2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Course language

Bad words
I played a round a few days ago with a kid who would not stop swearing. Unless he hit the best possible shot he would get mad at himself and start yelling unnecessarily, attracting a lot of attention.

Do any other golfers have this happen to them? If i am in a tight situation where i no i cant make a mistake and i hit a bad shot i might mumble something to myself but for the most part, I keep it to myself and focus on my next shot. Personally i dont think swearing belongs on the course, especially if theres nothing riding on the round.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i played in high school, during the pre-round discussion/introductions, our coaches would always mention that swearing was not allowed on the course. i'm pretty sure according to our league rules that you could be penalized if you broke the swearing rule. one coach in particular was very strict about this rule and would actually encourage his players to call people on it. it was f***ing absurd haha.

I do. It is an amazing stress reliever. I hit a bad shot, i yell out "F**k!", then I'm done, hit my next shot with a clean mind. It's therapy for me, if I keep it bottled in it gets worse.

btw, right now it's 16 to 6 in favour of yes... you're telling me that 6 out of the 22 that answered this don't swear on the course? Wow, you guys are either full of sh*t or have REALLY good attitudes on the course... hopefully it's the latter, because if I could do it I would... my way just works for me, I get angry too easily. :shok:

I've heard that Tiger swears like a sailor during practice rounds. I don't think pros should do it on TV, and neither should the rest of us in tournaments. But when I play with buddies, I usually will spew out a few F-'s and S-'s. It would be wrong when directed at someone you're playing with, but it's not as bad when it's at yourself.

Sometimes, I would like to shout a few unkind words to a slow group in front, but it never happens.

I think it's a fine way to let off some steam after a shot that didn't meet one's standards. I do though, try to keep it to myself, muttering it somewhat quietyly to myself under my breath. I find it kinda disrespectful when golfers find it okay to yell out there emotions. Just keep it to yourself and I see no problem.

I think it's a fine way to let off some steam after a shot that didn't meet one's standards. I do though, try to keep it to myself, muttering it somewhat quietyly to myself under my breath. I find it kinda disrespectful when golfers find it okay to yell out there emotions. Just keep it to yourself and I see no problem.

Ditto here, I find that it is a good way to calm, people think I'm a freak when I have conversations with myself, but it's the only way I can stay in control of the situation. By saying positive words, it is impossible tothink bad things. Words overpower thoughts.

I never swear in a way that will affect anyone else in any way. As with tossing clubs as well, I won't do it because I know I will regret it. If you get carried away, you will still be thinking about it for the next shot. Usually, i mutter it softly to myself, but I willl never say it out loud.

[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Bridgestone J33R 460 9.5* - Aldila Voodoo XNV6[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]TEE XCG6 15* - Testing [/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Ping Rapture 18* - Aldila NV 105-X[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Ping Rapture 24* - Project X 6.5[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Cobra '08 Pro CB Forged 5-PW - Project X 6.5 (Satin)[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Vokey SM 50* and 54* - DG S400[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Callaway X-Tour Forged PM Grind 58* - DG S400[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Seemore M1 Milled[/size][/font]

I only ever swear if I hit a really poor shot that puts me in bad shape or I hit two poor shots in a row, but generally I keep my head down and just play golf.

you never really hit two poor shots in a row, you just hit a dumb second shot because your still thinking of the last shot and still saying hundreds of swears, so you can't focus on the next

• 2 weeks later...
I dont swear constantly on a golf course. But on the tee, if i hit a bad shot a F**** always gets the job done. I also do the thing tiger does when at the top of my backswing i drop my club if i hit a bad shot...

Haha yeah...a nice sharp F-bomb usually gets all the anger out of my system. I do agree that if people are constantly swearing about every shot, that can get really annoying, but I think swearing is just an easy way to let off a little steam. I tend to just swear at myself anyways, so it shouldn't bother anyone. And I think some of the swears that I insult myself with are kinda comical :P

I sed to swear a lot, but as you get older and more mature, the bad shots really phae you less. I also used to have a really bad club throwing problem, but when you don;t let the bad shots gt to you, it allows yourself to recover and make u for the bogey or double, instead of having your round completley fall apart

I have to say yes, but usually it's when I can't put two or three shots together to get out of trouble or when I three jack on the green. Usually I keep it in check.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• 2 weeks later...

I play almost all of my rounds as a single, so I'm generally paired up with 3 guys who I don't know. I absolutely dread getting paired with people who can't control their anger. People who yell or swear whenever they hit a bad shot or can't sink a putt. It throws me off.

Golf is a game of integrity, a lot of you guys are saying you swear every time you have a bad shot. If you aren't playing with your good buddies, I suggest you think of the effect you're having on your playing partners. When I'm waiting for the guy outside me to putt and he starts yelling when he misses, I'm not comfortable standing over my putt because this guy behind me is blowing steam out of his ears.

Respect the other players, is what I'm trying to say...think about if your yelling is going to throw anybody else off.

If you have to let out some steam, punch a pillow (kidding). Really, save it for the walk to the next hole, at least you won't bother someone trying to focus on their own shot.

<edit>

Freedom of Speech....If you don't like it , you have that choice to leave the course or to play with others..

When you're walking on, you don't have much of a choice who you get paired up with, sucks when they are throwing clubs and swearing non stop. Especially when they are a complete stranger, kind of awkward to tell them to shut up :cheesy:

When a golfer curses, throws their clubs, or yells they look like a complete fool. Considering that this is a junior/college thread most of you should know that how you present yourself on the golf course plays a huge role in the college recruiting process. For all of you that said that you curse on the course good luck in major junior tournaments because they do penalize you and also good luck finding a coach that accepts that type of negative behavior. When you put all of this in perspective it is just a game and just a score so deal with it.