2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golfing by yourself ?

Playing as a single isn't an issue. Most public courses like using singles to fill the tee slots with only 2-3 golfers in them.

One course I played had a d-bag starter that hated singles. He somehow thought that single walkers screw up everything. I'd book a 9am tee time and he'd force me to wait for the 9:30 4some and make us play as 5some. Of course we get glared at by all the 2 and 3somes he sent out after us.

I hope it was the only time you played that course, unless you were part of a multi-some.

Then again, is this for real, or is this a passive troll, since you made it a point to ad "d-bag"?

If it is, it worked, I took a nibble! LMAO

I played that course pretty often. It's only $17 to walk 18 holes in the afternoon and 15-20 mins away from my apartment.

I haven't seen that starter since, so I imagine I'm not the only one that complained about him. It just makes no sense to force 5 people to play a 5 hour round when I could've teed off and caught up with a smaller group a few holes out.

From experience, especially when I am known to them, that's how most courses roll.

In your OP, you omitted the starter's departure. Hence, my nibble and reply.

Short of living on the Course, you have the perfect set up.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my rounds are as a single. It's too hard to try and coordinate with others if you want to play at different times. Just walk up to the proshop and they will pair you up, or send u off as a single. I enjoy both playing with strangers or by myself. I am also in a regular group that plays every Sunday morning, which is a lot of fun ($5 betting game)

What a strange, strange day. It started when I violated my #1 rule, don't go to a course that won't give you a tee time. I called a local course early in the morning, and the recorded message said "walking only". I transferred to the pro shop, and a voice I didn't recognize answered the phone. Normally they'll give me a tee time if I call the morning of the round, but the person said that they just made the no-carts decision, and that they expect half the regulars to bail. I asked if they could guarantee a time, but he said no, as the tee sheet is full. Apparently the regulars get a raincheck if they don't show, and they don't have to call and cancel. OK, I'll take his word for it.

Of course I show up and it's steady foursomes. Finally a foursome fails to show, but I don't want to go out as a single wedged among the groups. I wait to see if a partial group shows up, but then two more foursomes show up. Ugh. If I want to play, it appears that I'll have to slot in between the groups. 'Not looking good.

Lol. I've never played that deliberately slow in my life. It bordered on painful. I felt like Kevin Na out there. Walk slow. Full blown pre-shot routine. Fix my divot. Fix 3 other divots. Line up putts four different ways. Plumb-bob. Fix ball marks. Clean grooves. Look for balls in the bushes and ponds. Chip and putt after holing out.

I didn't want to pressure the group in front of me, so I had at least an extra half hole between us. I was teeing off when they were walking off the green. The group behind me was keeping a good pace, and I left the green just as they were walking up to their balls in the fairway. Basically, it felt like I had the course to myself, as I wasn't waiting on anybody, and nobody was waiting on my "group".

Funny thing is that I had a great round. I didn't rush a single shot, and had an excellent day ball-striking with 10 fairways and 12 greens. At times I felt like time was slowing down.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I joined a club earlier this summer that fortunately doesn't see much play at all. I can go out after work as a single and play in 2 hours, usually without seeing more than one other group. Then on weekends, I play in the dogfight. The vast majority of play on weekends is relegated to the dogfight, so playing before or later in the afternoon when they're done means you can still play as a single and never have to play through or wait on anyone.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

What a strange, strange day. It started when I violated my #1 rule, don't go to a course that won't give you a tee time. I called a local course early in the morning, and the recorded message said "walking only". I transferred to the pro shop, and a voice I didn't recognize answered the phone. Normally they'll give me a tee time if I call the morning of the round, but the person said that they just made the no-carts decision, and that they expect half the regulars to bail. I asked if they could guarantee a time, but he said no, as the tee sheet is full. Apparently the regulars get a raincheck if they don't show, and they don't have to call and cancel. OK, I'll take his word for it.

Of course I show up and it's steady foursomes. Finally a foursome fails to show, but I don't want to go out as a single wedged among the groups. I wait to see if a partial group shows up, but then two more foursomes show up. Ugh. If I want to play, it appears that I'll have to slot in between the groups. 'Not looking good.

Lol. I've never played that deliberately slow in my life. It bordered on painful. I felt like Kevin Na out there. Walk slow. Full blown pre-shot routine. Fix my divot. Fix 3 other divots. Line up putts four different ways. Plumb-bob. Fix ball marks. Clean grooves. Look for balls in the bushes and ponds. Chip and putt after holing out.

I didn't want to pressure the group in front of me, so I had at least an extra half hole between us. I was teeing off when they were walking off the green. The group behind me was keeping a good pace, and I left the green just as they were walking up to their balls in the fairway. Basically, it felt like I had the course to myself, as I wasn't waiting on anybody, and nobody was waiting on my "group".

