2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

> @scomac2002 said:

> Oh the birthday business isn't over yet. I've decided that considering this is the big 60 it should be a birthday month! :tongue:

WOW! You mean I am older than you are

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

> @Conrad1953 said:

> > @tolmij said:

> > > @SixtySomePing said:

> > > > @tolmij said:

> > > > > @scomac2002 said:

> > > > > > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > > > > I need to say something more about the hands RISING. The hands are rising

> > > > > > because they are past their low point in the swing at impact and are moving

> > > > > > left and up by the time of impact; as Clay demonstrated.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Many have been told in days past to hit down on the ball. This advice has

> > > > > > messed up more than a few golfers, lol.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >** What a game! The clubhead is still traveling down while the hands are

> > > > > > beginning to rise, at impact with an iron....so the feeling is actually of

> > > > > > hitting UP at the time of impact.**

> > > > >

> > > > > Yah, no kidding! NO wonder so many people give up in disgust or never get any better!

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Never understood the concept of hitting down on the ball, to me it always has been a recipe for disaster, just as I cannot take out a divot and do not understand why it is done. Always picked the ball off the top, if I take even the smallest divot the club almost stops, could be something to do with my swing speed.

> > > Agree on both. Taking a divot is highly overrated... it's the ball that's supposed to go in the hole, not the divot. I get people that ask me how I get backspin on wedges, as if that were the goal.

> > >

> >

> > Can’t remember ever getting backspin with anything, I presume you require a fair amount of club headspeed, something I do not have.

>

> All golf shots have backspin. Although you may not spin the ball

> backwards Tol I bet you have hit some shots that take 1 or 2 hops

> and then stop. The shots that hop and stop near the hole are far

> more impressive to me than watching shots spin backwards away

> from the hole and sometimes off the green.

>

> The truth is most of us am golfers leave our short shots woefully

> short of the hole so spinning a ball backwards will not be a thing

> we would want to do anyway.

Kinda like someone asked Lee Trevino one time about how to hit backspin. Trevino asked him where do your shots end up short or long? The guy replied short. Trevino replied well why in the hell would you want backspin for?

• Like 2

There are two ways to hit backspin--- Just like sixty said playing the club in the middle of your stance-- You can hit down and through it what is called trapping the ball--- Or you can nip it off a tight lie---- A lot of my backspin comes from my natural cut especially with irons. Now my little cut does cost me distance especially with the driver but I can control it.

• Like 2

> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > @tolmij said:

> > > > @SixtySomePing said:

> > > > > @tolmij said:

> > > > > > @scomac2002 said:

> > > > > > > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > > > > > I need to say something more about the hands RISING. The hands are rising

> > > > > > > because they are past their low point in the swing at impact and are moving

> > > > > > > left and up by the time of impact; as Clay demonstrated.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Many have been told in days past to hit down on the ball. This advice has

> > > > > > > messed up more than a few golfers, lol.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >** What a game! The clubhead is still traveling down while the hands are

> > > > > > > beginning to rise, at impact with an iron....so the feeling is actually of

> > > > > > > hitting UP at the time of impact.**

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yah, no kidding! NO wonder so many people give up in disgust or never get any better!

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Never understood the concept of hitting down on the ball, to me it always has been a recipe for disaster, just as I cannot take out a divot and do not understand why it is done. Always picked the ball off the top, if I take even the smallest divot the club almost stops, could be something to do with my swing speed.

> > > > Agree on both. Taking a divot is highly overrated... it's the ball that's supposed to go in the hole, not the divot. I get people that ask me how I get backspin on wedges, as if that were the goal.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Can’t remember ever getting backspin with anything, I presume you require a fair amount of club headspeed, something I do not have.

> >

> > All golf shots have backspin. Although you may not spin the ball

> > backwards Tol I bet you have hit some shots that take 1 or 2 hops

> > and then stop. The shots that hop and stop near the hole are far

> > more impressive to me than watching shots spin backwards away

> > from the hole and sometimes off the green.

> >

> > The truth is most of us am golfers leave our short shots woefully

> > short of the hole so spinning a ball backwards will not be a thing

> > we would want to do anyway.

> Exactly right Rad. The backspin I get is not the horrid backspin you see even the pros get, which I don't understand. I get maybe 4 ft. max. I have never been able to understand pros who land the ball on the green in some very nice position, only to have the ball pull back somewhere 20 or 30 ft. just to look impressive. Makes no sense. Either land the ball at the top of the green and back it up to the hole, or cut the backspin crap. I wouldn't be able to generate the backspin they do if I tried, mine is nice and subtle, sort of a drop and stop with a little 'forget to stop' at the end which I allow for. Never had one of those yank it back off the green things and never want one...

