2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Sometimes players get upset when they miss a putt, this pro was not happy at all because a missed put can make a difference of hundreds of thousands of dollars and also lost FedEx points as well such as below, this guy feels the pain of both...

I know exactly how he feels :)

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

These guys have lots of cool vids if anyone cares to check them out.

This one seemed like a nice way to end the day (or start the day for the morning crew).

[media=]

[/media]

Just a perfect way to start the day, Reasy!

I was driving home from bridge last night and remember surfing through various channels at each stoplight in the vain attempt to find a station with music worth listening to. I was thinking that I'm going to have to program in a country or jazz or classical station to get a break from what masquerades as popular music and/or the 24 hour talk radio/sports stations that seem to be everywhere now! I sure do miss my satellite radio! May have to re-up the subscription.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Sometimes players get upset when they miss a putt, this pro was not happy at all because a missed put can make a difference of hundreds of thousands of dollars and also lost FedEx points as well such as below, this guy feels the pain of both...

[media=]

[/media]

Never have I seen such dedication to the pursuit of perfection in everything they do...

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

With the wedding in the rear-view mirror, it's now time to focus on all those things that I've been ignoring for the past couple of months.

I had a birthday yesterday, so I went and got assessed for orthotics. My massage therapist recommended I do this and I found out that my feet are different. My left has a fallen arch and my right has a high arch. As a result I'm a bit lopsided and there's a whole bunch of compensations going on. Could make a huge difference to my back problems or not. I guess we're going to find out.

From the foot clinic, DW and I went out for a late lunch/early supper to a little taco joint called The Burro. I had the brussels sprouts, fish and beef cheek along with the rotating pour; an unfiltered IPA from a local craft brewery. That was delish!

From there it was onto the mall to shop for a piece of luggage. I don't know how in heck they figure that a hard sided suitcase is worth $500, but that's the posted sticker! There was a 60% off sale so that made it more bearable. It's all about weight these days as my old case which is getting pretty worn weights in at 7.5 kg empty whereas the new one is only 3.5 kg. That's enough to make a difference when the weight limit is 20 kg for domestic and 23 kg for international flights. The difference in the case alone would allow you to pack 4 bottles of wine without going over. We have been known to bring back wine when in the Okanagan visiting the kids...

The next three days are more appointments to see if I can get the ball rolling on a more permanent solution to what ails me. Funny part is that I've been feeling quite a bit better once I got over the initial exhaustion. Friday is supposed to be my first day working at the course, so we'll see how that goes.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Anyone want to talk about golf? I know, I know; those discussions have been on going, I just haven't really been part of it. Any topic is fair game.

Let's start with something that's pertinent to my situation. After a long lay-off, how do you get back into the playing mode without over doing it, especially if it's after an injury?

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Anyone want to talk about golf? I know, I know; those discussions have been on going, I just haven't really been part of it. Any topic is fair game.

Let's start with something that's pertinent to my situation. After a long lay-off, how do you get back into the playing mode without over doing it, especially if it's after an injury?

I followed Doctors orders....but it was really the best way. Once I was allowed to swing..i was limited to nothing but soft wedges for the first couple weeks...then full wedges,followed by higher lofted irons....really SCO, just a very gradual re-entry. In my case it was after surgery.

Good luck and just dont over do things for the first couple times !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Joaco didn't make it through the US Open qualifier.............the longest day as they call it (US Open Qualifying).

Always some surprises as to who makes it and who doesn't. Adam Scott played in his first ever qualifier and

made it by 1 stroke to keep his consecutive majors streak going (now 68 spanning 17 years).

Too many names to mention but I'm sure there's a compiled list somewhere on line.

So much controversy with Brittany Lincicome getting a sponsor's invite to play in the Barbasol, opposite the

British Open. I've heard her talk about it. She's great and has the right attitude, I think. Very few even pay

attention to that tournament anyway and I'd rather see her play than watch David Duvall go out and shoot

2 rounds in the 80s, lol. I hope she has some fun and that fans just take this for what it is and support her

out there as it's just a one time deal and nothing more.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

I followed Doctors orders....but it was really the best way. Once I was allowed to swing..i was limited to nothing but soft wedges for the first couple weeks...then full wedges,followed by higher lofted irons....really SCO, just a very gradual re-entry. In my case it was after surgery.

