Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

WE live in what may best be described as a hamlet even though we are technically part of the city. everyone is on septic and has a well or buys water depending. Our well has sulpher so we use city water that's trucked in about once every 3 months. We also collect rainwater off the roofs.

Our soil type is variable , but mostly heavier clay loam. Over the years the acceptable septic system has changed from trenched in fields to raised beds, back to trenched in fields and now engineered. My next door neighbour's house was built in the late 1960's and it has a raised bed. The waste water used to spew out around the perimeter which was eventually rectified with a clay berm to hold it in. The only problem with that was that it turned the raised bed into quick-sand during the spring so he could never cut the grass until June.

Experiences like that lead the local council to return to trenched in fields which we have that was installed in the mid 1980's. It works perfectly despite the fact that the soil engineers now claim our soil is too heavy for adequate percolation. I think they must measure rates during a 1 in 100 year storm to get their figures because we've never had a moment's trouble with ours. So now, in the powers that be infinite wisdom they have gone to these engineered systems that cost upwards of $40K to install. The worst part is that they stick out like a sore thumb often looking like a pingo in the middle of some poor schmuck's yard.

I've had more run ins with local gov't officials over environmental regulations than anything else. You'll never convince these mandarins that 95% effectiveness at a third of the cost and widely adopted is far better than mandating perfection at huge cost with little in the way of uptake. You used to see it all the time in agriculture. Of course now there is no choice and that's why no one wants to farm anymore. But hey, we're from the gov't and we're here to help! :rolleyes:

Our council seems to be taken over by left wing greenies if you look at the septic regulations, makes no sense as everything used to work really well, now it’s twice the price to install and expensive to maintain.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Speaking of perfume, I've always felt all ladies deserve a bottle of French perfume, at least once in their lives. Even my Mom had been given a bottle by my Dad. Dad bought French perfume for Mom and Aunt Mildred when he was stationed in Paris, during WW2.

I bought the missus a bottle of Chanel #5 some years ago, over $100. It was in a nice presentation box, and it's been sitting there for many years. I don't think she ever used it. She said it wasn't her style, not appropriate for work, etc. Oh well.

When we first met, I bought her a bottle of Gloria Vanderbilt. She still has it, along with a multitude of stuff that Aunt Mildred had.

I've never used cologne, the aftershave scent wears off in a few minutes, so no embarrassing all day smell.

Like the commercial for some pain cream, with the old lady embracing the young one, "Don't smell like Walter."

I can relate to Tol's description of old times. Although the house I grew up had indoor plumbing, the once a week bathing was in order. The house water heater was an old type, no flue or safety valves. It had to be watched, in order that it didn't overheat or blow up. An all day affair for family bathing. Grandad was first. Someone would have to watch the water heater, and so forth. I recall Grandad shaving with his straight razor.

Of course, normal morning ablutions would include the basin of stove heated water. The missus says I'm the last person on earth to still use the word "ablution" meaning bathing. Must have gotten the word from a Sherlock Holmes story or other novel.

Conrad. That didn't take long. Congrats on the sale of the i20's. Good money as well, more than I thought based on priors. Guess I'll go ahead and prepare a listing, try and get mine peddled off.

I might hang on to the i3's for awhile. Tried them briefly at the dome a week back, but they didn't do much for me (stiff shafts, to short, black dot flat). However, my bro is coming into town this summer and doesn't want to travel/ship his clubs. He plays Pings, told him I can set him up with some players while he's here in July. Doesn't want any part of my various classic blades though.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Conrad. That didn't take long. Congrats on the sale of the i20's. Good money as well, more than I thought based on priors. Guess I'll go ahead and prepare a listing, try and get mine peddled off.

I might hang on to the i3's for awhile. Tried them briefly at the dome a week back, but they didn't do much for me (stiff shafts, to short, black dot flat). However, my bro is coming into town this summer and doesn't want to travel/ship his clubs. He plays Pings, told him I can set him up with some players while he's here in July. Doesn't want any part of my various classic blades though.

Thanks! Buyer was in Indiana. Maybe a WXRer hoing cubs in the winter, lol.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Thanks! Buyer was in Indiana. Maybe a WXRer hoing cubs in the winter, lol.

