2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tell me about the Bog, the Bull and Brown Deer

zer0

Looking for some new tracks to play on our upcoming Wisconsin trip. These are 3 that we've never played before.

I think I remember reading on here a lot of negative things about the Bog? Anyone confirm or deny that?

Rates are $145 for the Bull, but $95 if we play after 2:00. That 2:00 would work for us on the day everyone arrives since the guys touch down at 11:00 in Milwaukee.

Bog is $89 on weekdays and that is another option for us on the day they land.

Brown Deer looks to be about $90 to play.

SO how do you guys rate these 3 compared to each other? What about compared to other top courses in the state like the courses at Kohler or on the other end, Washington County.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the website at the Bull, they have a fantastic dew sweeper rate if you're willing or want to be the first couple of groups off. I played there a few times two years ago and absolutely loved it.

At the dewsweeper rate, the Bull is by far the best bang for your buck of all that you mentioned.

Forget about dewsweeper, that's never gonna happen. Not on my watch. What about paying $89 or full fare $105, is it worth it?

I've played The Bull and The Bog. I didn't care for The Bog. I played it two years ago, and wrote this:

"Color me unimpressed. I don't think I've ever seen a course with more wetlands, red stakes, and blind shots. In addition, it's relatively easy to run through the fairways on the doglegs. Overall the conditions were good, except for the washed out bunkers. I'm detecting a theme here. I guess paying $90 for a weekday afternoon round doesn't merit proper bunkers.

I've played over 300 courses, and I've never seen what I saw on the 9th hole. The fairway slants to the left, feeding balls into what can only be described as a gutter. There's a low channel that runs along the left side of the fairway, with mounding to the left. If your ball lands in the gutter, you're forced to stand on the mound and hit the ball 12 inches below your feet. Strangest thing I've ever seen."

The Bull is a tough Jack Nicklaus layout, and worth a visit.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I love Brown Deer. I think it is a really good challenge without relying on quirks to make it a challenge. Not the most imaginative layout, nor the most scenic, but a great round of golf. I am not a fan of The Bog. It is usually in very good shape, has a nice practice area, but it just feels contrived. The Bull is really good track. Number 18 is a beastly finishing hole. A course rarely mentioned here that I enjoy is Me-Kwon. Same general geography, not pricey and generally in good shape. It lacks a practice range.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Phred, I grew up playing MeeKwon! Decent muni, but short and mediocre layout. Always great shape.

Bog is contrived, many forced carries and blind shots. Bull and Brown Deer are really good. Near the Bog is Fire Ridge, which is a fine course, maybe a shade overpriced but better value than the Bog.

I really like Brown Deer and Washington County. Haven played The Bull, but many friends say it's great. I hate The Bog. Unfortunately, my brother in law likes it. I play there once or twice a year.

Besides Kohler and Erin Hills, which are really great, I hear Lawsonia is worth the trip. Zero plays there and always has goods things to say.

Agree w Bull, brown deer, fire ridge reviews above. I also thought the bog had too many weird/gimmicky holes & blind shots. If you can get further out west I'd also consider Morningstar & naga-waukee.

Agree with Morningstar. Another course near Morningstar is Broadlands which is also really good.

Nagawaukee is a beautiful and a fine layout. Due east, closer to Milwaukee is Wanaki, another Waukesha County course. Wanaki is a challenge, just not as scenic as "the Nag."

Looking for some new tracks to play on our upcoming Wisconsin trip. These are 3 that we've never played before.

I think I remember reading on here a lot of negative things about the Bog? Anyone confirm or deny that?

Rates are $145 for the Bull, but $95 if we play after 2:00. That 2:00 would work for us on the day everyone arrives since the guys touch down at 11:00 in Milwaukee.

Bog is $89 on weekdays and that is another option for us on the day they land.

Brown Deer looks to be about $90 to play.

SO how do you guys rate these 3 compared to each other? What about compared to other top courses in the state like the courses at Kohler or on the other end, Washington County.

Thanks in advance!

I have not played Brown Deer, but can comment on the other two. I would rate The Bull far, far ahead of the Bog. The Bull is one of the best public courses I have played. The first four holes are a little routine, but nicely conditioned. But starting on 5, you exit a subdivision and start playing in and out of fields, up and down hills and ravines and cutting thru the wilderness. What a fun course to play. I played in 2014 at 3pm and got a $59 rate. Just a fun course to play. I enjoyed this course more than The Irish (at Whistling Straits).

As for The Bog...anything over $75 is getting robbed.

I really liked the Bull every time I had the chance to play it. The Bog is very nice but does have some blind holes. Washington County, Fire Ridge, and Morningstar are all excellent courses as well. Can't go wrong with any of them.