No injuries here but when I get back to playing this fall I plan to ease back in as well..........to avoid injuries.

I long for that oily feel that Sam Snead talked about.

SLED Gemini

No injuries here but when I get back to playing this fall I plan to ease back in as well..........to avoid injuries.

I long for that oily feel that Sam Snead talked about.

After my usual morning stretches and walk I decided to give a club a swing when I got back home. I figured I was suitably warmed up that I should be OK to take a few blind swings. Rather than a wedge I pulled my 4 iron thinking that something a little longer that would allow me to be more upright would be preferrable. I took probably a dozen to fifteen swings without a ball and then went looking for 3 balls to try to hit more as a check to make sure I was swinging OK based on contact and flight.

The first I hit off the heel of the club then the next two were fine. I used to set-up close to the ball, but the current version of things seems to favour me being a bit further away. I think I must be extending my arms a bit more. The swings were smooth and rhythmic which is likely a necessity going forward. No pain, but that was about enough for a first attempt as I could tell that I was doing something I wasn't used to. I will give it a go again in a few days.

At this point I'm just nicely off of meds and trying to incorporate a few more exercises and activities to keep moving without overdoing things which likely took place during all the wedding preparations.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Echoing thoughts of others here - Easy does it. That's the simple straight-forward reply.

Will go this far. Here are some bullet points we can expand upon here if you or others even care to. If not - no problem. Just putting this stuff out there for possible discussion. As always, what follows lives under the umbrellas of me not having all the answers, and as Fella says, "YMMV". This is stuff I deeply believe having been through my journey which includes back problems.

* Little 9-3 swings are a good thing - BUT from my history the shorter clubs are a bit heavier and you stoop over a bit more. So por moi, I'd swing a 5 or 6 iron (and as said by others - half swings at first).

* Putting and pitching - In my case that same "stooping" thing is painful when practicing for long periods. This and my personal height vs arm length make-up eventually lead to slightly longer shafts that are slightly bent upright. AND practice on and around the greens for me had to happen in measured doses. Could work on half swings for a solid hour once I began to stretch out and feel better - BUT - had to keep short game work down to 10-15 minute intervals for quite a long time.

* Tension... This is the one I personally can't emphasize enough. It's in us. Calves, quads, armpits, neck, shoulders, forearms, jaw, grip... It's both in there from the moment of address AND we introduce tension once in motion. I personally HIGHLY recommend becoming your own "guru" in an almost zen-like awareness of where it lives in your address as well as your swing. Get rid of it from the moment of stepping into the shot and work to eliminate it all the way to the finish pose. IMHO, your back will thank you endlessly.

* We don't hit the ball at the top of the BS. Yet it's often that last portion of getting to the top where tension and strain is introduced. TOTALLY BAD! Let the hips open up a bit, let it go up there nice and easy. Finish it wherever it wants to finish without pain or tension, and slow down a bit as you move to the finish of the BS. Heck, put a little mini pause up there if you want. This is a HUGE issue because when we cut the back swing short to save back pain, we suddenly get stabby and quick (and tense) in transition. That in turn leads to all brands of hitting "at" the ball and with that all brands of miss. So it's critical once your swing moves from half-swings to fuller swings, to find that tension-free way of finishing the back swing as fully as you can - even if that means it's a 3/4 swing without introducing tension - AND - it's even more critical to move then into the downswing SMOOTHLY. In this way, you don't need to tense up while completing the back swing NOR do you need to lunge or lurch at it to start back down. In short, fall in love with the idea of finishing the BS in a manner that ends in a way you could almost take a nap up there. EASE it up there in those last few degrees of completion. Let your hips open up a bit and just relax like never before. Then, start back down gently and quietly. Accelerate SMOOTHLY to whatever finish pose your back can tolerate and finish with the club, hands, arms, and body all stopping in unison. Takes time to ingrain the ideas that what's really at the root of all this is tension and lack of a smooth, flowing, quiet transition.

* For this golfer, stretching is a must. On and off the course. The days of hopping out of the car and whacking it minutes later on the 1st tee are over. Pain (for me) has a direct tie to getting this aging body as loosened up as possible and taking time doing so.

* Soctee put out a nice post a month or so ago about little exercises we can all do around the house. As others have said - things need to be directed by your own Doc... but will say what he served up was some really good stuff. Your call on going back to find that post and giving it a go.

