2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Had some days of old person syndrome, backup and running going over the posts and will reply to them tonight. Painting is taking up plenty of time at present two particularly fussy paintings under way, both of them around 75% finished.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

[Added] Just placed my order for a Super Stroke Countercore 2.0 grip (on sale), shaft extension and adhesive from Golfworks. Winter project underway!

I have the big Super Stroke grip on my putter sco, I really like it. It helps me with my light approach soft grip style. I 'spose I have one most people wouldn't like, the 5.0 Fatso, but I practiced with it for over an hour before I went with it at GolfWorks, and darned if it didn't just repeat better for me than any other grip. I mean the Super Stroke in general, the size of any grip is anybody's call of course, that size just worked for me. Anyway, I don't feel that I have to grip tight on anything, just lightly hold onto it, I feel like with the SS, I hold it identically each time. With a smaller grip I feel like I'd be clamping down so to speak, using muscles and nerves I don't want to use when I putt. I'm a picky putter. Heck, I'd use a 2X4 if I could, with a putter head on the end, only because the wrist/finger muscles and nerves would be freed up and loose/calm. very important to me when I putt.

https://www.golfwork...-grip/p/st0022/

I've had a couple of putters fitted with Super Stroke grips in the past. One had a mid slim 2.0 on it that was similar to the one I just ordered. I'll admit that I'm really not sure how this will play out as I didn't really see any advantage in the thick grips when I used them previously. If anything, I felt as though my feel or touch for distance wasn't as good. WE'll see, but the putter I'm going to build is using the head off of a cut down belly putter so the head weight should be sufficient for counterbalancing. I was quite taken with the putter I was trying out today from a comfort perspective and balance perspective. I believe that Bill had mentioned something similar in that he had a 37" putter that had changed golf for him and his back, so this is something I'm more than happy to put a few bucks into and see how it plays out, after all, you can't learn much from a demonstration beyond a first impression. The real test will come with use over an extended time out on the golf course.

Assuming you're referring to the #7 Tank? They do seem to be well balanced with the extra head weight. For the longest time whenever I stopped at the LGS and fooled around with testing putters, seemingly always rolled a #7 the best. But couldn't get beyond the look of them. Those "fangs" hanging off the back. Preferring to continue trying to use an Anser style, because I liked the look, wanted it to work. A number of versions acquired while scrounging. Tested all manner of "blade" putters. Then I'd grab a #7 and would feel better, easier to line up, stable through the stroke on shorter putts. Would think to myself, this always seems to work.

Last year, they had one Ping Tyne H (#7 style with a plumbers neck) on the rack and I rolled some putts with it. And made like 4 in a row from across the test green. Liked it immediately. Figured that may be the one, but didn't want to pay retail. Went home, checked eBay, and sure enough, someone was selling one. Bought it. (Of course, Ping dropped the price down to what I paid for it about three weeks later). The only putter I utilized in the modern bag for rest of the season.

One of the beefs I read about was the 400g head weight being to heavy. I did not find that to be the case at all. Really helped with smoothing out my putting stroke. For lack of a better description, could easily feel a pendulum stroke. Just draw the head back and release. Letting the weight of the head do the work. Not over manipulating the putter face. Especially on mid and shorter putts. Did not experience the twisting or getting the head back to square issue that I had with Anser's. Can still miss putts with regularity due to green reading and speed control. It wasn't total magic. But the stability on shorter putts was the primary issue I wanted to find a solution for. The Tyne seems to have addressed that. Being able to stand over a putt with some measure of confidence really helps with rolling the ball into the cup. Regardless of the chosen style.

Anyhow. Good luck with your putter build moving forward. How long are you going to build it? Many of the counter balanced ones seem to be pegged at 38", especially those with heavier heads. Sounds like you have a good plan in my mind. Length to help with the back issues sure sounds like a winner (confirmed by Bill's experience). All one can do is put together a putter based on testing and intuition. Get accustomed to it over time on a real grass practice green and out on the course. And anticipate that it's a solution.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

The snow event yesterday dropped about 6" is all. Not to bad. Dodged the bullet some as the "corridor" just to the north of us received 8" - 10". Was still snowing well into the evening so didn't blow out the drive. No one was heading out anyway. First order of business once there's daylight is to get out there. Currently at 16*, not to bad. But the temp is suppose to drop throughout the day and wind speeds increasing. Tomorrow appears to be ridiculous. Temp of -3* with winds gusting to 25 mph. May be an adventure venturing out for a 11:00 a.m. appointment. However, rain and 42* forecasted for Sunday. Pure Michigan.

Almost February. A "short" month. Heading into the home stretch towards Spring. Played golf last year at the end of February. Was 60*. I'm optimistic.

I had an aunt Mildred. Actually she was my mom's sister. Made great chicken n' dumplings. Like you said Wrigs, her and my grandma wore dresses, never pants. Pearl necklaces. A cabinet in the kitchen with odd things, spirits of camphor, cod liver oil... moth ball smell in the closets. Did moths really go in there? If they did, moth balls must have killed them off for eternity, either that or they spread the word to go elsewhere to eat stuff. No moths in our closet and I wouldn't know where to buy moth balls, but I can still smell that smell.

I can still smell the spirits of camphor too, slightly off in the distance, as we would sit down at that huge dinner table at my grandmas where we lived after my parents got divorced, I was about 8, and we would sort out sales tax stamps. My mom worked at Penney's so she would have cigar boxes full of sales tax stamps, not sure why. 1Cent 2Cent 5Cent whatever they were. Grandma would help, so would Mildred if she was visiting. Mildreds were required to look like June Cleaver. Mildreds never sweat either. Nothing really ever comes out of them. At least when people are around. Sometimes I think Wrigs that we had the same one, and when you didn't see her, I did.

I think people have a tendency to copy what's considered appropriate behavior and manner. Our respective Aunt Mildred's and parents grew up in the Depression era. They were brought up on the golden age of Hollywood, which depicted elegant ladies and gentlemen. (for the most part.) The dresses and pearls were part of that era. People just copied what was depicted as proper. (As they have throughout history.)

I've long held the belief that people are more apt to act like ladies and gentlemen if they dress like ladies and gentlemen. Doesn't always work out that way, though.

I recall watching Mike Douglas talk show, way back. The guy who played the villainous Dr. Smith, Jonathan Harris, on "Lost in Space" was a guest. He talked about growing up very poor, and going to the movies when money was available. He copied the stuffy mannerisms of the "high class" actors, which he utilized as an actor.

Today, acceptable is 180 degrees opposite than the Aunt Mildred's of our past era. I can foresee discussion on this topic 30 years in the future. Aunts that are identical in manner and dress, that is considered acceptable today. No pearls and dresses need apply.

Social Science 101.

Class dismissed.

I think we all either had an Aunt Mildred or knew an Aunt Mildred when we were growing up. Your description reminds me of my Aunt Dorothy. There was always something appealing about her. She dressed differently and smelled differently. She worked at the local newspaper at a time that it was rare for married women, especially those with a family, to work. Now granted, my cousins were both away at school by that time which was a bit of a rarity too as they were the first two in our family to go to university in the early 1960's. I learned the hard way to stay out of a lady's purse when I went snooping in my Aunt Dorothy's purse for a piece of gum. She always had gum and always offered me a piece so I thought it would be okay. She was mortified and I was embarrassed to tears when I was caught. I guess everything happens for a reason.

Aunt Dorothy sounds like a wonderful lady. She taught you a valuable lesson.

The children who play in my yard need to learn lessons like we learned.

Not politically correct for our era.

I think we all either had an Aunt Mildred or knew an Aunt Mildred when we were growing up. Your description reminds me of my Aunt Dorothy. There was always something appealing about her. She dressed differently and smelled differently. She worked at the local newspaper at a time that it was rare for married women, especially those with a family, to work. Now granted, my cousins were both away at school by that time which was a bit of a rarity too as they were the first two in our family to go to university in the early 1960's. I learned the hard way to stay out of a lady's purse when I went snooping in my Aunt Dorothy's purse for a piece of gum. She always had gum and always offered me a piece so I thought it would be okay. She was mortified and I was embarrassed to tears when I was caught. I guess everything happens for a reason.

You bring up a good point, Wriggs. Our boundaries were clear cut and there wasn't a whole lot of leeway. Corporal punishment, hard work was the MO of getting us to fall into line and I don't recall needing many applications to follow the rules. It's funny that when at my cousins the other day we were reminiscing about Mr. Karas who was the principal at our elementary school. He was tall and lean with a crew cut and pencil thing mustache and he always dressed in black. Everyone was scared to death of him and the wails that would emanate from the office when the strap was being administered. The flip side was that I don't think that our parent were worried about us as they let us be kids and play unsurpervised until dark, riding our bikes on the road, going fishing or trying to plink sparrows with our pellet guns. Now-a-days everything has to be organised and controlled and supervised.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Assuming you're referring to the #7 Tank? They do seem to be well balanced with the extra head weight. For the longest time whenever I stopped at the LGS and fooled around with testing putters, seemingly always rolled a #7 the best. But couldn't get beyond the look of them. Those "fangs" hanging off the back. Preferring to continue trying to use an Anser style, because I liked the look, wanted it to work. A number of versions acquired while scrounging. Tested all manner of "blade" putters. Then I'd grab a #7 and would feel better, easier to line up, stable through the stroke on shorter putts. Would think to myself, this always seems to work.