WITB:

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Driver Tour AD DI 6X  44 3/4" C-4 Setting, Titleist TSR3 16.5 Degree 4 Wood Tour AD DI 7X 43" C-4 Setting, Titleist TSR2 21 Degree 7 Wood Tour AD DI 7X 42" C-4 Setting, Titleist TSR1 24 Degree Hybrid Atmos Blue 8S 39" B-1 Setting, Titleist TSR1 27 Degree Hybrid Atmos Blue 8S 38 1/2" B-1 Setting, Titleist TSR1 30 Degree Hybrid Atmos Blue 8S 38" B-1 Setting, Titleist T200 7-PW, AW Irons True Temper AMT White S300 Standard Length 2 Degrees Flat, Vokey SM8 Brushed Steel 53-07, 57-07 Dynamic Gold S400 Standard Length 2 Degrees Flat, Yes! Two Mallet by Jerry Korte Putter 33" Winn Pro X 1.60 Putter Grip, Pro V1X #44, Titleist Player 4 Stand Bag, Lamkin Crossline Midsize Grips

Just got back from visiting friends in MKE and we played Washington County and drive down to Chicago to play Dubsdread. Played the Bull and Brown Deer last year when I went out. I really like Washington County...Bull is awesome but I love the country club layout of Brown Deer. All in all you can't go wrong.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

So our trip is shaping up nice.

Day 1: The Bull

Day 2: Straits

Day 3: 36 at Lawsonia

Day 4: ????

Need a course for day 4 with the only caveat being that my friends have a 7 pm flight out of Milwaukee. We'll be coming from Green Lake. Wanted to do Brown Deer, but they are closed for an outing.

Have already played Wash County a bunch of times, but would go back if that was the best option.

What about Morningstar? I read mixed things here, usually saying things like good layout, suspect conditioning.

Any other suggestions?

Never played it but I was eye balling a trip to Wisconsin next summer for golf and ran across university ridge. Gets great reviews and looks real nice. Not sure if that is too far from Milwaukee but just thought I would mention it.

http://universityridge.com/

Great course in Madison, played it a few years ago, definitely out of the way in terms of Green Lake to Milwaukee.

So our trip is shaping up nice.

Day 1: The Bull

Day 2: Straits

Day 3: 36 at Lawsonia

Day 4: ????

Need a course for day 4 with the only caveat being that my friends have a 7 pm flight out of Milwaukee. We'll be coming from Green Lake. Wanted to do Brown Deer, but they are closed for an outing.

Have already played Wash County a bunch of times, but would go back if that was the best option.

What about Morningstar? I read mixed things here, usually saying things like good layout, suspect conditioning.

Any other suggestions?

The parts of Morningstar that get ratty are more scenic than actual playing surface. Example: The steep fronts of many elevated tees get barren. Aesthetically pleasing if kept lush with grass, but they aren't in the upper tier of Wisconsin courses, yet. Solid track. Your choice if airport access is a concern.

I would also recommend Nagawaukee out in Delafield. Waukesha County version of Washington County. Not links, more parkland with great views and elevation.

OP sounds like you have a good trip set up, inspired me to set up a trip of my own.

Headed to the Bull have a 7:40 tee time on a Saturday, driving up from Chicago and looking for a good option to play 36. I noticed a lot of the courses here are a little out of the way for a day trip. What would everyone's suggestion would be for a course we could hit for an afternoon 18 either near the Bull or on the way back to Chicago. Any input is greatly appreciated!

The most obvious choices near the Bull would be any of the four Kohler courses.

About a half hour south of the Bull down I-43 are Fire Ridge or The Bog. About an hour south of the Bull is Brown Deer.

+1, if your going to The Bull, I would play the Irish Course, or the River if you really want to splurge.

For those who have experienced both. If you were doing a day trip would you drive to Lawsonia and play both courses or do the bull and another course that is close. I am driving up from Chicago and playing 36 either way.

Thanks

Oooh, that's tough. I know what zer0 will say, and I'd have to agree with him. Lawsonia. The Bull is an excellent course, but Lawsonia Links is fantastic, and the Woodlands course is no slouch.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

For those who have experienced both. If you were doing a day trip would you drive to Lawsonia and play both courses or do the bull and another course that is close. I am driving up from Chicago and playing 36 either way.

Thanks

Oooh, that's tough. I know what zer0 will say, and I'd have to agree with him. Lawsonia. The Bull is an excellent course, but Lawsonia Links is fantastic, and the Woodlands course is no slouch.

Yep, I'm a well known Lawsonia shill on this board and in my biased opinion definitely hit up Lawsonia. Best course of the bunch (links), best deal ($145 to play all day with a cart) and you don't have to drive anywhere to get to your second course. I would recommend getting up the night before so you can get there bright and early to start your all day pass. Last Saturday we started at 9:30 cause of rain and still got in 42 holes witha stop for lunch.