2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Just how tall are these guys again?

Golfnutgalen

I read somewhere else from an influential poster that tiger was only 5'10" and I'm thinking if that was the case maybe many of these guys are just exaggerating their height. It's a common thing to do and I've done it myself....Back in the day the tour website listed Tiger, Phil, and Vijay all at 6'2" and we all know that was wrong. Anyway, I wanted to find a photo of Jack and Tiger because they're listed as 3" apart, so here's a photo taken at the 2000 PGA:

golfworld-2014-07-gwsl-2000-pga-woods-singh.jpg

Now Jack is 60 in this pic, so he likely lost an inch from his prime (I read that the average is 1/4-1/2" per decade after 40). Does that look like 4 inches to you. or even more severe, supposedly 1" for Tiger vs Vijay? This is lighthearted I just thought it was interesting :taunt:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere else from an influential poster that tiger was only 5'10" and I'm thinking if that was the case maybe many of these guys are just exaggerating their height. It's a common thing to do and I've done it myself....Back in the day the tour website listed Tiger, Phil, and Vijay all at 6'2" and we all know that was wrong. Anyway, I wanted to find a photo of Jack and Tiger because they're listed as 3" apart, so here's a photo taken at the 2000 PGA:

golfworld-2014-07-gwsl-2000-pga-woods-singh.jpg

Now Jack is 60 in this pic, so he likely lost an inch from his prime (I read that the average is 1/4-1/2" per decade after 40). Does that look like 4 inches to you. or even more severe, supposedly 1" for Tiger vs Vijay? This is lighthearted I just thought it was interesting :taunt:

LOL. I see that picture and this from Caddyshack popped into my mind.

Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?

Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.

Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?

Ty Webb: By height. :D

Vijay is a legit 6'3. Saw him in person last year at the John Deere.

The guy who was taller than I thought? Jordan Spieth, he's probably 6'2 and watching tv I would have never though he was that tall.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

Tiger is 100% taller than 5'10". He's at least 6'.

With shoes on. :)

He is still a linebacker though. And you can see why Ernie & Vijay are the starting tackles on the pro golf football team in the Brooks Keopka - Impressive Dude thread. Jack kind of looks like a QB from the Sonny Jurgenson/Billy Kilmer days.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

Tiger is probably just a smidge over 6', but very small framed, Nicklaus nearly 5'11 in his prime though well under 5'10 at this point with age. Vijay is legit around 6'3.

Erie is a big dude, tall and big frame. So is Phil.

Nick Faldo was the biggest surprise when I first saw him in person. He's a really big guy, about 6'3, but like Els, big frame and projects larger for his height.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Having stood next to tiger for an entire round ( inside the ropes) a few years ago, If I were to put money on how tall he is...Id say 6 foot tops with shoes on..5'11 ish maybe

VJ is 6' 3" god only knows how tall he really is- he never seems to be standing straight up. Els is 6' 3 and big.

Rose, kuchar, bradley all seems to be about the same height of 6' 3"

I saw Tiger only once but I was standing right next to him for a few minutes while he was waiting to tee off. Watched him for years on TV and heard the announcers always talking about his NFL Safety or Linebacker body. I was pretty surprised by his actual size in person. I'm an athletic build 5'9" and he didn't seem much larger than me. He had a couple of inches on me for sure but I didn't feel like he was as big as I assumed from a muscular standpoint.

Tiger pushes 6',maybe, with shoes, and in all honesty was not as big as he has been portrayed. He just has wide shoulders and a tiny waist, his frame gives the illusion that it carries more weight than it really does. It could probably easily carry an NFL safety bodyweight (200lb+), but he is/was far from that even in his prime.

I've always read Tiger to be 6'1", but approximately 6' seems accurate. 185 lbs certainly isn't indicative of NFL potential.

He does have very broad, strong shoulders - and a small waist. That upside down triangle shaped torso does make him look more athletic and physically fit.

It's kind of funny (at 6'2 - 6'3 myself, 190lbs) to think about how small Rory and Rickie are :)

I've always thought Els, Kuchar, DJ, etc. were the tallest class on tour at around 6'3" each.

