2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Just how tall are these guys again?

Golfnutgalen

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rory, for one, walked by me a few times and he seems taller than his listed height. Because he walks upright and stands up straight.

He is tall if you live in the Shires.

Lol. I never said he is tall. I said he seems taller than his listed height.

Interesting because I thought he was a midget the first time I saw him at Murifiekd three years ago. I would bet Rory is lucky to be 5'8" in his spikes legit.

Of course it would be beneficial for me if Rory really was 5'10", that would put my Johnson closer to 10".

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

-3.9% of adult men are 6'2" or taller. So yeah...the odds that the PGA Tour is made up of by a bunch of freak show / tall guys...not that great.
So they I guess the odds of all of those guys in the NBA and NFL that are over 6'2" isn't that great either? According to the 2010 U.S. Census, there are approximately 151.8 million males in the United States, and 108.9 million are over the age of 19. That means there are approximately 4.3 million adult males in the U.S. over 6'2" tall. Kinda puts that 3.9% into perspective, no?
Basketball and football...two sports where people that were bigger and/or taller than average were hand picked to play from a young age. Golf...not so much. The average height on the PGA tour is likely no more than 5'10"-5'11". You can look right down the player stats...for every 6'2"-6'4" guy...there's one in the 5'7"-5'9" range. http://newsok.sports.../S_players.html
What is that list from? there are guys that have zero status! I'm kinda sad my name isn;t on there!!

Beats me where they got it. I was looking for something more "official" (ex. PGA site), but this was the only list I could find that listed player heights.

-3.9% of adult men are 6'2" or taller. So yeah...the odds that the PGA Tour is made up of by a bunch of freak show / tall guys...not that great.
So they I guess the odds of all of those guys in the NBA and NFL that are over 6'2" isn't that great either? According to the 2010 U.S. Census, there are approximately 151.8 million males in the United States, and 108.9 million are over the age of 19. That means there are approximately 4.3 million adult males in the U.S. over 6'2" tall. Kinda puts that 3.9% into perspective, no?
Basketball and football...two sports where people that were bigger and/or taller than average were hand picked to play from a young age. Golf...not so much. The average height on the PGA tour is likely no more than 5'10"-5'11". You can look right down the player stats...for every 6'2"-6'4" guy...there's one in the 5'7"-5'9" range. http://newsok.sports.../S_players.html
What is that list from? there are guys that have zero status! I'm kinda sad my name isn;t on there!!

Beats me where they got it. I was looking for something more "official" (ex. PGA site), but this was the only list I could find that listed player heights.

Those sites also list Paul Rudd at 5'9". Dude is as tall as the dwarf in game of thrones

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

I am a legit 6'1/2" barefooted measured by NFL scouts. I am taller than a lot of guys that think they are 6'2". I don't think people really know how tall they are.

I've always worked off the premise that 80% of program weights/heights are off. The reason being that when myself and four of my teammates were measured by NFL/USFL scouts, only one of us was our program height. My height was correct(6'2") though my weight was 5-7lbs off, as I was listed at 242lbs, and while I hit that in the winter, my playing weight was between 235-238 my last 2 years. My BFF was an AA/Captain out of Penn State, and from our Senior year in HS through our senior year in college, he was listed at 6'2" and I was always a good 1"+ taller than him, lol.

Only when he hit the NFL(5 years) did his height change~ dropping to 6'1/2", LMAO. I said WTF, I've heard of people's spine starting to curve from their 40-50's on, but at 21yo??? What really surprised me is that my college roomie/teammate made a NFL Taxi Squad, got cut, went to the CFL for a year, where he met the Hart family, the Royal family of Pro Wrestling and he went onto WWF fame before his tragic passing some years ago. Well, I always figured that the WWF puffed those personal numbers up, both height/weight however they always stated his true numbers, 5'9"/225lbs., versus, his "program" stats, 5'10"/245, though that was his college Playing weight as a DI NG, and it was big enough to grab a Kodak 2nd Team AA and AP Honorable Mention. His heart was bigger than he was.

