Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

> @SixtySomePing said:

> My DW's birthday today, our youngest and family are up from Tennessee until Monday, our oldest grandson from our oldest daughter here in town graduates Saturday so we all have a party campfire style that night, then he joined the army so he will be going in this summer. Lots of events taking place here. I will sacrifice watching the Memorial this year on tv, the least I could do, hahaha, but I'm picking Fowler. I'm usually only good at picking major winners, so we'll see how well I do...

Happy birthday to Mrs Sixty, have a lovely day and a family feast with your visitors.

• Like 1

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

> @scotee said:

> Happy Birthday to Mrs. Sixty!

>

> Happy Anniversary to the Tols. 44 is "better than most"

Let me add my well wishes to the celebrants! :blush:

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @scotee said:

> So I got er done! Tired and retired. A lot of hugs and a few tears. I saw two of the grandkids as some of my last patients. I will keep my license up for now so I can work on family if they want. I'm open for suggestions. What's next?

>

> 4vkit78xm7d4.png

>

> 4lt36dx4b4yn.png

>

Wow, can imagine it was a very emotional day. As you so eloquently said

a little while back; all these years from the start of dental school til now

represents a big part of who you are.

Nice to have such cute grandkids as your last "official" patients.

So, what is next?????................keep turning the mass, baby!!

• Like 1

In my time perusing eBay over the years I encounter funny stuff

now and then. I've seen people mess up the Nike "Dri-Fit" they

put on the clothes/labels with mispellings/auto correct type errors.

Adidas seems to have the funniest ones though because they're

little label slogan is Climalite and sometimes Climacool. I

saw one guy selling Adidas Climate Control shirts once, lol.

Today I bumped into this aberration of Climalite and had to do

a double take on it. I even looked further down into the listing

and saw it repeated................Climb A Light, LMAO!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-Owned-Adidas-Climb-A-Light-Golf-Shorts-Size-32/273869272774?hash=item3fc3e176c6:g:CmwAAOSwO~Jcr2Tn

• Like 1

> @SixtySomePing said:

> Nice birthday trip to the ice cream factory after romping outdoors with our daughter and son-in-law with grandkids. I'm sure it would look like you're seeing double when viewing the identical twins :)

> b2ji54du46v2.jpg

>

Someday I hope to have a couple of those myself! :wink:

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances, golf has had to be re scheduled for Monday. I know I have possibly disappointed my many followers but with a few glasses of vino you will soon get over it.

On the off chance you have forgotten what it looks like.????????

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @scomac2002 said:

> > @SixtySomePing said:

> > Nice birthday trip to the ice cream factory after romping outdoors with our daughter and son-in-law with grandkids. I'm sure it would look like you're seeing double when viewing the identical twins :)

> > b2ji54du46v2.jpg

> >

>

> Someday I hope to have a couple of those myself! :wink:

Me also but my son seems to be a confirmed Batchelor.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

scotee, Sixty, what beautiful looking grand children, you must be so proud of them. Don’t spoil them too much or am I already too late for that suggestion.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @Conrad1953 said:

> In my time perusing eBay over the years I encounter funny stuff

> now and then. I've seen people mess up the Nike "Dri-Fit" they

> put on the clothes/labels with mispellings/auto correct type errors.

>

> Adidas seems to have the funniest ones though because they're

> little label slogan is Climalite and sometimes Climacool. I

> saw one guy selling Adidas Climate Control shirts once, lol.

>

> Today I bumped into this aberration of Climalite and had to do

> a double take on it. I even looked further down into the listing

> and saw it repeated................Climb A Light, LMAO!!

