2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

New 2017 TaylorMade M1 Driver?

ConfusedGolfer3412

Reports that I have read say they are.

http://www.pgatour.c...ds-hybrids.html

That only says that the 2017 M1 approaches/passes the older generation M2 in forgiveness...supposedly.

This article states that the 2017 M2 is the most forgiving driver the company has ever produced. The MOI rating is given in both this article and the M1 article you linked. The MOI is higher in the 2017 M2 when compared to the 2017 M1.

I'm confused. Didn't he ask if reports state that the 2017 M1 is as forgiving as the 2016 M2? Does this report not state that?

The weight gained from the lightweight skeletal structure and carbon composite made it feasible to expand the overall footprint by four percent (face by seven percent) while staying within the 460cc head size limit that's allowed by the USGA. That means golfers will see an improved moment of inertia (MOI) of 4420 grams-centimeters squared, making this year's M1 as forgiving as the 2016 M2.

Seems I misread. You're correct.

Sorry I didn't have a link or reference. Thanks for finding that!

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

Reports that I have read say they are.

That only says that the 2017 M1 approaches/passes the older generation M2 in forgiveness...supposedly.

This article states that the 2017 M2 is the most forgiving driver the company has ever produced. The MOI rating is given in both this article and the M1 article you linked. The MOI is higher in the 2017 M2 when compared to the 2017 M1.

I'm confused. Didn't he ask if reports state that the 2017 M1 is as forgiving as the 2016 M2? Does this report not state that?

The weight gained from the lightweight skeletal structure and carbon composite made it feasible to expand the overall footprint by four percent (face by seven percent) while staying within the 460cc head size limit that's allowed by the USGA. That means golfers will see an improved moment of inertia (MOI) of 4420 grams-centimeters squared, making this year's M1 as forgiving as the 2016 M2.

Seems I misread. You're correct.

Sorry I didn't have a link or reference. Thanks for finding that!

No problem!

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | G430 3 Hybrid |  ZX7 MKII 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

I had a few minutes to spare the other day, so I tried the 2017 M1. I was impressed. I have to go back with my 2016 Version and do a better comparison. I have a Matrix Black Tie on mine, is there a better option available this year for those who have a positive AoA in the 4-6 degree region?

tensei pro white or pro orange.

thanks for the suggestions

I talked with TM today about it, had them talk with R&D. I was told usually on most it's 1/2" but, it does vary some shaft to shaft, depending on manufacturer recommendations, you can also customize it through the custom shop.On fairway woods, I believe it's closer to a full inch vs driver. I was also told they do this based on their R&D that this provides more solid feel and control with their heads. Probably why I had experience with shaft feeling too active on the head compared to what I had hit before. Anyway, pretty interesting info

If you look at TM's shafts the parallel tips are 1" longer than the comparable aftermarket shaft of the same name. This is apparent because if you go to TM's website to "build" your driver, you are asked if you want the tip to be standard, +1/2,+1,-1/2or -1. So for TM to tip their made for shafts 1" is actually the standard tip length for flex.

I'm interested in any m1 fairway reviews

Driver: 10* Titleist TSi3 w/Ventus Black 6

3-Wood: 15* Titleist TSi2 w/Ventus Blue 8

5-Wood: 18* Titleist TSi2 w/Ventus Blue 8

Hybrid: 21* Titleist 818H2 w/Graphite Design HY-95

Irons (3-P): Titleist 2021 T100 w/KBS Tour

Wedges (50*, 54*, 60*): Vokey WedgeWorks SM8 w/KBS Tour

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 9.5 Triple Black

**14-club set-up course/conditions dependent

How does the 2017 M1 fairways compare to the 2016 M1 fairways? Any one hit both?

performance wise they are very similar. they feel different tho. the '17 feels a bit more solid in my opinion -- but both have the same rocket-fast face.

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Those of you who custom ordered via TM's website,

When did you order and have you gotten shipping confirmation yet?