If 6' is the most often misquoted male height(I read that in a magazine article), then 6'2" has gotta be #2, especially for former Players, LMAO.

I'll never forget this club member who I was putting it 30-40yds past him and he swore that I was hitting it "320-330" because he hit it "290-300 all day" however he was 230-240, tops, because while hitting the ball well, I didn't put one past 270-275. Well, in a later discussion he claimed he was 6'2, and he clearly was 6', maybe 6'1/2", lmao.

Again, he looked to me and said, "you tell em, you're 6'3-6'4"," lol.

I just replied, "yea, and I hit it 330," and my Buds looked at me like I was crazier than bats*** and I walked away.

6'3"-6'4" and 330yd bombs, LMAO

Damn

Have a nice day Bro :)

My Best,

RP

I played a little bit of minor league baseball and played the "program game" before I got drafted. I was listed in our college program at 6'2" and 195 lbs. As a catcher, I needed as much size as I could muster. On the day I was drafted, I was EXACLTY 6' and weighed in at a beastly 163. Didn't phase my manager - I didn't get drafted because of my size - but he had a good laugh about it. Funny part is that I now totally look the part at 6' and 220. If I had this size back then, I might have made a little $!

I've stood shoulder to shoulder with Ernie and been within a good stretch from Vijay and Tiger. I'll say this about Ernie - he is a BIG man. He is tall, but what surprised me was how BIG he is. Broad shoulders, big chest, thick build. I kept thinking that he looks smaller on TV than he does in person. Vijay is tall, too, but Ernie just seemed to be a more imposing figure. I'll say this about Vijay - I've never seen a big man as flexible, and LORD can he put on a ball striking clinic.

The impression I had about Tiger was the opposite of Ernie. Tiger is FIT, but he doesn't look like a WR much less a LB. He has fingers like a pianist, with a tiny waist and slender build that makes him look taller than he is. I joke to my wife all the time about "Soloflex Man" - the fitness model that used to pitch the old Soloflex at home gym. Put developed muscles on a small framed man, and he will look like Goliath on TV. IMO, that's Tiger. He is no doubt strong and has developed a muscular physique, but he has a small frame.

At 6' and 225 with a 46 coat size and 35" waist, I'm pretty sure I would look like Shrek on TV. What can I say, it is a physique made for the Internet!

What cracks me up about both of your guys stories is I had to play the program game the other way!!

As a face off guy for lacrosse I had 5'9" and 155 listed in the program to make college coaches understand my quickness much better. If I wrote my actual 6' 170ish there's no way I would get recruited as a fogo/defensive midfielder. They would have pushed me to LPM or offense. And I wouldn't have liked that. And as soon as they could get my real size/weight, the offers went from playing early to being a walk on/redshirt to learn a new position.

WITB 2015:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha, -1 D setting, Speeder 565 S
3WD: Cobra Biocell+ 12.5 degrees, Matrix Black tie
2HY: Cobra Biocell, 16.5D setting, Stock shaft
4/5i: Cobra Biocell, True Temper s+ shaft
6-PW: Biocell+, Dynamic Gold S200
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

I am a legit 6'1/2" barefooted measured by NFL scouts. I am taller than a lot of guys that think they are 6'2". I don't think people really know how tall they are.

I've always worked off the premise that 80% of program weights/heights are off. The reason being that when myself and four of my teammates were measured by NFL/USFL scouts, only one of us was our program height. My height was correct(6'2") though my weight was 5-7lbs off, as I was listed at 242lbs, and while I hit that in the winter, my playing weight was between 235-238 my last 2 years. My BFF was an AA/Captain out of Penn State, and from our Senior year in HS through our senior year in college, he was listed at 6'2" and I was always a good 1"+ taller than him, lol.

