2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SRIXON 765 Initial thoughts and pics!

mtex22

@xjohnx

Yeah I agree oxymoro!, they are certainly not cavity back irons in the true sense. The 745/765 to certainly more a muscle back design, like the MP66, Bridgestone J40 & X-CB, Tour Pride M2s or TM R9 Forged. Either way the most important thing is you enjoy playing with the clubs!

Yeah I see it, I really do. I just think there would be a lot of purists that would argue it. Especially the elitist blade guys.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@xjohnx

Yeah I agree oxymoro!, they are certainly not cavity back irons in the true sense. The 745/765 to certainly more a muscle back design, like the MP66, Bridgestone J40 & X-CB, Tour Pride M2s or TM R9 Forged. Either way the most important thing is you enjoy playing with the clubs!

Yeah I see it, I really do. I just think there would be a lot of purists that would argue it. Especially the elitist blade guys.

The 745/65s are simply great player irons!

Trying to decide on either ordering the 4-pw 765 or 5-pw + u65 4 iron. Would be ordering with all the same shaft (no graphite shaft in u65).

I have a 21 degree hybrid that I will be knocking down to 20 regardless, but just want to have good gaping. I know the 765 4 iron is 22 degrees while the u65 is 23.

I have the 5-pw and 23 deg u65 and the gapping is perfect for me. The key for me was to get the same shafts in both as the graphite u65 did go a little longer.

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

That sounds like a performance and feel claim that's hard to back up traditionally. I don't really see how it can be both. Not knocking you or Srixon and I own the 765s and love them but, kind of an oxymoron, right?

What does this mean? Are the z765 more or less forgiving than a standard cavity back club? By "standard cavity back" I mean like 716CB.

That sounds like a performance and feel claim that's hard to back up traditionally. I don't really see how it can be both. Not knocking you or Srixon and I own the 765s and love them but, kind of an oxymoron, right?

What does this mean? Are the z765 more or less forgiving than a standard cavity back club? By "standard cavity back" I mean like 716CB.

Yeah....these certainly seem like you standard, forged cavity back iron to me.... Please correct me if otherwise noted

After looking at pics, I could see where the cavity n muscle blend in such a way that it doesn't appear to give a ton of help.... blade , muscle back, cb, split cavity,...... I so confused!

The 716CB is a cavity blade! and appears to be a muscle back design Not a true Cavity Back like Ap1.

I suppose because the Z745/765, the 716CB have been designed with very shallow cavities (yes i suppose they are cavities) due to the small rim around the frame/perimeter of the irons, hence being described as a Muscle Cavity/Cavity Blade. To me the the Z765 irons are the Z965 with forgiveness, both are muscle irons, with the 765 having a shallow cavity. The 716CB again is the forgiveness version of 716MB - muscle blade. Both manufactures are very specific is describing

these irons as a "muscle"cavity and cavity "Blade", because it is a significant difference from the pronounce cavity designed irons! I suppose many "player's irons" today have some form of very shallow cavity to them to be the forgiving version of the blade sibling!

To me the likes of Z565, AP1, Callaway Steelhead XR, TM M2s, MP25 are cavity backs with the pronounced cavity and/or undercut.

But to answer your question I would imagine the Z765 & 716CB would be similar, both are muscle back designs, with perimeter weighting for forgiveness. Basically Blades with shallow cavities and less forgiving than the Z565 or AP1 (cast & forged versions).

As another example I view the Mizuno JPX900 Tour as being the muscle cavity version of JPX900 Forged & Hot Metal cavity irons and

the MP66 the muscle back cavity version of the MP4 & MP5 muscle blade irons. It seems most player's irons these days have some form of shallow cavity to them!

Anyway some interesting articles on Blades, Muscle Backs, Cavities etc below.

As one article states the lines are blurring!!!!!

https://www.thoughtc...inition-1560793

http://golftips.golf...irons-2404.html

https://www.thoughtc...players-1563300

The 716CB is a cavity blade! and appears to be a muscle back design Not a true Cavity Back like Ap1.

