Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Nostalgia about our golfing roots are pretty special.

Oglebay Park - Family getaway trip. Dad goes with me to a driving range. You stepped on a foot pedal and a ball was teed up for you on a mat. They had a cut-down 3 wood. It was downhill to the yardage markers. Dad pays for a small bucket for me and gets one for himself.

He shows me a little about the grip and setup - steps aside and starts hitting his own golf balls.

Eight-year-old moi watches HIM hit his first dozen or so balls. Totally mesmerized. Dad was and RIP still is my hero. Puppy-dogged that man in every move he made back then. If he was making or fixing something, I was there handing him tools and praying he'd show me how to drive a nail or work a saw. If he ate, I ate. He wore a golf shirt, I went looking for whatever came close to a golf shirt in my closet. You get the idea.

After a bit of staring open-mouthed t dad's golf swigs, and aping what he was doing by way of waggles and dry swings...I step on the little ball-feeding foot pedal button and there's a freak'n ball right there all teed up waiting for me to whack at it.

I didn't know at that age and stage of golf that downhill shots go farther. I didn't know diddlley crap. I just knew Dad made some sort of pre-shot moves and what his swing looked like to me from directly behind his back. I also didn't know when that ball sailed into the air if it was a good one or not - had NOTHING at that moment to compare it to. And most importantly, I didn't realize Dad heard me step on that foot pedal, had stopped what he was doing and was watching swing #1.

What I do know is that as I stood there watching it fly - Dad's unexpected voice of approval shot straight into my soul. I remember smashing that pedal again and again just to hear him brag about my shots (even when not so deserving). I remember him telling Mom once we all reunited how well I'd done. Remember bugging him endlessly for the rest of the trip for money to go hit more balls.

It was game-on. From that day forward. Still have his Sam Snead Wilson Blue Ridge in their bag. Clunky blades. No clue how he played them so well. Guess I got his bug for golf but never will have his natural talent for swinging them. He had a fluid, graceful, sweeping swing. It was a tension-free and beautiful thing.

What I wouldn't give to go back with him one more time - smash that foot pedal - and hear that voice of approval as the ball flies. And sometimes out there these days, I do hear it.

Finally a bit of time to add a bit of background to the eventful day now 48 hours in arrears.

It was raining on and off throughout the morning. Just showers, nothing torrential to speak of, but we later found out that less than 5 miles away they had 4" in one fell swoop! :help:

I checked the radar around 20 minutes past 2 and it appeared that we had the all clear for the ceremony. The bride arrived at 3:00 pm and as they were breaking for photos around 3:30 it started to sprinkle thus chasing the guests into the barn. It didn't last long and that was pretty much it for the weather.

A mobile pizza oven was hired to cater the meal which was pizza and salad (along with wine and beer). That poor fellow was making pies non-stop for nearly 3 hours which were delicious! Everyone left suitably fed and watered and proceeded directly to the reception, so it was a bit of a non-stop event spread over two locales.

Here's the happy couple at the reception in a converted factory building. They had a big party downtown for several more guests than those who attended the ceremony and meal at our property which consisted of immediate family and close friends.

Of course there's really no rest the day after as there's a clean-up and take down...

Someone had wondered if the best man was related. He is #1 son with the groom being #2. The fellow in the loader bucket is #2 son's best friend. He was a rock through this whole affair literally sleeping here for the two days prior as they worked tirelessly getting things ready.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Scomacer - this is some of THE most epic stuff we've EVER had in the Grille.

Just some of the best of the best. Well played!

I agree Reason, and for so many reasons (no pun intended Reason) it had a story leading into it that we were all happily involved in with our Grillepal, we were all hoping for a great finish to great planning for a wonderful couple, we were hoping for great weather, the setting was very cool, we got to see the wedding up front from dad's side of things which as a lot of us know can be challenging too, and we got to see the successful event happen including the nice story and pics... thanks Sco for letting us be a part of it!

Just a quick shout out for my dear wife, today is National Cancer Survivor's day. It's been 24 years that she's been a breast cancer survivor and............. trumpet's please.... today she and her friend both won first place gold medal in their age group in a triathlon! yay! My wife is on the right... she just turned 63 last week by the way :man_in_love:

Giving that suggestion a "go" as we speak. Thanks for that. And... once again, she's acting hinky again.

Geez o Petes. Where's my 3 iron?

I have more experience than you do,obviously.....the 5 iron works a lot better...the 3 did not have enough loft...bent the darn thing on a Dell

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Reason,I was also told by a very good authority that the proper,and correct way to fix all those issues is to do the following,in exactly this order:

#1: make sure that any table lamp isn't shining directly onto the screen

#2: Remove all change from your left pocket...place it into a small lid from a canning jar( must be a glass canning jar)

#3: Remove the shoe from your right foot

#4: Pour a glass of Jose Cuervo over ice in your favorite glass and add your favorite mixture...or none.

