SRIXON 765 Initial thoughts and pics!

mtex22

I don't have much actual specs to compare. I typically can score about the same with which ever irons I have in the bag, I love the feel of the XTD Forged irons, and the z765's are about as close to that feel as the XTD Forged. I find with the XTD Forged I tend to hit 5 yard fades and with the z765's I've been hitting 5 yard draws.

The shafts in both sets are exactly the same specs, I have two sets of UST TourSPX Recoil Prototype 95 F5 both sets playing at +1/2" longer.

To answer your question.. this thread had me thinking I had to keep trying these out. First set of z765's were with Modus3 120s, then the second set was with Tour Issue DG AMT X100's, and those I reshafted with the Recoils.

I admire your grit and tenacity.... fairly expensive proposition to keep buying sets looking for that utopian like sensation.... I've been in this thread and have fought the temptation to grab a set...they do check the boxes for me as a player's set....

On that flight differential, is that a lie angle thing or a design ?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have much actual specs to compare. I typically can score about the same with which ever irons I have in the bag, I love the feel of the XTD Forged irons, and the z765's are about as close to that feel as the XTD Forged. I find with the XTD Forged I tend to hit 5 yard fades and with the z765's I've been hitting 5 yard draws.

The shafts in both sets are exactly the same specs, I have two sets of UST TourSPX Recoil Prototype 95 F5 both sets playing at +1/2" longer.

To answer your question.. this thread had me thinking I had to keep trying these out. First set of z765's were with Modus3 120s, then the second set was with Tour Issue DG AMT X100's, and those I reshafted with the Recoils.

I admire your grit and tenacity.... fairly expensive proposition to keep buying sets looking for that utopian like sensation.... I've been in this thread and have fought the temptation to grab a set...they do check the boxes for me as a player's set....

I had a set of z945's and sold them (regret that sale..) and loved them, they were that 5 yard fade.. as an engineer for almost 30 years, my mind thinks that the mass of the weight centered for me is more of a "neutral position" and out towards the toe of the z765 tends to promote a draw feeling for me.

Expensive yes.. I have owned and sold a collection of Srixons including;

z545's with KBS Tour 120s (sold)

z745's with KBS Tour 120s / reshafted with Modus3 105s (sold)

z765's with Modus3 120s (sold)

z945's with DG S300's / reshafted with Modus3 Tour 105s (sold)

z765's with Tour Issue DG AMT X100's / reshafted with UST Recoils.. currently in the bag..

Add in the fact that I sold the z765's with DG AMT's to my buddy and then swapped him some irons for them as he didn't like them that much.

I had a set of z945's and sold them (regret that sale..) and loved them, they were that 5 yard fade.. as an engineer for almost 30 years, my mind thinks that the mass of the weight centered for me is more of a "neutral position" and out towards the toe of the z765 tends to promote a draw feeling for me.

z765's with Tour Issue DG AMT X100's / reshafted with UST Recoils.. currently in the bag..

Add in the fact that I sold the z765's with DG AMT's to my buddy and then swapped him some irons for them as he didn't like them that much.

Well at least you made some of your money back! I'm a lefty and NOT an engineer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express .....one time in the distant past.....

Other than xtd forged....can you compare z765 to other players clubs .....ap2/cb, RSI tp, s55 .... etc,etc

Sorry for the bombardment of questions btw

Well at least you made some of your money back! I'm a lefty and NOT an engineer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express .....one time in the distant past.....

Other than xtd forged....can you compare z765 to other players clubs .....ap2/cb, RSI tp, s55 .... etc,etc

Sorry for the bombardment of questions btw

Not going to be much help there.. I've been gaming XTD Forged irons for almost 3 years.. I never found much that would replace them.

Been going back and forth between 565 and 765. Coming from a set of Callaway X-14 Pros (yes due for upgrade). Wondering which srixon line would be comparable in terms of forgiveness to the X-14 Pro?

Taylormade M3 8.5* Driver
Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2-Iron
Taylormade P760 4-AW w/ PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec

Been going back and forth between 565 and 765. Coming from a set of Callaway X-14 Pros (yes due for upgrade). Wondering which srixon line would be comparable in terms of forgiveness to the X-14 Pro?

As many here have said and done, go with a combo set of them both. The z565's for the long irons and z765's for the mid and short irons. Also, try not to think of the 565 versus 765 as forgiveness versus not forgiving.. they both are quite forgiving. To me the comparison would be more about distance gains of one versus the other. I've played the z545's when they came out and I had issues with hitting them too far. Granted hitting the z545 PW 150 yards is great for the ego, but it makes for some ugly gapping. So I opted to sell the z545's and pick up the z745's and let my 9 iron be my 150 yard club. Which for me is more in line with other 9 irons that I hit distances. (like my XTD Forged 9 iron distance..)