I suppose because the Z745/765, the 716CB have been designed with very shallow cavities (yes i suppose they are cavities) due to the small rim around the frame/perimeter of the irons, hence being described as a Muscle Cavity/Cavity Blade. To me the the Z765 irons are the Z965 with forgiveness, both are muscle irons, with the 765 having a shallow cavity. The 716CB again is the forgiveness version of 716MB - muscle blade. Both manufactures are very specific is describing

these irons as a "muscle"cavity and cavity "Blade", because it is a significant difference from the pronounce cavity designed irons! I suppose many "player's irons" today have some form of very shallow cavity to them to be the forgiving version of the blade sibling!

To me the likes of Z565, AP1, Callaway Steelhead XR, TM M2s, MP25 are cavity backs with the pronounced cavity and/or undercut.

But to answer your question I would imagine the Z765 & 716CB would be similar, both are muscle back designs, with perimeter weighting for forgiveness. Basically Blades with shallow cavities and less forgiving than the Z565 or AP1 (cast & forged versions).

As another example I view the Mizuno JPX900 Tour as being the muscle cavity version of JPX900 Forged & Hot Metal cavity irons and

the MP66 the muscle back cavity version of the MP4 & MP5 muscle blade irons. It seems most player's irons these days have some form of shallow cavity to them!

Not arguing but, I've never seen this idea before. By this standard almost every forged cavity back iron would be a "muscle cavity". I've just never heard them described as that before. Would split cavity be a better name/description with less confusion?

Not arguing but, I've never seen this idea before. By this standard almost every forged cavity back iron would be a "muscle cavity". I've just never heard them described as that before. Would split cavity be a better name/description with less confusion?

Its a tough one in the naming of the style of golf irons. To me all irons except blades are cavity backs.SGI & GI's are all definitely cavity back irons in truer sense, the cavity is pronounced and may also include a undercut in the cavity.Player's irons like the Z765 I have come to expect that all player's irons will have some form of shallow cavity (some may be a little deeper than others) and typically run along the lines of a muscle back or blade design. Manufacturers seem intent on making the distinction for the player's irons i.e. cavity muscle, cavity blade. SGi & GI seem clear on what they look like. Maybe the player's iron should be describe as being a "Player's Cavity Iron", which would mean it typically has a shallow cavity and "no" undercut.At the end of the day what we are talking about is that the the Z745/65 is a players iron, how to described it more technically seems to be many ways, but for me they are great irons, beautifully made, has some forgiveness and a joy to play with! In terms of the muscle back design I do feel there is some uniformity in design from many manufactures on this type of iron.Here are examples of current offerings available in Asia in the form of blade/muscle cavity back!

Anyone buy the 765 A-wedge and then replace it with something else? If so, with what? It is the one club that I am not 100% happy with. Dunno what it is.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Anyone buy the 765 A-wedge and then replace it with something else? If so, with what? It is the one club that I am not 100% happy with. Dunno what it is.

I am about too - I have the 745 AW & SW, which are at 51*/8 & 57*/10 - typical odd japanese specs, never really a happy medium between 50*-52* & 56*-58*. I very much like the clubs, shape feel etc, and a good fit for my shallow swing, but because I live in Asia and play lush courses all year round, I find i could do with some little extra bounce/pop in the wedges.

So I am going for Cleveland RTX 2.0 precision forged wedges at 50*/10 & 56*/12 of which the Srixon AW & SW are based off.

Shadow,

I hear you man. It makes sense for sure. Most of the forged players cavity irons still have a "muscle" in the same way the blades do, giving them the name "muscle back". I guess I just never looked at them that way.

Side note: Whatever those CB1 irons are pictured are gorgeous!!

CB1 from Grindworks in Japan. Here is a link to their website in English http://en.grindworks.jp

Their MB1 muscle back blade is stunning, they also have a dual pocket forged cavity iron and check out the Nidaime combo irons (sorry PGX but your not the only nor the first to have changeable weights in irons).