Very well done! I guess it was just what the buyer was looking for. :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I've always wondered about the city workers who dig a hole in the street. You have the city truck with flashing yellow light blocking a lane. A guy directing traffic around said setup. A guy with a shovel. A newbie halfway in the hole with a pickax beating the tar out of everything in the hole, then the guy with the most seniority, who's official title is 'The Guy Who Stands Around'. He gets to have a radio on his shoulder, and he calls other Guys Who Get to Stand Around, around town who are overseeing similar jobs, digging holes and such. The purpose for the hole? No purpose, heck, why would there be a purpose, who's going to get out and ask them what they are doing, it's always rush hour, and their yellow light is flashing anyway. The next day when you drive past, the hole has been filled in and paved, sort of, a patch, already sunk lower than the existing surface. By winter it's a pothole. Someday you read in the obituaries 'Hank loved fishing, checkers, having a beer or two, and was one of the city's 'Guys Who Stood Around'. The newbie with the pickax that you saw moves up a notch in seniority, waiting for his day when he gets the yellow vest and radio.

And here is me thinking this is an Australian thing.

Nope, it's planetary. They have a school for all of these city worker types. It's in South Dakota, just a mile or so northeast of downtown Blunt. There's a brown shack, you just get dropped off by a bus, but once you're in the shack, an elevator takes you down a couple of floors to a huge training center. Training sessions are 8 hours long, 7 1/2 hours of it are breaks, and the half hour teaches you stuff you will need to know for how to work for cities. You actually don't need to go at all if you don't want, you can just call off, you'll get your cert. anyway...

Ping Eye 2's. Gamed them for 25-30 years. Still own them even though they're "resting". No plans to part with them.

I suffer from a malady that often leaves me feeling a little alone in the universe. Think of it as the associative property. If A = B, and B = C then eventually A = Z.

If I played well with a club for a couple of rounds, then forevermore I believe it's a matter of the Indian ahead of it being an issue with the arrow.

That said, there's normally a few times each year I want to learn more about shafts and tinker at least a bit with club length, putter weight, yadda. Wedges never cease to catch my fancy and I love giving new/different ones both new and old a try. (Clevelands remain my personal front-runner).

So in the end I'm caught between two worlds. Voice on one shoulder wants to learn and experience new things... branch-out so to speak. Voice on the other shoulder says to just put a good, relaxed, confident motion on that gamer and let THAT be your best platform to learn and grow from.

Such is Reason's tale of two worlds. LMAO. One of the best things that can happen is to have a good round or two with the gamers, which oddly becomes one of the worst things in terms of learning more about potentially new and better equipment.

Such a goofy game we play.

Ping Eye 2's. Gamed them for 25-30 years. Still own them even though they're "resting". No plans to part with them.

I suffer from a malady that often leaves me feeling a little alone in the universe. Think of it as the associative property. If A = B, and B = C then eventually A = Z.

If I played well with a club for a couple of rounds, then forevermore I believe it's a matter of the Indian ahead of it being an issue with the arrow.

That said, there's normally a few times each year I want to learn more about shafts and tinker at least a bit with club length, putter weight, yadda. Wedges never cease to catch my fancy and I love giving new/different ones both new and old a try. (Clevelands remain my personal front-runner).

So in the end I'm caught between two worlds. Voice on one shoulder wants to learn and experience new things... branch-out so to speak. Voice on the other shoulder says to just put a good, relaxed, confident motion on that gamer and let THAT be your best platform to learn and grow from.

Such is Reason's tale of two worlds. LMAO. One of the best things that can happen is to have a good round or two with the gamers, which oddly becomes one of the worst things in terms of learning more about potentially new and better equipment.

That is the dilemma many of us face and have faced..........having clubs that work well for us

but wondering if there may be something better, all through the bag.

New clubs always being released, more precision in fitting clubs, the temptations will always

be there to try new or different clubs.

I'm not going to offer up some grand conclusion on the matter one way or the other. It is what

it is and will remain so going forward.