>

The shot you described is what we call a 1 hopper---- My friend I grew up with was a master of that shot with a balata ball. He claims now he can not do it with a modern ball. I am just the opposite I never could do it in the balata days but can do it with a modern ball especially with a Snell MTB or even a Pro V

• Like 2

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @SixtySomePing said:

> > > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > > @tolmij said:

> > > > > @SixtySomePing said:

> > > > > > @tolmij said:

> > > > > > > @scomac2002 said:

> > > > > > > > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > > > > > > I need to say something more about the hands RISING. The hands are rising

> > > > > > > > because they are past their low point in the swing at impact and are moving

> > > > > > > > left and up by the time of impact; as Clay demonstrated.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Many have been told in days past to hit down on the ball. This advice has

> > > > > > > > messed up more than a few golfers, lol.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >** What a game! The clubhead is still traveling down while the hands are

> > > > > > > > beginning to rise, at impact with an iron....so the feeling is actually of

> > > > > > > > hitting UP at the time of impact.**

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Yah, no kidding! NO wonder so many people give up in disgust or never get any better!

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Never understood the concept of hitting down on the ball, to me it always has been a recipe for disaster, just as I cannot take out a divot and do not understand why it is done. Always picked the ball off the top, if I take even the smallest divot the club almost stops, could be something to do with my swing speed.

> > > > > Agree on both. Taking a divot is highly overrated... it's the ball that's supposed to go in the hole, not the divot. I get people that ask me how I get backspin on wedges, as if that were the goal.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Can’t remember ever getting backspin with anything, I presume you require a fair amount of club headspeed, something I do not have.

> > >

> > > All golf shots have backspin. Although you may not spin the ball

> > > backwards Tol I bet you have hit some shots that take 1 or 2 hops

> > > and then stop. The shots that hop and stop near the hole are far

> > > more impressive to me than watching shots spin backwards away

> > > from the hole and sometimes off the green.

> > >

> > > The truth is most of us am golfers leave our short shots woefully

> > > short of the hole so spinning a ball backwards will not be a thing

> > > we would want to do anyway.

> > Exactly right Rad. The backspin I get is not the horrid backspin you see even the pros get, which I don't understand. I get maybe 4 ft. max. I have never been able to understand pros who land the ball on the green in some very nice position, only to have the ball pull back somewhere 20 or 30 ft. just to look impressive. Makes no sense. Either land the ball at the top of the green and back it up to the hole, or cut the backspin crap. I wouldn't be able to generate the backspin they do if I tried, mine is nice and subtle, sort of a drop and stop with a little 'forget to stop' at the end which I allow for. Never had one of those yank it back off the green things and never want one...

> >

>

> The shot you described is what we call a 1 hopper---- My friend I grew up with was a master of that shot with a balata ball. He claims now he can not do it with a modern ball. I am just the opposite I never could do it in the balata days but can do it with a modern ball especially with a Snell MTB or even a Pro V

Love my Snell MTB's... or MTB-X's X are great for the short game, that's what I'm using now actually. https://www.snellgolf.com/

• Like 2

My ball of choice is the Callaway XP soft, have much less slice with it. Better distance controls for me also, within 100 from the green I can usually put the ballfairly close to my target area.

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

It seems as though the cool and wet has invaded the BC interior as well. I found myself looking for a polar fleece last night and again this morning.

We went and saw Rocketman last night. I enjoyed it. I liked that it was done more in the style of a musical than as biopic. A appreciated the difference from Queen. Both really well done IMO.

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @"BIG STU" said:

> There are two ways to hit backspin--- Just like sixty said playing the club in the middle of your stance-- You can hit down and through it what is called trapping the ball--- Or you can nip it off a tight lie---- A lot of my backspin comes from my natural cut especially with irons. Now my little cut does cost me distance especially with the driver but I can control it.