Yes. The funny thing is that I never really liked those putters in the original version as I always thought that they were too head heavy, but the counterbalanced version seems just right.

The putter that I'm building will be made from a Rossa Tourismo 3 head that has 14 gm weights in it versus the OTR 4 gm set-up. It's a 72° slant neck so that should work OK in the longer lengths. Total head weight is 380 gm and using a 50 gm tour lock the grip will come in at 105 gm. The math should work out perfectly using a counterbalanced extension. Feel wise it should be pretty close (I hope).

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Not sure how much snow we got last night, but it was a lot or at least there was a whole lot to move. My next door neighbour has a small track loader. He was over around 8 am cleaning out my driveway or more correctly the end of my driveway when he had finished his. As soon as I saw him start, I knew there was going to be trouble as he randomly piled snow on either side of the drive. Within 45 minutes the situation was worse than before he started! I thanked him for his efforts, but found myself going out not long after once the snowplow had gone down the road and really filled the end in.

I think things are pretty well settle for now and hopefully I won't have to make another pass until tonight at the earliest as DW is working afternoons again. There was way more snow to move this time than the last big blast weekend before last. Four foot drifts were around the buildings this time and those had to be taken down. The driveway remains pretty good except for the final 50'-60'. I try and cut it back as wide as I can at the road, but there's a hydro pole in the way.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

You bring up a good point, Wriggs. Our boundaries were clear cut and there wasn't a whole lot of leeway. Corporal punishment, hard work was the MO of getting us to fall into line and I don't recall needing many applications to follow the rules. It's funny that when at my cousins the other day we were reminiscing about Mr. Karas who was the principal at our elementary school. He was tall and lean with a crew cut and pencil thing mustache and he always dressed in black. Everyone was scared to death of him and the wails that would emanate from the office when the strap was being administered. The flip side was that I don't think that our parent were worried about us as they let us be kids and play unsurpervised until dark, riding our bikes on the road, going fishing or trying to plink sparrows with our pellet guns. Now-a-days everything has to be organised and controlled and supervised.

Our youngest daughter married a guy from Texas, such a great young man. Well, they're both 35 now, but that's young to me, married for 10 years. So they live in Tennessee, he is so respectful which I find in so many people from the south. Their kids-our grandkids- say yes m'aam and yes sir etc, but they do have lots of fun and they're great parents to the kids. It all reminds me of the way things used to be plus they have the modern little video thingys on top of that and other stuff, so the kids are kind of a mix of the 60's and the 2019's, very interesting. Still, I love that southern tinge, you just don't get it up here...

Are refried beans and twice baked potatoes made by a chef suffering deja vu ???

What exactly is an "after" thought? There are thoughts and no thoughts. Please explain.

Let's talk multiple personality syndrome. How do they exchange Christmas gifts without killing the surprise?

Squirrels will eat pomegranates. Proof: Name me one squirrel with a spastic colon.

"It's in the bag". What's in there? The cat? Can't be cause the cat's out of the bag, no? Do they sell cat bags?

"He's a chip off the old block".

He blocks all his chips.

He has a mental block when faced with a chip.

His chipping is pure bull chip.

As for an "after" thought. Don't chip. Lay up. Wedgies from 100 yards >>>> shoulder chips.

He has his dad's eyes. No wonder his dad keeps trippin' over things.

He's dumber than a bag of rocks. He: What did you get on that test bag of rocks? Bag of rocks: A- He: Dang, I got a B+

If I only knew then what I know now. Back then: Shucks, wish I knew what I was gonna know, it would help me now, but I don't know that, I guess, I'm not sure.

I keep forgetting to...

"Dede als a dore-nayle" This was done by pounding the protruding point of the nail over and down into the wood. A nail that was bent in this fashion (and thus not easily pulled out) was said to be "dead", thus dead as a doornail.

Flog: To beat with or as if with a rod or whip (also just happens to be Golf spelled backwards- Coincidence?)

Flog: To beat with or as if with a rod or whip (also just happens to be Golf spelled backwards- Coincidence?)