We play a goofy game indeed. :)

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

That is the dilemma many of us face and have faced..........having clubs that work well for us

New clubs always being released, more precision in fitting clubs, the temptations will always

I'm not going to offer up some grand conclusion on the matter one way or the other. It is what

Maybe I'm not so alone after all! (Although I have to believe not too many would game the same putter for 25 years - lol). That stupid thing will make a lot of putts when I get out of its way and let it happen. Or so I have myself convinced.

Part of the inherent dilemma here is simple. Was taught from the start to build the game around grip and setup first. To study ball flights and divot shapes. To manage tension and a flowing rhythm, yadda. Nowhere in those early roots was there a focus on the sticks. As you point out, today's younger golfer is flooded with ideas about the form and fit of his rifle just as much if not more than how to properly fire the weapon. Somewhere in between the two extremes there are golfers who optimize both.

Hey, so long as the journey brings happiness - it's all good, right? Game the variety. Fix the swing. All of the above or none of it. If we live to fight another day then it's all good!

Absolutely ZERO offense intended to anyone who swears by one single brand or style of clubs. To he who is more than satisfied with whatever he/she prefers - more power to them. No offense aimed at those who experiment more than me. I'm all ears and enjoy hearing about it. It's just harder for me personally to swear an oath that this or that will ALWAYS be better for EVERYONE. Can't even swear for sure what exactly is "ideal" for myself. And btw - No one here is insisting as much. Just commenting that for moi, club experimenting is a road less traveled but I'm fascinated to hear from those who go at that trial/error thing with more passion. You guys have turned me from being close-minded, to at least willing to try a few things along the way.

So keep it coming!!

I think there's a lot to be said for old reliables. It's the familiarity that warms the cockles of one's heart. I haven't played this game long enough to have a long list of old reliables, but i'd have to say that I've gotten on better with decade 2000's vintage than the more current crop of stars. Mind you, I haven't played enough with this decade's weapons to really know, but that may come to pass in future years. Right now, it just doesn't matter, being happier to plod away with something that I have a bit of confidence in even if it isn't the best of choices for the new realities. I'm sure some well meaning stranger will be happy to point that out to me along the road ahead.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Got an email yesterday from Golftown, the local big box retail chain and they were talking about fittings. I'm a Leaderboard member so I get these mailings all the time, but rarely do a read any as they're all about separating you from your money.

At any rate, the gist was that there is so much technology built into modern irons that you must be fit to the proper type for your game. 5 or 10 years ago irons were classified by player type and marketed as such, now that's not the case and you should be fitted by ballflight. I'm not sure that's a new theory, but whatever. The implication is that without a fitting you'll never get the correct iron type. Ummm, hello? What about hitting a few irons at a demo and going with the one you hit the best? That always seemed to work in the past. Apparently not because one must have data... They go on to describe a number of different types of irons and which golfers they are best suited for. Gee that sounds strangely familiar, doesn't it, like the old game improvement, SGI and players' clubs classifications.

To sum it up it was just another way to say the same damn thing that they've been saying for as long as I've been casually involved in the game, including the "huge" technological advances that you must avail yourself of if you want to keep up. And oh, BTW, you'll need a side order of fitting to go along with your irons which included a little plug for wedge fitting by stopping the iron sets at the 9 instead of the PW.

There's a thread over on the Equipment section talking about the ridiculous pricing of new clubs and how it's now all about more dollars per sale rather than more sales volume. The above is a pretty good working example of that where you buy irons piece by piece based on how many hybrids you play and then add in an extra wedge or two where 4 is now the standard versus the 2 that once was.

There has been many a good player that put together a set club by club--- A good example was here on WRX a few years back on Tom Lehman and the mismatched bag he put together. A lot of the old time guys like Bobby Jones and players of his era put together sets one club at a time. I used to be really bad about that used to drive my old man nuts. At one time I played a R-90 SW, Spalding 10 iron a 61 Spalding 9 iron and Spalding Elite 8 thru 5 irons the 4 iron and 1 iron were Karsten I Pings. Lately I have toned it down some with only 5 or 6 different brands in my bag depending on what irons I play

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I am seriously looking at possibly getting a set of F8 one lengths...i am just about totally sold on the method,and i will try a set of them out first.

They are supposedly a fix for the trajectory issues...my long irons are ok..my short irons are a little high..as in they bring rain!