However I don't trap when I play it in the middle, such as in a steep approach, I still play more of a shallow approach to allow the loft of the club to do its thing and not change the loft to something different than what it is supposed to be. That way I can rely on the loft and bounce for what they are stated to be. The trap works terrific if you understand that you will be getting a different loft than what's on the club of course, and the bounce won't be quite as effective when you hit down, unless you keep in mind the little word you used 'through'... many people take their foot off the pedal at impact. Just like with the driver, it's a swing, not a hit. Exception being those specialty chips off the side of a hill by the green when you have no choice but to bang it into the surface with very little follow through. There are other examples as well. Also, use much less loft going up a steep hill, and more going down a hill as the contour giveth and taketh away... sorry, preaching to the choir... B)

• Like 2

> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > There are two ways to hit backspin--- Just like sixty said playing the club in the middle of your stance-- You can hit down and through it what is called trapping the ball--- Or you can nip it off a tight lie---- A lot of my backspin comes from my natural cut especially with irons. Now my little cut does cost me distance especially with the driver but I can control it.

>

> However I don't trap when I play it in the middle, such as in a steep approach, I still play more of a shallow approach to allow the loft of the club to do its thing and not change the loft to something different than what it is supposed to be. That way I can rely on the loft and bounce for what they are stated to be. The trap works terrific if you understand that you will be getting a different loft than what's on the club of course, and the bounce won't be quite as effective when you hit down, unless you keep in mind the little word you used 'through'... many people take their foot off the pedal at impact. Just like with the driver, it's a swing, not a hit. Exception being those specialty chips off the side of a hill by the green when you have no choice but to bang it into the surface with very little follow through. There are other examples as well. Also, use much less loft going up a steep hill, and more going down a hill as the contour giveth and taketh away... sorry, preaching to the choir... B)

That shot you are talking about when you stick the club in the ground with no follow through is called a "chop pop" I learned that trick as a kid at a Lee Trevino clinic--- Ha Ha you ain't preaching glad to know we share pretty much the same short game philosophy. Another little trick I like is the belly wedge shot. I learned that trick from the old gamblers around the old man's course. Sorta perfected it putting with wedges in matches

• Like 1

Belated happy birthday Sco, Looks a good healthy meal and plenty of cake. Good idea having a birthday month, why not celebrate where we are, we usually do a birthday week And make it so different things are happening. Surroundings look fantastic, nice way to celebrate in style.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

This is me posing with my driver.

wl49t8v1fxc1.jpeg

Long awaited return to golf this morning, only used my irons and hybrid. After two holes started to hit them well and had about a 50/50 good shot bad shot count. Tried the driver on one hole And gave it a miss after that, short irons from 100 in were all falling a little short, had a few problems trying to get the correct weight. All in all it went much better than expected. DW was my driver, kept me in check. Decided to try and get in one a week from now on and will rejoin the club at the end of the financial year. Should be walking again very shortly but can only do that when I am on my own. Did not keep score but apart from the first hole played average double bogey.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @tolmij said:

> This is me posing with my driver.

> wl49t8v1fxc1.jpeg

> Long awaited return to golf this morning, only used my irons and hybrid. After two holes started to hit them well and had about a 50/50 good shot bad shot count. Tried the driver on one hole And gave it a miss after that, short irons from 100 in were all falling a little short, had a few problems trying to get the correct weight. All in all it went much better than expected. DW was my driver, kept me in check. Decided to try and get in one a week from now on and will rejoin the club at the end of the financial year. Should be walking again very shortly but can only do that when I am on my own. Did not keep score but apart from the first hole played average double bogey.

Nice to see you back out there Tol..........and looking dapper if I may say.

Let's see, June for you is like December for us; and you're wearing shorts

and the weather looks great! That is awesome.

• Like 1

> @Conrad1953 said:

> > @tolmij said:

> > This is me posing with my driver.

> > wl49t8v1fxc1.jpeg

> > Long awaited return to golf this morning, only used my irons and hybrid. After two holes started to hit them well and had about a 50/50 good shot bad shot count. Tried the driver on one hole And gave it a miss after that, short irons from 100 in were all falling a little short, had a few problems trying to get the correct weight. All in all it went much better than expected. DW was my driver, kept me in check. Decided to try and get in one a week from now on and will rejoin the club at the end of the financial year. Should be walking again very shortly but can only do that when I am on my own. Did not keep score but apart from the first hole played average double bogey.

>

> Nice to see you back out there Tol..........and looking dapper if I may say.

> Let's see, June for you is like December for us; and you're wearing shorts

> and the weather looks great! That is awesome.

