2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Sco, I've played 1 round of golf (with Scotee) in the past year and 4 rounds total the past 2 years. (those 3 rounds

with MC in July of '16). I know well the feeling of being on the sidelines golf wise. Nevertheless, I have stayed here

and plugged along and lived vicariously through those who have been playing. I do like the fact that the little golf I

have played in these 2 years has been with fellow Grillsters at least.

Although he no longer posts on WRX, there are a few of us who have kept in touch with MC privately. He's doing

well; has bought a new house and moved into it recently and hopes to get back to playing some golf soon. I hope

he may rejoin us in the Grille again at some future point. He has a unique sense of humor, lol. I know he does read

the posts in here from time to time.

Anyway, whether you're playing or not you still have much to contribute and I like reading all your posts; no matter

what they may be about.............I just wanted to say I can relate; having played so little myself the past 2 years.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

I think it was Fella that first sent me the invitation to join the little group here at the Grille. He figured I would fit right in and he was right. I consider all of you my friends.

No doubt the civility and respect are what makes this place tick, but it's the wide range of topics that get covered here that have turned this into a sort of virtual coffee shop/grille room rather than just a bunch of guys talking golf. I'm afraid that the way things are headed personally that if all the talk was golf I would soon wonder off feeling much like the fifth wheel without much to contribute and not needing the constant reminder of my situation. I know that I come and go to the other parts of the wider WRX universe depending upon mood and interests, but here is a daily stop if for no other reason to find out what everyone is up to.

There are times I get lost with some of the tangents traveled, but that's OK as I know a subject shift will soon be forthcoming even if I'm the one doing it with one of my increasingly frequent venting sessions. You guys are solid gold for putting up with me at this time and offering your unwavering support. You have no idea how much that means to me! :friends:

Hows that great song go?

he ain't heavy

he 's my brother

We have all been down the injury/recovery road...it takes a while and it isn't easy.

If you find things that cause pain,either sooner or a little later,it is best to not push it my man. Take care of yourself.

we are here whenever and for whatever you need that we can help with.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Still don't know, or really care, what Bonnaroo is other than some kind of music festival in Manchester, TN.

All I really know is I-24 through that area gets all clogged up, backed up and otherwise constipated for several

days in June..........this year June 6-11. I guess I could look it up but don't want to know enough to look, lol.

I WILL NOT miss traffic when I'm blissfully retired and standing on the 1st tee with 18 holes ahead of me.

SLED Gemini

page load

SLED Gemini

Sco, I've played 1 round of golf (with Scotee) in the past year and 4 rounds total the past 2 years. (those 3 rounds

with MC in July of '16). I know well the feeling of being on the sidelines golf wise. Nevertheless, I have stayed here

and plugged along and lived vicariously through those who have been playing. I do like the fact that the little golf I

Although he no longer posts on WRX, there are a few of us who have kept in touch with MC privately. He's doing

well; has bought a new house and moved into it recently and hopes to get back to playing some golf soon. I hope

he may rejoin us in the Grille again at some future point. He has a unique sense of humor, lol. I know he does read

Anyway, whether you're playing or not you still have much to contribute and I like reading all your posts; no matter

what they may be about.............I just wanted to say I can relate; having played so little myself the past 2 years.

me too Rad, I haven't played a serious round this year yet, haven't gotten to play in the league yet, and can't drive anymore of course due to that accident so that privilege is taken away permanently. Other than that, golf is pretty spiffy, beinz how I've played it all my life :) but there is the Grille and all...

Trying to get the next page to load. I'll delete this post later

SLED Gemini

me too Rad, I haven't played a serious round this year yet, haven't gotten to play in the league yet, and can't drive anymore of course due to that accident so that privilege is taken away permanently. Other than that, golf is pretty spiffy, beinz how I've played it all my life :) but there is the Grille and all...

Well, when I'm retired I'll drive up there and we'll go play all the golf you want.

SLED Gemini

Sorry a little rummy. Got up at 5am and it was already light out. Drove almost 400 miles round trip to pick up 5000 lbs of potatoes for the county food bank. Got back at 2pm and got 100 big sacks unloaded and into the cooler. Played nine holes with the Thurs. night group. Still some twilight here at 9pm. love this time of year in the Northwest.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Scotee is the Tater Man!

Well played, Sir. Some folks will get a nice hot meal now. NICE!