Funny thing is that I had a great round. I didn't rush a single shot, and had an excellent day ball-striking with 10 fairways and 12 greens. At times I felt like time was slowing down.

My intention was to give you a LIKE and I hit the wrong button.

So, here goes.

Being a walk-on has it's pro's and con's. You've hit the Jackpot. As a bonus, you found the *your zone* in a sea of expected deceptions.

Congrats on the Great Round.

Saturdays i play with freinds at the course, on Sunday's i usually play as a single. I dont mind at all playing as a single.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I love playing solo. I usually go in the early afternoon and often can get out without getting paired up with some randoms. That's the only downside I can see, sometimes you get paired with less than desirable partners and if that happens I usually either try and play through them if the course isn't busy or just go home. That's only happened a handful of times.

Another tip is to ask if you can start off the back 9 and often that allows you to play alone and avoid the nonsense.

I love going out by myself. I seek out courses, and time frames where its empty and i have a great chance of getting out there solo as im trying to dial in my game, and get consistent.

I find when i join groups of others, they don't want to play at the speed i'm playing. Hitting every shot, and putt, trying to establish accurate scores/hdcp.

With that said, joining another person or group as a single, i prefer to do on lighter days at the course. You usually get people who are looking for the same thing. To play some good, peaceful, good paced golf.

Sim2 Max (9 Deg) w Hzrdous Smoke RDX 6.0 70g
-----------------------------
Sim2 Max 3 wood | Hzrdous Blue RDX 6.0
Sim2 Max 5 wood | Ventus Blue  

Titliest T 200 4 iron AMT Black S300
Titliest T150 5-PW AMT Black S300
TM P790 4-PW Modus 120s
TM MG2 54/58 wedges - Modus 130
SC Newport 2 / SC Phantom X 9.5

I will join up with a group from time to time. Once on July 4th, I wanted to play and my normal group was unavailable so I went to the course expecting to get paired up. I did, with two women, and one other their husband's. Everyone was just playing 9 and on the the 9th, one of the women said to me "I hope we didn't slow you down." I asked her, "Did you have a good time?" She said "Yes." I said "Then you have nothing to worry about."

We finished right about 2 hours, I shot 42 they probably didn't break 55.

You do know that all of you "solo" players, and maybe some of the singles as well, are all low-down, lying, sandbagging, cheating scum that have no business on a golf course and maybe not even on Earth.

This is just to paraphrase the USGA.

Pretty strong words for a fellow with a Top Flight avatar! And some times those of the golf world wonder why participation is not growing exponentially...

Are these rules or etiquette? Are the rules posted at the club house informing all on the course? Do the guys in charge of the tee sheets screen for singles & twosomes, do they take names and pair to at least threesomes, or do they look for volume on the course? Do the marshals on the course monitor play & ask slower groups to speed it up? Do all course employees encourage courtesy or is it every man for themselves? Are questions allowed of fellow players such as "who made you boss of course today," or "I will call the club house if you guys don't play faster or allow us to play through, what are going to do?"

As an argument escalated recently about allowing singles & twosomes to play through our foursome, some of questions above were asked. What is wrong with allowing faster moving players through if there is room? What is incorrect about being the nice guys on the course and let them through?

You do know that all of you "solo" players, and maybe some of the singles as well, are all low-down, lying, sandbagging, cheating scum that have no business on a golf course and maybe not even on Earth.

This is just to paraphrase the USGA.

Pretty strong words for a fellow with a Top Flight avatar! And some times those of the golf world wonder why participation is not growing exponentially...

Are these rules or etiquette? Are the rules posted at the club house informing all on the course? Do the guys in charge of the tee sheets screen for singles & twosomes, do they take names and pair to at least threesomes, or do they look for volume on the course? Do the marshals on the course monitor play & ask slower groups to speed it up? Do all course employees encourage courtesy or is it every man for themselves? Are questions allowed of fellow players such as "who made you boss of course today," or "I will call the club house if you guys don't play faster or allow us to play through, what are going to do?"

As an argument escalated recently about allowing singles & twosomes to play through our foursome, some of questions above were asked. What is wrong with allowing faster moving players through if there is room? What is incorrect about being the nice guys on the course and let them through?

Was there really a land bridge from Asia to N America? Are viruses alive? Did ancient aliens initiate the proliferation of agriculture, art, and engineering? What do you do if someone violates the zipper merge protocol in heavy traffic?

All these questions....

I can't stand playing more than 9 holes by myself except during our family yearly trip to Mississippi, this when I test my game out for the year. There is no pressure and scores aren't worth anything.