This is typical Queensland winter weather, overnight it was around 45, when we were on the course it was 65 and it can go as high as 75. The only problem is in late August when we have the westerly winds and these come straight off the ice caps, still warm out of the wind though. Me and shorts are a constant, do not like long pants they are uncomfortable, as long as it’s only my knees get cold no problems.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @tolmij said:

> wl49t8v1fxc1.jpeg

> Long awaited return to golf this morning, only used my irons and hybrid. After two holes started to hit them well and had about a 50/50 good shot bad shot count. Tried the driver on one hole And gave it a miss after that, short irons from 100 in were all falling a little short, had a few problems trying to get the correct weight. All in all it went much better than expected. DW was my driver, kept me in check. Decided to try and get in one a week from now on and will rejoin the club at the end of the financial year. Should be walking again very shortly but can only do that when I am on my own. Did not keep score but apart from the first hole played average double bogey.

Looking good tol, and back in golf action is also a good thing. First time out is always a challenge but you've got it in the books now. DW gets credit for keeping you in line. I'm thinking she does this off the course too... Glad you're playing again!

• Like 2

> @tolmij said:

> wl49t8v1fxc1.jpeg

At a boy! Looking like you're ready to slay the course!

There was a brief discussion about the possibility of getting a game in out here, but it's looking like work and weather are going to conspire. Probably just as well as the travel and unfamiliar bed have my back barking once again.

And in other news, Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga are now each single. How convenient!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @tolmij said:

> > This is me posing with my driver.

> > wl49t8v1fxc1.jpeg

> > Long awaited return to golf this morning, only used my irons and hybrid. After two holes started to hit them well and had about a 50/50 good shot bad shot count. Tried the driver on one hole And gave it a miss after that, short irons from 100 in were all falling a little short, had a few problems trying to get the correct weight. All in all it went much better than expected. DW was my driver, kept me in check. Decided to try and get in one a week from now on and will rejoin the club at the end of the financial year. Should be walking again very shortly but can only do that when I am on my own. Did not keep score but apart from the first hole played average double bogey.

>

> Looking good tol, and back in golf action is also a good thing. First time out is always a challenge but you've got it in the books now. DW gets credit for keeping you in line. I'm thinking she does this off the course too... Glad you're playing again!

Lots of work to do to catch up with your recent performance.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @tolmij said:

> > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > @tolmij said:

> > > This is me posing with my driver.

> > > wl49t8v1fxc1.jpeg

> > > Long awaited return to golf this morning, only used my irons and hybrid. After two holes started to hit them well and had about a 50/50 good shot bad shot count. Tried the driver on one hole And gave it a miss after that, short irons from 100 in were all falling a little short, had a few problems trying to get the correct weight. All in all it went much better than expected. DW was my driver, kept me in check. Decided to try and get in one a week from now on and will rejoin the club at the end of the financial year. Should be walking again very shortly but can only do that when I am on my own. Did not keep score but apart from the first hole played average double bogey.

> >

> > Nice to see you back out there Tol..........and looking dapper if I may say.

> > Let's see, June for you is like December for us; and you're wearing shorts

> > and the weather looks great! That is awesome.

>

> This is typical Queensland winter weather, overnight it was around 45, when we were on the course it was 65 and it can go as high as 75. The only problem is in late August when we have the westerly winds and these come straight off the ice caps, still warm out of the wind though. Me and shorts are a constant, do not like long pants they are uncomfortable, as long as it’s only my knees get cold no problems.

I live in shorts year round too. Long pants just feel so..............well, you know...but

if I'm gonna play golf in December I usually have to wear long pants since I can't

run in the house and warm up when I get cold.......gotta dress for some prolonged

exposure to the cold.

• Like 1

Interesting comparing our various views on temperatures. DW and I walked to the coffee shop for breakfast this morning and it was around 15°C or about 60°F. I had my shorts on and a t-shirt with a fleece pullover on top of that. I was comfy walking, but wouldn't want to ride like that.

Put jeans, a shirt and jacket on when we headed out later to drive up to the lake country.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Conrad1953 said:

> > @tolmij said:

> > > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > > @tolmij said:

> > > > This is me posing with my driver.

> > > > wl49t8v1fxc1.jpeg

> > > > Long awaited return to golf this morning, only used my irons and hybrid. After two holes started to hit them well and had about a 50/50 good shot bad shot count. Tried the driver on one hole And gave it a miss after that, short irons from 100 in were all falling a little short, had a few problems trying to get the correct weight. All in all it went much better than expected. DW was my driver, kept me in check. Decided to try and get in one a week from now on and will rejoin the club at the end of the financial year. Should be walking again very shortly but can only do that when I am on my own. Did not keep score but apart from the first hole played average double bogey.

> > >

> > > Nice to see you back out there Tol..........and looking dapper if I may say.

> > > Let's see, June for you is like December for us; and you're wearing shorts

> > > and the weather looks great! That is awesome.

