2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade Spider Limited Putters (06/03 Release Date)

IheartNY

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually thinking about being that brave soul or idiot to see what's behind those plugs... I'm going to use heat to see if it's just a piece that's glued on to it. If it is, I'll probably post a picture of what I find... Wish me luck

Do it man... We are all interested!

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I'm actually thinking about being that brave soul or idiot to see what's behind those plugs... I'm going to use heat to see if it's just a piece that's glued on to it. If it is, I'll probably post a picture of what I find... Wish me luck

Do it man... We are all interested!

It would truely s*** if they are not removable

Those look like removable weights.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Those look like removable weights.

not much weight to them, but if they can be removed, regular weights may fit. What a strange design.

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

I've been thinking about getting one of these because I love the look, but now I too am afraid it will be too light. I currently game a Ghost Spider with two 16 gram weights and it's about perfect for me. I've been experimenting with putters lately and I can't find one that feels right. Maybe it's because I've been using my Spider over 3 years. For now I'll stick to it I guess and see if anyone figures out a way to add weight without messing with the look of the putter.

Gamed mine for the first time yesterday, it feels really light, that coupled with the stock super stroke made for a strange feel. I'm gonna swap the grip and maybe put some lead tape on it before my next round

G430 Max 9*

Ping G25 20*

Ping G425 26*
Ping i500 5-W
Ping Glide Forged 50*/54* 
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2  58*
Ping PLD Custom DS72H 

I got rid of the ss grip as soon as i took it out of box.

what an ugly grip they put on as stock!! gosh!!!

i had a spare blk/red scotty cameron pistolero grip and put it on and it's money.

i recommend to get rid of the ss grip and put something smaller to feel more of head weight.

this putter with fat ss killed all good things of what it has to offer.

What do you mean by legit? This is the All-Red version of this run.

He's probably seen people listing these for $500 and surprised it's actually available...

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

Got rid of the Superstroke and it is way better feel. The stock SS grip takes away all the weight in the head

I have a 34" and a 35" Black/red combo. Let me know if anyone wants one for cheap.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Got rid of the Superstroke and it is way better feel. The stock SS grip takes away all the weight in the head

I have a 34" and a 35" Black/red combo. Let me know if anyone wants one for cheap.

I want one for cheap. How much?

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

Rolled the black/red one I just got on the practice green for about 20 minutes this morning, and it has some potential, but the jury is still out. I've been playing milled Anser style putters for the past couple of years, so a face balanced mallet is a bit of an adjustment, both from a feel and look perspective. I don't love the feel of the insert -- it's clicky and a little hollow feeling compared to what I'm used to. I don't find it to be overly light, and I prefer heavier heads, so that doesn't seem to be an issue for me. I do like the look of the head for a mallet, and I don't find the red distracting at all.

The first several putts I hit with it, the combination of feel and results had me thinking it was going to be a very brief experiment, but after adjusting to it a little bit, I started seeing much better results, so I'll probably put it in the bag for a few solo rounds to see how it does on the course, and make a decision once I've had a chance to give it a fair test.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Played my first round with it today, and my overall impressions are pretty positive. I eyeballed putt distance and kept track of it throughout the round, and I made about 75 feet of putts out of about 345 feet of putts taken.

The good:

• 31 putts in a round in which I hit 12 GIR and shot -1 (much better than I've been playing recently). This was helped by a chip-in for eagle, but 31 putts while hitting more than 10 GIR is a solid putting day for me.
  • Made a 20 foot downhiller on the first hole to save par.
  • Made another slick downhill birdie putt from about 15 feet
  • Made 3 putts in the 7-9 foot range and was 3/3 from that distance.
  • Only had two first putts that ended up outside of two feet
  • Had 2 or 3 other birdie putts that were tracking but came up slightly short -- I felt like it was pretty easy to get the ball started on the line I picked. The long alignment line seems helpful in that regard

The bad:

• One three-putt that involved a horribly pulled 3-footer
  • I left several first putts short by a few inches to a foot. This has always been my struggle with mallets -- speed control isn't always as good as with an Anser style putter. For a first round with a putter, it's not a huge surprise that there's some adjustment. The insert isn't quite as lively as the solid steel faces I've played for a while now. The weight may also be part of the issue. I checked my Low Tide and the Spider LTD on my swingweight scale, and the Low Tide came in at E2 and the TMAG is D5.

It showed me enough to stay in the bag for at least another round.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

i had a spare blk/red scotty cameron pistolero grip and put it on and it's money.

i recommend to get rid of the ss grip and put something smaller to feel more of head weight.