I have never been one to go chasing the perfect clubs..a couple of you guys are giving me the ideas ! The one thing that I have been

considering is ,with the time i have left,I am really wanting to use a set of forged ,good irons. I really want to try this. Had a beautiful set

of Mizzies that were just beyond me..lol . i may end up with Cobra F8 Black Forged One Lengths...hey...my Gramps always said "If its

worth doing,its worth doing right" ! I may have officially become a club ho....now if I can be like Stu,and hit the damn ball with them !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

It is definitely a Goofy game...

Maybe I'm not so alone after all! (Although I have to believe not too many would game the same putter for 25 years - lol). That stupid thing will make a lot of putts when I get out of its way and let it happen. Or so I have myself convinced.

Part of the inherent dilemma here is simple. Was taught from the start to build the game around grip and setup first. To study ball flights and divot shapes. To manage tension and a flowing rhythm, yadda. Nowhere in those early roots was there a focus on the sticks. As you point out, today's younger golfer is flooded with ideas about the form and fit of his rifle just as much if not more than how to properly fire the weapon. Somewhere in between the two extremes there are golfers who optimize both.

Hey, so long as the journey brings happiness - it's all good, right? Game the variety. Fix the swing. All of the above or none of it. If we live to fight another day then it's all good!

Absolutely ZERO offense intended to anyone who swears by one single brand or style of clubs. To he who is more than satisfied with whatever he/she prefers - more power to them. No offense aimed at those who experiment more than me. I'm all ears and enjoy hearing about it. It's just harder for me personally to swear an oath that this or that will ALWAYS be better for EVERYONE. Can't even swear for sure what exactly is "ideal" for myself. And btw - No one here is insisting as much. Just commenting that for moi, club experimenting is a road less traveled but I'm fascinated to hear from those who go at that trial/error thing with more passion. You guys have turned me from being close-minded, to at least willing to try a few things along the way.

So keep it coming!!

Still a believer that 80% (an estimate ) of the game is about having a serviceable, semi-consistent swing. For with that, one could play almost any implement effectively. The name of the game remains hitting the ball straight, avoiding trouble, finding your ball and repeating. If a set of "old reliables" provide consistency, reasonable distance, familiarity with distances as it relates to club selection, and you have confidence with them, what's the point in changing? I'm intentionally leaving out any reference to putters. That's a "swing" and club quite unlike any of the others. And is its own set of of idiosyncrasies. Play what works for you, what you have confidence with. It still remains a game of accuracy. For it covers a lot of mistakes.

WTS, I enjoy the process of experimentation. Trying out different implements, testing, configuring with shafts, and see if I might hit them a little 'mo better than what was in the bag prior. What works for me, may not for you. As you said, there are absolutely no ABSOLUTES. Each of us has our own unique set of preferences, abilities, and yes, even biases towards the tools we use. It does help to establish some parameters if one is going to begin trying different clubs and configurations. What are you attempting to accomplish by experimenting? What segment of clubs do you think could be improved upon by so doing? I find that shafts have become the most examined component, particularly as I've gotten older. Shaft weight, and by extension, overall club weight. I do not like heavy feeling clubs anymore. Heavy has become ponderous. FWIW, I do the trail and error thing out of necessity. I will not be paying significant sums of $$ to have someone else tell me what they think I should be doing club-wise. These so called fitters have ulterior motives. Sell me new and absurdly expensive clubs, that are not inherently "better". A big maybe on that last point. Nor do I have anyone that is knowledgeable about such matters to bounce ideas off of (besides a select few here on WRX). So fly it by the seat of my pants trying to make the best evaluations possible. Hit some balls, watch the flight, how does the implement feel in hand. Make an educated "leap of faith" that a change will be a positive one for my golf game.

Never have given it much thought. But depending on the setup on any given day, will have 4 - 6 different brands in the modern bag. Other than the irons (which I prefer having all the same), they've been assembled one piece at a time. The only entrenched constant remains the V-Steel fairways. Hit them reliably straight, don't mess with a sure thing.

Got an email yesterday from Golftown, the local big box retail chain and they were talking about fittings. I'm a Leaderboard member so I get these mailings all the time, but rarely do a read any as they're all about separating you from your money.

