Ping iBlade irons: shot at the 2016 Players Championship (In-hand pics of Louis Oosthuizen's irons a

Just played 11 holes with mine after work today. Very nice clubs indeed! They feel more solid than the S55 to me. For me they look better at address, launch the ball a bit higher, are more forgiving, and feel more solid overall. They are not night and day different from the S55, but for a player who has gamed the S55 for a while, you'll notice the differences right away. It looks like Ping made the toe a bit higher and sharper while also shaving away some of the club where the hosel meets the topline. It gives them a tighter look, while not being as intimidating over the ball in the longer irons. Again, ALL of this is TO ME. Everyone will have their own ideas about how they look, feel, perform, etc...

Also, I like the PX LZ's. WAY smoother than stock PX for sure and they look extremely cool. The loading zone area looks like warped glass or a melted mirror. You'll know what I mean if you see some. The pics don't really do them justice. It's a solid shaft that stays together for me and never feels loose, but also has some give to it at impact. The ball flight might be a touch higher than standard PX, but generally speaking they are pretty close. It's the feel of the shaft loading that is cool, but at the same time you can keep track of where the club head is throughout the swing. Not going to change them out unless something changes over the course of the next several rounds.

All in all, I'm glad I made the upgrade from the S55's. I actually added the 4-iron to the bag and I can hit it consistently well and A LOT better than the 4-iron from the S56 or S55 sets. I didn't even bag those at all. The long irons in the iBlades are very "hittable".

Also, the looks of these things is so clean. Shout out to Ping for nailing the aesthetics. They look slick! :)

FullSizeRender-1_1.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure. So, Dynamic Gold is lower launching but higher spinning than PX. Both shafts could show the same peak height in ball flight, but they'd get there differently. DG would launch low and the spin would have the ball climb sharply...so if you saw it from the side, the flight would appear to climb in an upward curve. PX will launch higher and have less curve in its climb...because of less spin. If a player hits the ball way too high because of spin, he/she could be losing distance. PX makes sense for them.

Thank you for putting that into language I can understand - appreciate it!

I think I need to find a fitter who has all the shafts and a LM so I can get a better understanding of the flight. Or just drive the four hours to Ping...

If you don't at least try these with C-Tapers you're committing a crime against golf.

I commit crimes against golf every time I play :D

Just played 11 holes with mine after work today. Very nice clubs indeed! They feel more solid than the S55 to me. For me they look better at address, launch the ball a bit higher, are more forgiving, and feel more solid overall. They are not night and day different from the S55, but for a player who has gamed the S55 for a while, you'll notice the differences right away. It looks like Ping made the toe a bit higher and sharper while also shaving away some of the club where the hosel meets the topline. It gives them a tighter look, while not being as intimidating over the ball in the longer irons. Again, ALL of this is TO ME. Everyone will have their own ideas about how they look, feel, perform, etc...

Also, I like the PX LZ's. WAY smoother than stock PX for sure and they look extremely cool. The loading zone area looks like warped glass or a melted mirror. You'll know what I mean if you see some. The pics don't really do them justice. It's a solid shaft that stays together for me and never feels loose, but also has some give to it at impact. The ball flight might be a touch higher than standard PX, but generally speaking they are pretty close. It's the feel of the shaft loading that is cool, but at the same time you can keep track of where the club head is throughout the swing. Not going to change them out unless something changes over the course of the next several rounds.

All in all, I'm glad I made the upgrade from the S55's. I actually added the 4-iron to the bag and I can hit it consistently well and A LOT better than the 4-iron from the S56 or S55 sets. I did n't even bag those at all. The long irons in the iBlades are very "hittable".

Also, the looks of these things is so clean. Shout out to Ping for nailing the aesthetics. They look slick! :)

Thanks for the pics and info. I'm waiting as patiently as I can for that phone call from my fitter to let me know the irons are in. Good to hear about the long irons. I carry a 3i and 4i, hopefully its the same result for me.

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised by how forgiving the low irons are. I don't have a 3, but if I put a bit lighter shaft (or even graphite like Steelfiber) I bet I could game it no problem.

The iBlades just look so much more inviting behind the ball compared to the S55.

I hope you guys waiting for your sets get them soon!!!

Mine are already on the BST. Yep, hoeing at my best!! I hit a set with the DG S300 and mine which have Ctaper S+ shafts. Both launched the same but the Ctaper definitely flattened out quicker. Great irons, but for me very similar to the S55. Time to ho something else.

