2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Aggressive Putting?

chrismikayla

Haha you're hilarious. How am I proven wrong? And I know plenty of physics. Geoff said exactly what I did but worded it differently. He admits uphill putts are slower and have a quicker rate of decay. Meaning a putt rolling at 2RPS would NOT roll 1' past the hole on an uphill putt. Guess what? 2RPS will only roll 1' past the hole on ONE specific green speed. On a green rolling at 6 on the stimp meter it'd roll 7-8" past the hole and on a green running 14 itd run about 18" past the hole. Those are two very different distances for a ball traveling at the same 2RPS. He is saying you need to hit it harder on slower putts due to more surface irregularities while neglecting the fact that it shrinks the hole by 70%. So yes more speed would make it roll smoother but smoother would still make fewer putts due to a 70% smaller margin of error. If a robot is putting and you could ensure a perfect putt, sure hit it harder. The 70% smaller hole is a non issue for a robot. It's a MASSIVE issue for humans in the real world and harder will result in a lot of balls the lip out vs lip in.

My comments are 100% based on facts and physics. I just draw different opinions on those facts.

Geoffs reasoning is that ams don't have enough touch to control a capture speed of 6-12" without leaving some short. So his optimal distance past the hole is based on NEVER leaving on short and trying to factor in skill of most putters. Even he admits top putters can control a pace of 12" past the hole on fast greens which would result in shortest putt 0" past the hole and longest one 24" past the hole and none short. But his ideal is based on never leaving one short, but he's doing it at the expense of lipping out some putts (which is same result as leaving it short) and longer come backers. I'm of the opinion that everyone will miss some short and rather miss a few short while having putts lip in and having shorter come backers. Like I said before 17" is a good rule of thumb on slightly faster than average greens (9-10). On slower greens I'd use more like 12" and on really fast greens is expect more like 24". And I'm bet Geoff wouldn't think I'm too off on those. We'd just disagree about ramming uphill putts to compensate for ground irregularities

According to Broadie (while he doesn't have GolfWrx "fame" he is the the strokes gained guy that wrote "Every Shot Counts"):

• On 4-foot downhill putts
    • PGA Tour pros hit the ball with an average speed that goes 1.9 feet past the hole on relatively flat greens
    • PGA Tour pros hit the ball with an average speed that goes 2.2 feet past the hole on moderately sloped greens
    • PGA Tour pros hit the ball with an average speed that goes 2.5 feet past the hole on steeply sloped greens

[*]On 4-foot uphill putts, PGA Tour pros

• PGA Tour pros hit the ball with an average speed that goes 1.4 feet past the hole on relatively flat greens
    • PGA Tour pros hit the ball with an average speed that goes 1.2 feet past the hole on moderately sloped greens
    • PGA Tour pros hit the ball with an average speed that goes 1.0 feet past the hole on steeply sloped greens

[*]Pros leave only about 1% of 4-foot putts short. If they used a target for downhill putts of only 1 foot past the hole, they would leave 6%-7% short - a dramatic difference in performance

[*]The target should change depending on distance from the hole

• Shorter putts (3-12 feet) should be hit 1 to 2.5 feet beyond the hole
    • Longer putts should change the target to be closer to the hole the further away the putt gets

Broadie has a chart in his book on the Pros target distance to the hole based on how far away they are.

Summary:

• From 4 feet the target range is from 1.2 to 2.2 feet past the hole (closer for uphill and farther for downhill)
  • From 8 feet the target range is from about 1.0 to 2.0 feet past the hole (closer for uphill and farther for downhill)
  • From 16 feet the target range is from about 0.7 to 1.5 feet past the hole (closer for uphill and farther for downhill)
  • From 32 feet the target range is from about 0.0 to 1.0 feet past the hole (closer for uphill and farther for downhill)

This is how PGA tour pros putt, and they are as a collective group the best putters in the world.

Perhaps iTeach knows something that they don't know.

If you do - you should start teaching putting to a few of the Tour Pros and parlay massive success into a book deal and a TV show instead of wasting your time passionately discussing topics like this with hack amateur idiots like me.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG guys.

This is about having funny and sharing help and tips. Chill out. Most of this is just utter nonsense anyway for us amateurs - I putt pretty well, but sometimes its short, sometimes its SLAMMED in the front of the hole, sometimes its an inch past, other times its miles past - all in all I was just trying to putt it in the cup.