* For me, hydration has WAY more influence on my spine that I would ever have believed before having back problems. So I do try to keep it coming with the water day and night. For some stupid reason it seems to serve up a little attitude boost in the process.

This tank is basically dumped! LOL. I think it was Hogan who said the swing should be a relaxing and pleasurable thing - not a tension-filled and painful thing. Evoking the Hogan card gets some folks a little annoyed since it's a thing so many golfers seem to do to validate just about anything golf related. Have to say, in this case I'm pretty sure he was right.

Thug - if you're still out there... now you know why from this seat, that X factory swing is bad juju. IMHO we can get plenty of "X: as described right here in this post and no one get injured in the process. But I can't impose my will or personal experience on another man. Might make me cringe to hear it - but won't project my thing into your personal world. Just be careful is where I'll leave it. And if you are out there - hope all is well.

Sorry - one more (quick) thing.

Can't speak for others but for me it was ALWAYS about finding the right grip, setup, and then optimal motion.

Now I still deeply believe that regardless of personal build, age, yadda. I do deeply believe that.

BUT....

The guys here like Peanuts Daddy, Fella, Stu, Rad, and the list goes on.... are people I credit for teaching me the value of getting the sticks tuned up to whatever your personal best swing is or isn't. I totally confess to not knowing or even caring about what shafts (or anything other than maybe the lie angles) mean. TOTALLY didn't give a rat's arse.

Bottom line - I now can share that a tender spine is happier when the equipment is dialed in to YOU. Experiments with different "stuff" out there or finding a fitter you TRUST would be two viable approaches. As a fellow back problem sufferer - I can't help suggesting it's a matter of BOTH the Indian and the arrow. It's truly eye-opening to discover what a difference the right equipment does. And with that - I personally don't care what another man has to say about cbs, blades, graphite vs steel, yadda. There is some combo of components, some level pf personal specs that are right for each golfer. The world can be damned about what is "best". There's some sort of "best" that will resonate for the individual regardless of all vehemently placed arguing about what is or isn't supposed to go in YOUR bag. It's deeply personal and individual but I do now believe (thanks again to others here) that you, your back, and your game need the sticks that will support whatever it is you personally need to do out there and it makes a big difference.

Sorry - couldn't let that one slip by unmentioned.

Tension is a funny thing. The more your try to consciously eliminate it, there's great potential to create it! I figure that you just kind of have to let things flow as they may and resist the hit tendency. Just let the ball get in the way of the swing or at least that's my thought process.

Been practicing the Dance du Golf as espoused by Julian Mellor whose YouTube channel I linked to earlier in an attempt to get the foot work down pat even when I'm not swinging a club.

Agree about having to limit short game and putting practice, although putting on carpet with my little auto-return putting green hasn't been a problem whenever I pulled it out and gave it a go. I've got an old 36" Zing if I need to go a bit longer than my standard 35" putter.

Easy does it is definitely going to be the operative phrase going forward. I suspect that it will probably be a month before I'm really ready to play even nine holes.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I know that I won't be doing a lot of switching around of clubs compared to other years. Lighter and longer and a bit more upright are what I need to work best with the swing that I have in my mind. That points directly at my newest gear by and large although I'm wondering aloud if those new Vokey wedges might not be what I need to blend in the best with my i25's. I have bid on a couple of Ping Glide wedges so far hoping to get something that might blend in a bit better for weight and lie angle with that in mind, but no success yet. Don't really want to buy anything until I'm sure that I'm going to be able to start playing again regularly this season.

It's almost liberating to not have the specter of performance hanging over one's head. It really doesn't matter how well I play when can I play is the yet to be answered question. It will almost be like when I began to play and I approached each round with wide-eyed wonder being surprised by what I might be able to accomplish versus having an expectation of how one should play. Could end up being the most fun I've had with this game in quite a while!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Ha, he switched to lefty..........still has that great hand eye coordination. Reminds me of a young Corey Whitsett.

BTW, what happened to Corey? I thought he was a lock for the tour but didn't make it so far. I remember watching

him win the junior amateur championship about 10-11 years ago......and he was on the national champion Alabama

team a few years back. Must be tough watching his old team mates playing and winning on tour.