Yesterday, I finally received my combo set. Played 9 last night but didnt really get to hit them much. A lot of driver/sw/lw as I was killing my driver. I went with a 765/965 combo and coming from playing mp33s, THESE THINGS ARE STRONG. Had 174 on a par 3, pulled 7 iron and blew it over the green. Had to scratch my head. Really need to get on the range and figure them out but a well struck shot goes miles

Got my 765s yesterday 5-GW (also have a 3-4 iron 565s on the way) I had given the shop I ordered them from my old set, and said match the lengths. Something got screwed up and they came in 1/4 inch over and of course heavier swingweight than I wanted. I could have sent them back, but they said they could cut them down and regrip for no charge, and I still will have 90 days to return them, so I said go ahead. Anyway, last night I did take them out to the range for a test drive. Hard to tell after one session, but they did seem awfully sweet when hit solid. Can't really tell distance wise until I get them on the course, but I am expecting them to be a tad longer given the stronger lofts in the mid and longer irons. Really didn't curve them much at all, but I could flight them up and down more than I expected. I do think the Modus3 120X shafts will take some getting used to coming from C-Taper 120S. They are just gorgeous too, and I would say I'm encouraged so far.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I continue to be amazed by these irons. Today I was 160 out so I hit a smooth 8. Swing as a little too smooth with my lower body and I fatted it a touch. I looked up expecting it to be short, pin high 15 feet right. So forgiving on less than good swings. The honeymoon period continues on strong.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

My miss is usually thin and these irons are very forgiving on those misses for me.

I've bottom-grooved a few that ended up flying straight and landing only a few yards short of of a well-struck shot.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

My miss is usually thin and these irons are very forgiving on those misses for me.

I've bottom-grooved a few that ended up flying straight and landing only a few yards short of of a well-struck shot.

Question on this - I have the same irons and same miss. Starting to develop some left elbow pain. There certainly is more feedback in these than my old Pings. Any similar results for you?

Question on this - I have the same irons and same miss. Starting to develop some left elbow pain. There certainly is more feedback in these than my old Pings. Any similar results for you?

I have not experienced any right elbow pain (I'm a lefty) with my current set-up.

However, I have experienced right elbow pain (outside portion of my elbow near the funny bone) in the past with DG X100s in another set of irons. Its been my experience that certain shafts can cause certain players elbow pain, especially if you practice a lot off driving range mats.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I have not experienced any right elbow pain (I'm a lefty) with my current set-up.

However, I have experienced right elbow pain (outside portion of my elbow near the funny bone) in the past with DG X100s in another set of irons. Its been my experience that certain shafts can cause certain players elbow pain, especially if you practice a lot off driving range mats.

HotRod Just installed some Sensicore inserts in DGTI S400 AMT's and they feel like butter. Give the Sensicores a try.

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

Well.. I have a feeling that my testing with the z765's will shortly end, I've resigned myself to just keep my XTD Forged or Ping I E1's in the bag.. while I get the expected distance and flight that I want, I don't get the accuracy that I do with the others..

As with everything else equipment related, what's great for some isn't even good enough for others. Sorry it didn't work out. I think with their popularity (especially on WRX) that you should be able to sell them.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

The shaft has a lot to do with golfer's elbow. In a forged head, a very stiff, unforgiving shaft could absolutely cause arm pain. This is where Nippon has truly been competing with DG and KBS. Their shafts dampen vibration much better without sacrificing accuracy.

TaylorMade Spider Black

Love these clubs but man the metal dings easily cause it's so soft. It seems like I gotta buy a new set with all the gashes in mine now!

So do you HAVE to buy a new set or do you just WANT to? I have the same issue and I know I just WANT a new set, which is gonna turn into me having to HAVE them soon!!!! LOL!

TaylorMade Spider Black

Great to see alot of love for these clubs. Have the 765s from 4 - 9 in DG s300s. Love them. Also have a 3 iron in the 565 and it's a best too :)

Ping - G425 max dr, w/alta cb slate 

Ping - G425 max 5 wd & hy, w/alta cb red

Srixon - ZX MKii Utility, 4ut, w/UST recoil  

Srixon - ZX5 MKii 5i & ZX7 MKii 6-PW, w/SG s300

Titleist - Vokey SM9, 52.12°F, 56.12°D, 60.12°D w/DG s200

Scotty Cameron - Custom Phantom x5.5

Bridgestone - Tour B XS

Just came back from 2nd round with my irons and the forgiveness on toe shot is just crazy! Had a ball hit right on the line between brushed groove area and chrome are but still carried the same yardage.

And the turf interaction is just getting better and better and so easy to fly out of thick rough.

Simply the best

Finally got mine the other day. Here they are with the new Cleveland wedges and my old Cleveland putter. Only played 9 and hit the range a couple of times. The shafts are going to take a bit of adjustment, but my last range session seemed much better. Plan on playing the next three days, so they will get broken in fast.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I walked away from my Srixon 765/965 set up a couple months ago to try out some Cobra and Ping irons. Bottom line they didn't work for me at all. So, I decided to go back to Srixon and scored a set of 765s from a fellow WRXer with Modus 105 shafts. Been wanting to try Nippon shafts for a while and see what all the hype is about. Where has this combo been my entire life?! First round out with them and I was 2 shots off my PB (thanks to 3 stupid penalties off the tee box). Smooth, long, and they are just so pure. I've still yet to hit an iron that feels as good as these.