I think not. There are times playing at golf can feel as though you're flogging oneself... black%20eye.gif

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

-10°F this morning. The coldest day so far this winter. A clear sky and little in the way of wind makes this somewhat bearable. When at my bridge game yesterday my partner commented that it was beautiful outside this time of year provided the wind was at bay. His wife responded, only if you're healthy! I must be getting used to this as I was out in it again late last night blowing snow so that DW could get in the driveway. It was pretty cold, but I didn't feel chilled to the bone... I've been getting good use out of my ski clothes!

--------------------------

Watched The Legend of Bagger Vance again last night on the GC. I was taken by the free flowing motion of the golf swings not to mention this idea of the authentic swing that resides within each of us that can't be taught or learned, only remembered. Now if that isn't the polar opposite of how the game is taught today!

There was an article in a local agricultural paper yesterday featuring one of my neighbours. The article talked about all the changes that have taken place over the past few years with an eye towards improving efficiency. When the average production numbers were mentioned it had the same impact of seeing an old mate who was now averaging 300 yards off the tee when I've never hit one that far in my life! It all sort of boggles the mind a bit as I don't have a point of reference. I guess the new ways do work with the evidence being the plethora of big hitters on the tour. It's not so hard to see the appeal of the latest equipment or training techniques if the goal is to be all you can be whether out of necessity or desire..

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

-10°F this morning. The coldest day so far this winter. A clear sky and little in the way of wind makes this somewhat bearable. When at my bridge game yesterday my partner commented that it was beautiful outside this time of year provided the wind was at bay. His wife responded, only if you're healthy! I must be getting used to this as I was out in it again late last night blowing snow so that DW could get in the driveway. It was pretty cold, but I didn't feel chilled to the bone... I've been getting good use out of my ski clothes!

Watched The Legend of Bagger Vance again last night on the GC. I was taken by the free flowing motion of the golf swings not to mention this idea of the authentic swing that resides within each of us that can't be taught or learned, only remembered. Now if that isn't the polar opposite of how the game is taught today!

There was an article in a local agricultural paper yesterday featuring one of my neighbours. The article talked about all the changes that have taken place over the past few years with an eye towards improving efficiency. When the average production numbers were mentioned it had the same impact of seeing an old mate who was now averaging 300 yards off the tee when I've never hit one that far in my life! It all sort of boggles the mind a bit as I don't have a point of reference. I guess the new ways do work with the evidence being the plethora of big hitters on the tour. It's not so hard to see the appeal of the latest equipment or training techniques if the goal is to be all you can be whether out of necessity or desire..

Reply post crashed while writing it. Maybe for the best. If this one dies before the post button I'll put down the knife and step away from the table. Lol

That movie (we agree) is deep. Seems way more about life, overcoming the "darkness" in ways far beyond golf.

May be just my lousy opine, but I see our journey as likewise being deeper than the mere 14 chances per outing to smoke the crap out of a tee shot. Could be wrong about that one, but I see it very much that way. It's not a cop out cause we're too old and such. It's more about the richness and depth of the TOTAL journey outweighing the narrow yardstick of blasting it a mile. I don't think one is all that integral to the other. Seems like you guys generally agree.

Example: I far prefer hearing about Scomacer's putter build than his 300 yd drive. Even if he could bomb it, the former is way more interesting than the latter, no?

This eve we dip well into the 20's. Nothing compared to the lows so many others are enduring. But still, cold and absolutely a golf killer.

Looking ahead to next week we may see a day or two approaching 70!

This is the schizophrenia that is winter in the SE US. We get all four seasons. Sometimes we get all four within the same week.

Time for a break. I've been working away at a tax filing that is due tomorrow. Not a big deal, just putting one's nose to the grindstone to get it done. I always tend to leave these things to the last minute. It's in my nature, I guess. Good job I wasn't an accountant. That would have never worked out!

---------------------

Colder right now than it was this morning when I got up! The furnace has been running all day and is having trouble keeping up. Worse yet is that I will have to blow the blasted driveway out again this evening before DW comes home. She should pay me for snow removal! Hopefully the wind will subside when the sun goes down...

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Tonite should be our coldest, -8 It was -38 last night in Grand Fork North Dakota with wind chills at -55 so I'm thinking we have nothing to complain about here. Especially since it's supposed to reach into the low 50's by Monday. I feel really bad for the folks in Chicago and Minneapolis, with power going out, and such low temps. There's some people really in trouble there.