I ordered the M1 Driver, and 2 M2 Fairways...all three through their custom site on the 25th. Talked to them today (31st) and they are built and are in QA and will ship today or tomorrow at the latest. Was weird as I also placed a second order for a new M2 hybrid, also on the 25th after the driver/fairways...also through the custom shop and that one is being delivered today.

[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Ping G 400 LST 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3&5 Fairway Woods Graphite Design AD DI[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 19* Hybrid Stock Shaft[/size]
[size=2]Ping G 400 4-PW NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105's[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Titleist SM6 52/12 and 58/12[/size]
[size=2]Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Bridgestone B330RX or B330S[/size][/i][/color]

• 3 weeks later...

I talked with TM today about it, had them talk with R&D. I was told usually on most it's 1/2" but, it does vary some shaft to shaft, depending on manufacturer recommendations, you can also customize it through the custom shop.On fairway woods, I believe it's closer to a full inch vs driver. I was also told they do this based on their R&D that this provides more solid feel and control with their heads. Probably why I had experience with shaft feeling too active on the head compared to what I had hit before. Anyway, pretty interesting info

If you look at TM's shafts the parallel tips are 1" longer than the comparable aftermarket shaft of the same name. This is apparent because if you go to TM's website to "build" your driver, you are asked if you want the tip to be standard, +1/2,+1,-1/2or -1. So for TM to tip their made for shafts 1" is actually the standard tip length for flex.

Sorry, but I'm having problems getting my head around this.

If the standard tipping is 1" on TM shafts (because of the adapter or whatever), wouldn't the +1 on the website just mean untipped or straight in? As I don't have an uncut TM aftermarket shaft (like an Adila Rogue or DI-6) here to measure I just can't figure this one out.

Or are you just talking about the "really made fors" (like the REAX) shafts?

Thanks for helping.

Edit: Sorry about the thread jack.

http://golfweek.com/...ards-per-drive/

Will Callaway or another Mfg close in on TM this year? Looks like Tmag continues to dominate the long drivers on tour.

What really matters is retail sales. So far at our location for 2017 models, the score is:

Callaway Epic and Fusion, 14+5 = 19

M1 and M2. 3+3 = 6

Our other stores report similar ratios.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I agree. Around here TM and Titeleist dominate the market. Maybe w Nike dropping out Call away may pick up some new followers. Group of 30 w noone above a 5 HCP and 1 plays Call away. Estimated half TM and another 10 bag Titeleist. Guess its what area of the country you're in. Mizuno Ping and Cobra for the rest. Demand is weak for Cal here. I do see some Callaway from the mid to higher caps hitting some Call away but mostly older stuff. Will be interesting to see how many pop up in area tournaments this Spring and Summer but fully expect to see that zebra looking driver in most peoples hands.

If you are ordering an aftermarket shaft through Taylor made you have to specify 1 inch softer which means no tipping. Otherwise they will cut an inch off a perfectly good $300 shaft and potentially make the shaft unplayable for some. Now I don't know what they do for fairways but I assume it is always 1 inch. Most fairway 3 woods are a half inch recommended tipping by the oem.5 woods are an inch. So if you order a 3 wood you should go 0.5 inch soft for standard tipping instructions.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 MCA MMT 80X @ 45.5”

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Mini 340 Shaft TBD @ 43.75”

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

Will Callaway or another Mfg close in on TM this year? Looks like Tmag continues to dominate the long drivers on tour.

What really matters is retail sales. So far at our location for 2017 models, the score is:

M1 and M2. 3+3 = 6

What store? In North Carolina 2016 M2 is outselling epic 4 to 1...

New Bag in the making...

M1 and M2. 3+3 = 6

Golfdata tech numbers don't support what you're saying at all. Callaway is slaughtering Taylormade and it's not even close. I don't expect someone with the name Taylormadeluv to acknowledge that though

M1 and M2. 3+3 = 6

Pretty much same here just north of you. Callaway rack is full and TM rack has about 25 open slots.

If you are ordering an aftermarket shaft through Taylor made you have to specify 1 inch softer which means no tipping. Otherwise they will cut an inch off a perfectly good $300 shaft and potentially make the shaft unplayable for some. Now I don't know what they do for fairways but I assume it is always 1 inch. Most fairway 3 woods are a half inch recommended tipping by the oem.5 woods are an inch. So if you order a 3 wood you should go 0.5 inch soft for standard tipping instructions.

Are you absolutely certain about that ? I'm thinking to order a 2017 M1 460 with either Tour AD TP 6S or X, or Tour AD GP 6S or X. I'm sort of in between X and S, so if I order the S with no tipping that should get me there in between X and S ? I'm thoroughly confused becasue when you indicate -1 (firm) wouldn't that be no tipping ? If Standard is 1" tipped ????

Are you absolutely certain about that ? I'm thinking to order a 2017 M1 460 with either Tour AD TP 6S or X, or Tour AD GP 6S or X. I'm sort of in between X and S, so if I order the S with no tipping that should get me there in between X and S ? I'm thoroughly confused becasue when you indicate -1 (firm) wouldn't that be no tipping ? If Standard is 1" tipped ????

That post is correct. If you click the plus sign twice to specify -1"(firm) from standard, that shaft will be tipped 2" in total. Highly unlikely you want that.

I've been burned by the custom shop with regard to this in the past, so now I click the minus button to go softer until I can't go any softer. That will remove all of the standard tipping (appears to be 1" for most shafts). Then I add back tipping with the plus sign until I'm where I want. So if I want a driver tipped 0.5", I'll be 0.5" soft according to their configurator.

EDIT: Side note on the GP...I've read some reviews that indicate if you tip the shaft, you're actually removing some stiffness out of the tip. I'm also between an S and an X for most shafts and have a GP 6s that's been tipped 0.5". I wish it had no tipping because it would play slightly stiffer (again, according to a shaft review website I frequent).

TaylorMade Qi10 8.0, Ventus TR Blue 6X, 45.75"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS RDX Blue 6.5, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
Bridgestone Tour B X (2024)

My WITB Post

M1 and M2. 3+3 = 6

It's right in my profile info under my ID. Golf Town in Hamilton Ontario, Canada. Our 47 other stores have similar numbers but not exactly the same ratio. See the Datatech reference above.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

How does the 2017 M1 fairways compare to the 2016 M1 fairways? Any one hit both?

performance wise they are very similar. they feel different tho. the '17 feels a bit more solid in my opinion -- but both have the same rocket-fast face.

The more I mess with my 16 M1 fairway the more i love that thing. Weights apart, Blue Board 83 my lawd is it perfection!!!

Long off the tee, high launching off the deck!!

As for the M1 440, it's bagged....just an awesome feeling, spin killing, long stick.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

That post is correct. If you click the plus sign twice to specify -1"(firm) from standard, that shaft will be tipped 2" in total. Highly unlikely you want that.

I've been burned by the custom shop with regard to this in the past, so now I click the minus button to go softer until I can't go any softer. That will remove all of the standard tipping (appears to be 1" for most shafts). Then I add back tipping with the plus sign until I'm where I want. So if I want a driver tipped 0.5", I'll be 0.5" soft according to their configurator.

EDIT: Side note on the GP...I've read some reviews that indicate if you tip the shaft, you're actually removing some stiffness out of the tip. I'm also between an S and an X for most shafts and have a GP 6s that's been tipped 0.5". I wish it had no tipping because it would play slightly stiffer (again, according to a shaft review website I frequent).

Thanks for the clarification I think I got it now...I see you have a GD TP 6X on order, that is the shaft I really am eyeing, but I'm afraid it will launch too high, thus I'm leaning to the GP. Right now I play a 2016 M2 9.5 dialed down to 8.75 with 6.0 Hazrdus Black, and I hit it about perfect height but can hook it some times. The thing I noticed on the monitor with the 2017 M1 is that I can move the weight toward the toe a bit and eliminante the hook, that is with Haz Yelllow 6.0, which is the other shaft I'm considering. I really like GD shafts, the feel is awesome, so why not order the M1 with a GD shaft and if doesn't work out I can always put my Haz Black in there. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the TP 6X after you hit it, if I order that one will probably go with X also.

Even though I have one, I'm not going to be too surprised if the Epic series is a "launch monitor" wonder, especially at a place like GolfTown where we won't be able to see real results for another couple of months. Relying on a GC2 indoors...We may see huge sales right now, but the real test will be at the end of the season, where M2 gained the traction last year.

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

Thanks for the clarification I think I got it now...I see you have a GD TP 6X on order, that is the shaft I really am eyeing, but I'm afraid it will launch too high, thus I'm leaning to the GP. Right now I play a 2016 M2 9.5 dialed down to 8.75 with 6.0 Hazrdus Black, and I hit it about perfect height but can hook it some times. The thing I noticed on the monitor with the 2017 M1 is that I can move the weight toward the toe a bit and eliminante the hook, that is with Haz Yelllow 6.0, which is the other shaft I'm considering. I really like GD shafts, the feel is awesome, so why not order the M1 with a GD shaft and if doesn't work out I can always put my Haz Black in there. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the TP 6X after you hit it, if I order that one will probably go with X also.

Still waiting on mine. Tm Canada is a little slow, seems the graphite design shafts were shipped up only days ago . I'm concerned about too little spin. Otherwise the gp would have been on order.

Just to clarify I think you click the + button to go softer. Regardless Softer = less tipping. I know the website you speak of because I am a member too. I find it difficult rationalizing tipping a tip stiff shaft would make it play softer vs harder. My issue last year with Tm ruined the shaft because of the 1 inch tip on the Aldila rogue silver. Launch and spin got worse. ( low and less )

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

Still waiting on mine. Tm Canada is a little slow, seems the graphite design shafts were shipped up only days ago . I'm concerned about too little spin. Otherwise the gp would have been on order.

Just to clarify I think you click the + button to go softer. Regardless Softer = less tipping. I know the website you speak of because I am a member too. I find it difficult rationalizing tipping a tip stiff shaft would make it play softer vs harder. My issue last year with Tm ruined the shaft because of the 1 inch tip on the Aldila rogue silver. Launch and spin got worse. ( low and less )

No, this is what causes all the confusion. The shaft has a standard amount of tipping to start with. You click the minus button to go softer and reduce the amount of tipping from standard in 0.5" increments. You're essentially adding shaft back, which is why you see a positive 1" (soft) value after you click the minus button twice. When you click the + button, you're adding tipping but since you're reducing the amount of shaft, you see a negative value. You just have to trust the soft/firm designations to know what you're doing.

TaylorMade Qi10 8.0, Ventus TR Blue 6X, 45.75"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS RDX Blue 6.5, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
Bridgestone Tour B X (2024)

My WITB Post

Let's just put it a bit more simply...

For TM:

Std - 1" tip trim

0.5" "soft" - 1/2" tip trim

1.0" "soft" - untipped/straight in

0.5" "firm" - 1.5" tip trim

1.0" "firm" - 2.0" tip trim

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

Let's just put it a bit more simply...

For TM:

Std - 1" tip trim

0.5" "soft" - 1/2" tip trim

1.0" "soft" - untipped/straight in

0.5" "firm" - 1.5" tip trim

1.0" "firm" - 2.0" tip trim

^^^^^^^^

Is accurate!!!

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

Yes, I sincerely apologize, I was incorrect, it is the minus button that goes to tip soft. The above table is correct. Just think a year ago I don't think it was that well known that the standard 1 inch tip trim was happening! Now we are all informed!

M1 and M2. 3+3 = 6

That would make sense looking at BST........Loaded with new Cally drivers.