Check out their wedges there are 4 series with the most comprehensive details I've seen for wedges - look at the 86 & SM series.

Shadow,

I hear you man. It makes sense for sure. Most of the forged players cavity irons still have a "muscle" in the same way the blades do, giving them the name "muscle back". I guess I just never looked at them that way.

CB1 from Grindworks in Japan. Here is a link to their website in English http://en.grindworks.jp

Their MB1 muscle back blade is stunning, they also have a dual pocket forged cavity iron and check out the Nidaime combo irons (sorry PGX but your not the only nor the first to have changeable weights in irons).

Check out their wedges there are 4 series with the most comprehensive details I've seen for wedges - look at the 86 & SM series.

Nice stuff. Those 86 wedges look so clean and classy. Would love to see one in person.

Shadow,

Nice stuff. Those 86 wedges look so clean and classy. Would love to see one in person.

There is a dealer in Philly.

So how would you classify the Bridgestone J15 CB irons as compared to the above examples? To me, they are a true cavity back design as the sole is wider and rounded, plus it is a "full" cavity around the perimiter of the head. With that being said, years ago this type of players cavity back design was referred to as a split cavity...aka Nike vr forged split cavity. I don't know either, it depends on the OEM design, but I think they all perform pretty similar. Some launch easier than other's depending on weight and where that weight really is. Looks can be very deceiving these days in forged "cavity" style irons across the board. In my experience you have to see them in person, it makes all the difference. If I put my J15 CB down next to a Titliest 716CB, the bridgestone definitely looks more friendly and larger all around. This goes for the Srixon 765 as well.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

So how would you classify the Bridgestone J15 CB irons as compared to the above examples? To me, they are a true cavity back design as the sole is wider and rounded, plus it is a "full" cavity around the perimiter of the head. With that being said, years ago this type of players cavity back design was referred to as a split cavity...aka Nike vr forged split cavity. I don't know either, it depends on the OEM design, but I think they all perform pretty similar. Some launch easier than other's depending on weight and where that weight really is. Looks can be very deceiving these days in forged "cavity" style irons across the board. In my experience you have to see them in person, it makes all the difference. If I put my J15 CB down next to a Titliest 716CB, the bridgestone definitely looks more friendly and larger all around. This goes for the Srixon 765 as well.

I would put the J15CB into the Players Cavity Iron. It is basically the forgiveness version of the J15MB. I did say that some players cavity irons will have either a shallow or deeper cavity but no cavity cut out. And certainly less cavity than SGI & GI.

The trend I notice in Players irons is there are 3 styles, they will have some form of cavity due to perimeter weight, but the 3 styles are the triangular muscle back, e.g., Srixon Z745/65, MP66, Tour Pride M2, Bridgestone J40, TM R9 forged. Then this is the what I call the "bar" type player cavity e.g., Grindworks CB1, Titleist 716CB, J15CB. Then lastly what I call the "button" back players iron, e.g., OnOff, Bridgestone X-CB, Cleveland Black Forged.

When i think of "cavity irons" i think of SGI & GI clubs because this is the dominant feature of the club.

The player's cavity iron yes all have some for of cavity and they are typically seem to be the forgiveness version of a manufactures Bladed iron.

Manufactures tend to make the distinction that a player's iron is a player's cavity iron describe as muscle cavity or blade cavity.

In short and IMHO

Cavity irons generally have deeper cavity and/or undercuts - so what i call Cavity Irons

Player's Irons or Player's Cavity Irons - generally have either a shallow or mid depth cavity due solely to perimeter weighting no undercut, some form of muscle back i.e. triangular, bar, or button back and are typically the forgiveness version of a bladed iron and the next head size up from a blade, but smaller than GI & SGI.

BTW the J15CB are nice irons.