#5: Attempt the operating of said computer again.

#6: If still unsuccessful ,replace the change from the glass jar lid...place it anywhere you like...throw the lid away...use the jar as a glass

,...fill that sucker up with Jose....sit back....and contemplate just how hard you're gonna hit the darn thing with that 3 iron !

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Nice pic Sixty ! They look like they are a couple of really happy ladies !

Trying to watch the Memorial on streaming...its almost over...Tiger let his round get away the last four holes. He is actually playing

pretty good. That One Length guy is having a great round,...still leading with only hitting one fairway in the first 15....wow

WAYYYYYYY too many commercials..

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Giving that suggestion a "go" as we speak. Thanks for that. And... once again, she's acting hinky again.

I have more experience than you do,obviously.....the 5 iron works a lot better...the 3 did not have enough loft...bent the darn thing on a Dell

LMAO - Dell here, too. Been good to me for years. So it turns out when I said "yes" to chrome, I evidently hadn't given it time to download and get going - yet. Now that it;s fully on-board and clearly running -I have to say it. I do believe this is the solution. So far so good anyway.

Once again, be it a water line, a computer, or anything imaginable, there are good souls here to help a guy out. THANKS BILL. Was running out of ideas.

Now if she starts to crap the bed again soon, 5 irons it is! 10-4 on the 3 iron loft!

Reason,I was also told by a very good authority that the proper,and correct way to fix all those issues is to do the following,in exactly this order:

#2: Remove all change from your left pocket...place it into a small lid from a canning jar( must be a glass canning jar)

#4: Pour a glass of Jose Cuervo over ice in your favorite glass and add your favorite mixture...or none.

#6: If still unsuccessful ,replace the change from the glass jar lid...place it anywhere you like...throw the lid away...use the jar as a glass

,...fill that sucker up with Jose....sit back....and contemplate just how hard you're gonna hit the darn thing with that 3 iron !

Ya know I found something online that suggested making sure Windows open quickly. So I went all over the house throwing up sashes as fast as they'd fly. Then another online suggestion was to check memory. So I recited the words to a song we learned in 9th grade Spanish class. The last trick was something about booting so I found some steel toed and wore them while throwing windows open and singing in Spanish. None of it was helping. Whats up with that????

Trying to watch the Memorial on streaming...its almost over...Tiger let his round get away the last four holes. He is actually playing

pretty good. That One Length guy is having a great round,...still leading with only hitting one fairway in the first 15....wow

Thanks, yeah, they were thrilled, her friend can kick butt anyway as she's a local police sergeant...

just in case someone asks, would a hybrid work in place of the 3 iron?

Just a quick shout out for my dear wife, today is National Cancer Survivor's day. It's been 24 years that she's been a breast cancer survivor and............. trumpet's please.... today she and her friend both won first place gold medal in their age group in a triathlon! yay! My wife is on the right... she just turned 63 last week by the way :man_in_love:

24 years??? That's a true testimonial to beating it. So many folks (like my dad) couldn't beat cancer. She's a keeper! A healthy triathlete who beats the odds at any age.

Congratulations goes out to both of those fine ladies! Very impressive results! :good:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Here's one for the Scomacer clan:

Actually that's quite a fitting video, Reasy. MY older son prefaced his remarks by saying that he would offer the same courtesy that his brother gave him at his wedding and refrain from any defamatory stories, although he did offer that he had a veritable library of material if anyone wanted to discuss it privately later. It would seem that humor is always a part of any wedding celebration. In fact, the father of the bride showed up armed with some of her poems that she wrote when she was in grade school and had members of the wedding party read them. They were pretty humorous as can often be the case with juvenile compositions where the most important thing was finding words that rhymed.

One final photo from the day as a neighbour provided the chariot that the bride arrived to the farm in.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

So where do we start.

Sco, it’s special that you have friends who will put in the hard work to make the wedding such a success, having a good support team is so important. All the pictures are showing a special day enjoyed by family and friends and I agree the barn setting was perfect. As said it’s the best thing I have seen in the Grille, a special day for special people shared with us, your Grille family.

Sixty, give your DW a big pat on the back from me, it’s so good to see her enjoying life after such a big scare, such a strain on the family and you have all come through it with flying colours. I have watched many triathlons and always wonder how they do it, the will power, fitness and training involved shows a determination many do not have and on top of all that she looks so young, the lifestyle o viously suits her.

Only ever been to a putt putt on one ocaision and that was on holiday last year with DW who proceeded to whip my backside, everything she hit seemed to find the cup, mine were no where near.