Only when he hit the NFL(5 years) did his height change~ dropping to 6'1/2", LMAO. I said WTF, I've heard of people's spine starting to curve from their 40-50's on, but at 21yo??? What really surprised me is that my college roomie/teammate made a NFL Taxi Squad, got cut, went to the CFL for a year, where he met the Hart family, the Royal family of Pro Wrestling and he went onto WWF fame before his tragic passing some years ago. Well, I always figured that the WWF puffed those personal numbers up, both height/weight however they always stated his true numbers, 5'9"/225lbs., versus, his "program" stats, 5'10"/245, though that was his college Playing weight as a DI NG, and it was big enough to grab a Kodak 2nd Team AA and AP Honorable Mention. His heart was bigger than he was.

If 6' is the most often misquoted male height(I read that in a magazine article), then 6'2" has gotta be #2, especially for former Players, LMAO.

I'll never forget this club member who I was putting it 30-40yds past him and he swore that I was hitting it "320-330" because he hit it "290-300 all day" however he was 230-240, tops, because while hitting the ball well, I didn't put one past 270-275. Well, in a later discussion he claimed he was 6'2, and he clearly was 6', maybe 6'1/2", lmao.

I just replied, "yea, and I hit it 330," and my Buds looked at me like I was crazier than bats*** and I walked away.

Damn

My Best,

RP

I played a little bit of minor league baseball and played the "program game" before I got drafted. I was listed in our college program at 6'2" and 195 lbs. As a catcher, I needed as much size as I could muster. On the day I was drafted, I was EXACLTY 6' and weighed in at a beastly 163. Didn't phase my manager - I didn't get drafted because of my size - but he had a good laugh about it. Funny part is that I now totally look the part at 6' and 220. If I had this size back then, I might have made a little $!

I've stood shoulder to shoulder with Ernie and been within a good stretch from Vijay and Tiger. I'll say this about Ernie - he is a BIG man. He is tall, but what surprised me was how BIG he is. Broad shoulders, big chest, thick build. I kept thinking that he looks smaller on TV than he does in person. Vijay is tall, too, but Ernie just seemed to be a more imposing figure. I'll say this about Vijay - I've never seen a big man as flexible, and LORD can he put on a ball striking clinic.

The impression I had about Tiger was the opposite of Ernie. Tiger is FIT, but he doesn't look like a WR much less a LB. He has fingers like a pianist, with a tiny waist and slender build that makes him look taller than he is. I joke to my wife all the time about "Soloflex Man" - the fitness model that used to pitch the old Soloflex at home gym. Put developed muscles on a small framed man, and he will look like Goliath on TV. IMO, that's Tiger. He is no doubt strong and has developed a muscular physique, but he has a small frame.

At 6' and 225 with a 46 coat size and 35" waist, I'm pretty sure I would look like Shrek on TV. What can I say, it is a physique made for the Internet!

What cracks me up about both of your guys stories is I had to play the program game the other way!!

As a face off guy for lacrosse I had 5'9" and 155 listed in the program to make college coaches understand my quickness much better. If I wrote my actual 6' 170ish there's no way I would get recruited as a fogo/defensive midfielder. They would have pushed me to LPM or offense. And I wouldn't have liked that. And as soon as they could get my real size/weight, the offers went from playing early to being a walk on/redshirt to learn a new position.

Smaller was better? My knowledge of lacrosse is almost nonexistent. But if 5'9", 155 and fast is ideal I missed my sport!

Damn

My Best,

RP

Smaller was better? My knowledge of lacrosse is almost nonexistent. But if 5'9", 155 and fast is ideal I missed my sport!

For face off guys, a smaller quicker compact guy is a little better. Think of some of the wrestlers at the Olympics. They aren't all that tall. Lacrosse face off (only position like this) is a "small" position.

Most attack men are 5'11". Most middies are 6'+. Defenders in the 6'2" range.