Same question what grip you put on instead?

Went with an old school golf pride pistol I had in the garage

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]

I actually like the stock SS grip because it's 50 g. That means I can feel the putter head. So wondering what else light you guys are putting on.

I actually like the stock SS grip because it's 50 g. That means I can feel the putter head. So wondering what else light you guys are putting on.

Actually the funny thing is I'm seeing specs that grip is actually 105g not 50 g like usual SS mid slim 2.0. Anyone know if this is true?

The TMAG website lists the grip as a Mid Slim 2.0R. I haven't been able to find much about it, but a couple of search results indicate that it's a 103 gram grip. The heavier grip would explain the light swingweight, because the head is supposed to be 360g.

I played again with it today, and had a much worse ball-striking day, and only hit 8 or 9 GIR, and didn't chip anything in. But I did only have 29 putts, plus I used it once from off the green in the fringe. No 3-putts, but no real long putts made. The longest was probably 12 feet. I'm getting more used to the feel, and left fewer putts short. I'm sold enough to put it into play in a match on Saturday, so that'll be the real test.

The TMAG website lists the grip as a Mid Slim 2.0R. I haven't been able to find much about it, but a couple of search results indicate that it's a 103 gram grip. The heavier grip would explain the light swingweight, because the head is supposed to be 360g.

The grip is same as the standard SS Mid Slim 2.0, but with the TM color scheme and logo. However it has a rubber core, thus the "R" designation on the 2.0 R, which makes it a 100+ gram grip vs. the standard Mid Slim 2.0 that is 50 grams. I may experiment with a Mid Slim 1.0 (or one of the standard 2.0) to get a heavier swing weight feel. I like the putter, but it feels lighter than I like and I'm killing putts with too much speed.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Actually the funny thing is I'm seeing specs that grip is actually 105g not 50 g like usual SS mid slim 2.0. Anyone know if this is true?

That makes complete sense and is also a head scratcher why TM would do that.

Heads feels way heavier and overall much better with the lighter rubber grip

That makes complete sense and is also a head scratcher why TM would do that.

Heads feels way heavier and overall much better with the lighter rubber grip

It's weird -- I'm finding that I like the lighter swingweight with the stock grip, and I've always preferred heavier putter heads. It still feels very stable to me. A grip change might be good to keep in mind if this proves to be just a honeymoon period thing.

First tournament round with it was basically a disaster, though a lot of it was poor green-reading. I do notice a tendency to leave the face open on short putts, though. Probably because I am used to putting with an Anser style putter with 45* toe hang, the face balanced setup might not work for me in the long run, unless I make big changes to my stroke (not ruling that out, because doing what I've been doing hasn't worked that well). But the biggest issue was distance control. It seemed like I couldn't get the speed right for most of the day. I switched back to my Low Tide Flow yesterday, and my putting overall improved quite a bit. It's still an open competition, but it's looking like this might end like my other face balanced putter experiments.

What would really be great is if they offered a flow neck version of this putter like the one J. Day plays, though that doesn't seem to be coming any time soon. I really don't get why they wouldn't want to capitalize on the popularity of the #1 player in the world, and offer even a watered down version of the same putter he uses (like with the Limited where the "weight ports" are cosmetic). Though I guess the Limited might be that watered down version. It doesn't seem like a flow neck would add a lot of manufacturing cost or anything, so the lack of options is a little puzzling to me.

First tournament round with it was basically a disaster, though a lot of it was poor green-reading. I do notice a tendency to leave the face open on short putts, though. Probably because I am used to putting with an Anser style putter with 45* toe hang, the face balanced setup might not work for me in the long run, unless I make big changes to my stroke (not ruling that out, because doing what I've been doing hasn't worked that well). But the biggest issue was distance control. It seemed like I couldn't get the speed right for most of the day. I switched back to my Low Tide Flow yesterday, and my putting overall improved quite a bit. It's still an open competition, but it's looking like this might end like my other face balanced putter experiments.

What would really be great is if they offered a flow neck version of this putter like the one J. Day plays, though that doesn't seem to be coming any time soon. I really don't get why they wouldn't want to capitalize on the popularity of the #1 player in the world, and offer even a watered down version of the same putter he uses (like with the Limited where the "weight ports" are cosmetic). Though I guess the Limited might be that watered down version. It doesn't seem like a flow neck would add a lot of manufacturing cost or anything, so the lack of options is a little puzzling to me.

the distance control issue is likely due to the heavy SS stock grip. My distance control got much better once I replaced it