Yup, to my eye Vijay has to be at least 6'3" (rather than 6'2") and Tiger MAY be 6'. How about Michelle? I've heard the opposite that she may be taller than 6'1". Any truth in that?

Michelle is at least 6'1". I stood next to her for a while at the USWO last year. I'm 6' and had to be looking up at her the whole time to talk. Many of the ladies seem to downplay their height.

Tiger, he's a little over 6'. Stood next to him too and he had a little height on me, but not a big amount.

WITB 2015:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha, -1 D setting, Speeder 565 S
3WD: Cobra Biocell+ 12.5 degrees, Matrix Black tie
2HY: Cobra Biocell, 16.5D setting, Stock shaft
4/5i: Cobra Biocell, True Temper s+ shaft
6-PW: Biocell+, Dynamic Gold S200
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

These guys all liked that Woosie won the Masters.

ian-woosnam2-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Whenever I've seen professional athletes up close, in person, they seem to be on a larger scale. Bernhard Langer walked about three feet away from me. He's about my height (5'9"ish), but his head is enormous. They all seem to have huge heads (I mean literally huge, not Tiger huge).

:cheesy:

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

So all the guys that said Tiger is a linebacker are now.... where exactly? C'mon guys! Linebackers are not this small. :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I think in sports its common. I know in hockey weight and height is fairly inaccurate. especially weight seeing as they fluctuate so much but height is also exaggerated. I remember reading a few scouting reports which specifically pointed out how the stated player height was generous.

Most heights and weights are made up for pretty much anything other than boxing (even there the weight is a bit BS with all the cutting involved). You end up with various self reported numbers that could be 10 years out of date. And trying to figure out 1"differences with the eyeball is pretty useless given the differences slouching, shoes, and small surface differences can make.

That being said, I assume every 6'1 guy is really 6'.5 at best.

Yup, to my eye Vijay has to be at least 6'3" (rather than 6'2") and Tiger MAY be 6'. How about Michelle? I've heard the opposite that she may be taller than 6'1". Any truth in that?

Michelle is at least 6'1". I stood next to her for a while at the USWO last year. I'm 6' and had to be looking up at her the whole time to talk. Many of the ladies seem to downplay their height.

Tiger, he's a little over 6'. Stood next to him too and he had a little height on me, but not a big amount.

I'd say she is probably a little taller. I usually watxh her play a full round every year at the ANA. I'm 6 feet and she for sure had two inches on me.

I'd say she is probably a little taller. I usually watxh her play a full round every year at the ANA. I'm 6 feet and she for sure had two inches on me.

Taller than 6'1" for sure I ask met a few times and and had a picture taken.

When I saw Couples, Greg Norman and Arnie in person they were shorter than I had envisioned.

Always thought Norman was 6'2' but he can't be taller than 6', I think he is built a lot like Tiger, very athletic with broad shoulders and a thin waste,but not that tall. Couples can't be more than 5'10" and Arnie in his older age has shrunk to 5'8" by my estimation.

Jack used to be fairly tall at around 5'11" but I am guessing old age has shrunk him a good 2 inches.

It happens.

Vijay & Els are the two who seem taller than the listed 6'2" & 6'3". (Or else they are the two that don't fudge it a bit)

If Tiger is a linebacker then Ernie is an NBA center. :)

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Having stood next to tiger for an entire round ( inside the ropes) a few years ago, If I were to put money on how tall he is...Id say 6 foot tops with shoes on..5'11 ish maybe

VJ is 6' 3" god only knows how tall he really is- he never seems to be standing straight up. Els is 6' 3 and big.

Rose, kuchar, bradley all seems to be about the same height of 6' 3"

Why does VJ claim 6'2"? I think that is in slouch mode.

Vijay & Els are the two who seem taller than the listed 6'2" & 6'3". (Or else they are the two that don't fudge it a bit)

Vijay and Ernie are as listed, though Vijay is a shade taller than me and I'm 6'2" and Ernie was about an inch(they don't fudge it a bit :) )

I didn't see Vijay listed as 6'2" because I'd say maybe 6'3" and though I wasn't with them at the same time, Ernie was a tad taller than Vijay.

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24