WITB 2015:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha, -1 D setting, Speeder 565 S
3WD: Cobra Biocell+ 12.5 degrees, Matrix Black tie
2HY: Cobra Biocell, 16.5D setting, Stock shaft
4/5i: Cobra Biocell, True Temper s+ shaft
6-PW: Biocell+, Dynamic Gold S200
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

Vijay is a legit 6'3. Saw him in person last year at the John Deere.

The guy who was taller than I thought? Jordan Spieth, he's probably 6'2 and watching tv I would have never though he was that tall.

I thought the opposite. I am 6'3" and was inches from Spieth at the U.S. Open (coming off the practice range). I was close enough that I could have grabbed his shoulder if I had wanted to. He wa svery friendly and only signed for kids (so I quickly moved back). He seemed much shorter than 6'1" to me. A coworker asked me about his height and I said "The 6'1" must be a professional wrestling height." Phil basically looked me in the eye (I was inches from him as well and wished him a happy birthday and asked him to sign my ticket--which he graciously did). Smiley Kaufman and Tony Finau's heights are legitimate as well. I'm not sure of David Toms' listed height but he is pretty short.

Funny to stumble across this thread. I was watching Zach Johnson in person this weekend at the John Deere, and went to his season record page at the tour site to compare his results since the equipment change last year. I noticed his height is listed as 5'11". I'm just a hair over 6' myself, and in my opinion, Zach might be capable of hitting 5'11" if he donned these classic men's platforms from the 1970s!

e2f01fbe4a9ded35807809c9e67aff72.jpg

Funny to stumble across this thread. I was watching Zach Johnson in person this weekend at the John Deere, and went to his season record page at the tour site to compare his results since the equipment change last year. I noticed his height is listed as 5'11". I'm just a hair over 6' myself, and in my opinion, Zach might be capable of hitting 5'11" if he donned these classic men's platforms from the 1970s!

Yep! I was inches from Zach Johnson as well. I was taken aback by how small he seemed. Rory McIlroy (I was 30 feet or so from him, is downright small. That was the most striking thing of my US Open visits (Mon - Wed)...how small the guys seemed. A guy from my church went Thursday and he said the same thing.

Whenever I've seen professional athletes up close, in person, they seem to be on a larger scale. Bernhard Langer walked about three feet away from me. He's about my height (5'9"ish), but his head is enormous. They all seem to have huge heads (I mean literally huge, not Tiger huge).

Isn't that wild... Visit a pro am with Rust Cohle in the field - Biggest head I ever seen.

I read somewhere...that tiger was only 5'10" and I'm thinking if that was the case maybe many of these guys are just exaggerating their height. It's a common thing to do and I've done it myself....Back in the day the tour website listed Tiger, Phil, and Vijay all at 6'2" and we all know that was wrong. Anyway, I wanted to find a photo of Jack and Tiger because they're listed as 3" apart, so here's a photo taken at the 2000 PGA:

golfworld-2014-07-gwsl-2000-pga-woods-singh.jpg

Now Jack is 60 in this pic, so he likely lost an inch from his prime (I read that the average is 1/4-1/2" per decade after 40). Does that look like 4 inches to you. or even more severe, supposedly 1" for Tiger vs Vijay? This is lighthearted I just thought it was interesting :taunt:

After being around these guys for decades, the tour media guide is well known to be inaccurate on height & weight.

Vijay used call himself as 6'4.5" and is but he has lost 1" now. He used to be much bigger esp early in career & has lost lots of weight since.

Phil was 6'2" and probably 6'1.5" now

Tiger was 6'0" then and pretty close to that now.

Ernie was splitting hairs as tall as Vij. He's still w/in 6'4" now.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

The guy who was taller than I thought? Jordan Spieth, he's probably 6'2 and watching tv I would have never though he was that tall.

Spieth is definitely not 6'2". He's well shorter than Phil, only 6'0".