At any rate, the gist was that there is so much technology built into modern irons that you must be fit to the proper type for your game. 5 or 10 years ago irons were classified by player type and marketed as such, now that's not the case and you should be fitted by ballflight. I'm not sure that's a new theory, but whatever. The implication is that without a fitting you'll never get the correct iron type. Ummm, hello? What about hitting a few irons at a demo and going with the one you hit the best? That always seemed to work in the past. Apparently not because one must have data... They go on to describe a number of different types of irons and which golfers they are best suited for. Gee that sounds strangely familiar, doesn't it, like the old game improvement, SGI and players' clubs classifications.

To sum it up it was just another way to say the same damn thing that they've been saying for as long as I've been casually involved in the game, including the "huge" technological advances that you must avail yourself of if you want to keep up. And oh, BTW, you'll need a side order of fitting to go along with your irons which included a little plug for wedge fitting by stopping the iron sets at the 9 instead of the PW.

There's a thread over on the Equipment section talking about the ridiculous pricing of new clubs and how it's now all about more dollars per sale rather than more sales volume. The above is a pretty good working example of that where you buy irons piece by piece based on how many hybrids you play and then add in an extra wedge or two where 4 is now the standard versus the 2 that once was.

There has been many a good player that put together a set club by club--- A good example was here on WRX a few years back on Tom Lehman and the mismatched bag he put together. A lot of the old time guys like Bobby Jones and players of his era put together sets one club at a time. I used to be really bad about that used to drive my old man nuts. At one time I played a R-90 SW, Spalding 10 iron a 61 Spalding 9 iron and Spalding Elite 8 thru 5 irons the 4 iron and 1 iron were Karsten I Pings. Lately I have toned it down some with only 5 or 6 different brands in my bag depending on what irons I play

We had a golf club rep at my local club last year, he set up a practice net and a launch monitor then everyone that tried were recommended to buy the same brand of clubs, he said he was not a rep of any particular club brand but sold what he considered to be the best club for each golfer on an individual testing. He could not see why we were suspicious of him, just doing his job for a local store said he, did not bother changing which clubs were recommended. Don’t think many golfers either believed him or purchased clubs as a result of his visit.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Referring to golf clubs, I've found I play pretty much the same with any clubs I have. Some of my best games have been played with an adjustable iron (illegal club) and a 3W. Once, last year, par for the 9 hole course I belong.

Since I bought those $200 X2 Hot irons in 2017, very good clubs, I really have no desire to buy any more. I have a modest collection of clubs, probably around 100, don't really want to add more. I play the same, for the most part. If I played hickories exclusively, my scores would not suffer.

Some days I play well, some days not well. Equipment has nothing to do with the equation.

It's the Indian, not the arrow.

It's c-c-c-c-c-cold this morning! Only about 4°F as I type. I've been watching a couple of tiny Juncos flit about the pine trees next to the patio. I went to my Audubon guide to identify them as they are typical in this area at this time of year. They may well be permanent residents that get lost with the masses of sparrows, but they stood out this morning as not much activity is ongoing.

This unseasonably mild winter while welcome by us humans one wonders what it's doing to the animal population. I saw a tranche of Eastern Bluebirds last week during one of my walks back towards the conservation area and the squirrels have been particularly active, counting three grays and two blacks leaping from branch to branch the other day.

This weekend we're supposed to have a big time winter storm, but they're still uncertain as to how much snow as it will be dependent upon the track. With the temperatures that are being forecast -- lows of -26°C/-15°F -- it's hard to imagine getting a lot of snow unless the wind comes right off the lake which remains open. The storm track isn't favouring that particular scenario. The less we get likely means that Sixty will be getting it worse south of the Lakes. Fingers crossed that we all get off lightly. :scenic:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Yeah, quite frosty here this morning as well. Was 12* as I was making coffee, looking at the thermo outside the kitchen window. It's funny though, temps in the teens, with no wind, doesn't seem as cold as what we were having a week or so ago. Temps in the mid-30's, rain, and a gusty wind blowing. That was bone-chilling. Froze my niblicks off as I was filling up the gas tank. But not like I'm spending a whole lot of time outdoors in the elements.