OK, old Reason sat here for a while figuring out the Grille juke selections when Gus happened by. I asked him for his ideas. He knew? Gus has an ear for this stuff. He said he was ready for songs with a soft beginning and a big finish. So we sifted through some tunes and these were his personal picks.

Bet you never heard this old corny tune arranged quite like this:

Gus figured that was a good start but he was looking for a little less pinky-in-the air and a little more soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHaGfdE3vIY

Still, he thought there's that slow quiet start that really ramps up even more.

STILL. He wanted an ending that blows the lid off, I asked him if he'd taken his nitroglycerin pill before showing him this one.

Atta-boy Gus. Way to shake the place up a little.

I saw the original 3 Dog Night 5 times, only original band I saw more was Chicago. Both sounded so good live, much better than any recording. I'd have to give Chicago the edge. There is no video that really captures the sound that came out of them on stage each time I saw them, Terry Kath was still alive then too, oh man... Jimi Hendrix said he (Terry) was better than him.

[media=]

[/media]

I saw Chicago live for the first time a bit over two years ago. They were playing in Toronto with Earth, Wind & Fire. It was quite the show with three sets; one Chicago; two EW&F and then playing together for the third set.

They sounded great, as good as I remember on any recording and of course played all their old standards. Even the fellow that took over for Peter Cetera sounded a lot like him with the same sort of range. :clapping:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Happy Man was one of my old Chicago favorites. I remember learning the guitar chords way back then.

I haven't looked to see if there's a good youtube of it. I gotta get rolling. Maybe someone can find one

and post it here. I saw them many times back in the early 70s. They were a warm up act, lol. Didn't take

long until they were the main act as they were blowing people away with how good they were.

SLED Gemini

Parallels in golf and music are endless.

Bubba never took a lesson. He just does what he thinks and feels.

Glenn Campbell and Faith Hill are two examples of people who can't read music.

Some were never trained formally (like golf) - others have music degrees.

Individual approaches and styles are found all over both endeavors.

Both require a certain amount of rhythm. The guitar is one of THE most self-taught instruments on the planet. Most golfers learned from family/friends, and mostly from their own mistakes. Both are a mechanism to escape. Both are riddled with characters (some loved, some hated). Relationships (bonds) have been forged and broken. Each normally involved travel at some point and the best go on tour. Both have at least some moment where nerves can ruin the performance. 99.99% of those who take on either, find themselves getting lost in practice for untold portions of their lives. Both require passion, patience, self confidence, commitment.

Bottom line, golf needs it's own Woodstock.

Let's find us a big empty farm somewhere and get this off the ground! :telephone:

One, Eli, Heavy Church, Jeremiah, Mama Told Me Not To, Never Been to Spain, Black and White. While they used simple three-chord stuff, they also used the "voices" of their instruments, themselves, and leveraged key changes, loud/soft dynamics, chord progressions, short staccatos and long languid tones. Their stuff had a lot of rich color and depth to it. You'd hear something a little different and interesting each time through.

Chicago - the same. Toto. Eagles. These groups were the Picasso artists.

Sorry rappers. Go ahead and express/enjoy your "thing". Music is a free pass to do just exactly that. But when.if you listen to what true artistry is and isn't.... 'nuff' said from this side of the opinion poll. Heavy metalists... you might want to try rap on for size. It looks a lot less stressful and every bit as much angry and hateful. Just a suggestion in case you find yourself walking around with a ton of pent up anger and hate. Don't really like yourself too much do you? lol.

Am glad for all to have their own thing but by no means is some of it "music". But that's OK. I can glue a broken coke bottle to the side of commode and call it modern art. Rap away. The good thing for you is you won't find the likes of me around when you crank it up. You've got yours and I've got mine. We can both smoke'm if we've got'em. LMAO.

One, Eli, Heavy Church, Jeremiah, Mama Told Me Not To, Never Been to Spain, Black and White. While they used simple three-chord stuff, they also used the "voices" of their instruments, themselves, and leveraged key changes, loud/soft dynamics, chord progressions, short staccatos and long languid tones. Their stuff had a lot of rich color and depth to it. You'd hear something a little different and interesting each time through.

Sorry rappers. Go ahead and express/enjoy your "thing". Music is a free pass to do just exactly that. But when.if you listen to what true artistry is and isn't.... 'nuff' said from this side of the opinion poll. Heavy metalists... you might want to try rap on for size. It looks a lot less stressful and every bit as much angry and hateful. Just a suggestion in case you find yourself walking around with a ton of pent up anger and hate. Don't really like yourself too much do you? lol.