Reply post crashed while writing it. Maybe for the best. If this one dies before the post button I'll put down the knife and step away from the table. Lol

That movie (we agree) is deep. Seems way more about life, overcoming the "darkness" in ways far beyond golf.

May be just my lousy opine, but I see our journey as likewise being deeper than the mere 14 chances per outing to smoke the crap out of a tee shot. Could be wrong about that one, but I see it very much that way. It's not a cop out cause we're too old and such. It's more about the richness and depth of the TOTAL journey outweighing the narrow yardstick of blasting it a mile. I don't think one is all that integral to the other. Seems like you guys generally agree.

Example: I far prefer hearing about Scomacer's putter build than his 300 yd drive. Even if he could bomb it, the former is way more interesting than the latter, no?

Couldn't agree more.

More than any other sport the variety of implements we can use to play golf. More than any other

sport the variety in the fields we play on. More than any other sport the time taken to play and the

time taken to fiddle and fine tune our implements.

More than any other sport the variety of balls available to play with.

Golf just simply dwarfs all other sports with it's seeming infinite possibilities when all things are

taken together. It's no wonder that golfers spend so much time in contemplation. There is A LOT

to think about.......and talk about.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Tonight's Grille special. All you can eat wood fired pizza. Choose any and all toppings. Beer cheddar and bacon soup. Salad. Drinks of choice. Stay warm and stay full :)

What. No mouthwatering pic!? Very UnScotee of you. :)

SLED Gemini

I was thinking............cold weather golfing...................well, not too cold. I may get out next

week. Wonder if I should oil load the night before since it's been awhile....and what oil the

group would recommend......maybe some of Sixty's extra extra virgin virgin Olive Oil topped

off with some of Popeye's I'm going Green Spinach.

SLED Gemini

Tonight's Grille special. All you can eat wood fired pizza. Choose any and all toppings. Beer cheddar and bacon soup. Salad. Drinks of choice. Stay warm and stay full :)

Yum...sounds great scotee, and lots of golf talk and 2019 plans, swing thoughts from Reasy, and maybe some samples from Stu's cool stash of clubs, wonderfully refreshing retirement stories from Rad, plus we can hear about the status of sco's putter build, we'll need more warm golf course pics from Fella, Wrigs and I can continue to compare Mildreds while bill balances me out on what's happening in the southern portion of Ohio, tol can show us his latest beautiful painting while Cyndy makes a sign welcoming her favorite patrons to the Grylle...

I was thinking............cold weather golfing...................well, not too cold. I may get out next

week. Wonder if I should oil load the night before since it's been awhile....and what oil the

group would recommend......maybe some of Sixty's extra extra virgin virgin Olive Oil topped

off with some of Popeye's I'm going Green Spinach.

Not knowing what you consider to be cold weather golfing. Temps above 50* with sun, should be good to go. Above 60*, break out the Bermuda shorts. Hoping you'll have a fair weather opportunity to reengage playing golf. Just for the fun of it.

Don't know how much benefit would be realized by "oil loading" the day before. But for maintaining "oiliness" long term, daily take 1000 mg fish oil, Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement, and Vitamin D3 (especially during the winter months of limited sunshine exposure). In addition to the regular multi-vitamin. Conflicting claims on the effectiveness of so doing, unsubstantiated studies depending on what one reads. But I don't seem to be afflicted with joint ailments and related issues nearly as much as others I golf with. So continue with the program.

Plus two ibuprofen an hour before I play helps with loosening up the muscles. Notice it immediately on the first hole when I forget. Takes a bit longer to limber up the swing. Not one to hit balls very often prior to play. Typically stretch it out while waiting to tee off, some practice swings with a weight, then go. So far so good, but there may come a time when I'll have to do the pre-play routine differently.

Currently at -12* and falling. But the winds have died down. Today was quite bitter while I was out and about in the afternoon. Temps did not get above 0*. But not as extreme as the prognosticators were predicting. Due to the winds not reaching the levels that were forecasted. Noticeably less traffic out on the roads as well. Which were very wind swept icey early in the day. Had to be on your winter driving game.

Was kind of strange, in a good way, when I went to the grocery store. Many seemed to be in rather jovial spirits. Like, we're all out here braving the elements, it's really cold outside, what are you going to do. Managing. People seemed to be smiling a bit more than usual. Folks were kibitzing in the check out line before bundling up and heading back out into the cold. Acknowledging the same shared experience with a shrug. IDK. Just seemed different than the typical routine, from my limited observation point.

pl

SLED Gemini

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)