> >

> > This is typical Queensland winter weather, overnight it was around 45, when we were on the course it was 65 and it can go as high as 75. The only problem is in late August when we have the westerly winds and these come straight off the ice caps, still warm out of the wind though. Me and shorts are a constant, do not like long pants they are uncomfortable, as long as it’s only my knees get cold no problems.

>

> I live in shorts year round too. Long pants just feel so..............well, you know...but

> if I'm gonna play golf in December I usually have to wear long pants since I can't

> run in the house and warm up when I get cold.......gotta dress for some prolonged

> exposure to the cold.

>

Was out shopping last winter and I commented how cold it was to a till operator, you would warm up if you put on more clothes she said. It was 50 and I was wearing shorts and a light tee shirt, don’t really think I out it as when we arrive back home it’s to a nice cosy warm house with a very large wood burning fire.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @scomac2002 said:

> Interesting comparing our various views on temperatures. DW and I walked to the coffee shop for breakfast this morning and it was around 15°C or about 60°F. I had my shorts on and a t-shirt with a fleece pullover on top of that. I was comfy walking, but wouldn't want to ride like that.

>

> Put jeans, a shirt and jacket on when we headed out later to drive up to the lake country.

When you have lived for 39 years in English winters where the temp was below freezing most of the day, Queensland winters are a breeze. We were scraping ice from the inside of the windows and that was with full central heating and a coal fire. The only time I wear long pants now is if we are going out for a show at an upmarket venue, then it’s normally my formal dress suit.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @tolmij said:

> > @scomac2002 said:

> > Interesting comparing our various views on temperatures. DW and I walked to the coffee shop for breakfast this morning and it was around 15°C or about 60°F. I had my shorts on and a t-shirt with a fleece pullover on top of that. I was comfy walking, but wouldn't want to ride like that.

> >

> > Put jeans, a shirt and jacket on when we headed out later to drive up to the lake country.

>

>

> When you have lived for 39 years in English winters where the temp was below freezing most of the day, Queensland winters are a breeze. We were scraping ice from the inside of the windows and that was with full central heating and a coal fire.

Sounds like single paned windows...

• Like 2

> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @tolmij said:

> > > @scomac2002 said:

> > > Interesting comparing our various views on temperatures. DW and I walked to the coffee shop for breakfast this morning and it was around 15°C or about 60°F. I had my shorts on and a t-shirt with a fleece pullover on top of that. I was comfy walking, but wouldn't want to ride like that.

> > >

> > > Put jeans, a shirt and jacket on when we headed out later to drive up to the lake country.

> >

> >

> > When you have lived for 39 years in English winters where the temp was below freezing most of the day, Queensland winters are a breeze. We were scraping ice from the inside of the windows and that was with full central heating and a coal fire.

>

> Sounds like single paned windows...

>

>

Correct, double glazing was not normal at that time and it was extremely expensive, so you just suck it up and suffer. Snowflake generation was not born then.☃️❄️

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @tolmij said:

> > @SixtySomePing said:

> > > @tolmij said:

> > > > @scomac2002 said:

> > > > Interesting comparing our various views on temperatures. DW and I walked to the coffee shop for breakfast this morning and it was around 15°C or about 60°F. I had my shorts on and a t-shirt with a fleece pullover on top of that. I was comfy walking, but wouldn't want to ride like that.

> > > >

> > > > Put jeans, a shirt and jacket on when we headed out later to drive up to the lake country.

> > >

> > >

> > > When you have lived for 39 years in English winters where the temp was below freezing most of the day, Queensland winters are a breeze. We were scraping ice from the inside of the windows and that was with full central heating and a coal fire.

> >

> > Sounds like single paned windows...

> >

> >

>

> Correct, double glazing was not normal at that time and it was extremely expensive, so you just suck it up and suffer. Snowflake generation was not born then.☃️❄️

I remember those days, how many lived in houses that sometimes when it rained real hard you would put pots or pans on the floor to catch dripping water from the ceiling?

• Like 2

> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @tolmij said:

> > > @SixtySomePing said:

> > > > @tolmij said:

> > > > > @scomac2002 said:

> > > > > Interesting comparing our various views on temperatures. DW and I walked to the coffee shop for breakfast this morning and it was around 15°C or about 60°F. I had my shorts on and a t-shirt with a fleece pullover on top of that. I was comfy walking, but wouldn't want to ride like that.

