Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

pl

plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop

Leaking tap.

plumber please! :fishing1:

Lewiston Idaho/Clarkston Washington is the farthest inland seaport West of the Mississippi. Barges travel up the Columbia and Snake Rivers carrying grain, wood products, chemicals and fuel. There are also several river cruise companies that come up the river. They then take day trips by jet boat up into Hells Canyon for site seeing and fishing.

The locks are open to private boating and I have taken my old 20 ft. SeaRay through the lock several times. The first time a Boy Scout troop was also locking down river in canoes along with a small chase boat with the Scout leaders. The drop is 100 ft. The engineering of these locks and dams is amazing.

Sadly there are many working to have the Snake River dams breached to “ save the Salmon”. The cost would be many times the cost of the construction and devastate the economy of our towns not to mention the loss of the clean hydro power electricity. The Steelhead and Salmon fishing business is thriving with the usual ups and downs in how the runs occur year to year.

Was there any major political impact when they removed the dam, surely many would not have been happy.

So far all of the dams are still in place and operating. In 1992 they did a trial drawdown of the water behind Lower Granite Dam which was a disaster. Some of the roadways collapsed and it was a smelly muddy mess and killed a lot of fish. They refilled the reservoir and it is back to normal now but there are always people and judges working for their removal.

Scotee. Found your reporting of the dam controversy interesting. Headed off to find additional reading on the subject. Read through this Seattle Times article on the topic to provide an overview of what has been taking place. Plus, some of the comments posted. Setting aside any political agenda biases one may have towards the ST. Apparently the "Save the Salmon" crowd has become aligned with the "Save the Whales (Orcas)" crowd. In controversies like this, solutions are always not that simple. Decisions one way or another have consequences. The easy solution is to breach the dams. Without full knowledge of so doing would create a significant increase in the populations.

Apparently, theres a tempest pot of conflicting agendas at play. Environmental, ecological, Native American, economic, legal, political. The BPA continuing to advocate for maintaining the current hydro-electric infrastructure, but producing electricity at a rate higher than what can be purchased on the wholesale market. My take is agriculture along the Snake would be the sector most impacted by dam removal. Loss of irrigation capabilities and transportation of grain to port.

There was a comment by a Idahoan that spelled out some of the greater issues affecting salmon smolts ability to return to the PO. Namely, predation by birds (cormorants), sea lions, etc. I'm aware of a cormorant over-population essentially wiping out a fishery here in Michigan, until the population was brought under control and significantly reduced. Plus, a comment was made about pollution in Puget Sound wreaking havoc with the eco-system. (Recognizing the Columbia is further south.) Insufficient number of smolts returning to the sea, for a variety of reasons, that may not be solely attributable to the Snakes's dam structures in place.

Fish ladders, at least here Michigan, have been installed on most of the main salmon and steelhead migration rivers Plus active fish hatchery supplementing the stock. Still, with all the management tools, the Great Lakes salmon population is still cyclical. Chinook weight and size has been in decline on Lake Michigan, the fishery has all but disappearing in Lake Huron. For reasons the biologists cannot pin down with exactitude. The brood stock came from Washington state btw, 50+ years ago.

In entirety, a much larger controversy than your initial postings on the matter seemed to indicate. My take from afar.

Yeah sorry if I opened up a can of worms. It is a complex issue. I moved up here from Calif. shortly after the last dam was finished. At the time I understand that there was local opposition to the dams but after they were finished and the Army Corps of Engineers put in the camp grounds and bike/walking trails etc. the changes were largely accepted. I might have been against the dams if I had lived here then. There was another dam planned above Asotin Wa. 5 or 10 miles upstream from Clarkston. That would have backed up the wild and scenic Hells Canyon and been a big mistake.

We now have the benefits of both with the navigation to Lewiston and the free flowing rapids and natural sand beaches of the river just to the South. We also have the free flowing Clear Water River to the East that joins the Snake at the confluence between Lewiston Id. and Clarkston Wa.

I have friends on both sides of the controversy and see both sides but living in a small agricultural town I have to side with leaving them in place. We could argue that all this progress is bad but where do you draw the line. We can’t and shouldn’t go back to how it was 200 years ago.

Not a can of worms particularly in the Grille, I find these discussions interesting, looking at the reasons for people’s stance.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

pl

plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop plop

Leaking tap.

plumber please! :fishing1:

Why am I not surprised you found an appropriate reply. :)

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Our dry spell has finally broken 10 weeks without rain and temperatures in the high 90s, not lots of rain but enough to cool it down. This is southern Queensland.

