Fitting Tall Golfers With NO Chart or Preconceived Ideas!

rybo

On 8/12/2021 at 6:40 PM, Mr. Scientist said:

Rybo what a great thread you put together. This is exactly what I was looking to find, thanks for doing this. Unfortunately I think there was a picture in your second post into this thread that wasn't showing up.

I'm 6'5 and a very new golfer. I've taken a few lessons to figure out my swing, but every pro I spoke to said to get fitted, and that is better to get clubs that fit and build a swing from there, vs making bad habits and waiting. Especially when I'm so hunched over my $50 yard sale set of standard irons.

I got a very quick free static fitting at a golf shop(when they find out you aren't buying they really don't care too much about helping you out), they said I had a wrist to floor of 42 inches. He briefly said I'll need +2 inches and an upright lie of 3-4 degrees. I was off their chart, literally. I'm getting a secondary opinion tomorrow with a more reputable guy who will talk more about grip size actually measure my lie angle and Shaft weight and flex, but I'm beginning to get concerned about a few things, namely swing weight and overall weight of the club.

I've really been looking at maltby irons for their cheap options (relatively) for new sets that can accommodate the length i need. I can't justify spending $1000 on custom clubs, but $2-3 hundred is much more feasible for a set that fits. Also to get started on a proper lie angle(I made need to get it further angled, since the guy at maltby I spoke to said they can only go to 2 degrees upright). The same guy at Maltby instructed me in the concept of swing weights and gave me a bunch of information, but now I'm a little concerned. The potential swing weight I could have is a minimum of E1(from the added length i need, plus larger grip weight), not to mention the overall weight of an steel shafted iron is making me think. For a person who is admittedly not very strong and still out of shape, this is making me a little paranoid about what I would

need. I guess out of all this rambling I have a few questions for the more experienced tall golfers here.

For a new person starting out, is a generic steel shaft with a heavy swing weight going to mess with me? Would it be stupid for a new golfer to save weight with a graphite shaft, even though I don't have experience with one? Should I just deal with the whatever the standard weight is going to be with the length i need, and just give it time to see if I really do improve and get into it? Or preemptively try to lower it?

I was initially looking at the STi2 iron heads, but some googling I've seen said that cast iron heads can't have their lie angle adjusted more than 2 degrees. If I need more than 2 degrees, can the head be bent further, or should I go for a forged iron like the TE forged head to get the ability to bend them more?

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to slowly getting better at this game!

I played similar specs at one point (+2, 6 up). There are plenty of light weight steel shaft options out there you can use.  I would shoot for around the 100g mark.  Don't over think swing weight.  It's a guide for tuning things, correct length is much more important.  For heads you want forged if you do end up going more than 3 up. It's not that you can't been bend cast, they are just more prone to breaking as you bend them more.

Also a suggestion is if you are using components build one or two clubs first before building the rest of the set to try. You may want to make some tweaks based on how things feel when you hit them. Especially do this if you get fit on mats.

Edited by Jc0

• 5 months later...

been awhile since I've posted anything on this however just read the Golfwrx article and it sure pertains!

https://www.golfwrx.com/668154/69-211-mph-ball-speed-inside-james-hart-du-preezs-setup/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Center_Top&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=main

I would say the biggest challenge is his height and getting clubs long enough.

What does he do with length, loft and shaft on his driver?

So the shaft is 46 inches, which, for him obviously, it looks as comfortable as a 45 or 45.5-inch driver would look to a normal human. It was more about comfort. We didn’t want to go too long, so we went with something comfortable for him that he could control. That’s how we landed with 46 inches. As far as loft, he obviously doesn’t need a lot of loft because of his club head speed it just spins too much.  It’s a pretty low lofted driver, a 9-degree Ping G425 LST head (with 8 degrees of actual loft), and a very stiff shaft in that Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green (80 TX, tipped 1-inch).

What are the lengths of his other clubs? Does he have to go super long?

Yeah, plus 2 inches

• Like 2

To add something: I'm 6'4" with a W2F measurement of 35 1/2". I've been fir for either 1/2" or 1" over std pretty much my whole life. I went to a fitting at the Titleist HQ in Carlsbad last year and the guy recommended playing standard length.