I enjoy playing with my friends who are good golfers and in competition. I also enjoy playing with strangers or members over the age of 50 who love to watch me whale on the ball. It reminds them of their youth and they enjoy it

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I solo'ed last evening at my club. I hadn't played in nearly a week and wanted to get out and hit some shots on the course with an upcoming 4-day trip looming.

Monday's are outside tourney days ay my club so I wasn't going to be able to play until 5:00PM. As (bad) luck would have it, a t-storm rolled in about 4:15 and I wasn't able to hit the 1st tee until 5:30PM. I hopped in a cart and got 13 holes in by 7PM. I was the only person on the course.

I like to play solo. It allows me to practice real shots on the golf course in a time efficient manner.

I solo'ed last evening at my club. I hadn't played in nearly a week and wanted to get out and hit some shots on the course with an upcoming 4-day trip looming.

Monday's are outside tourney days ay my club so I wasn't going to be able to play until 5:00PM. As (bad) luck would have it, a t-storm rolled in about 4:15 and I wasn't able to hit the 1st tee until 5:30PM. I hopped in a cart and got 13 holes in by 7PM. I was the only person on the course.

I like to play solo. It allows me to practice real shots on the golf course in a time efficient manner.

Agree,

IMO, once you get to a decent level of identifying your flaws, there are too many shots/situations that you cannot practice on any range.

As a high single hdc, I have yet to see any advantages practicing with someone else...Unless he/she is there as a coach, only.

As long as I'm out hacking golfing, it doesn't matter if I'm paired up or solo. I'm out to enjoy the time and if I'm solo, I get to drop extra balls for extra practice. I once heard that if you want to see what your current potential best score is, play best ball with at least 2 balls every shot. it's good fun getting that second chance. lol

I used to travel a lot for work and have played as a single a lot, sometimes being paired up and sometime playing alone depending

on how busy the course is. I always tried to call ahead and explained I was a single and could they get me out on their course to find

out their policy. Unless they had leagues or an event it usually worked with minimal delay. I have played with a lot of very nice people

and very few that had poor dispositions. I have found that many people have a preconceived idea of what kind of golfer I will be based

on appearance and usually fool them. Yesterday was a perfect example.

I showed up at the local 9 hole course and since I had been there before knew their policy. The course was busy and the guy in the

shop said they were pretty full but he has some twosomes and threesomes coming up and would try to pair me up. So he pairs me

up with three guys in their late 20's or early 30's. I can tell they are not to keen on the idea when one of them tells me that it will be

ok as long as I understand that they play fast. I just replied that since it was busy we can only play as fast as the people in front of

us so it should work. On the way to the first tee the young man driving our cart tells me the always play the blue tees (3250 yds) but

it's fine if I want to play the whites (3040). I tell him it's ok I can play from the blues. I think he based this on my age (65), and being overweight (6' 1" and 255). They crank up on number 1 and one hits a big slice over the trees into 5 fairway, one goes left and one

hits it in the fairway. So now this old, fat guy, in a wide brimmed Tilley hat pulls out his Callaway Chrome soft yellow and black Truvis

and tees it up. I hear two of them snicker when I put it on the tee, then line up and hit my drive 235 down the middle of the fairway.

We look for their balls, they hack down the fairway and when we get to my ball I hit my 7 iron to about 15 feet. When we get to the

green the three of them grab their putters and one asks where my ball is? I reply, "there, just to the right of the pin". So now we start

looking for a ball cause one guy doesn't know where he is. They finish and I have two putted for par. Hole 2 is a bit of a repeat and

when we tee it up on 3 I see the group ahead walking off the tee and wonder if I should mention to these "fast" golfers if we should

maybe pick up the pace, but decide to just stay silent. After I hit my drive on three they finally figure out that I'm maybe better than

average golfer and get quite friendly and we have a very enjoyable round of golf. A couple of them even asked for some advice and

I just tell them my stock answer to that and explain that my game got a lot better when I quit playing softball, took some lessons, and

invested in a driving range pass, and that I knew a little about my swing but not enough about it to be able to give others advice.

[i][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000080][b]"People in a hurry, shouldn't play golf"[/b][/color][/size][/font][/i]

[color=#000080][size=2]Ping G400 9.5[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 5 Woods[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3, 4 Hybrids
Mizuno JPX 850 4 - PW, G, SW[/size]
[size=2]Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser 38"[/size][/color]
[color=#000080][size=2]Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black[/size]
[size=2]Bat Caddy X4r[/size][/color]

I get bank vacation days and not all of my golfing buddies can get away from work. so it's usually a few times out of the year i will play as a single. not often paired up but my single rounds usually suck. for some reason i think i try to hard and have my worse rounds. i shot a 95 earlier in the year.....95!!! I'm usually a high 70's low 80's shooter.......95!!!!

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec