Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Wriggles,

Fine shooting. I don't find there's much magic to any of this. A good swing and a solid short game is going to produce quality scores with dialed in equipment (regardless of age/design). Going real low consistently may be an entirely different story. Confidence in what you are carrying is something that is difficult to measure. If you have doubt when looking down at a club it's probably best to remove that doubt (though practice or a new club).

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Welp, I've posted on General Golf Talk for the last time.... I've decided I just don't understand what general golf talk means. I thought it meant, general golf talk. But every time I start a subject that seems like general golf talk, it gets put into instruction and academy or somewhere else, ha like I'm anyone who could instruct or aca-dem-ize anyone. So today I thought, Ok, I'll start a simple subject about people talking to their golf balls, pros, announcers and us, you know, general golf talk... to golf balls...so where does it end up? it gets moved to Equipment-Golf Balls... really? It was supposed to be a tongue in cheek general golf talk fun conversation, not an equipment discussion, sheesh... nope, not general, not that one either, no... :nea:

Hey just stay over here and start something on any subject you desire-- You will get some kind of response some intellegent some not but you will not get flamed

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Rad,

I've never used the specific grips you've asked about, but have extensive experience with NDMC's and non-tapered grips. You already like the NDMC's so I won't comment on them, but will tell you that I love the shape of non-tapered grips. I don't grip the club as tightly (especially given my child sized hands) and the grips take my right hand out of the swing a bit.

Even when I'm not using non-tapered grips by design I build up the bottom hand with 4 - 6 wraps to simulate the feel.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Threads you’re glad you didn’t start:

IS RORY FINISHED?

What has happened to Rory? All that talent and now he can’t even play. Too much muscle building? Too many distractions with women? Working on his swing? Changing his putting stroke? Preoccupied with what equipment he will use after NIKE? I fear he is done.

Oh wait. Never mind.

Is this posted in the right forum?

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

IS RORY FINISHED?

What has happened to Rory? All that talent and now he can’t even play. Too much muscle building? Too many distractions with women? Working on his swing? Changing his putting stroke? Preoccupied with what equipment he will use after NIKE? I fear he is done.

Oh wait. Never mind.

No one believed me over in the "know it all" sections of WRX--- I told them Rory's putting went to crap when he switched from a Cameron to Nike. Uh Huuh the Cameron went back in the bag and he went back to a conventional putting grip because he had a good putter in his hands he could FEEL what he was doing with--- He also had the older Red VR blades in the bag which I suspect were forged by either Miura or Endo.

Rad,

I've never used the specific grips you've asked about, but have extensive experience with NDMC's and non-tapered grips. You already like the NDMC's so I won't comment on them, but will tell you that I love the shape of non-tapered grips. I don't grip the club as tightly (especially given my child sized hands) and the grips take my right hand out of the swing a bit.

Even when I'm not using non-tapered grips by design I build up the bottom hand with 4 - 6 wraps to simulate the feel.

What is funny is that I have huge hands I wear a XXXL glove but I use standard grips. I can explain it simply I hold the club in my fingers. The reason I do not use a non tapered grip is because I do the trigger finger thing with my right pointer finger like the real old schoolers do notably Raymond Floyd. I also tape my right pointer finger below the knuckle like he does. My Old Man knew him well and in my youth I was around him some and I copied a lot of what he did especially in the short game department.

When my old man started me off as a little kid he had me do the interlock grip. I ended up getting big hands and feet at an early age. At age 13 I already wore a Men's large glove. My old man had small hands he wore a cadet small glove. A good friend of the old man was an Pro by the name of James Black who was one heck of a player and played the tour some. My old man did not let anyone instruct me but James did convince him to let me change. So James worked with me some and changed my grip and had me holding it in my fingers. I picked up the trigger finger thing on my own. On some short shots I do not trigger finger it. James still teaches some and has some videos on U-Tube. I was running some of his videos on night back when I had swing problems. I had them from the computer to the big screen TV. My wife can be observant sometimes--- She remarked "That man holds the club exactly like you do" I told her no--- I hold it like HE does that is the man who taught me my grip

Rad,

What is funny is that I have huge hands I wear a XXXL glove but I use standard grips. I can explain it simply I hold the club in my fingers. The reason I do not use a non tapered grip is because I do the trigger finger thing with my right pointer finger like the real old schoolers do notably Raymond Floyd. I also tape my right pointer finger below the knuckle like he does. My Old Man knew him well and in my youth I was around him some and I copied a lot of what he did especially in the short game department.

When my old man started me off as a little kid he had me do the interlock grip. I ended up getting big hands and feet at an early age. At age 13 I already wore a Men's large glove. My old man had small hands he wore a cadet small glove. A good friend of the old man was an Pro by the name of James Black who was one heck of a player and played the tour some. My old man did not let anyone instruct me but James did convince him to let me change. So James worked with me some and changed my grip and had me holding it in my fingers. I picked up the trigger finger thing on my own. On some short shots I do not trigger finger it. James still teaches some and has some videos on U-Tube. I was running some of his videos on night back when I had swing problems. I had them from the computer to the big screen TV. My wife can be observant sometimes--- She remarked "That man holds the club exactly like you do" I told her no--- I hold it like HE does that is the man who taught me my grip

It's this kind of stuff, my friend, that make you a gem to have here in this thread. Love your stories and knowledge of the game. One of these days I'm gonna make it to the east coast to meet you and Mr. Reason in person.

Thanks Mike I just try to contribute in my own way--- I like doing that and I like reading stuff from other people--- In the general populance of WRX except here and the classics section I am too Old School---- Would love to see you come out here someday

Thanks Mike I just try to contribute in my own way--- I like doing that and I like reading stuff from other people--- In the general populance of WRX except here and the classics section I am too Old School---- Would love to see you come out here someday

Myself and the honorable President of the OGA would consider it an honor and a pleasure.

Myself and the honorable President of the OGA would consider it an honor and a pleasure.

Thank you, gentlemen. The honor and pleasure would be all mine.

Maybe we should do a Carolina GrillTogether! I'd do it if I'm home for it.

In other news most states now have converted to the lighted signs that

sit over the freeway and where they can change the messages like how

long it is currently taking to get to X or Y and such.

Or sometimes they'll get humorous and put up warnings like;

Watch your speed we are.........................or

Drive hammered get nailed......................or

Dumb drivers and smart phones don't mix......or

Pick ups rock they also roll

While these are serious issues I do enjoy when I see something new

on the signs like................

Shut up and drive or Buckle up or die

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

IS RORY FINISHED?

Oh wait. Never mind.

Love it!

Threads you're glad you never started needs to live on and is one of our coolest recurring themes.

• Matt Kuchar - a little too old to compete?
  • Jim Furyk - a little too old to compete?
  • Lydia Ko - a little too young to compete?

IS RORY FINISHED?

Oh wait. Never mind.

Love it!

Threads you're glad you never started needs to live on and is one of our coolest recurring themes.

• Matt Kuchar - a little too old to compete?
  • Jim Furyk - a little too old to compete?
  • Lydia Ko - a little too young to compete?

Henrik Stenson will never win a major. Always chokes them away.

SLED Gemini

Don't know who to feel sorrier for with this one...

298261100_1345d94752_o-565x737.jpg

Thank you, gentlemen. The honor and pleasure would be all mine.

Maybe you should all just hire a Jumbo and come to Australia, you could then help me give our greenkeeper a hard time for his pin placements.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

LOL. Maybe you have a reputation that precedes you. As in....."There's a post from 'that guy' again. Let's move it somewhere so he can't find it. Maybe he'll go away". Or they're just spoof'n with you. There must be some random condition of logic for they're randomness.

IDK. Maybe?

Problem is Fella, some people do not have a sense of humour, especially golfers. It really is different talking in the Grille, everyone loves their golf but can still laugh at themselves.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

We do not have those yet that I know of in SC--- It would be a waste of money because--- Most folks here can't read or act like they cant---- or they have their head so far up you know where they could not see it ---- or this does not pertain to us because we are from out of state here on vacation

Welp, I've posted on General Golf Talk for the last time.... I've decided I just don't understand what general golf talk means. I thought it meant, general golf talk. But every time I start a subject that seems like general golf talk, it gets put into instruction and academy or somewhere else, ha like I'm anyone who could instruct or aca-dem-ize anyone. So today I thought, Ok, I'll start a simple subject about people talking to their golf balls, pros, announcers and us, you know, general golf talk... to golf balls...so where does it end up? it gets moved to Equipment-Golf Balls... really? It was supposed to be a tongue in cheek general golf talk fun conversation, not an equipment discussion, sheesh... nope, not general, not that one either, no... :nea:

Hey just stay over here and start something on any subject you desire-- You will get some kind of response some intellegent some not but you will not get flamed

Exactly, I had Gus make them a special pie from me in sorrow for posting over there on that General Golf Talk Forum, but they didn't want that either...

Wriggles,

Fine shooting. I don't find there's much magic to any of this. A good swing and a solid short game is going to produce quality scores with dialed in equipment (regardless of age/design). Going real low consistently may be an entirely different story. Confidence in what you are carrying is something that is difficult to measure. If you have doubt when looking down at a club it's probably best to remove that doubt (though practice or a new club).

Thank guys for the compliments on my Saturday round. I do feel more comfortable playing the older stuff. 460cc drivers just don't look right to me. My putter on Sunday was a Callaway Tuttle clone. Three and four putts were the norm. Labor Day and today, I played an experimental 3W, and went back to my old Bullseye putter. I probably mentioned the 3W before, so forgive the repeat. A couple years back, I ordered an R11 3W from RBG. In the two years I owned it, I just could not hit it properly. I exclusively hit it off center towards the toe of the club, making it veer left. (I'm lefty.) Not a slice, but almost a straight left. You could see on the scratches of the black face, where I was hitting it off center. I got to the point I was about to chuck the club into a pond, then just put it in the garage.