Am glad for all to have their own thing but by no means is some of it "music". But that's OK. I can glue a broken coke bottle to the side of commode and call it modern art. Rap away. The good thing for you is you won't find the likes of me around when you crank it up. You've got yours and I've got mine. We can both smoke'm if we've got'em. LMAO.

I'm just gonna go ahead and disagree with you on the rap not being a form of true artistry. Just like an genres of music, there are good and bad artist. People whom are randomly throwing sounds and words together. But there are also musicians, rappers, whom absolutely are artist. People with significantly more complex and meaningful lyrics and song structures than that of many famous rock groups.

Instead of saying rappers aren't artist, you should have just said 'get off my lawn' ;)

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I'm just gonna go ahead and disagree with you on the rap not being a form of true artistry. Just like an genres of music, there are good and bad artist. People whom are randomly throwing sounds and words together. But there are also musicians, rappers, whom absolutely are artist. People with significantly more complex and meaningful lyrics and song structures than that of many famous rock groups.

Instead of saying rappers aren't artist, you should have just said 'get off my lawn' ;)

Enjoy! One man's peace is the next man's poison. I notice no one called me personally and asked if rap is OK to to write, sing, listen to, and perform or not. My nasty lawn is so riddled with poor soil and crabgrass not many would spend much time on it! :wave:

On the subject of why the Grill seems to work. At the core, we are a assemblage of individuals that share a common bond. Respect for the opinion and commentary of others. Each one of us has chosen to make an investment in the on-going success of this thread by revealing things about ourselves, our families, our daily lives. We've exposed ourselves in varying degrees. And that can be a dangerous proposition in the realm of social media. We've all observed the negativity, the self-serving need to be absolute in opinions proffered. Where the simple virtue of civility towards one another is lost in translation. So each one of us had made the decision to uphold our end of the social contract that's been made here, maintaining our end of the bargain. Not going to be the one to bring discord to the discussion.

Or maybe its nothing more than a bunch of regular guys that kinda like one another. That enjoy stopping by to "chew the fat" for awhile. On whatever important or mundane subject that may be the topic of the moment. An amusing and entertaining divergence from what may be occurring in our "real" lives. On a global basis. Which if you really contemplate that, is rather amazing.

As for me, I'm here for the chuckles. And swing thing tips that will transition me from hack to scratch.

Well it was aptly named in the beginning "Clubhouse Grille" It was like the old days when the guys hung out at the clubhouse. You are liable to hear anything on any subject and everyone most times gets a laugh unless of course it is sad and tragic.

Reasy has walked some of the same ground I have in the Charlotte NC area I am sure of it so he may know about the place I am fixing to mention. It was on the South side of Charlotte near the Lance Cookie plant. It was called the Iron and Putter what a place. A combination of a restaurant , bar, par 3 course and driving range. Man he had some good food too I mean steaks and burgers. In the spring summer and fall we always had a evening dog fight going. I think greens fees for 9 holes was $2 or $3. throw $10 in the Dog fight pot winner take all. The owner also threw $1 in the dog fight pot for each player for a HIO. Heck some nights we played 4 or 5 dogfight rounds He even had a genuine Rock Ola jukebox in the clubhouse bar restaurant combo. Even if the weather was bad someone was always around drinking beer eating burgers and shooting the s***. This little slice of heaven here in the corner of WRX reminds me of that little place. One night I won the HIO pot some $300 of course when the night was over at 4 AM we had drank and ate it all up. Was reminded of that place today when I heard the Mel Tillis song "Coca Cola Cowboy" That song was by far the most popular one in the place. The owner was cool as heck he would stay open as long as someone was drinking beer and eating. He had a camper out back so if it was too late he slept there instead of going home. Not a fancy course in fact sorta a goat ranch but fun. He did have one maintenance man if he was sober and showed up. Sometimes I would take the ancient Toro mower and mow greens and he would fix me a big steak for free. He would go out early Sunday morning and mow the fairways and tees with a 3 row gang mower pulled by an ancient Cushman that backfired and farted all the time. He did not open up on Sunday until 2:00 because you could sell beer after 2. Never ever did we have any fights or disagreements in spite of the mass quantities of alcohol consumed. Almost forgot he had 2 pool tables too old school style as in you paid at the counter for your games. Sadly that place is gone now been gone for years. Like I said the Grille here reminds me of that place. Down here no one hardly hangs out at the grill rooms and some of these courses have some nice ones

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Happy Man was one of my old Chicago favorites. I remember learning the guitar chords way back then.