I would put the J15CB into the Players Cavity Iron. It is basically the forgiveness version of the J15MB. I did say that some players cavity irons will have either a shallow or deeper cavity but no cavity cut out. And certainly less cavity than SGI & GI.

The trend I notice in Players irons is there are 3 styles, they will have some form of cavity due to perimeter weight, but the 3 styles are the triangular muscle back, e.g., Srixon Z745/65, MP66, Tour Pride M2, Bridgestone J40, TM R9 forged. Then this is the what I call the "bar" type player cavity e.g., Grindworks CB1, Titleist 716CB, J15CB. Then lastly what I call the "button" back players iron, e.g., OnOff, Bridgestone X-CB, Cleveland Black Forged.

When i think of "cavity irons" i think of SGI & GI clubs because this is the dominant feature of the club.

The player's cavity iron yes all have some for of cavity and they are typically seem to be the forgiveness version of a manufactures Bladed iron.

Manufactures tend to make the distinction that a player's iron is a player's cavity iron describe as muscle cavity or blade cavity.

In short and IMHO

Cavity irons generally have deeper cavity and/or undercuts - so what i call Cavity Irons

Player's Irons or Player's Cavity Irons - generally have either a shallow or mid depth cavity due solely to perimeter weighting no undercut, some form of muscle back i.e. triangular, bar, or button back and are typically the forgiveness version of a bladed iron and the next head size up from a blade, but smaller than GI & SGI.

Sorry man, I've hit nearly everything out there, gamed J15CB for three years. They are way more forgiving than their mb counterpart and slightly more than 716cb too.

Extremely forgiving design with soft forging. J15CB was a very interesting design from head shape to sole, super forgiving but also workable with great feel. Only gripe was the shovel 9/PW.

In short and IMHO

Sorry man, I've hit nearly everything out there, gamed J15CB for three years. They are way more forgiving than their mb counterpart and slightly more than 716cb too.

Extremely forgiving design with soft forging. J15CB was a very interesting design from head shape to sole, super forgiving but also workable with great feel. Only gripe was the shovel 9/PW.

Isn't that what he said?

Yeah, I picked up the AW afterwards and after a range sesh or two and a few rounds I went back to my Vokey 50* wedge. The 765 for some reason was always a lot shorter.

For all Z765 users.....how many of you are playing in southern States on tight Bermuda fairways? My concern is turf interaction on this surface as it is my primary playing condition.

the V-sole performs well from almost any lie. I played a course on Monday that had tight bermuda fairways and these irons performed very well for me.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

For all Z765 users.....how many of you are playing in southern States on tight Bermuda fairways? My concern is turf interaction on this surface as it is my primary playing condition.

the V-sole performs well from almost any lie. I played a course on Monday that had tight bermuda fairways and these irons performed very well for me.

Thanks..... again.... trigger being pulled tomorrow! Someone mentioned to me that they went Ireland and it was like playing off ice....so tight....these were good as gold!

So I'm in the same boat as many of you. I wish Srixon had made the Z765 A Wedge in the same mold as the rest of the set. I don't like the look of the blade and it seems from reviews and talk that it isn't that great of a club. I have the 54* and 60* MD Forged and thinking of getting the 50* to match those. Thoughts?

As a side note, I play on bermuda almost exclusively and the Srixons perform just fine on them. Zero issues.

So I'm in the same boat as many of you. I wish Srixon had made the Z765 A Wedge in the same mold as the rest of the set. I don't like the look of the blade and it seems from reviews and talk that it isn't that great of a club. I have the 54* and 60* MD Forged and thinking of getting the 50* to match those. Thoughts?

As a side note, I play on bermuda almost exclusively and the Srixons perform just fine on them. Zero issues.

Sometimes it's best to just simplify the thought process. If you don't really like the A wedge, take it out. If you really like the MD wedges, add one to match. That may have sounded sarcastic but, I'm not trying to. There are too many variables in this game and if you can eliminate one, especially one that has an affect physically and mentally on your game, I say do it every time.