Agree that it's a rare occurrence to have significant snowfall AND sub-zero temperatures. Really cold is usually accompanied by high pressure. Generally NW jet streams drawing the cold down from the Arctic. But you're closer to the lake that I am. So the lake effect impact would likely be greater depending on which direction the winds are blowing (out of the east). .

We're suppose to have a snow event on Saturday. But the weather service has not been able to pin down the forecast on the amount. Two days ago, it was 3" - 5". Yesterday, up to 5" - 8". This a.m, down to 1" -3". Certainly hope it's the later. We have scheduled plans for Saturday that entails a 50 mile round trip drive. Another showing up in the long range forecast for next Tuesday. Oh well, we've been on borrowed time this winter with the absence of any measurable snowfall.

With each day passed is one closer to Spring.

Yup, the worst lake effect is with a NE wind which is what we're supposed to get over the weekend. Current forecast is for 4"-6", but that could double in a heartbeat if conditions align. We were down the peninsula yesterday and came home in near whiteout conditions for a stretch. Fools were still blazing along the QEW at 60+ mph! The further west we went the flurries all but disappeared. By the time we were on top of the escarpment there was nothing more than a dusting. Such is the nature of snow in this part of the world.

A number of years ago I drove for a local market gardener doing snow removal. We had the contract for a portion of the Power Center that was anchored by a grocery superstore. It was a fairly big job that would take two of us 8 hours to complete, longer if it kept snowing. One year we got 30" over 36 hours. It was one of those 1:25 year storms. I went through something like that in the late 70's when I was going to college. The temperature was -30° most of the time! We shut down for 8 hours to get a rest and even with block heaters we were having trouble getting equipment started and warmed up enough to use. It was retarded the number of people that were out and about in conditions like that and all they did was get in the way, but the store wouldn't shut down. Trucks started to arrive at around 7:00 am with stock and we couldn't even get them in to unload as we were scrambling to even keep access roads open. There were three of us at the time plus trucks and a few smaller pieces of gear and we couldn't make much of a dent. The crew at the MacDonald's had been on for 24 hours as relief never made it in. The worst thing was a woman complaining about the state of the roads. I asked her point blank what the heck was so important that she had to be out in a storm like this? The fact she had gotten as far as she did was a testament to the work that clean-up crews were doing!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Yeah, quite frosty here this morning as well. Was 12* as I was making coffee, looking at the thermo outside the kitchen window. It's funny though, temps in the teens, with no wind, doesn't seem as cold as what we were having a week or so ago. Temps in the mid-30's, rain, and a gusty wind blowing. That was bone-chilling. Froze my niblicks off as I was filling up the gas tank. But not like I'm spending a whole lot of time outdoors in the elements.

Agree that it's a rare occurrence to have significant snowfall AND sub-zero temperatures. Really cold is usually accompanied by high pressure. Generally NW jet streams drawing the cold down from the Arctic. But you're closer to the lake that I am. So the lake effect impact would likely be greater depending on which direction the winds are blowing (out of the east). .

We're suppose to have a snow event on Saturday. But the weather service has not been able to pin down the forecast on the amount. Two days ago, it was 3" - 5". Yesterday, up to 5" - 8". This a.m, down to 1" -3". Certainly hope it's the later. We have scheduled plans for Saturday that entails a 50 mile round trip drive. Another showing up in the long range forecast for next Tuesday. Oh well, we've been on borrowed time this winter with the absence of any measurable snowfall.

With each day passed is one closer to Spring.

Old Man Winter definitely settling in now here, too. Be careful on your road trip.

Around these-here parts, it's the copious ice storm that does the real damage. That and heavily waterlogged ground from so much rain for the last two months, means all trees could drop at a torrid rate. But I love how you closed it, Fella. Spring will soon have sprung. Every day is a smidge longer. Good times on the way.

I agree the game is executed first and foremost by the Indian ahead of the Arrow. We've all played rounds with excellent, as in tremendously talented golfers. I'd swear on a stack they could execute with a bag full of broom handles.

