2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Anyone played in the Golfweek amateur tour events in their area?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came this close to joining this past year. The reason I didn't was mainly do to a pay cut last year to help keep our workplace open. So, the price of entering the tour and then also paying $80-$150 for a tournament multiple times a summer was more than I could bear. If things look better this next year, I will probably join.

I came this close to joining this past year. The reason I didn't was mainly do to a pay cut last year to help keep our workplace open. So, the price of entering the tour and then also paying $80-$150 for a tournament multiple times a summer was more than I could bear. If things look better this next year, I will probably join.

So you are hoping for a Trump win ;)

I checked into it in my area after a guy I was joined up with told me how much he enjoyed playing. But the cost was a little excessive and he said often the tourneys locally were full.

So I opted to stick with two other leagues I play in. One match and one stroke. Both are locally run, the prices are awesome, we get into some incredible tracks that are often private, and there are always great prizes. Every December in the match play we hit one of the Disney courses and this year it's the Palm. On the par 3's a CTP will win you another free round. In the end it's not only fun but you can make up for some of the price.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

When I lived in Minneapolis I switched from the Golf Channel Am Tour to the Golf Week Tour. It's less expensive than the GCAT, you typically get to play some nice courses, and they have a reasonably priced national tournament at the end of the season. My beef with the MN tour was the ridiculous amount of sandbaggers who ran wild. At the time I was a 17 handicap and the guy who won several events in my flight shot 80 or 81 every time. I talked to the Tour Director about moving the guy down a handicap group and he refused. The same thing happened in other handicap groups, too. After 5 or 6 events I called it quits.

I have since moved back home from Minnesota and re-joined the GCAT and love playing on it, even though it's a little more expensive. Our Tour Director does a lot of great things and he is a hawk when it comes to keeping guys honest in their handicap groups. Plus the Majors and National Championship event have been getting better and better every year.

From what I saw the golf channel am tour usually happened during the week. I'm not lucky enough to have a Cush job to just take off whenever. All the golfweek events in my area are on Saturday and or Sunday. Which I'm playing anyway somewhere if not at the club. Most of courses on the leg of the tour here, I've played before. But obviously tournament golf is much different.

Really just want to get some seasoning for that type of competition. I feel it would drive me to work harder and get my handicap down. Currently play to a 8.5 (thanks to a rough weekend at mirimichi lol )

When I started tracking it was around March of this past year and I played to a 13, so I've made steps. Just want to touch mid 70's more than a few times a season

When I lived in Minneapolis I switched from the Golf Channel Am Tour to the Golf Week Tour. It's less expensive than the GCAT, you typically get to play some nice courses, and they have a reasonably priced national tournament at the end of the season. My beef with the MN tour was the ridiculous amount of sandbaggers who ran wild. At the time I was a 17 handicap and the guy who won several events in my flight shot 80 or 81 every time. I talked to the Tour Director about moving the guy down a handicap group and he refused. The same thing happened in other handicap groups, too. After 5 or 6 events I called it quits.

I have since moved back home from Minnesota and re-joined the GCAT and love playing on it, even though it's a little more expensive. Our Tour Director does a lot of great things and he is a hawk when it comes to keeping guys honest in their handicap groups. Plus the Majors and National Championship event have been getting better and better every year.

Did the director refuse because his handicap didn't warrant it? I've played GWAT for over two years (Milwaukee) and haven't seen any sandbagging that wasn't caught and corrected. If anything, they go over board. We had a guy shoot 76 in flight C and they moved him to B after one round of a two round tourney.

I leave tomorrow for the National Tourney in Hilton Head.

Did the director refuse because his handicap didn't warrant it? I've played GWAT for over two years (Milwaukee) and haven't seen any sandbagging that wasn't caught and corrected. If anything, they go over board. We had a guy shoot 76 in flight C and they moved him to B after one round of a two round tourney.

I leave tomorrow for the National Tourney in Hilton Head.

The guy won two events with an 80 and 81 then didn't show up for the next couple after that. When he showed up he did it again and that's when I said something to the TD. He said he'd watch it but he couldn't do a whole lot. Even with the GCAT the directors have to police this stuff or it sucks for everyone. That was a worst case scenario but I know it very well may be quite different on many other tours.

I played in a couple of them last year for the first time. They got us out on good courses and if you finish in the top 2 or get a super skin, you can recoup almost your entire costs. Usually a very good group of guys, but play can be pretty slow.

RH

Wish I could find a steady group in my area ( west Tennessee ) of guys to play with. Or start a league like one of those.

There is a decent sized group out of Memphis/North MS that plays the Golfweek Am events.... May want to check them out. I played a few when i lived in the area and all were pretty well run and attended.

I joined the GWAT (Columbus OH) this past season. I was really pleased with it. We played a lot of private courses I normally wouldn't have access to. We met a lot of new people that we now play with regularly. The flight system was very good. If you scored outside of your flight for multiple tournaments, you automatically got moved up. The prize money was also very good. Paid for a lot for a lot of golf gear this year. Only draw back was that some of the rounds went close to 5 hours because of the number of people playing. If you commit the whole day to playing you will relax and not let the slow play bother you.

Thanks all. I'm not too concerned with the amount of time the rounds take. My whole wknd is usually surrounded by golf at many levels. ( girlfriend approved lol)

The cost factor is much of an issue either. According to last years schedule for my area ( within 100 miles or so) there was only about 8-12 tournaments. Only a couple of courses I haven't played simply because I usually play alone and don't want to make the drive to play by myself.

Not too keen on the gambling asset if that is the skins that everyone refers to other than winning. If I wanted that, there is a large group of about 20-30 every day at my club that bets. I'm in it for the golf and tournament play.

Think of the SKINS as more of a contest. You pay $10 for your flight skin or $20 for the overall pot. If you shoot the best score on one or more holes you get the pot divided by however many skins were won. They also do closest to the pin contests you can pay $5 to get in. All are optional, but still a good way to make some money if you are having a good round.

• 2 weeks later...

I played on a couple of different tours with Golf Week. Overall, it is very enjoyable. If you want to test your game in tournament conditions, go for it. It is most certainly different just because of the nerves involved. Depending on the tour (city or region it is located) the brotherhood is really what it is about. You can potentially develop some golf buddies out of the tour. I would tell you to give it a try for at least for one season. If you just not sure, most tours will let you play in an event (without joining the tour) to test it out. I believe you will just need to pay the tournament fee for that event. Check the website and contact the tour manager in your area.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I play in Arizona it's a lot of fun. You won't make a living playing and if you're lucky/ good you can barely cover cost bUT.... it's a lot of fun and you make a lot of friends. Its great networking and a good challenge. There is no sandbagging, you shoot a low score and you move up a flight or maybe two and actually, most guys come into the tour thinking they can play a lower flight because they hold a low handicap at their home club but then realize it's hard to shoot those scores on unfamiliar courses.