>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-Owned-Adidas-Climb-A-Light-Golf-Shorts-Size-32/273869272774?hash=item3fc3e176c6:g:CmwAAOSwO~Jcr2Tn

As with most items we could buy on Ebay from America, postage is usually two to four times the price of the purchase so we buy from other countries and nearly always get free postage. D W ordered make up on line yesterday morning, it arrived free postage by express courier which is normally expensive, this morning. That was from south Australia so it would have been overnight air freight, don’t know how they do it for the price as it is top of the range and only 20% of the store price.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

@tolmij ; you're definitely right about the cost of postage from the U.S. It's typically costing me anywhere from $30-$50 to get golf equipment here from south of the border now! Within country shipping is often free if you make a minimum purchase and never more than $10-$20 for something of that size. No matter how you cut it, it is still quite a bit cheaper than buying in-store. I'm not sure how the bricks and mortar stores keep going for a lot of what we consume.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Took advantage of the beautiful day to get a bit of gardening done. I haven't been in much of a mood for that what with the move on tap and the generally poor weather to boot. Weeds have been growing profusely if nothing else so I decided I needed to get ahead of that before we leave for a week. Got that pretty much done a dusted between this morning and early this afternoon.

With the lawn service having been in yesterday while I was at the course working I actually had a surface that I could do a bit of short game practice with my new frankenwedge. Now granted the sod conditions are such that you don't get much in the way of roll out especially when you're in the "rough", instead I just worked on a nice easy swing, letting the club do the work -- it does have enough weight behind it to do quite a bit of work without much effort -- and trying to have oily wrists. Even with a relatively full swing it doesn't launch the ball particularly high, but I think there's a fair bit of spin on it so you don't have to worry as much about scalding a shot across a green if you just try and maintain supple wrists through the swing. I was doing cute little 10 yard pitches with only one hand and the club just sort of swung itself. It's going to take some practice to get used to the run out on a green, but directional control is pretty good with the long blade and wide flange making up for less than perfect contact.

After about a half hour of "practice" I came inside and brought out the putter for a littel indoor practice. Dang that thing works good on carpet. If only the results were similar on grass. It'll all come around one day... :smile:

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Ya, funny how that works Sco. I can putt really well on the "turf" at

a golf store and on the carpet at home. When you do that it does

tell you something.........your alignment and stroke are OK.

We know that the greens most of us play on do not roll as true as

astroturf or carpet. I think sometimes when we miss putts on the

course it's not really our fault. Putts can go offline easily if not hit

firmly with enough pace to hold the line.

Of course, we can get a little sheepish about pace, not wanting tough

comebackers, so we get caught in that catch 22; trying to coax putts

into the hole and then watching them wiggle away from the hole for

lack of sufficient pace to hold the line on uneven

grass.

• Like 1

> @scomac2002 said:

> Took advantage of the beautiful day to get a bit of gardening done. I haven't been in much of a mood for that what with the move on tap and the generally poor weather to boot. Weeds have been growing profusely if nothing else so I decided I needed to get ahead of that before we leave for a week. Got that pretty much done a dusted between this morning and early this afternoon.

>

> With the lawn service having been in yesterday while I was at the course working I actually had a surface that I could do a bit of short game practice with my new frankenwedge. Now granted the sod conditions are such that you don't get much in the way of roll out especially when you're in the "rough", instead I just worked on a nice easy swing, letting the club do the work -- it does have enough weight behind it to do quite a bit of work without much effort -- and trying to have oily wrists. Even with a relatively full swing it doesn't launch the ball particularly high, but I think there's a fair bit of spin on it so you don't have to worry as much about scalding a shot across a green if you just try and maintain supple wrists through the swing. I was doing cute little 10 yard pitches with only one hand and the club just sort of swung itself. It's going to take some practice to get used to the run out on a green, but directional control is pretty good with the long blade and wide flange making up for less than perfect contact.

>

> After about a half hour of "practice" I came inside and brought out the putter for a littel indoor practice. Dang that thing works good on carpet. If only the results were similar on grass. It'll all come around one day... :smile:

Know exactly what you mean putting on carpet, seems impossible to miss. Would be interesting if you could transfer that skill to the course.

With our climate being sub tropical, the grass stops growing but the weeds never seem to, always plenty of them to pull up.

Nearly move out time for you so all the last bits and pieces being sorted, soon be over then you will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Hopefully?