We all know that it cant go in if short

We all know it "probably" wont go in if its racing at the hole at a pace/speed/velocity enough to take it 10/20/30 feet bye.

We all know that it has a decent chance of dropping if its likely to come to rest within gimmie range beyond the hole.

I love the stats and the data, but sometimes man, just putt the dam ball.

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Haha you're hilarious. How am I proven wrong? And I know plenty of physics. Geoff said exactly what I did but worded it differently. He admits uphill putts are slower and have a quicker rate of decay. Meaning a putt rolling at 2RPS would NOT roll 1' past the hole on an uphill putt. Guess what? 2RPS will only roll 1' past the hole on ONE specific green speed. On a green rolling at 6 on the stimp meter it'd roll 7-8" past the hole and on a green running 14 itd run about 18" past the hole. Those are two very different distances for a ball traveling at the same 2RPS. He is saying you need to hit it harder on slower putts due to more surface irregularities while neglecting the fact that it shrinks the hole by 70%. So yes more speed would make it roll smoother but smoother would still make fewer putts due to a 70% smaller margin of error. If a robot is putting and you could ensure a perfect putt, sure hit it harder. The 70% smaller hole is a non issue for a robot. It's a MASSIVE issue for humans in the real world and harder will result in a lot of balls the lip out vs lip in.

My comments are 100% based on facts and physics. I just draw different opinions on those facts.

Geoffs reasoning is that ams don't have enough touch to control a capture speed of 6-12" without leaving some short. So his optimal distance past the hole is based on NEVER leaving on short and trying to factor in skill of most putters. Even he admits top putters can control a pace of 12" past the hole on fast greens which would result in shortest putt 0" past the hole and longest one 24" past the hole and none short. But his ideal is based on never leaving one short, but he's doing it at the expense of lipping out some putts (which is same result as leaving it short) and longer come backers. I'm of the opinion that everyone will miss some short and rather miss a few short while having putts lip in and having shorter come backers. Like I said before 17" is a good rule of thumb on slightly faster than average greens (9-10). On slower greens I'd use more like 12" and on really fast greens is expect more like 24". And I'm bet Geoff wouldn't think I'm too off on those. We'd just disagree about ramming uphill putts to compensate for ground irregularities

According to Broadie (while he doesn't have GolfWrx "fame" he is the the strokes gained guy that wrote "Every Shot Counts"):

• PGA Tour pros hit the ball with an average speed that goes 1.9 feet past the hole on relatively flat greens
    • PGA Tour pros hit the ball with an average speed that goes 2.2 feet past the hole on moderately sloped greens
    • PGA Tour pros hit the ball with an average speed that goes 2.5 feet past the hole on steeply sloped greens

• PGA Tour pros hit the ball with an average speed that goes 1.4 feet past the hole on relatively flat greens
    • PGA Tour pros hit the ball with an average speed that goes 1.2 feet past the hole on moderately sloped greens
    • PGA Tour pros hit the ball with an average speed that goes 1.0 feet past the hole on steeply sloped greens

[*]Pros leave only about 1% of 4-foot putts short. If they used a target for downhill putts of only 1 foot past the hole, they would leave 6%-7% short - a dramatic difference in performance

• Longer putts should change the target to be closer to the hole the further away the putt gets

Broadie has a chart in his book on the Pros target distance to the hole based on how far away they are.

Summary:

• From 4 feet the target range is from 1.2 to 2.2 feet past the hole (closer for uphill and farther for downhill)
  • From 8 feet the target range is from about 1.0 to 2.0 feet past the hole (closer for uphill and farther for downhill)
  • From 16 feet the target range is from about 0.7 to 1.5 feet past the hole (closer for uphill and farther for downhill)
  • From 32 feet the target range is from about 0.0 to 1.0 feet past the hole (closer for uphill and farther for downhill)

This is how PGA tour pros putt, and they are as a collective group the best putters in the world.

If you do - you should start teaching putting to a few of the Tour Pros and parlay massive success into a book deal and a TV show instead of wasting your time passionately discussing topics like this with hack amateur idiots like me.

How does that disagree with what I said? It backs up me and goes against Geoff Mangum who said uphill putts should be hit harder so they roll out the same distance as flat putts. I literally said on fast greens the number should be closer to 24" and that 12" is on slow greens or very slow putts, meaning significantly uphill. Broadie's research does support and back up everything I posted, almost to the exact numbers I posted.

PS I do teach putting to PGA tour players.

OMG guys.