Could you post a link to the ad and what dot are they? I'd at least be willing to take a look. Thanks.

EDIT: Found it. Sorry for the inquiry here.

What Is and What Should Never Be

I was checking PING's website and noticed that Hunter Mahan is playing prototype irons. I thought he made the switch to iBlades?

Maybe forgot to switch the names on the website? Think they were called prototypes before being made public

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 14.5
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour

I spent some time today with a demo 7 and wow are these irons sweet. Everyone's mileage will vary but they felt nothing like the S55's, not even close. Without a doubt top of Ping's food chain EVER. Must have after I sell a few organs for cash...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I knew I shouldn't have tried them out on my lunch break. Im still gaming the i20's and its got me thinking. Well done on this one Ping!

don't sweat them, you'll have a better replacement for your i20 come January.

whoa, cannot let this slide by without comment!

Sounds like I-e might be up for replacement? Time flies, but weren't they just released Q3 2015?

I knew I shouldn't have tried them out on my lunch break. Im still gaming the i20's and its got me thinking. Well done on this one Ping!

I'm trying my best to void hitting these. This is the first iron that has me considering benching my beloved i20's, which have been safely in my bag since they came out. Saw them in person for the first time tonight, and they look about perfect in terms of size and offset. If they feel like my glides, I know where the rest of my shop credit is going ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Hit em today.. Ordered em today... Nippon 105x.. They feel quite a bit better than s55, but time will tell if they hit better for me.

I was amazed at how good they felt. Ping irons are always good but personally I've never thought they had a soft feel (sound), more firm and clicky. This set changes that in spades I'm truly impressed. Love the finish and understated graphics. Threading hairs but I'm hoping the number fonts grow on me, obviously has zip to do with performance.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

don't sweat them, you'll have a better replacement for your i20 come January.

Cant leave me hanging like that man!

lol, I'm not leavin' you hangin' man! you should just take my recommendation on this one, "patience is a virtue".

Shot my lowest round of the year with mine yesterday. :smilie_ping:

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

What is everyone's thoughts on foregiveness? I know its highly subjective, but could a mid (15) handicap handle these? I've always liked a smaller iron head and and strike the ball better than my handicap implies.

Taylormade M3 8.5* Driver
Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2-Iron
Taylormade P760 4-AW w/ PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec

What is everyone's thoughts on foregiveness? I know its highly subjective, but could a mid (15) handicap handle these? I've always liked a smaller iron head and and strike the ball better than my handicap implies.

I think there are certain crimes that can never be forgiven. However, smaller indiscretions should be dealt with on a case by case basis.

As for the iBlades, they're not some sort of magical players club with huge amounts of forgiveness. That said, if you toe one it still gets out there far more than say a Mizuno Blade. The big difference is the feel though. When you toe a blade you can really feel it, whereas with the iBlades it's far more dampened. If you're off 15 and have decent ball striking you could definitely game these. Best thing to do would be to get hold of a demo set. Just using a 7 iron won't be good enough as anyone can hit a 7 iron out of the screws more often than not. Find somewhere with a full demo set, so you can try the 4 & 5, as thats where most people struggle when they hit smaller headed clubs.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

For those of you waiting on orders, I placed my order Friday August 5th and they arrived yesterday Wednesday August 18th. Unfortunately it was our league championship night so I didn't throw them right in the bag. They sure are pretty.

G425 LST 9
G425 LST 14.5
TS3 18*
S55 or i210
Glide 3.0 54* 58*
Ping PLD Anser D

For those of you waiting on orders, I placed my order Friday August 5th and they arrived yesterday Wednesday August 18th. Unfortunately it was our league championship night so I didn't throw them right in the bag. They sure are pretty.

Dang, thats the same day I placed my order. Monday is the earliest they could arrive at this point. Guess I'll call back and see what the latest is....

Dang, thats the same day I placed my order. Monday is the earliest they could arrive at this point. Guess I'll call back and see what the latest is....

I placed mine the 1st. Still waiting. Finally called and the clubs shipped and was told tomorrow or Monday.

Just ordered mine today, 4-PW, red dot, S300 hard stepped. Got fitted at Ping for blue dot which when tested at another shop was leaving lie board marks around the hosel, not sure what they were thinking at the Ping factory...

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2