Have been inches from Spieth too often. He's rl close to Tiger, maybe 1/2" taller at best.

Tiger is probably just a smidge over 6', but very small framed, Nicklaus nearly 5'11 in his prime though well under 5'10 at this point with age. Vijay is legit around 6'3.

Erie is a big dude, tall and big frame. So is Phil.

Nick Faldo was the biggest surprise when I first saw him in person. He's a really big guy, about 6'3, but like Els, big frame and projects larger for his height.

Faldo used to be 6'2" as he called himself then.

He's now 6'1.5". A wee bit taller than Spieth when they were next to each other.

Yup, to my eye Vijay has to be at least 6'3" (rather than 6'2") and Tiger MAY be 6'. How about Michelle? I've heard the opposite that she may be taller than 6'1". Any truth in that?

No. Weisie is 6'0" and we are eyeball height same. Have seen her for a few rounds next to me.

I stood next to VJ and Tiger at a tournament once. I am 6'5". Vijay seemed to be about 6'2" and Tiger around 6 feet. People talk about how big Tiger is (muscle wise), Vijay was bigger. Huge shoulders. Probably would have made a good tight end 15 years ago.

Vijay was huge when he came on tour. He used to be a legit bar bouncer and heard rumors of him boxing competitively.

Practicing dawn to beyond dark back then only made him stronger.

Forget his height, his hand length is beyond extreme. Palming a basketball w/ a finger or two is easy for him.

Forget height. What strikes me when I see these guys in person is how skinny they are compared to how they look on TV. The camera really does add 10 lbs, at least.

Some guys are every bit of 150 to 175lb and well short of 6ft.

It helps to be rl flexible, have pt program & hit 100s of balls/wk.

I'm 185cm (just under 6'1) and have stood side by side with Tiger a number of times and I have at least a couple of inches on him. I'd put him at 5'11" and even that might be slightly generous. I would stake any amount of money that he is less than 6'. Greg Norman and Fred Couples have already been mentioned here and I concur, both look imposing on TV but are actually quite diminutive in person. Adam Scott is another who isn't as tall as you might imagine, he might be taller than Tiger but it would only be a fraction of an inch in it.

Justin Rose is one who I was surprised by, quite a big guy and would have to be close to 6'3. Vijay/Phil/DJ/Kuchar/Bubba/Els/Faldo are all in the same ballpark ~6'3 give or take.

Scott is definitely taller than tiger. Easy to see when they're next to each other. He's at least 6'1 and maybe 6'2".

Bubba is tall but midsized. He's taller than Phil by 1". Angie however is well taller than Bubba by a few inches. She was a rl good WNBA caliber player until injuries caused retirement.

Vij always has to duck under the door to get into our tournament trailer. He's used to it as he doesn't see a door before entering. He's also v funny.

I'm 185cm (just under 6'1) and have stood side by side with Tiger a number of times and I have at least a couple of inches on him. I'd put him at 5'11" and even that might be slightly generous. I would stake any amount of money that he is less than 6'. Greg Norman and Fred Couples have already been mentioned here and I concur, both look imposing on TV but are actually quite diminutive in person. Adam Scott is another who isn't as tall as you might imagine, he might be taller than Tiger but it would only be a fraction of an inch in it.

Justin Rose is one who I was surprised by, quite a big guy and would have to be close to 6'3. Vijay/Phil/DJ/Kuchar/Bubba/Els/Faldo are all in the same ballpark ~6'3 give or take.

I've never met Norman, but Fred Couples is not diminutive. He's not tall, but he is pretty thick. Huge calves, big shoulders.

Freddie has shrunk a bit, bad back and all. He's now about 5'11".

Just watch him in Tin Cup & you can see he was much taller then.