This is about having funny and sharing help and tips. Chill out. Most of this is just utter nonsense anyway for us amateurs - I putt pretty well, but sometimes its short, sometimes its SLAMMED in the front of the hole, sometimes its an inch past, other times its miles past - all in all I was just trying to putt it in the cup.

We all know it "probably" wont go in if its racing at the hole at a pace/speed/velocity enough to take it 10/20/30 feet bye.

We all know that it has a decent chance of dropping if its likely to come to rest within gimmie range beyond the hole.

How small the hole gets if you roll it 5' by. Basically nothing will go in

OMG guys.

How small the hole gets if you roll it 5' by. Basically nothing will go in

[media=]

[/media]

Holy crap

Summary:

How does that disagree with what I said? It backs up me and goes against Geoff Mangum who said uphill putts should be hit harder so they roll out the same distance as flat putts. I literally said on fast greens the number should be closer to 24" and that 12" is on slow greens or very slow putts, meaning significantly uphill. Broadie's research does support and back up everything I posted, almost to the exact numbers I posted.

:cheesy:

Summary:

Yah I'm confused. The stats pretty much support exactly what Dan has been saying.

i think we can all generalize that if a putt comes up short it can't go in. i think the op is speaking in terms of aggression and risk reward.

think of it this way. yes we all know its ideal to leave the ball 16" past the hole. the problem is not many are perfect with our speed. that is simply a goal. some are better and some are worse in speed control. if you took a 20' putt on each green trying for that 1.5' past the hole, what is your margin of error short and long? say 6'. so 3' short and 3' long of intended stop point.

knowing this, if you get aggressive as the op mentions saying you absolutely can't leave this short, you'd end up having putts range from 6" past hole to 6.5' past the hole given your 6' margin of error. knowing this, is the possibility of 6.5' past the hole better knowing you will get all of your putts to the hole?

is being more aggressive and getting more putts to the hole worth the risk of hitting some putts outside of the 5' range, or are you better off leaving some short yet keeping everything inside of 3'?

i think i remember hank haney refering tiger's putting and criticizing his lag putting saying he was too aggressive and hit too many putts too far past the hole which led to more 3 putts than he should be hitting. he made a lot of long putts, but over the course of a tournament, he'd end up losing strokes on the long putts because he'd 3 putt more than he'd make when being aggressive on the long putts.

in my opinion this is what it boils down too. whats your margin of error, and do you move it farther past the hole in hopes to get more putts to the hole with a possible make knowing that you could go longer and miss the return putt.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

I think Pelz's point was that a ball that dies in the hole can get thrown off line easier than one that has a little more speed. I've recently have put this into practice and am very pleased with the results. I'm making more putts. Sometimes getting a little more aggressive can help. For me, I simple wasn't hitting my short putts firm enough.

I have a question for you guys, particularly the low handicaps. Are you ok with running putts a few feet by the hole? I feel I leave birdies and par saves by trying to let putts die in the hole. I want to avoid three putts by going too far past. Do you think I should putt more aggressive to make more birdies? What's your approach and what are some good drills to practice.

I tend to visualize a hole when I try to drain a putt. This would be my aggressive mode. If I want to drop the ball into the cup then I have to adjust my head and eyeline such that I see more of a "cup" with a bottom rather than a "bottomless hole" For me that means me eyes and head are more open and bent down

Aggressive putters tend to 1 putt more but also 3 putt more. Lag putters tend to 1 putt less but 3 putt less as well. I will say though, this is not the rule because there are exceptions like Ben Crenshaw but, most of the all time greats were aggressive putters. You always notice good putters make the ball track to the hole with authority and conviction. It usually doesn't sputter to the hole and die around it.

I think Pelz's point was that a ball that dies in the hole can get thrown off line easier than one that has a little more speed. I've recently have put this into practice and am very pleased with the results. I'm making more putts. Sometimes getting a little more aggressive can help. For me, I simple wasn't hitting my short putts firm enough.

Yes i think everyone can agree that the hole is bigger if the ball speed is dying around the cup but surely this is only one part of the overall equation. And if you look at that in isolation then there is only one way too putt. But how much more is a putt sent offline with green imperfections , the grain or wind etc because of lack of speed against a ball travelling a little faster. very hard to quantify i would suggest.

I find it fascinating that stickner is asking for "scientific studies," but can't seem to comprehend and acknowledge a well-reasoned argument built on basic physical principles.