This year, I decided to experiment a bit. I lengthened the club to driver length, regripped it, and placed it on it's lowest loft setting, 14 degrees. Played it a few times since then, and ball flight is remarkably straight, not necessarily longer, or maybe a few yards longer than a regular 3W. Anyhow, I played it yesterday and this morning. The club looked comfortable to me at address, and I hit it mostly straight. As far as distances go, over 200 yards minimum, up to 240 on a downhill hole. For me, those distances are driver distances. My own homemade mini driver or brassie. Probably averaged about 220, about 10 -20 yards farther than my FT-iz 3W, and more than the Ben Hogan laminate driver I played on Saturday.

I extended an old Haig laminate driver years ago, and performance can be stellar at times. I've hit that over 250 in summer dry conditions. I have to say these gorilla distance I've achieved this year is due to the drought conditions, but it does feel good.

One of the greens workers complimented one of my shots today. I told him I play better alone than with others. He told me he plays like whoever he plays with. Good if the guys play good, bad if the guys play bad. Really weird.

As far as consistency, I can play very well, or very badly. I never know which Dave showed up until the end of the game.

Cheers guys!

Exactly, I had Gus make them a special pie from me in sorrow for posting over there on that General Golf Talk Forum, but they didn't want that either...

Yum.

I'll sometimes have that after a main course of crow. :)

Yum.

That reminds me, I got a pretty good laugh in a staff meeting the other day when I was giving someone directions to our place on the speakerphone, just saying what I kinda figured out what should be the modern version of 'as the crow flies', I told the guy 'as the drone flies'... y'all can use that one free of charge :)

Yum.

That reminds me, I got a pretty good laugh in a staff meeting the other day when I was giving someone directions to our place on the speakerphone, just saying what I kinda figured out what should be the modern version of 'as the crow flies', I told the guy 'as the drone flies'... y'all can use that one free of charge :)

Very good. I WILL use it, lol. You know......as the drone flies kinda has a nice

sound to it. I think you're onto something. You may become a historical figure. :)

SLED Gemini

Apologies for being away for a while... it was an interesting weekend around here. I am going to have to turn in my "Man Card" as I actually sold my little Audi A3 (2006 hatch, 2.0 turbo, 200 HP, 210 lb-ft torque) and bought ... a Prius.

... on the plus side, I can move up to the ladies tees and play in the LPGA now. So, there's that as a nice plus. ;)

Hope all is well and hopefully someone is playing more than I am right now. Only got to play once last week and most courses are in "maintenance" now so I might play some high end courses at "low end" pricing.

Apologies for being away for a while... it was an interesting weekend around here. I am going to have to turn in my "Man Card" as I actually sold my little Audi A3 (2006 hatch, 2.0 turbo, 200 HP, 210 lb-ft torque) and bought ... a Prius.

... on the plus side, I can move up to the ladies tees and play in the LPGA now. So, there's that as a nice plus. ;)

Hope all is well and hopefully someone is playing more than I am right now. Only got to play once last week and most courses are in "maintenance" now so I might play some high end courses at "low end" pricing.

Hey, you're in SoCal, maybe you and Caitlyn can play. Lol. Red tees and automatic two putts. Perfect.

Just have a minute here amid a whirlwind week. Hoping our pal Rad is not caught up in the Arizona/New Mexico weather situation. Wishing Gus and the whole gang good cheer. Will chat it up with you fellers when time is my friend. I recall a couple of years ago when cresting an interstate mountain climb seeing two semi rigs flipped over on their sides. The winds were roaring that night. Must have caught the broad sides of the trailers and had it's way with them. Good vibes your way out there Radro and be safe wherever you are.

Parting questions: What sadistic nut bag first came up with the whole notion of "par"? - which btw we can assume must be short for partial lobotomy.

The term "scratch". Dare we ever shake hands with those guys?

Shouldn't a half-swing be called an "ing" ?

Just have a minute here amid a whirlwind week. Hoping our pal Rad is not caught up in the Arizona/New Mexico weather situation. Wishing Gus and the whole gang good cheer. Will chat it up with you fellers when time is my friend. I recall a couple of years ago when cresting an interstate mountain climb seeing two semi rigs flipped over on their sides. The winds were roaring that night. Must have caught the broad sides of the trailers and had it's way with them. Good vibes your way out there Radro and be safe wherever you are.

Parting questions: What sadistic nut bag first came up with the whole notion of "par"? - which btw we can assume must be short for partial lobotomy.

Blame the Brits.....after all, didn't they come up with Love = zero? :)

SLED Gemini

Yeah, I've seen scratch golfers...usually they think no one is looking... and I would think a putter should be called a closer... and maybe a driver should've been called a slicer or a hooker-no wait, that one's already taken.. and a bogey is probably derived from a flickable version of a booger..

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)