I thought the opposite. I am 6'3" and was inches from Spieth at the U.S. Open (coming off the practice range). I was close enough that I could have grabbed his shoulder if I had wanted to. He wa svery friendly and only signed for kids (so I quickly moved back). He seemed much shorter than 6'1" to me. A coworker asked me about his height and I said "The 6'1" must be a professional wrestling height." Phil basically looked me in the eye (I was inches from him as well and wished him a happy birthday and asked him to sign my ticket--which he graciously did). Smiley Kaufman and Tony Finau's heights are legitimate as well. I'm not sure of David Toms' listed height but he is pretty short.

Dave started @ 5'10" and has shrunk maybe an inch to now. He is a medium build.

Regular guys should watch him how to be successful. Doesn't hit it long 255-270 w/ good alround game and putting.

There's a sizeable group on tour that only hit 255-280yd range. They all can hit hybrids or woods rl solid and then recover by above avg scrambling or putting.

Nah, he's not that short. Have been in same room, inside the ropes inches away and watching him do a commercial.

He's at least 5'10.5" to 5'11". I'm 6'0"

My wife loves rickie. Anything to be OK to watch golf all the time is fine haha...so we go to the Barclays every year and follow him for a bit he hit his drive right into us. Walked right next to me I'm 5'7" barely and I swear I was taller than him. Maybe it was the lie. Rory walked by I gave him a high five, he was my height. Sergio is my fav and gave him a slap he was eye to eye. Stood next to Ernie...GIGANTIC...his back/shoulders were double mine crazy to see him hold the wedge it was like a toothpick. Phil is tall he was jawing with the local New York goombahs (I'm sure they bababooyed at some point) but was very nice.

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

My wife loves rickie. Anything to be OK to watch golf all the time is fine haha...so we go to the Barclays every year and follow him for a bit he hit his drive right into us. Walked right next to me I'm 5'7" barely and I swear I was taller than him. Maybe it was the lie. Rory walked by I gave him a high five, he was my height. Sergio is my fav and gave him a slap he was eye to eye. Stood next to Ernie...GIGANTIC...his back/shoulders were double mine crazy to see him hold the wedge it was like a toothpick. Phil is tall he was jawing with the local New York goombahs (I'm sure they bababooyed at some point) but was very nice.

Your right on re: Ricky. He's not the shortest on tour but he's close.

Have been to almost all Barclays and might again do Black this yr inside the ropes.

Ernie has lost a good bit of weight and shrank over the yrs. He's still got his heart in the right place & does great charity work. They're very nice people.

Your right on re: Ricky. He's not the shortest on tour but he's close.

Have been to almost all Barclays and might again do Black this yr inside the ropes.

Ernie has lost a good bit of weight and shrank over the yrs. He's still got his heart in the right place & does great charity work. They're very nice people.

Inside the ropes? Hook me up WRX friend!! PM me

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Scott is definitely taller than tiger. Easy to see when they're next to each other. He's at least 6'1 and maybe 6'2".

I've known Adam since we were both kids, I'm not quite 6'1 and I'm appreciably taller than him.

Was his swing always natural or did he work to get it where it is? This is what we need to know.

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Was his swing always natural or did he work to get it where it is? This is what we need to know.

It has changed a fair bit. When he was younger he was always the longest out of most of the top Queensland juniors but he was very wild off the tee. I'm no expert on swing mechanics but it is definitely "tighter" than what it used to be but I suppose you could put that down to getting stronger, he was very skinny as a kid and as he filled out it was only natural that there would be some changes. But he was very good from a very young age.

It has changed a fair bit. When he was younger he was always the longest out of most of the top Queensland juniors but he was very wild off the tee. I'm no expert on swing mechanics but it is definitely "tighter" than what it used to be but I suppose you could put that down to getting stronger, he was very skinny as a kid and as he filled out it was only natural that there would be some changes. But he was very good from a very young age.

Thank you. All of us golf nerds just want to know why we aren't tour level....

Did his swing change once tiger came on the scene? Just curious because his swing looks very similar to the 2001 swing we all love ???

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black