Northern Queensland on the other hand has and is having rain that has broken all records, they have had seven ft of rain in 4 weeks, more than they would have in a normal year and being the tropics it rains very heavy in the summer. Whole towns and cities are under water, to make it worse large dams have been fully opened to avoid damage to them. It is supposed to ease off over the next week, looters have been in the empty houses, I support the American system with looters and I am not normally a violent person but shooting is what they deserve. Two men looting a liqueur store fell over in flood water with their haul and dissapeared into a storm water drain, two more gone for ever. I cannot think how the mind works that takes advantage of other people’s distress.

Cleaned up a little in the garden today as the ground is now soft enough for weeding, get into it again tomorrow, tidy up is my new catch word for February, been too idle in the garden for too long.

Sleep tight Grillers.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

In agreement with Tol. Absolutely no apologies necessary Scotee. As mentioned, found the subject you raised interesting. Having viewed pics you've posted before, searched images of your home town, the Snake and Hells Canyon. The epitome of big sky, wild and scenic places that can only be found in the West. Thinking to myself, it would be fun to cast a line into their waters while enjoying the scenery.

Land and water issues in the West are always Big Medicine.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Ventured out to Walmart yesterday. Bought the usual OTC medicines, Zantac, Citrucel, etc. Felt good getting out, sunny 62 degrees, most of the snow is gone. Drug store portion of Walmart was a zoo. An old guy that looked like a guy I golfed with (deceased) talked to me how the drugs are much cheaper in Walmart than regular drug stores. He went on and on. I agreed with him.

Supposed to stay warm the next few days. Maybe, a trip to the golf course.

Ventured out to Walmart yesterday. Bought the usual OTC medicines, Zantac, Citrucel, etc. Felt good getting out, sunny 62 degrees, most of the snow is gone. Drug store portion of Walmart was a zoo. An old guy that looked like a guy I golfed with (deceased) talked to me how the drugs are much cheaper in Walmart than regular drug stores. He went on and on. I agreed with him.

Supposed to stay warm the next few days. Maybe, a trip to the golf course.

Is Zantac an OTC no prescription medication, it’s strictly regulated in Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Zantac (ranitidine) is an OTC brand name med for reducing stomach acid. Don't know why it would be strictly regulated in Oz. We just get the generic Kirkland brand from Costco and save some coin. Same amount of active ingredient, all that matters.

Zantac is OTC in the USA. Treats acid reflux, which I've had since 1986. The generic stuff Walmart sells is 150mg, 220 tablets for $12. The name brand cost is stratospheric.

I've been taking 2 a day for decades. Have never seen any side effects to date.

Why would it be strictly regulated? Don't see it being narcotic. Most of the stomach stuff is now OTC. Prilosec, Tagamet, Pepcid, Nexium, etc. Prilosec, which I take VERY sparingly, can cause kidney or liver failure.

I recall in 1986, when I had a bleeding ulcer, going to fill a prescription for Tagamet. 90 tablets were over $100. I was lucky I had that much on me. I literally walked out of the pharmacy with a few cents in my pocket, in shock. Since then, I've been taking some form of acid reflux medicine on a regular basis. This stuff hasn't killed me yet.

Been using Excedrin since I was in the US Army in 1972. Seems to me, aspirin products should be regulated. Back around 2012, Excedrin was recalled. Somehow, some trace narcotic substance was found to be present. Maybe, that's why people claim the new version doesn't work as well.

Take care, Tol.

DW takes it for acid reflux but it can only be obtained with a prescription, being on an age pension we purchase it for $6.30 for a months supply. The health system in Australia is very good, because of my wife’s AF she is still on several medications, they add the total every time you purchase them and when it reaches a prescribed amount every other medication is free for the rest of the year, we paid nothing after September last year, back on to paying again now untill we reach this years total. The full amount is printed on the packet when you collect them, one medication is nearly $100/ month but we still only pay $6.30.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I recall being prescribed Zantac when I was in my thirties for an ulcer. I took it for three months and that seemed to clear the situation up. That was in the early 90's I think. Since those days when we had markedly different drug regulations than in the US things have become more closely aligned. I think the gov't realized that folks would just cross the border to get prescription only meds that were available OTC in the US. I recall that my wife's work had a standing order amongst her co-workers that if anyone went to the US to bring back Excedrin migraine as that was the only med that would work on it and it wasn't available up here at the time.

In Canada, prescriptions aren't covered by the univeral healthcare plan until you reach age 65. Prior to that you pay your own way or use a private benefit plan if you have one. We purchase almost all of our OTC medications at Wal-Mart because of cost savings. Our prescriptions are covered by our private insurance and we get them from the pharmacy in the medical arts building where our GP is located.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Just got back from a walk around the block with Penny. Excedrin has always been my headache medicine of choice. I get quite a few headaches, usually consume a 24 count every month or two. Bad for the stomach, I know. I take 2 or 3 tums with it. It does thin the blood, though.

During the recall back in 2012, original Excedrin was selling for big bucks on Ebay. I just bought the Walmart Equate equivalent, seemed to be just as good. Went back to original when it reappeared.

Original Excedrin is the same as the migraine, same formula, just labelled differently.

One word of caution: Keep note of expiration dates, years ago, I bought a current bottle, but it had an unusual vinegar type odor. Didn't really think much about it. In a few minutes, I became extremely dizzy, and almost passed out. Threw the bottle out, and have been sniffing bottles since.

Applies to regular aspirin, too.

I have an old friend (71) who's been an alcoholic all his life. Absolutely never gets a headache, is in perfect health. One day, at his place, I asked him if he had anything for a headache. He hands me a bottle of Excedrin that looks like it's been around since David Janssen advertised the stuff in 1972, ancient glass bottle package I wasn't going to take that stuff, had the vinegar smell, and the pills were disintegrated. I'll bet the bottle is still in his medicine cabinet thirty years later.

The ground is just saturated.

Penny is sound asleep as I type.

I have an old friend (71) who's been an alcoholic all his life. Absolutely never gets a headache, is in perfect health.

Even when you're dealt all the cards you can still misplay the hand... That sort of thing usually catches up with you eventually. :nono:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Just got back from a walk around the block with Penny. Excedrin has always been my headache medicine of choice. I get quite a few headaches, usually consume a 24 count every month or two. Bad for the stomach, I know. I take 2 or 3 tums with it. It does thin the blood, though.

During the recall back in 2012, original Excedrin was selling for big bucks on Ebay. I just bought the Walmart Equate equivalent, seemed to be just as good. Went back to original when it reappeared.

Original Excedrin is the same as the migraine, same formula, just labelled differently.

One word of caution: Keep note of expiration dates, years ago, I bought a current bottle, but it had an unusual vinegar type odor. Didn't really think much about it. In a few minutes, I became extremely dizzy, and almost passed out. Threw the bottle out, and have been sniffing bottles since.

Applies to regular aspirin, too.

I have an old friend (71) who's been an alcoholic all his life. Absolutely never gets a headache, is in perfect health. One day, at his place, I asked him if he had anything for a headache. He hands me a bottle of Excedrin that looks like it's been around since David Janssen advertised the stuff in 1972, ancient glass bottle package I wasn't going to take that stuff, had the vinegar smell, and the pills were disintegrated. I'll bet the bottle is still in his medicine cabinet thirty years later.

The ground is just saturated.

Penny is sound asleep as I type.

That's funny, maybe not. I found a couple of weeks ago in an obscure container in a cabinet one of those little white sticks you rub (or rubbed on your face when you cut yourself shaving, and it would stop any bleeding. I remember buying it when we were first married 45 years ago, and that was the last time I used it. Only thing it would stop now from the looks of it is your heart...

In agreement with Tol. Absolutely no apologies necessary Scotee. As mentioned, found the subject you raised interesting. Having viewed pics you've posted before, searched images of your home town, the Snake and Hells Canyon. The epitome of big sky, wild and scenic places that can only be found in the West. Thinking to myself, it would be fun to cast a line into their waters while enjoying the scenery.

Land and water issues in the West are always Big Medicine.