I haven't looked to see if there's a good youtube of it. I gotta get rolling. Maybe someone can find one

and post it here. I saw them many times back in the early 70s. They were a warm up act, lol. Didn't take

long until they were the main act as they were blowing people away with how good they were.

25 to 6 to 4 is my favorite Chicago song in fact I can play the start on a guitar. And I can not read one note of music. A guy many years ago showed me how. I can also play Queen "Fat Bottomed Girls" on the drums again a one legged drummer (no not the one from Def Leppard) showed me that one. I can play a little Harmonica all of that I taught myself including Paul Simon "Call Me Al" and Tom Petty "Mary Jane's Last Dance".

Footnote--- The band Chicago was originally named Chicago Transit Authority but the real Transit Authority you know the folks that run the trains and busses sued them over the use of the name so they changed it to simply Chicago

On the subject of why the Grill seems to work. At the core, we are a assemblage of individuals that share a common bond. Respect for the opinion and commentary of others. Each one of us has chosen to make an investment in the on-going success of this thread by revealing things about ourselves, our families, our daily lives. We've exposed ourselves in varying degrees. And that can be a dangerous proposition in the realm of social media. We've all observed the negativity, the self-serving need to be absolute in opinions proffered. Where the simple virtue of civility towards one another is lost in translation. So each one of us had made the decision to uphold our end of the social contract that's been made here, maintaining our end of the bargain. Not going to be the one to bring discord to the discussion.

Or maybe its nothing more than a bunch of regular guys that kinda like one another. That enjoy stopping by to "chew the fat" for awhile. On whatever important or mundane subject that may be the topic of the moment. An amusing and entertaining divergence from what may be occurring in our "real" lives. On a global basis. Which if you really contemplate that, is rather amazing.

As for me, I'm here for the chuckles. And swing thing tips that will transition me from hack to scratch.

Well it was aptly named in the beginning "Clubhouse Grille" It was like the old days when the guys hung out at the clubhouse. You are liable to hear anything on any subject and everyone most times gets a laugh unless of course it is sad and tragic.

Reasy has walked some of the same ground I have in the Charlotte NC area I am sure of it so he may know about the place I am fixing to mention. It was on the South side of Charlotte near the Lance Cookie plant. It was called the Iron and Putter what a place. A combination of a restaurant , bar, par 3 course and driving range. Man he had some good food too I mean steaks and burgers. In the spring summer and fall we always had a evening dog fight going. I think greens fees for 9 holes was $2 or $3. throw $10 in the Dog fight pot winner take all. The owner also threw $1 in the dog fight pot for each player for a HIO. Heck some nights we played 4 or 5 dogfight rounds He even had a genuine Rock Ola jukebox in the clubhouse bar restaurant combo. Even if the weather was bad someone was always around drinking beer eating burgers and shooting the s***. This little slice of heaven here in the corner of WRX reminds me of that little place. One night I won the HIO pot some $300 of course when the night was over at 4 AM we had drank and ate it all up. Was reminded of that place today when I heard the Mel Tillis song "Coca Cola Cowboy" That song was by far the most popular one in the place. The owner was cool as heck he would stay open as long as someone was drinking beer and eating. He had a camper out back so if it was too late he slept there instead of going home. Not a fancy course in fact sorta a goat ranch but fun. He did have one maintenance man if he was sober and showed up. Sometimes I would take the ancient Toro mower and mow greens and he would fix me a big steak for free. He would go out early Sunday morning and mow the fairways and tees with a 3 row gang mower pulled by an ancient Cushman that backfired and farted all the time. He did not open up on Sunday until 2:00 because you could sell beer after 2. Never ever did we have any fights or disagreements in spite of the mass quantities of alcohol consumed. Almost forgot he had 2 pool tables too old school style as in you paid at the counter for your games. Sadly that place is gone now been gone for years. Like I said the Grille here reminds me of that place. Down here no one hardly hangs out at the grill rooms and some of these courses have some nice ones

Stuey I "think" the grounds that would have been located on (South Blvd) is now a car dealership. Heck that whole road is a string of car dealerships.

