. Great feel and just a great look down at address.

Hard to pull me away from Mizuno (825 Pros in this case), but I went side by side on many, many balls and the IBlades performed. Nothing dramatic but a lot of confidence looking down at a thinner top line with the same or better results...

V, I already know you're going to have some GREAT moments with the PINGs, but I will still wish you best of luck with them anyway!

Just ordered almost same specs: 4-PW, +1/4", Red Dot, 2* Strong, DGS300....how are they treating you?

What is everyone's thoughts on foregiveness? I know its highly subjective, but could a mid (15) handicap handle these? I've always liked a smaller iron head and and strike the ball better than my handicap implies.

Best thing to do would be to get hold of a demo set. Just using a 7 iron won't be good enough as anyone can hit a 7 iron out of the screws more often than not. Find somewhere with a full demo set, so you can try the 4 & 5, as thats where most people struggle when they hit smaller headed clubs.

You sound a little like me, Rob. Im around the same HC as you but strike the ball far better than that implies and I can flush the iBlade like nothing I've hit before - purely down to the looks of them, if I'm honest. I love the way they look, sound and feel and that gives me the confidence to swing freely with them.

But as Mark says, anyone can hit a 7-iron well. It was going through a set fitted with X100 shafts that confirmed to me that I could hit up to a 4-iron, where I'd previously always stopped at a 5 in my other sets (G10 > G25 > i25) and gone Hybrid.

That sold the iBlades to me and I've just put my order in - now it's a waiting game!

I spent some time test ing the iBlades with the DG S300 S and Modus 3 105 S. Both of these shafts fit me FAR better than the LZ 6.0's. The S300's are obviously heavier and have maybe a tad better accuracy, while the Modus are lighter, have better feel, and go farther. The S300's obviously fly lower than the Modus, but the Modus don't balloon and I could flight them up or down almost as easily. It's going to be a difficult choice once I get fit with these. I think something a tad stiffer than the Modus S with about 10 more grams of weight would be just right.

I can't wait to get fit for these. The iBlades just look simply incredible and the performance is there too!

I spent some time test ing the iBlades with the DG S300 S and Modus 3 105 S. Both of these shafts fit me FAR better than the LZ 6.0's. The S300's are obviously heavier and have maybe a tad better accuracy, while the Modus are lighter, have better feel, and go farther. The S300's obviously fly lower than the Modus, but the Modus don't balloon and I could flight them up or down almost as easily. It's going to be a difficult choice once I get fit with these. I think something a tad stiffer than the Modus S with about 10 more grams of weight would be just right.

I can't wait to get fit for these. The iBlades just look simply incredible and the performance is there too!

I thought you had these in your bag already? I've been drooling over your pics for a while now

I ended up going with the Modus 105x shafts versus the x100 (soft stepped) or S300 (straight in) so very similar situation. All on a simulator but really liked the feel of the 105 shaft over TT DG. The problem was I could not test the 105x because it was not in the fitting cart so I went blind and just ordered. I figured the slightly heavier weight and stiffness increase should fit me well but if not its off to BST :)

Lead time from Golfsmith says two weeks for the order so maybe next week ill tell you what I think of that combo

Hit these on Saturday and I was surprised. Definitely feel better than S55s to me, although the 55s I've tried in the past had different shafts. Very clean look as well, these are going to be a hit for Ping. I could definitely see these in my bag in another season or so when used sets are plentiful and the price has dropped.

Just out of curiosity for those that have ordered the iBlades already, are you playing them the stock length which is 1/4" over the traditional S line length for 3-9 irons? Also has anyone thought about ordering the lofts so that they match the S55 lofts. I was wondering if changing the lofts stronger/weaker would change the turf interaction. Thanks.

Ping G30 LST 9* Rouge Silver 70
Cobra LTD Fairway Kuro Kage Silver TiNi
Ping Anser 17* TFC 800H
Ping S55 3-PW Modus3 125
Ping Glide 54 SS, 60 ES
Odyssey Works Versa #1 Wide

Just out of curiosity for those that have ordered the iBlades already, are you playing them the stock length which is 1/4" over the traditional S line length for 3-9 irons? Also has anyone thought about ordering the lofts so that they match the S55 lofts. I was wondering if changing the lofts stronger/weaker would change the turf interaction. Thanks.