My instructor has been to the fitting schools including companies like Wilson and TM. But he sees it this way.... if your swing is reliable enough, you'll strike it solidly at least 6 out of 10 times and your misses will be quite serviceable (usually). Good fitting equipment (and he agrees the shaft is a huge part of that equation), bumps that percentage of solid shots up to 8 or 9 out of 10. So all that says it is indeed the Indian. His one qulalifier ... Keep a semi-watchful eye on lie/loft as well as fresh grips on any sticks we play. He's given untold lessons to folks who show up with worn grips on sticks that have never been checked for lie and loft. Half of them ask about getting new clubs. He says no amount of swing work can overcome those simple issues, which when made right ceaselessly give these golfers new found confidence in their existing gamers.

I confess it's past due here. Grips are good here but lie and loft checks are way overdue.

Yup, the worst lake effect is with a NE wind which is what we're supposed to get over the weekend. Current forecast is for 4"-6", but that could double in a heartbeat if conditions align. We were down the peninsula yesterday and came home in near whiteout conditions for a stretch. Fools were still blazing along the QEW at 60+ mph! The further west we went the flurries all but disappeared. By the time we were on top of the escarpment there was nothing more than a dusting. Such is the nature of snow in this part of the world.

A number of years ago I drove for a local market gardener doing snow removal. We had the contract for a portion of the Power Center that was anchored by a grocery superstore. It was a fairly big job that would take two of us 8 hours to complete, longer if it kept snowing. One year we got 30" over 36 hours. It was one of those 1:25 year storms. I went through something like that in the late 70's when I was going to college. The temperature was -30° most of the time! We shut down for 8 hours to get a rest and even with block heaters we were having trouble getting equipment started and warmed up enough to use. It was retarded the number of people that were out and about in conditions like that and all they did was get in the way, but the store wouldn't shut down. Trucks started to arrive at around 7:00 am with stock and we couldn't even get them in to unload as we were scrambling to even keep access roads open. There were three of us at the time plus trucks and a few smaller pieces of gear and we couldn't make much of a dent. The crew at the MacDonald's had been on for 24 hours as relief never made it in. The worst thing was a woman complaining about the state of the roads. I asked her point blank what the heck was so important that she had to be out in a storm like this? The fact she had gotten as far as she did was a testament to the work that clean-up crews were doing!

There's not enough highway engineer in me to know this, but I see the white squiggly lines on roads and overpasses (I assume brine solution) anytime winter storms are predicted. The part that eludes me is how the initial melting snow and rainfall (before it converts to snow) isn't just washing all that away. Clueless. Maybe they're damned if they do and damned if they don't? But those who get out there in heavy equipment - amid horrific weather and fight the good fight have my respect. No doubt the potholes are born amid it all but again - damned if you do or don't.

Our weather forecast has been the target of all jokes here this week. Anywhere from 1" to 12" of snow on Saturday, starting from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM and going until 8:00 PM or into 1:00 PM on Sunday, along with little or no wind, gusting up to 20 to 25 mph starting on Saturday morning. This should be on a line from the I70 corridor south, and from the I75 corridor east to southeast, or from a line north of the I70 corridor starting west of the I75 corridor. It may start out as rain, and turn into freezing rain, and end up as flurries, or accumulate up to 6", with another 3" by evening, with another 1- 3" by morning for a total of 6" by Saturday night. That's for central and east central Ohio. If you don't know what a corridor is, then you have to pick out another noun, like passageway, but you still have to go back to the end of the line and start again, keeping in mind they may have changed corridors on you so make sure to keep your i-phone with you just in case... you may need to get in another line anyway, because instead of needing milk and bread, you may need to go buy a side of beef, or simply some ju-ju fruits, depending on how severe the weather StormStrike 4 or whatever your local weather hype storm adversity team says is in the works...

You and your instructor bring up some valid points. Checking lie angles. Of which I'm neglectful, mostly because I'm lazy and do not like spending the coin to have them checked/Adjusted. But it's one of those things that with observation, one can determine if they're in the ballpark. Watch ball flights. Are they in general flying straight. Look at divots. Is the depth consistent across the divot? Or are they deeper on the toe or heel side. That may indicate a club being to upright of flat depending. The one fault I have is to get to over the top with my swing. Coming across to ball with a resulting divot angled to the left. A swing flaw, rather than a equipment issue. But swing issues aside, typically play irons more upright than standard. Some impact tape on the face will tell the tale as well. But one can get a sense of things by watching the aforementioned guides. If I'm hitting the ball reasonably straight, I'll leave well enough alone.