Anyone wants a car should come to here and drive up and down S. Blvd and Independence Blvd. There's a go-zillion cars to be bought on either of those two roads!

Still don't know, or really care, what Bonnaroo is other than some kind of music festival in Manchester, TN.

All I really know is I-24 through that area gets all clogged up, backed up and otherwise constipated for several

days in June..........this year June 6-11. I guess I could look it up but don't want to know enough to look, lol.

I WILL NOT miss traffic when I'm blissfully retired and standing on the 1st tee with 18 holes ahead of me.

Yeah we are having the Carolina Country Music Festival going on up in Dirty Myrtle this weekend in fact it started yesterday. Traffic was a total biotch on the second run yesterday and on top of that they had the hurricane evacuation drills for law enforcement and had them set up at every crossover from here to Marion SC. Now they did not actually reverse the lanes. All the local truckers have known about it for months and the general public has been informed in the news media. The tourons coming out from the beach were freaking out at all the blue lights and cops. Coming back down traffic was heavy with out of state plates going to the beach. We have gotten now on Friday we do not make the second run because of the traffic. So I was back on the Beach by 9:30 fueled and got ready for Monday. Got home around 11:30 took a nap and just got up

Stuey I "think" the grounds that would have been located on (South Blvd) is now a car dealership. Heck that whole road is a string of car dealerships.

Anyone wants a car should come to here and drive up and down S. Blvd and Independence Blvd. There's a go-zillion cars to be bought on either of those two roads!

Yep damn right you and I have walked some of the same ground in that area

1974......the original Happy Man...............Chicago

SLED Gemini

I saw the original 3 Dog Night 5 times, only original band I saw more was Chicago. Both sounded so good live, much better than any recording. I'd have to give Chicago the edge. There is no video that really captures the sound that came out of them on stage each time I saw them, Terry Kath was still alive then too, oh man... Jimi Hendrix said he was better than him.

[media=]

[/media]

I do not know if anyone has posted this before. I heard on the Beach Radio station how Three Dog Night got it's name In fact heard it today on the way home

Seems in Australia (and Tol can confirm this when he wakes up) Back in the day that some of the folks would dig a hole to sleep in and if it was a little chilly they would curl up with 1 Dingo (which is a breed of dog) If it was a little cooler they would curl up with two Dingos. If it was extremely cold they would curl up with 3. They referred to how cold it was by how many Dingos they curled up with the night before. So a real cold night was referred to as "A Three Dog Night" those guys heard about that and adopted the saying for their band name.

James Pankow, Chicago's trombonist is the man! Composed a ton of their biggest hits. Has MONSTER chops. His old man is a pretty well know actor (James Pankow). I noticed the song Happy Man (thanks Rad) doesn't feature the brass section but then again, in 1974, that part of the band may well have still been developing.

Have seen Chicago live a couple of times. SWEET!

Maybe one of you guys will know, but I'd swear there was at one time a guy in the band who wore this turbine - perhaps of Indian decent - I dunno. But when I went searching I didn't see him or any mention of him. Was I dreaming or was there such a guy? Will go a step farther with this. As I remember it, this mystery player was a Phd in music.

Entirely possible I have this all wrong but I can close my eyes and just see this guy accepting music awards with the band and performing on stage with them.

The brass was there from the beginning when they were CTA. If you listen closely to the beginning of Happy Man

you can hear them talking like it was a studio out take or something and it sounded good and so they put it on the

album.............just a guess on that, lol.

SLED Gemini

Beach Music! (Thanks Fella)...

Remember these girls as Teeny Boppers? Their hit was "Hold On". Daughters of Bryon Wilson and Mamma Cass Elliot.

All grown up now. Yea, probably helped significantly in this case by an incredible sound engineer or two. Who cares! Acapella and very well done, Ladies.

PS - Bryan...No disrespect dude, I'm the father of a daughter, too. But Wendy (brunette on the left) is presumably also a model??? I can't look too closely for too long. Gives me chest pains.)

Maybe one of you guys will know, but I'd swear there was at one time a guy in the band who wore this turbine - perhaps of Indian decent - I dunno. But when I went searching I didn't see him or any mention of him. Was I dreaming or was there such a guy? Will go a step farther with this. As I remember it, this mystery player was a Phd in music.

I have such a recollection as well, but I just finished going through some of the album art and there's no such image in the albums I looked at.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)