It doesn't take a peer-reviewed study to understand that the proper speed at the hole maximizes the chance of the putt dropping, and that the distance past the hole at that proper speed will vary based on the speed of the green (as a result of slope or stimp).

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

As green speeds get faster and faster, has putting actually improved or gotten worse? The Open greens looked much slower than some other tournaments, yet only two guys really took over. As for this topic, others have mentioned the ideal speed will change depending on many factors. On slow greens going up hill, 17 inches past is going way too fast. And on down hill putts on super fast yet bumpy greens (at the end of the day) die it in speed will never keep the ball on line. Good putters read the speed needed as well as the breaks, it's all part of the game...

Virtually nobody in golf is doing bonafide peer reviewed research that would stand up to scientific research paper standards. Plenty have done test and a bunch of the top guys have come to nearly identical conclusions. Your looking for/demanding something that simply doesn't exist.

Who is taking extremely uphill or extremely slow? I'm talking 3-4% uphill putts on greens rolling 8-9 on the stimp. Which occurs very often and is about the average speed of most greens across the country. Far more golf course have greens running at 7 than 11-12. Unless you play flat greens you experience slopes in the 3-4% range and likely have played plenty of courses in the 8 stimp range

All I am saying is that:

• I mentioned Pelz said a good rule is to hit the ball with a speed that will take it 17 inches past the hole
  • Both you and Richiehunt indicated on a slow green that is way too fast
  • RichieHunt provided his reference on this topic to be Geoff Mangum
  • On Geoff's website he indicated that a slow putt should be traveling at least at a speed that will take it up to 24 inches past the cup

What you have picked from Geoff's website does not reflect his in depth thoughts on optimal delivery speed. He has a good section concerning optimal delivery speed in Chapter 3 of his book "Optimal Putting". Part of his discussion is based on the path of the ball across the hole and the ball's drop rate:

"A more sensible approach is to consider the “safety” of delivery

speeds along shorter paths out to the side of the hole

where the transit path is half as long as centercut. If the

centercut path across the standard hole is 4.25”, one-half

this is 2.125”. Centering two of these shorter segments at the

center of the hole aligned front to back and then sliding them

left and right until the end points match up with the circular

perimeter of the hole or rim, the distance from the center of

the hole out to the middle of these segments is 1.86” so the

diameter left-right of this wider half-across hole is 3.72” compared

to the full hole width of 4.25”. So the half-across hole is

an ample 87% of the full hole’s width, available for capturing

rolling balls.

Because the path is halved, the time for dropping is halved

as well, so the balls only drop half as far as they did when

centercut, dropping as if they are doubled their centercut

speed. At this half-across path, a 4 rps ball acts like an 8 rps

ball, impacting above the cup liner (not safe). The 3 rps ball

acts like the 6 rps ball and impacts the back wall somewhat

high (risky). The 2 rps ball, however, is no worse than the

centercut 4 rps ball, and still dives deep to the bottom of the

wall even this far off to the side of centercut. The clear message

of reality is that 2 rps is optimal, with errors trending no

higher than 3 rps."

As to scientific studies of ball capture by the hole, Mangum cites:

Holmes, Brian W. (1991) Putting: How a golf ball and hole interact, Am. J. Physics 59(2) Feb 1991, 129-136

Mahoney, J.F. (1982) Theoretical analysis of aggressive golf putts, Res. Q. for Exercise & Sport, 53(2) Mar 1982, 165-171

Penner, A.R. (2002). The physics of putting, Canadian J. of Physics, 80(2) Feb 2002, 83-96(14)

The whole book is a worthwhile read.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Another quote from Geoff Mangum’s PuttingZone, p. 44 and 45:

"The usual objection to teaching delivery speed is that “golfers don’t relate to this” and instead understand much better the distance that a ball rolls past in the case of a miss. This, of course, is nonsense. The distance the ball rolls past the hole is not directly related to the physics reality of ball capture, and the same delivery speed for optimal capture rolls different distances past the hole depending upon that day’s green speed, differences in the speed of one green versus others in the same round, and whether there is any uphill or downhill involved."

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

While we are on a Geoff M push, he has a very specific article on putting from 10 feet and in, "Ten-and-In.pdf". It is 50 pages directly addressing how to deal with the money putts. Google it, another worthwhile read.

Excellent article NG!!

Thanks Bro :)

Here's another distance drill...

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/wearner-putting-drill-help-distance/?cid=Email_TuesdayNL_20160913

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24