2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Bryson the physicist plays a 45.5 inch driver.

His SL Cobra irons are CBs..........kinda shovelly

Too bad he doesn't understand physics or know what's good for him.

EDIT: LOL, I'm speaking to a ghost. Sorry........

Cobra probably pays him to play a 45.5 driver. They can't have all their sponsored pros playing 44.5" because then no one would buy the 45.5".

Okinawa traffic lights!

So here is a subtle, non noticible difference with Okinawa traffic lights and the US.

First and foremost: obviously they drive on the other side of the road. There really is no difference in the learning curve to do so. A simple rule works and will allow you to pretty much drive without any practice on the other side of road....The driver is always on the center side of the road. The only time this rule is broken is when you drive a car that doesn't have the steering wheel on the center side of the road (i.e. those who bring GT-Rs back to the states, or bringing an American car to Japan). As for pedals, they are the same. Gas on the right, break on the left, and the clutch on the far left (if you have a manual). The gears on the manual are the same layout as well. In other words they don't flip anything just because you are on the other side of the car.

So with that. A left hand turn is equivalent to a right hand turn, and a right hand turn is equivalent to a left hand turn in the states. In other words, a right hand turn crosses oncoming traffic just like a left hand turn in the states.

First up, the laws. Unlike the states, which varies litterly by every state, and local goverment, you CANNOT turn left on red. EVER. (This would be a right on red rule in the states). The law doesn't vary at all in Japan. The other big difference is right hand turns are always green AFTER traffic, not before like a majority of the states. At the same time all right hand turns are considered yielding during a green light, definitely not like the states. The other difference is you are expected (hell they paint lines) to pull out into the intersection to wait to turn right, some states have laws that prohibit you from pulling out into the intersection. So now for the fun traffic lights.

You get used to the traffic lights pretty quickly, but they are pacilur compared to the states. First I haven't ran into a street light that's in the middle of the road yet like in the states. All the traffic lights are on the left hand side of the road hanging off a pole. All the lights are also horizontal, no verticle (another difference).

However; you better pay attention to them. Not all the light have a right turn arrow, and some have a straight arrow. Lights that don't have a right turn arrow will remain green until you are no longer allowed to go. What you don't see, and why you have to pay attention, is the oncoming light gets a red light and you can now turn right. There just is no indication other than the obvious stopping of oncoming traffic, to tell you that you can turn right safely. Then there are lights that have a right turn arrow. The light will be green, and you can still turn right (yielding of course to traffic), after the light turns red, you'll get your right arrow to turn. Pretty standard stuff. Then there are lights that don't have a right arrow, but instead have a straight arrow. These lights will stay red until you can make a right turn. Instead, you get a green straight arrow that allows traffic to go straight. This will freak you out the first time you see it, because it is litterally a red light with a green straight arrow. The light will then turn yellow, and the arrow will disapear. Then the light will turn green along with a green right arrow. This is not for you to go straight, it is only for you to turn right. Then it is back to the normal sequence of things. This light is pacilur because it emphasis the point that a green light means go for all traffic and yielding for right hand turns. However; this is the only light where you cannot go right when traffic is clear.

What makes the roads crazy is how the lights on the same road are inconsistent. For example one street light will be a standard light with a green arrow, the very next intersection could be a green straight arrow with a red light, followed by a light with no turn arrow. That is what makes the lights here so interesting, and why I felt it was worthy of sharing..

Ohhh on a side note, I think Okinawa has determined the best way to prevent power outages by downed powerlines....All their powerline poles are concrete...

Okinawa traffic lights!

So here is a subtle, non noticible difference with Okinawa traffic lights and the US.

First and foremost: obviously they drive on the other side of the road. There really is no difference in the learning curve to do so. A simple rule works and will allow you to pretty much drive without any practice on the other side of road....The driver is always on the center side of the road. The only time this rule is broken is when you drive a car that doesn't have the steering wheel on the center side of the road (i.e. those who bring GT-Rs back to the states, or bringing an American car to Japan). As for pedals, they are the same. Gas on the right, break on the left, and the clutch on the far left (if you have a manual). The gears on the manual are the same layout as well. In other words they don't flip anything just because you are on the other side of the car.

So with that. A left hand turn is equivalent to a right hand turn, and a right hand turn is equivalent to a left hand turn in the states. In other words, a right hand turn crosses oncoming traffic just like a left hand turn in the states.

First up, the laws. Unlike the states, which varies litterly by every state, and local goverment, you CANNOT turn left on red. EVER. (This would be a right on red rule in the states). The law doesn't vary at all in Japan. The other big difference is right hand turns are always green AFTER traffic, not before like a majority of the states. At the same time all right hand turns are considered yielding during a green light, definitely not like the states. The other difference is you are expected (hell they paint lines) to pull out into the intersection to wait to turn right, some states have laws that prohibit you from pulling out into the intersection. So now for the fun traffic lights.

You get used to the traffic lights pretty quickly, but they are pacilur compared to the states. First I haven't ran into a street light that's in the middle of the road yet like in the states. All the traffic lights are on the left hand side of the road hanging off a pole. All the lights are also horizontal, no verticle (another difference).

However; you better pay attention to them. Not all the light have a right turn arrow, and some have a straight arrow. Lights that don't have a right turn arrow will remain green until you are no longer allowed to go. What you don't see, and why you have to pay attention, is the oncoming light gets a red light and you can now turn right. There just is no indication other than the obvious stopping of oncoming traffic, to tell you that you can turn right safely. Then there are lights that have a right turn arrow. The light will be green, and you can still turn right (yielding of course to traffic), after the light turns red, you'll get your right arrow to turn. Pretty standard stuff. Then there are lights that don't have a right arrow, but instead have a straight arrow. These lights will stay red until you can make a right turn. Instead, you get a green straight arrow that allows traffic to go straight. This will freak you out the first time you see it, because it is litterally a red light with a green straight arrow. The light will then turn yellow, and the arrow will disapear. Then the light will turn green along with a green right arrow. This is not for you to go straight, it is only for you to turn right. Then it is back to the normal sequence of things. This light is pacilur because it emphasis the point that a green light means go for all traffic and yielding for right hand turns. However; this is the only light where you cannot go right when traffic is clear.

What makes the roads crazy is how the lights on the same road are inconsistent. For example one street light will be a standard light with a green arrow, the very next intersection could be a green straight arrow with a red light, followed by a light with no turn arrow. That is what makes the lights here so interesting, and why I felt it was worthy of sharing..

Ohhh on a side note, I think Okinawa has determined the best way to prevent power outages by downed powerlines....All their powerline poles are concrete...

That is very similar to the Australian traffic light system, took a little while to get used to it after the UK but it makes more sense.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

These are our heaps of mulch. There were four piles, one has been laid and some of the first one has gone. To put it in perspective, the back fence is six ft high.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Okinawa traffic lights!

Thanks JB, I really like hearing about Japan working for a Japanese company and all. You might find this interesting being in Japan. We make all kinds of products. We make some automotive products, and our main product is a linear motion guide that goes in things like manufacturing equipment, in medical equipment like under CAT scan beds, helps big printers slide like the kind that print off the posters you see in the airport, and to me the most interesting product is one used in Japan that helps dampen the seismic shock of earthquakes to a building. So when a building is being built, the actually go under the structure. Here's how they work:

That's one heck of a heap of mulch you've got going there, tol! That should keep your flowers mulched for years to come.

----------------------------------

The kids flew out at 4:00 pm yesterday making their way back home to their pooch Millie. That's the longest that Ryan has been away from her since he went out west to work well over a year ago.

Everything just happened so fast it all seems like a dream now. Did this really happen or am I just waking up? There are a few subtle reminders, but within a week even those will be gone. Now to get back to what we call normal life around these parts. It will seem a bit strange as normal hasn't really been part of the conversation for what seems like months.

Thanks to all for your kind comments. I was glad to be able to share this little "adventure" with you. Probably would never have made it through it without the opportunity to vent from time-to-time.

---------------------------------

The De Chambeau victory; DW had it on the television. Not sure what to make of the single length club thing. I see a bit of Moe Norman in his swing, but old Moe managed to pull off his magic with conventional descending length clubs and he was no doubt a better ball striker than the protege'. Not really my brand of Kool-Aid.

--------------------------------

Now to see about getting back to golf. The back has held up pretty well since the last incident and I've managed to ween myself off of the pills which is a huge thing. But, boy am I stiff! That seems to be the current state of affairs. I guess it's going to be a gradual process to get things loosened up and to begin to swing a club a bit. I figure if I get a session or two in at the range without ill effects before we go away that I'll probably give playing a try when we come back from holiday. This week though it's a long list of appointments to see to that have been put off from the last two months. I'll be busy, just in a different way.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Gentlemen, enjoyed reading all the postings this a.m. To many to mention specifically. From post wedding pictures, triathletes, to mulch piles. Beating on a misbehaving computer with a long iron to Japanese stoplights. Brightened the morning, made me smile. Well done.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Juaquin Niemann...

Hey, I think it's great he was contending. Love seeing a youngster out there getting it done.

Got no problem with the age-old swing your own swing philosophy.

But holy cow guys! Tell me HOW any man's back is remotely capable of this???

Had to take two Aleve and sit down for twenty minutes just looking at that twisted pretzel !

He has to have serious back issues ahead of him.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

The kids flew out at 4:00 pm yesterday making their way back home to their pooch Millie. That's the longest that Ryan has been away from her since he went out west to work well over a year ago.

Everything just happened so fast it all seems like a dream now. Did this really happen or am I just waking up? There are a few subtle reminders, but within a week even those will be gone. Now to get back to what we call normal life around these parts. It will seem a bit strange as normal hasn't really been part of the conversation for what seems like months.

Thanks to all for your kind comments. I was glad to be able to share this little "adventure" with you. Probably would never have made it through it without the opportunity to vent from time-to-time.

Very nice Sco, we have quite a group here in that the story you were telling in advance of the preparations and your feelings were really interesting and drawing of the heart as well- I think you made us feel a part of it too. Well done :good:

Juaquin Niemann...

Hey, I think it's great he was contending. Love seeing a youngster out there getting it done.

I knew there was a word in Spanish that described this. Remember having one of these as a kid? Well he swallowed his...

Juaquin Niemann...

I knew there was a word in Spanish that described this. Remember having one of these as a kid? Well he swallowed his...

Yea - That swing makes me pee just a little. OK a lot.

We'd no doubt all agree I'm a bit of an odd duck when it comes to fascination with swing crapola. Guilty as charged. Got to put this out there from the perspective a "swing nerd".

Every disc between every vertebrae from the base of his skull to the top of his tail bone goes through thermonuclear attack - repeatedly. A circus contortionist has a better chance of maintaining spine health. "I've always been super flexible" is something we've all heard from folks from time to time. OK fine. But of all the vids I've ever sat in front of over all these years, this one absolutely takes the cake.

Even if you "could" do this, I don't understand WHY you ever would. God Bless this guy. Sure hope he gets very rich very quick cause that dog just won't hunt long term. You almost find yourself praying a swing coach gets to him before it's too late.

No comprende.

Signed,

Stumped Swing-nerd

Juaquin Niemann...

hahaha... ok, I hadda go buy some bottled water, on account of I started choking on the peanuts I was eating when I was reading this post and started laughing at the same time....

WARNING.. do not eat peanuts while reading Reasy's posts...they are dangerous to your well being.. hahaha... wait, I might have pee'd too

Juaquin Niemann...

hahaha... ok, I hadda go buy some bottled water, on account of I started choking on the peanuts I was eating when I was reading this post and started laughing at the same time....

WARNING.. do not eat peanuts while reading Reasy's posts...they are dangerous to your well being.. hahaha... wait, I might have pee'd too

Sending in an Okinawan to perform emergency peanut removal. Meet Henry Heimlich. (aka Speedy).

https://media1.tenor.com/images/97877430ee3b1d8d2c137eb15be46618/tenor.gif?itemid=7832410

:telephone:

Watched a swing video of Joaco. He looks really good but that move at impact with his spine curved

way to the trail side..............I don't know..............if he fixes that he may ruin his swing, if he doesn't

he may ruin his back. I guess we can watch from the sidelines and see how this plays out.

I wonder how he did in the US Open qualifier today? He's also in the field in Memphis this week due

to his top 10 finish at Colonial. He's now earned temporary membership on the PGA Tour and can get

unlimited sponsor exemptions. This is the same route that Jordan took and when Jordan won he got

full time membership and the normal 2 year exemption and was all set. We'll see if Joaco can do the

same.

Okinawa traffic lights!

Thanks JB, I really like hearing about Japan working for a Japanese company and all. You might find this interesting being in Japan. We make all kinds of products. We make some automotive products, and our main product is a linear motion guide that goes in things like manufacturing equipment, in medical equipment like under CAT scan beds, helps big printers slide like the kind that print off the posters you see in the airport, and to me the most interesting product is one used in Japan that helps dampen the seismic shock of earthquakes to a building. So when a building is being built, the actually go under the structure. Here's how they work:

That is an awesome video. I've heard how a lot of building in LA are apparently using the same technology. Not sure if it is the same company though.

Whata ya think of this guy in his PJs and his buddy?

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAKnT0g8MtA[/media]

Nicely done, dang the little drum ditties are killin' me they're so.... I don't have words for it..., and wish I was there to sing along with it, I do a good Don Henley... I'm thinking it sounds much better there in person too... the PJ's, heck, he'd have'ta wear them on stage now wherever he goes.... they both know what they are doing, and I find some of the places they are at on the guitar interesting, they get the job done

Gentlemen, enjoyed reading all the postings this a.m. To many to mention specifically. From post wedding pictures, triathletes, to mulch piles. Beating on a misbehaving computer with a long iron to Japanese stoplights. Brightened the morning, made me smile. Well done.

Can I say ditto ? I am finally out of TTO tooled time out :)

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Planting today, palm tree, hibiscus, red papaya, and a crepe myrtle as a start replacement for the front yard gum trees, another flowering tree to be planted shortly.

Sons 35th soon purchased a wine fridge as his main present, being delivered today. We have an extensive wine collection but DW cannot drink too much of it as it will start off the AF, one very good reason for the ablation. Don’t drink to excess but like a glass with meals a few times a week.

Back to,work, splitting wood, about 6 tons waiting to be done, may take a while, will finish eventually. The tree stumps on the front yard are now being turned into plant pots, I am working with the chain saw to carve out the center, then DW will be planting a variety of plants, cheaper than having the stumps ground out and will be different so it will fit our personality.

Stay safe Grillers.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Can I say ditto ? I am finally out of TTO tooled time out :)

This gang is handier than a pocket on shirt! Goofy, too.

JB - Hey I've always wanted to ask about your avatar photo. Intrigues me every time you post. What the heck is that???

Tol - you probably remember Hurricane Katrina in the news a few years back. Mulch was in plentiful supply in areas hardest hit. So the good news all those piles of wood and mulch were often turned into a means of getting local economies back on their feet. The bad news is tons of it sat in huge piles for a long time waiting to be sold/shipped. Termites were suddenly traveling with it and being sent all over the US. Hoping those little devils aren't a problem your way!

These guys have lots of cool vids if anyone cares to check them out.

This one seemed like a nice way to end the day (or start the day for the morning crew).

[media=]

[/media]

Cool! My lil bro had a trombone. Takes a lot of wind to play one of those.

I'm guessing that JB's Avi is a wood splinter through a concrete curb. Big storm or Tornado?

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Thug, Stu, besides (where are you?), I have a question for you since you've been there. Actually anyone please chime in with their opinion of course. When pro golfers miss a short putt that they should have made, before they walk away from the green, many of them will stop, or turn around and stop and take one more staring look at the hole. It's like some guy would look after a divorce proceeding where the woman got everything and he got nothing (she got the gold mine he got the shaft). What's going thru their minds? I've always wondered if they are just disgusted with themselves, or are they rethinking what they should have done differently, or what they will do the next time, or just getting some kind of closure or just what?

JB - Hey I've always wanted to ask about your avatar photo. Intrigues me every time you post. What the heck is that???

Tol - you probably remember Hurricane Katrina in the news a few years back. Mulch was in plentiful supply in areas hardest hit. So the good news all those piles of wood and mulch were often turned into a means of getting local economies back on their feet. The bad news is tons of it sat in huge piles for a long time waiting to be sold/shipped. Termites were suddenly traveling with it and being sent all over the US. Hoping those little devils aren't a problem your way!

Termites are a fact of life in Queensland and most of Australia. All land is treated prior to building and they are continually finding new ways to keep them out. All the land and trees round our house is full of them, we have regular inspections to make sure we don’t have them in the house, and termite inspection is compusary prior to any house sale. The trees we have recently had removed are full of them, the core of the trees are gone and full with termite nests. The good thing is we have plenty of ants and they love termites for supper.

As an aside, in one of our homes I leaned against an indoor doorway and it collapsed, it was eaten away with termites, we had an inspection and they were everywhere, fortunately they had not moved into any structural wood. It took me six months to find all the bits eaten away and replace them, doorways, window frame supports, and dozens of other bits. We had the land outside aggressively treated all up it cost a few thousand dollars but it could have been much worse.

If you have never seen termite damage it’s sometimes difficult to see, they can eat all the wood away and leave just the paint, it does not show untill you lean against it, that’s what happened to us.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)