Second, is the matter of shafts. Especially as it relates to the more seasoned golfer. Important to find the preferred weight that allows one to easily swing the club, while still maintaining directional control. I've been discovering that I find even ~ 100 gram steel shafts, and the resultant overall club weight, to feel heavy in the later stages of a round. Once some degree of swing fatigue has set in. That has led me in a quest to find out how low can I go in weight and still maintain some measure of accuracy. Ive discovered that I like swinging irons with graphite shafts in the low 70 gram area. The club feels easy to swing without feeling unduly light. Especially at my current (and declining) SS. Considering that I'm playing at club lengths 1" longer than "standard". Keeps the SW manageable.

Recall reading a post by Howard Jones and believe it was specific to fitting the older golfer for irons and shafts. Once one has determined a suitable head design, whatever that may be. His criteria in order for shaft selection was: Weight, Feel, Profile and lastly Flex. I often wonder when reading about the Irons for a Senior Golfer threads where one is objecting to loss of distance, become difficult to swing with stiff shafts. What is actually occurring is the overall weight of the club has become ponderous for maintaining a consistent swing. It's funny how the ball still go far when you hit it center face. Then again it's not about distance in the absolute with iron in hand. It's the consistency of the distance that is paramount. If I have a 140 yard shot into the green, I've got a club for that. Regardless of the number on the bottom. As long as I hit it straight to the target.

Don't know if any of this would be substantiated by getting on a launch monitor, with a plethora of equipment to test, in the hands of an experienced fitter. May come up with something entirely different once all the data has been analyzed. But that's not my thing. What fun is that? I'm not good enough to get that technical. Cuz, "You ain't got a thing unless you got a swing."

Sixty. Ha, Ha. You're a hoot. The forecast currently has just a 60% probability of anything occurring in our corridor. So playing the odds before I commit to dashing off to the market for "Death Storm 2019" supplies. (Always take inventory of the TP stock, in case we are unable to get out for days. The one true essential item to have on hand.) Furthermore, there's something survivalist about heading out into the raging storm. In a man against nature sort of way. Makes one feel "alive", all senses on full alert, tempting fate. Surviving the 20 minutes it takes to make the trek to the store and back.

An early morning post for you cold people. Australia today is in the midst of a heat wave we will be between 90-120 for the next week. Already has a week of it.

Enjoy the snow :)

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

A early morning post for you cold people. Australia today is in the midst of a heat wave we will be between 90-120 for the next week. Already has a week of it.

xxygfeytxygsxxxxoiwlijxhx

You tell 'em Bill. "I Second That Emotion".

A early morning post for you cold people. Australia today is in the midst of a heat wave we will be between 90-120 for the next week. Already has a week of it.

xxygfeytxygsxxxxoiwlijxhx

You tell 'em Bill. "I Second That Emotion".

[media=]

[/media]

I third it, so I have been working on a remedy. People in the US get storm silly, #1, they go out and buy all the milk and bread they will need the rest of their lives to cover them for the 2 days that the storm could possibly put them out of kilter, knocking women and children out of line to get their personal needs met.

Then comes the heat situation. You realize you either don't or won't have when the electric will of course go out: a) a generator b) a kerosene heater c) firewood d) blown in (or blowed in depending on where you're from) insulation in your house e) there is no e f) a gas oven g) a propane space heater h) an undertaker for f and g

So I decided on the answer would be a couple of these fans, and if you point these in our general direction, and blow the heat, I think they'll do the job:

https://www.bigassfa...irectional-fans

Let me know what y'all think, if we get the largest model, it should do the trick...

Tol needs to send us his warm air. We meanwhile need fans pointed at Canada to give back what they're giving - lol.

Like Bill, we live in some "corridor", too. I'm amazed at how often our interstate are the line of demarcation. West of this road and north of that one must be horrible places to live - lol. Cuz here to the south and east of these same interstates it's never all that bad.

Must be a huge fan along the roads.

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)