Reason, take a 5 iron to it, once they start they get into the habit, I am sure there is a computer gremlin that likes taking the pee out of us humans.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

LMAO - Dell here, too. Been good to me for years. So it turns out when I said "yes" to chrome, I evidently hadn't given it time to download and get going - yet. Now that it;s fully on-board and clearly running -I have to say it. I do believe this is the solution. So far so good anyway.

Once again, be it a water line, a computer, or anything imaginable, there are good souls here to help a guy out. THANKS BILL. Was running out of ideas.

Now if she starts to crap the bed again soon, 5 irons it is! 10-4 on the 3 iron loft!

if you have not gotten it yet...Ad Block can be googled and added ...it works great

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

just in case someone asks, would a hybrid work in place of the 3 iron?

NO...Thats why I tried the 3 iron,which I bent.....and ended up with the 5...The Hybrid cracked like a green bean picked off the vine..the head went flying

into the window of the basement,hit DW's antique china collection door...(missed the glass thank the almighty) bounced off and hit Bootsie(my english springer).. on her behind....she thought the cat did it,chased it up the stairs......out the pet door and it was three days before the cat came back. So...NO on the Hybrid.

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Glad you have your problem solved Judge. And you're right........no matter what it is someone here will have a solution!

Hey Bill, you and Bryson are both studs with those SL irons. It's all about the PHYSICS...................and BIOMECHANICS

and FLEXORDOODLETHINGS........................................winning!

Thanks, yeah, they were thrilled, her friend can kick butt anyway as she's a local police sergeant...

Fantastic !

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Glad you have your problem solved Judge. And you're right........no matter what it is someone here will have a solution!

Hey Bill, you and Bryson are both studs with those SL irons. It's all about the PHYSICS...................and BIOMECHANICS

:cheesy: he may be a stud with them...my play is more like a new gelding sniffing a filly ! He knows what looks good and knows he is supposed to do

something,but hasn't a clue how !

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

:cheesy: he may be a stud with them...my play is more like a new gelding sniffing a filly ! He knows what looks good and knows he is supposed to do

something,but hasn't a clue how !

.........................................if that poor gelding had to learn from the gang in I and A, that filly would die a virgin.

She doesn't want that so she told the gelding to watch some youtube videos and come back to her in a week.

Finally a bit of time to add a bit of background to the eventful day now 48 hours in arrears.

It was raining on and off throughout the morning. Just showers, nothing torrential to speak of, but we later found out that less than 5 miles away they had 4" in one fell swoop! :help:

I checked the radar around 20 minutes past 2 and it appeared that we had the all clear for the ceremony. The bride arrived at 3:00 pm and as they were breaking for photos around 3:30 it started to sprinkle thus chasing the guests into the barn. It didn't last long and that was pretty much it for the weather.

A mobile pizza oven was hired to cater the meal which was pizza and salad (along with wine and beer). That poor fellow was making pies non-stop for nearly 3 hours which were delicious! Everyone left suitably fed and watered and proceeded directly to the reception, so it was a bit of a non-stop event spread over two locales.

Here's the happy couple at the reception in a converted factory building. They had a big party downtown for several more guests than those who attended the ceremony and meal at our property which consisted of immediate family and close friends.

Of course there's really no rest the day after as there's a clean-up and take down...

Someone had wondered if the best man was related. He is #1 son with the groom being #2. The fellow in the loader bucket is #2 son's best friend. He was a rock through this whole affair literally sleeping here for the two days prior as they worked tirelessly getting things ready.

Hey, red shorts! The groom is liking a little color. Very cool!

if you have not gotten it yet...Ad Block can be googled and added ...it works great

Bill is DA MAN! Ad blocker PRO is evidently out there now and once installed you can click on it in the upper hand portion of the Chrome screen. Once Ad Blocker Pro opens you can uncheck a box that allows "some" ads and she suddenly goes from a few to ZERO.

As to Bryson... yours truly rendered the rant of all rants in the midst of this past winter about forming a "lower case y" geometry between the putter and lead arm. Suggested that even if a person doesn't want to putt with that geometry full time, it's worth practicing and then going back to more of a "capital Y" look of the arms and putter if desired. Why? Cause you learn inside the lower case y thing to not worry about turning the toe past the heel (or not), you learn to use a consistent tempo faster/easier, and you learn to transition from backstroke to through stroke without yipping at it. THEN a golfer having those skills on-board can go right back to whatever grip and setup he prefers.

He didn't sink every putt, but he sure sank enough of them - especially when it counted. That longer putter that's anchored to his lead forearm IS that lower case y thing in action.

There's a few VERY acclaimed golfers out there right now that just might want to start thinking lower case y a little more. Bryson is doing something that's going to hold up more consistently for a long time. (Hey if it helps a half-blind old SOB like me it can't be all bad, right?)

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)