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @scomac2002 said:

> @tolmij ; you're definitely right about the cost of postage from the U.S. It's typically costing me anywhere from $30-$50 to get golf equipment here from south of the border now! Within country shipping is often free if you make a minimum purchase and never more than $10-$20 for something of that size. No matter how you cut it, it is still quite a bit cheaper than buying in-store. I'm not sure how the bricks and mortar stores keep going for a lot of what we consume.

Bricks and mortar stores have done this to themselves, rude uncaring staff, lack of goods in store, way overpriced and difficult to return if there is a problem. The internet shopping regime has given them a much needed kick up the backside but unfortunately too many of them took to long to recognise their mistakes and change their attitudes. We now buy the majority of everything other than food on line, better service, cheaper, easy to return and a way better selection. Most of what we now purchase is free postage even when it is from another country, apart from the good old US of A that is, their postage charges are a real rip off.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I've been thinking lately about a very specific piece of advice that I was given when I first started to play this game. I'm not sure where I got this advice or idea from and I'm not even sure that it's good, but I see it being practiced all the time by pros on the tour or at least I get the impression that's what they're doing.

That piece of advice is to take the wrists out of putting and by extension it is often preached to use a wristless stroke in the basic chipping motion. It's upposed to be all about taking the fine motor skill muscles out of play and relying on the big muscles of the shoulders. Who ever came up with this idea? I'm sure it wa someone famous or made famous by teaching this to a pro and correcting their horrendous putting.

There are some musicians on here. Would you ever think to play a piano or a guitar with your shoulders? No, that's not going to work. So why is it that taking the wrists out of a golf shot are a good thing? Steve Stricker is famous for this with his golf swing. That also happens to be a swing that i would like to emulate, but that the subject of another storyline. If reasy is out there somewhere in cyberspace I'm sure his swing talk radar is sending out a homing signal to get back here and drop a comment. It's time to go old school and put the wrists back into the short game and putting!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

We go to the cinema sometimes to see top of the range movies, today we went to see Rocketman and it was really a fizzier, the reviews were good but compared to the Queen movie it was a non starter. Like some of his music but the movie did not portray him in a very good light to my mind. The ending was a real let down, no more in case any of you are off to see it. Like to hear other Grillers views if you go to see it.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @scomac2002 said:

> I've been thinking lately about a very specific piece of advice that I was given when I first started to play this game. I'm not sure where I got this advice or idea from and I'm not even sure that it's good, but I see it being practiced all the time by pros on the tour or at least I get the impression that's what they're doing.

>

> That piece of advice is to take the wrists out of putting and by extension it is often preached to use a wristless stroke in the basic chipping motion. It's upposed to be all about taking the fine motor skill muscles out of play and relying on the big muscles of the shoulders. Who ever came up with this idea? I'm sure it wa someone famous or made famous by teaching this to a pro and correcting their horrendous putting.

>

> There are some musicians on here. Would you ever think to play a piano or a guitar with your shoulders? No, that's not going to work. So why is it that taking the wrists out of a golf shot are a good thing? Steve Stricker is famous for this with his golf swing. That also happens to be a swing that i would like to emulate, but that the subject of another storyline. If reasy is out there somewhere in cyberspace I'm sure his swing talk radar is sending out a homing signal to get back here and drop a comment. It's time to go old school and put the wrists back into the short game and putting!

Reasy's not around to talk right now it seems but I will chime in.

There's a big difference between having oily wrists that just react to the

swing motion....and flipping the wrists. This is just my opinion and I'm

not speaking for him.......but any kind of willful wrist action adds a variable

to the swing that must be managed with exquisite timing and feel.

On a guitar or piano you are using your fingers, and wrist movement

is done to facilitate the movement of the fingers. In golf, of course,

your fingers are just holding the club and your fingers aren't going

anywhere during the swing.

In my mind adding "wrist action" to a swing; even a putt, just adds

an unnecessary complication.....and with the short game and putts

can lead to the yips.

• Like 1

> @tolmij said:

> We go to the cinema sometimes to see top of the range movies, today we went to see Rocketman and it was really a fizzier, the reviews were good but compared to the Queen movie it was a non starter. Like some of his music but the movie did not portray him in a very good light to my mind. The ending was a real let down, no more in case any of you are off to see it. Like to hear other Grillers views if you go to see it.