SLED Gemini

Should be fun watching little Caden West progress over the years, I'd say he's bound for the PGA, here he is a couple of years ago and this year....

Amazing!

Hopefully without revealing too much... there's a golfer here on the forum I entered into pretty lengthy PMs with a couple of years ago. "She" in this case is an accomplished golfer who in her case, lives with autism. Long and short of it I would chat with her about golf in general and how she manages her game so well - challenges notwithstanding.

So one evening during our exchanges we started talking about children and how they so often swing the club better than adults. And it's a fact that they do so often have some in-born way of just going into motion beautifully. (They very often can swing it lefty or righty, too btw).

What she told me in all this was unforgettable. Her own challenges have a connection to very young children when it comes to golf. In so many words... they're "innocent". That's the exact term she used. No one has ruined them with too much information. They don't know how to feel sorry for themselves and therefore don't really judge themselves. They don't have all these "filters" connected to all things in life. They just do stuff versus picking it apart and getting hung up about it. They don't relate to judgmental stuff therefore they aren't managing expectations in a ways grown golfers get hung-up in.

They're "innocent". Will never forget that one. .

Ha, he switched to lefty..........still has that great hand eye coordination. Reminds me of a young Corey Whitsett.

BTW, what happened to Corey? I thought he was a lock for the tour but didn't make it so far. I remember watching

him win the junior amateur championship about 10-11 years ago......and he was on the national champion Alabama

team a few years back. Must be tough watching his old team mates playing and winning on tour.

Haha thanks Radro, I put the wrong first video on there, he was a lefty in the beginning too... :)

Should be fun watching little Caden West progress over the years, I'd say he's bound for the PGA, here he is a couple of years ago and this year....

Amazing!

Hopefully without revealing too much... there's a golfer here on the forum I entered into pretty lengthy PMs with a couple of years ago. "She" in this case is an accomplished golfer who in her case, lives with autism. Long and short of it I would chat with her about golf in general and how she manages her game so well - challenges notwithstanding.

So one evening during our exchanges we started talking about children and how they so often swing the club better than adults. And it's a fact that they do so often have some in-born way of just going into motion beautifully. (They very often can swing it lefty or righty, too btw).

What she told me in all this was unforgettable. Her own challenges have a connection to very young children when it comes to golf. In so many words... they're "innocent". That's the exact term she used. No one has ruined them with too much information. They don't know how to feel sorry for themselves and therefore don't really judge themselves. They don't have all these "filters" connected to all things in life. They just do stuff versus picking it apart and getting hung up about it. They don't relate to judgmental stuff therefore they aren't managing expectations in a ways grown golfers get hung-up in.

They're "innocent". Will never forget that one. .

I remember her if she's still around, she made some pretty worthy of mentioning accomplishments the last I knew, then I didn't see her anymore, it's been a while if it's the same one :(

Loved that first video of young Caden West as he figured the game out on his own. It's pretty obvious that the coaches have gotten a hold of him by age seven with the perfect reverse C finish. I really have to wonder if they'll end up ruining him...

-----------------------------

Got a little more information today following my first appointment with my new GP (the predecessor just retired). She was quite direct in her assessment informing me that I was dealing with degenerative discs and osteoarthritis based her on review of my chart and imaging. Physiotherapy, exercise, pain management and activity modification is the treatment plan with the goal of avoiding surgical intervention should things continue to deteriorate. IOW, same old, same old and I will have to figure it out on my own as to what I can do and how frequently. She cringed when I mentioned golf along with my curling as she views both as particularly hard on the back. Urged me to allow adequate healing to take place before attempting because each occurrence of trouble will take longer to recover from than the previous one. Such is the case when dealing with degenerative conditions. At least I know what I'm dealing with now and hopefully I can better tailor the treatment plan going forward.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Sco, you never said whose birthday it was so happy birthday to the birthday person.

I try to keep fit and active, we have extensive work to do in the garden, tons of wood to move and cut, millions of mulch so it’s not a problem, don’t know how it will help when I start golfing again, have to start sometime but I am reluctant to leave DW at present.

We were talking this morning and DW said we are getting reclusive, we stay home apart from shopping, work on our art and garden, improve the house but hardly ever go out and socialise. My wife has a friend we visit once a month, she would also visit us the same, but we now have no desire to move out amongst the general population. We are happy with each other’s company and find no desire to mingle, mainly because we find ourselves with less and less in common with most others. My golfing partners never seem to last, the regular turn up at the same time, play with the same group, the same jokes, does not compute any longer, I enjoy walking round on my own, deliberating on my next stroke, looking round and finding lost balls.