Thanks Fella. I would be glad to host any of you tor a visit. Golf, boat, fish, ATV. We are blessed to have such great recreation.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Don't know if you can see the snow at the top of the hills to the North. This was Monday afternoon and not a bad day for Feb. Much colder today and dropping. May be no more golf for a week or two. Think spring :)

We don't have heat housers on our golf carts. They close the course for the season! :lol:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Don't know if you can see the snow at the top of the hills to the North. This was Monday afternoon and not a bad day for Feb. Much colder today and dropping. May be no more golf for a week or two. Think spring :)

We don't have heat housers on our golf carts. They close the course for the season! :lol:

Kinda like an ice fishing shack. Warm and cozy with propane. Get out hit your shot and right back in. A real season stretcher :)

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

They've been riding motorcycles on the ice this year on Buckeye Lake which is right here where I live. Just stick the studded tires on and go. Looks like fun, I used to do a lot of dirt riding, so I would love to give this a try, of course I was a few years younger back then... :dntknw:

[media=]

[/media]

What? No wipeouts? Looks like fun :)

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Gee, isn't it about time for another winter storm?

Today's version is ice. Freezing rain to be specific; about 10-15 mm before it's all over as it will be an all day affair. Good day to stay home unfortunately we can't as we have a yet to be cancelled event at our church and I also have an MRI scheduled tonight at a hospital about an hour's drive away! At least the highways should be reasonable. It's not as if they don't know what's coming. Side streets and parking lots will be another story...

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Drove to the course yesterday around 1:00 pm. Drank a coffee with the manager, she said 16 guys played on Monday. Guys were supposedly coming out around 4:00. Walked nine with only my adjustable iron. The course was muddy, wet, and very sloppy. I played the first two holes from the tees, hitting the adjustable iron maximum 130 yards carry, balls plugging.

Walked the last seven, teeing off around 120 yards from the hole. Much more enjoyable, had a couple pars playing as par 3. Surprisingly, my feet stayed dry with the Etonics that I sprayed with clear Rustoleum, to seal them last fall. (Stu, yes I do have a little redneck in me, and proud of it.)

Felt good getting out, but my back bothered me a bit when I got home.

Advil time.

It's headed your direction. Mostly sleet here, about .5", not seeing much ice buildup in the trees. Very little traffic down the road. The dirt road that begins ~1/4 mile further down must be really bad and iced up. Sitting here listening, haven't heard a car go down the road in five minutes. And it's going to work hour. We're right in the middle of the corridor.

The map shows the worst of it maybe nearing an end, the participation patterns are breaking up. Rather than the big "blob" of purple (indicating ice) earlier. Changing over to rain later in the day.

Just open the garage to check my van sitting outside. Worse than I thought. A heavy layer of ice buildup. Will require running it with the heat on for a half hour to begin the melt. The ice scrapper will not be up to the task. More like a ice fishing spud would be needed.

This winter stuff is beginning to grind on my usually sunny demeanor. More than ready for lazy summer afternoons at the lake.

It's headed your direction. Mostly sleet here, about .5", not seeing much ice buildup in the trees. Very little traffic down the road. The dirt road that begins ~1/4 mile further down must be really bad and iced up. Sitting here listening, haven't heard a car go down the road in five minutes. And it's going to work hour. We're right in the middle of the corridor.

The map shows the worst of it maybe nearing an end, the participation patterns are breaking up. Rather than the big "blob" of purple (indicating ice) earlier. Changing over to rain later in the day.

Just open the garage to check my van sitting outside. Worse than I thought. A heavy layer of ice buildup. Will require running it with the heat on for a half hour to begin the melt. The ice scrapper will not be up to the task. More like a ice fishing spud would be needed.

This winter stuff is beginning to grind on my usually sunny demeanor. More than ready for lazy summer afternoons at the lake.

Looks really inviting, saves place for me.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

After three days of very spring-like weather, not just the feel of it, but the smell of it too, this is grinding on me also. I went out about an hour ago to pretreat the steps and walkway.

Not much accumulation yet, barely anything really. The wind is coming hard off the lake from the east so I'm not sure what that means. Perhaps we end up getting some nasty combination of rain/ice and snow instead of freezing rain.

Just saw a car go down the road very slowly. It does look pretty icy out there from the reflection of the headlights. :(

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

After three days of very spring-like weather, not just the feel of it, but the smell of it too, this is grinding on me also. I went out about an hour ago to pretreat the steps and walkway.

Not much accumulation yet, barely anything really. The wind is coming hard off the lake from the east so I'm not sure what that means. Perhaps we end up getting some nasty combination of rain/ice and snow instead of freezing rain.

Just saw a car go down the road very slowly. It does look pretty icy out there from the reflection of the headlights. :(

Pleased we live where there is NEVER any ice, the lowest temp we usually have is around 40/45*, that’s why we live where we live.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)