I play them 1/4 over. I have zero issues with turf interaction. My set is black dot based on 37 inch 7 iron. Changing loft 1 degree or so either way won't affect turf interaction. Changes ball flight the most. Lower or higher. Depending if you weaken or strengthen.

I play them 1/4 over. My set is black dot based on 37 inch 7 iron.

That is the new standard length.

Yes,for blue dot. Not black. Black is 1/4 shorter than blue dot now for the new series.

Well...while PING does factor length into lie, certain color codes aren't tied to lengths. If I ordered a set in Black dot, I'd have to specify length. There isn't really a black dot or blue dot length.

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

I thought you had these in your bag already? I've been drooling over your pics for a while now

I had them in the bag but realized that the shafts are just too stiff for me. I'm reordering this week in a different shaft. Going to get fit on Thursday. I'm even selling my iE1's with Steelfibers too!

I play them 1/4 over. My set is black dot based on 37 inch 7 iron.

That is the new standard length.

Yes,for blue dot. Not black. Black is 1/4 shorter than blue dot now for the new series.

Well...while PING does factor length into lie, certain color codes aren't tied to lengths. If I ordered a set in Black dot, I'd have to specify length. There isn't really a black dot or blue dot length.

Somewhat true. I ordered my set as standard black dot. Came with 36.75 inch 7 iron. I didn't specify length on order. I put my steelfibers in them and now 7 iron is 37 inches. So I play the black dot as 1/4 over and 1* flat or .75* flat per ping standards.

If you order blue dot standard without specifying length set will come 37 inch 7 iron standard. Just as if you went to your local GS or GG and bought them off the rack. They would be blue dot .75* upright and 37 inch 7 iron. Ping standards went from black being standard length and dot color to now blue dot and 1/4 longer.

From the wrx review ".......an impressively soft feel when golfers flush a shot. Ping’s designers call the experience “activating the elastomer.”

I prefer using a slightly more technical term (said in a high pitch ejaculatory way): "DOOOOOOSSHHH!!!"

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

I had them in the bag but realized that the shafts are just too stiff for me. I'm reordering this week in a different shaft. Going to get fit on Thursday. I'm even selling my iE1's with Steelfibers too!

How do they compare to your ie1's in terms of forgiveness on off center hits.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

Shot my lowest round of the year with mine yesterday. :smilie_ping:

Nice......not often you break 90 with new clubs :rap: ......jk.......congrats mate. I shot even par with my s55's last week (1st time ever) --- toot toot. 2 club wind on a links course AND it was during a player's league 1st flight match. HONK HONK! :busted_cop: ( :download: my own tires.)

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

I didn't really play the iBlades long enough to make a fair comparison, as I've owned my iE1 quite a bit longer. I should have another iBlade set soon and I'll get back to you on that. Getting fit this week!!!

I asked Ping that question about the variance in length since I order all my iron shafts +1". I wanted to know if I should modify the shaft order to .75" to accommodate the new iBlade spec. Their recommendation was to continue to order the +1" shaft for the iBlade irons, which is what I did when I ordered them last week.

The ie1's should be slightly more forgiving but they look great. I've owned both sets now. Plus handicap. I think the thing to do is go and hit both heads and see what gives you the best numbers. The Iblade is stupid forgiving for what it is and we know the ie1 is forgiving. You may hit one better than the other or both and be able to do a combo set. As you can see on tour some guys hit one and some hit the other. I think it's mainly due to what they fit best into or like looking at.

Brooke Henderson, Lee Westwood come to mind on ie1

Oost and bubba fit into the s or iblade or that's just what they like looking at. I love both honestly.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

Hit these on Saturday and I was surprised. Definitely feel better than S55s to me, although the 55s I've tried in the past had different shafts. Very clean look as well, these are going to be a hit for Ping. I could definitely see these in my bag in another season or so when used sets are plentiful and the price has dropped.

I hit these for the first time a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised as well. I agree with the feel, much better than the S55s and look at address is better as well.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

Just ordered almost same specs: 4-PW, +1/4", Red Dot, 2* Strong, DGS300....how are they treating you?

Can I ask why you got +1/2" and +1/4" then went for Red Dot? Flatter lie angle... Generally a longer club would mean you need it more upright

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW
SM10 Nickel Wedges 50, 54 & 58

Scotty Phantom 9.5