We have non invasive neighbours, they are there when needed but do not intrude, everything about our lifestyle works towards our now reclusive existence.

This morning is our shopping day so we are out into the great unknown, I would put on my invisibility cloak but it is difficult to pay at the till if they cannot see you, so, out we go, in full view of all the local wildlife.

Stay calm Grillers, golf is well and truly on its way for you all.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

The birthday was mine, #59 to be precise, so thanks for the well wishes, tol.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The birthday was mine, #59 to be precise, so thanks for the well wishes, tol.

Happy belated birthday, please remind us next year as you prepare to turn the big 60. Maybe it's something you won't want to be reminded of though... :stop:

I hope your back situation turns out ok though. I remember being fit for orthotics maybe 12 years ago in my journey to where I am now. I eventually had some really heavy back pain, then I went to a specialist who gave me a lower lumbar shot to ease the pain, which in my case due to my epilepsy also brought on a seizure the next day. They discussed that I would possibly need spinal surgery if the disc that seemed to be deteriorating continued. My latest MRI showed it got better. However I do of course have the foot drop on both feet, but I'll take that, as I wear AFO braces which are somewhat easy to live with, they just help my feet sping back up. Hopefully your situation will get better, keep up your hope, things can get better, I'm convinced that a great positive outlook really helps which I see you have compared to what some people would have of course. :superman:

Macer-man is blow'n out candles??? Hey that's great! Enjoy and have a happy one. Wow, a family wing-ding and a birthday all in short order.

And Father's Day is right around the corner, too.

Things are a-happening in Scomcer Land! Well putt one in that ball return doo-dad for all of us and have yourself a great one.

Oh- hand about turning 60 next year. I can only promise this. Some time in vext sticks two 12 months, you're ability to found the write keys on youor computer will deckline. Somehow turning 600 makes it suddently harder to poist without edittttts. Just blame it on Goofle Krome and things well worf out just fine.

Ha ha ha happy belated birthday Scomacer! #59........spring chicken.................... :D

SLED Gemini

We need to do a Grille Golf Get Together.............GGGT............................in 2019......While We're Young.......

SLED Gemini

Well...............maybe we have plenty of time...........

SLED Gemini

Well...............maybe we have plenty of time...........

Buds - you and I are going down that path of complete refusal to EVER give up the game. One hand gets lost in an accident, we'll glue on a manikin hand. Both knees crap out, we'll wheel ourselves out there on crate with casters on it. We get too old to even consider walking - we'll motorize the crate-cart. Course Super says our driving is too reckless, we'll put a fog horn and a cow catcher on it.

I can see it now... Radro and Reason rolling up on golfers 1/8th our age, pulling out spaghetti noodle shafted clubs with heads the size of basketballs, and asking if we can play through!

We're going to make golf history, Bro! The first two golfers to drive the ball sling-shot style with a distance ball and a hernia truss.

Yep, where there's a will there's a way. We'll swallow our Vigolfra pills in the parking lot as we put on

our shoes and then go drive shots so far we can't see them land.

SLED Gemini

Ya know, speaking of Viagra I've become a bio-mechanics expert just by reading stuff online. YUP! I now consider myself quite the guru on how the human body works during the golf swing. Here's a sample or two of things I've now got a handle on....

There's a term when it comes to our ability to stretch a muscle quite a bit without injuring it. It;s called the "elastic limit". You know you've exceed it when the waistband of your shorts explodes mid-swing.

There's also a term for way our inner thighs form a triangle with the ground at address. For men it's called the "Flying Wedge" and for women t's called the "Volvik".

Now this one is a little technical so bear with me. It's possible to transduce your lactic burn rate and recovery time in golf...provided you drink milk til you puke while running backwards through the cart barn (naked of course). The possible side effect (they call it contra bass indicators) is you might get a little spit up stuck in your quimbilicus (belly button for you novices at this stuff).

Incredibly, I got this stuff from a blogger who was a musician prior to pursuing golf bio-mechanics. If you care to check him out, his name is Ben Marcato (and his all girl band).

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)