Ha, I'm guessing Rocket Man aka Elton John aka Reggie Dwight (his real name).

I'll watch the movie when it hits Netflix in due time. I was a big fan of his in

the 70s. Went to see him live in '71 at the Hollywood Bowl. He was a prolific

songwriter when he was teamed up with Bernie Taupin; who wrote all

the lyrics. Both of them very talented in what they did.

I still have some of his piano songbooks on hand along with some Billy

Joel songbooks; since they were both pianists.

I haven't followed EJ's life but have heard of his troubles from time to

time. Kinda sad. In the mid 70s he was probably one of the most

popular pop artists and singers.

• Like 1

> @tolmij said:

> We go to the cinema sometimes to see top of the range movies, today we went to see Rocketman and it was really a fizzier, the reviews were good but compared to the Queen movie it was a non starter. Like some of his music but the movie did not portray him in a very good light to my mind. The ending was a real let down, no more in case any of you are off to see it. Like to hear other Grillers views if you go to see it.

My taste in movies is often 180 degrees away from the critics taste. The Queen movie got bad reviews, and I really enjoyed it. I probably will not waste a trip to the theater to see the Elton John movie based on your post, and the critics positive review. E.J. was a very talented man, and I still enjoy his stuff he

• Like 2

> @scomac2002 said:

> I've been thinking lately about a very specific piece of advice that I was given when I first started to play this game. I'm not sure where I got this advice or idea from and I'm not even sure that it's good, but I see it being practiced all the time by pros on the tour or at least I get the impression that's what they're doing.

>

> That piece of advice is to take the wrists out of putting and by extension it is often preached to use a wristless stroke in the basic chipping motion. It's upposed to be all about taking the fine motor skill muscles out of play and relying on the big muscles of the shoulders. Who ever came up with this idea? I'm sure it wa someone famous or made famous by teaching this to a pro and correcting their horrendous putting.

>

> There are some musicians on here. Would you ever think to play a piano or a guitar with your shoulders? No, that's not going to work. So why is it that taking the wrists out of a golf shot are a good thing? Steve Stricker is famous for this with his golf swing. That also happens to be a swing that i would like to emulate, but that the subject of another storyline. If reasy is out there somewhere in cyberspace I'm sure his swing talk radar is sending out a homing signal to get back here and drop a comment. It's time to go old school and put the wrists back into the short game and putting!

Sco.

If I get wristy with my chips, the result is inconsistent ball contact and distance. I'm not saying it won't work for others, but I get better results using wristless.

As far as putting, I have seen some guys putt well with a wristy action. I can't pull it off though.

• Like 2

From our 40th anniversary we have purchased a Jacaranda tree on the day and planted it along the fence line, if you don’t know what they are look it up, they have the most beautiful blue colour flowers. They are in bloom just before Xmas and are usually planted along streets, dozens of them, all you can see is the brilliant blue blossoms and the carpet of fallen blue flowers along the road. A picture of Jacarandas along a Brisbane road.

uzvphqf8ezi7.jpeg

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

The Lilacs are in bloom here right now.

yebmp7k2bq8h.jpg

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @BicknellCC said:

> > @scomac2002 said:

> > I've been thinking lately about a very specific piece of advice that I was given when I first started to play this game. I'm not sure where I got this advice or idea from and I'm not even sure that it's good, but I see it being practiced all the time by pros on the tour or at least I get the impression that's what they're doing.

> >

> > That piece of advice is to take the wrists out of putting and by extension it is often preached to use a wristless stroke in the basic chipping motion. It's upposed to be all about taking the fine motor skill muscles out of play and relying on the big muscles of the shoulders. Who ever came up with this idea? I'm sure it wa someone famous or made famous by teaching this to a pro and correcting their horrendous putting.