> > > > >

> > > > > Put jeans, a shirt and jacket on when we headed out later to drive up to the lake country.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > When you have lived for 39 years in English winters where the temp was below freezing most of the day, Queensland winters are a breeze. We were scraping ice from the inside of the windows and that was with full central heating and a coal fire.

> > >

> > > Sounds like single paned windows...

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Correct, double glazing was not normal at that time and it was extremely expensive, so you just suck it up and suffer. Snowflake generation was not born then.☃️❄️

>

> I remember those days, how many lived in houses that sometimes when it rained real hard you would put pots or pans on the floor to catch dripping water from the ceiling?

Brings back memories but from only 4 years ago. We had a fireplace fitted and the fitter did not seal the outlet through the roof correctly, result was water dripping into the dining area. Had to poke a hole in the ceiling to release it. He did come back and fix it, still have not repainted the ceiling, not a high priority.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Hey friends.

Still going through the tunnel with mom. She managed to break the other hip one day home from skilled nursing. I was there with her in her home when it happened. Guess I'm a lousy caregiver.

Not sure how much more gas either of us has left in the tank. Came back today to rest as she begins another round of post-op skilled nursing - which will no doubt be cut short again thanks to the satanic insurance folks. Will head back her way in a week or so. She clearly can't go back to her home going forward and I can't take care of her.

There are two upsides. Her dementia is so whacked lately she won't remember all this.

We all go thru crap. We're golfers. Willing to endure it knowing we'll live to fight another day. That's the other upside.

Maybe before heading back to mom's for round 2, I'll get the chance to catch up and chat it up. Sure have missed my buds here.

Be good to yourselves and each other.

• Like 2

> @Reasonability said:

> Hey friends.

>

> Still going through the tunnel with mom. She managed to break the other hip one day home from skilled nursing. I was there with her in her home when it happened. Guess I'm a lousy caregiver.

>

> Not sure how much more gas either of us has left in the tank. Came back today to rest as she begins another round of post-op skilled nursing - which will no doubt be cut short again thanks to the satanic insurance folks. Will head back her way in a week or so. She clearly can't go back to her home going forward and I can't take care of her.

>

> There are two upsides. Her dementia is so whacked lately she won't remember all this.

>

> We all go thru crap. We're golfers. Willing to endure it knowing we'll live to fight another day. That's the other upside.

>

> Maybe before heading back to mom's for round 2, I'll get the chance to catch up and chat it up. Sure have missed my buds here.

>

> Be good to yourselves and each other.

>

>

>

>

>

>

wow Reasy, seems as if you can’t win one at present. Looking after your mom is obviously your number 1 priority so do it well and for as long as it takes. It’s difficult when it all goes pear shaped and there is nothing you can do, similar happened with MIL. We miss your contribution, it has been a little quiet in here recently, see you back when it’s convenient. Thoughts and prayers from you friends in Oz.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

We miss you too Reasy. You're not a lousy caregiver.

A family caregiver gets put on the spot involuntarily and should never feel guilty or unprepared for the goodness they are doing.:

There is no homogenous or single type of family caregiver.

There is no "common family caregiver solution."

One size does not fit all.

Family caregiving is complex, confusing, complicated and counter-intuitive.

We do not have a caregiving gene in our DNA and it is far from intuitive. Few go to school to learn how to be family caregivers. Therefore if it is isn’t genetic, intuitive or learned, it should come as no surprise that family caregivers “don’t know what they don’t know!” It's the same as if you had been handed a set of golf clubs having never played and been told 'go shoot par starting today'.

I remember when my wife got breast cancer 25 years ago, and our world turned upside down. I started taking her to chemo sessions, and she would get sick etc. But the first time we went I had to fill out some paperwork, and the nurse said to me "Are you her caregiver?" She might have just as well asked "do you have the next space shuttle ready to launch today?". As I took her home and she was all rolled up in a ball before the grand throw up session began, I truly was the helpless caregiver, a lousy one I thought, but she said I was there for her, and it meant everything. You are doing more for her than you will ever know Reasy, believe me, you are a hero right now!

• Like 2

Good to hear from you Reasy. You're fighting the good fight in a battle that seems unwinnable. I know that you'll do right by your mom no matter what.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

We're winding down here on the wet coast. I say wet because we're getting that variable mountain weather.

I feel as though I've tasted enough wine to last me for the rest of the year at least! Tonight will be the third day in a row of big eating and more wine than is healthy. I'm going to need a recovery period! So much for a birthday month, a week is more than I can handle! I'm actually looking forward to getting back to my regular routine.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)