> >

> > There are some musicians on here. Would you ever think to play a piano or a guitar with your shoulders? No, that's not going to work. So why is it that taking the wrists out of a golf shot are a good thing? Steve Stricker is famous for this with his golf swing. That also happens to be a swing that i would like to emulate, but that the subject of another storyline. If reasy is out there somewhere in cyberspace I'm sure his swing talk radar is sending out a homing signal to get back here and drop a comment. It's time to go old school and put the wrists back into the short game and putting!

>

> Sco.

> If I get wristy with my chips, the result is inconsistent ball contact and distance. I'm not saying it won't work for others, but I get better results using wristless.

> As far as putting, I have seen some guys putt well with a wristy action. I can't pull it off though.

For me I think this is about removing as much tension as I can. I guess if I'm trying to go wristless that ends up being rigid which sort of is how DeChambeau looks to me.

Julian Mellor talks a lot about supplesse and that's what I think he is referring to or at least that's my interpretation, this idea of being completely free of tension. This sort of flies in the face of modern swing theory where the object is create X factor and coiling the spring and other key phrases in the pursuit of distance.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Conrad1953 said:

> > @scomac2002 said:

> > I've been thinking lately about a very specific piece of advice that I was given when I first started to play this game. I'm not sure where I got this advice or idea from and I'm not even sure that it's good, but I see it being practiced all the time by pros on the tour or at least I get the impression that's what they're doing.

> >

> > That piece of advice is to take the wrists out of putting and by extension it is often preached to use a wristless stroke in the basic chipping motion. It's upposed to be all about taking the fine motor skill muscles out of play and relying on the big muscles of the shoulders. Who ever came up with this idea? I'm sure it wa someone famous or made famous by teaching this to a pro and correcting their horrendous putting.

> >

> > There are some musicians on here. Would you ever think to play a piano or a guitar with your shoulders? No, that's not going to work. So why is it that taking the wrists out of a golf shot are a good thing? Steve Stricker is famous for this with his golf swing. That also happens to be a swing that i would like to emulate, but that the subject of another storyline. If reasy is out there somewhere in cyberspace I'm sure his swing talk radar is sending out a homing signal to get back here and drop a comment. It's time to go old school and put the wrists back into the short game and putting!

>

> Reasy's not around to talk right now it seems but I will chime in.

>

> There's a big difference between having oily wrists that just react to the

> swing motion....and flipping the wrists. This is just my opinion and I'm

> not speaking for him.......but any kind of willful wrist action adds a variable

> to the swing that must be managed with exquisite timing and feel.

>

> On a guitar or piano you are using your fingers, and wrist movement

> is done to facilitate the movement of the fingers. In golf, of course,

> your fingers are just holding the club and your fingers aren't going

> anywhere during the swing.

>

> In my mind adding "wrist action" to a swing; even a putt, just adds

> an unnecessary complication.....and with the short game and putts

> can lead to the yips.

Yes, on guitar there are some nice songs with finger and wrist movement such as...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2NYXhe1HQ8

or not much wrist movement... How to stop duffing chips...

• Like 2

Thanks, Sixty! It's interesting that what ballard was talking about with the drill on the green was similar to what I was doing myself the other day with the one handed pitches.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @scomac2002 said:

> Thanks, Sixty! It's interesting that what ballard was talking about with the drill on the green was similar to what I was doing myself the other day with the one handed pitches.

Yeah, I like Clay Ballard, he has a lot of good videos on Ytube, and his teaching is quite easy to understand and helpful.

• Like 2

> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @scomac2002 said:

> > Thanks, Sixty! It's interesting that what ballard was talking about with the drill on the green was similar to what I was doing myself the other day with the one handed pitches.

> Yeah, I like Clay Ballard, he has a lot of good videos on Ytube, and his teaching is quite easy to understand and helpful.

>

Clay says something there that many don't realize..........the hands are

RISING at impact. If your swing is driven by your core rotation this will

happen naturally; you don't have to try to make it happen.

This applies to the full swing as well. The good thing about this; as he

points out, is swinging this way requires less precision; i.e, you have

much more margin for error.

If you get armsy or handsy then you're going to get steeper...and the

steeper you get the smaller your margin for error. It's really a matter

of playing the percentages and putting the odds in your favor.

• Like 1

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)