All goes to show how different people perceive things differently

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scc13 said:

I am headed to the Ping HQ to get fitted today.  Super curious as I am 6’7” with 39.5” wtf.  My previous fitter at Hot Stix put me into +0.5”.  All charts say 1.5” 2” or more…

Do you know what prompted the fitter to settle on a +0.5" length for you?  I can't imagine any wedge really fits you well, being only a 1/2" over

1 hour ago, m_w said:

To add something: I'm 6'4" with a W2F measurement of 35 1/2". I've been fir for either 1/2" or 1" over std pretty much my whole life. I went to a fitting at the Titleist HQ in Carlsbad last year and the guy recommended playing standard length.

All goes to show how different people perceive things differently

Your wrist to floor is very low for your height.  Very long arms?  Most people near your stature would have that measurement at least 1.5" more than yours

1 minute ago, Cwebb said:

Do you know what prompted the fitter to settle on a +0.5" length for you?  I can't imagine any wedge really fits you well, being only a 1/2" over

A fantastic question!  I have heard that some fitters don’t have the tools/options to adjust for weight as it goes longer.  I built one iron through Taylormade +1.5” as a trial and it felt SO much better.   About to head into my fitting at Ping, so very curious where they think it should be. 

8 minutes ago, scc13 said:

A fantastic question!  I have heard that some fitters don’t have the tools/options to adjust for weight as it goes longer.  I built one iron through Taylormade +1.5” as a trial and it felt SO much better.   About to head into my fitting at Ping, so very curious where they think it should be. 

You need to find your lowest length limit for a sand/lob wedge, that Rybo describes in this thread...and then work up from there.  In other words, don't just get fit into a 6 iron at whatever length over and assume that a whole set will be fine in proportion to that club's length

• Like 1

Came across this thread yesterday while doing some research on club length.   Recent lesson/swing change prompted me to bend my irons 2 degrees upright but after reading all 18 pages lol, it got me thinking about whether my irons (+1/2" over) were too short.   I husseled to golf shop late yesterday and had them extend my PW another +1/2" (+1" total).  Played 9 this morning and really hit the ball well with that club.   For the other clubs, i tried to hold the club on the far butt end (a little bit off the club!) to give me a sense for additional length and it felt so much easier to hit.    Dropped off a few more irons/wedges at local shop on way home and will pick them up in the morning.    Great insight for a 6'4" guy who gets steep with downswing, being struggling on the course and trying to stay committed to learnings from my recent lesson.  Good stuff guys (rybo)!!!

Edited by JLo_73

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD 50S

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Tensei Blue 1K 60S

Paradym Ai Smoke 24* Tensei Pro 1K 70S

Srixon ZX5 mkII  Modus 105R

Callaway JAWS RAW Modus/DG S400

Mizuno M Craft VI

3 hours ago, scc13 said:

I am headed to the Ping HQ to get fitted today.  Super curious as I am 6’7” with 39.5” wtf.  My previous fitter at Hot Stix put me into +0.5”.  All charts say 1.5” 2” or more…

Same specs as you ... at some point 20 years ago I went +2 ... one thing I discovered (for me) was to not go upright on the lie

Will be anxious to see what Ping does for you

Good luck! 🏌‍♂️🥃👍

• Like 1

James Hart Du Preez video

That 46" driver is a bit short for him. His upper body leans forward/body dips at set up and through impact.  Has a huge amount of space between the end of the club and his belt buckle, he's reaching a tremendous amount.  To me it looks like he's attempting to get the toe up on the driver (lie angle) and he does this by reaching out and dropping the handle. 

Likely the only reason for using a 46" driver length was due to the USGA limiting max driver length to 46". 

Edited by rybo
spelling

On 1/21/2022 at 2:09 PM, tboh said:

Same specs as you ... at some point 20 years ago I went +2 ... one thing I discovered (for me) was to not go upright on the lie

Will be anxious to see what Ping does for you

Good luck! 🏌‍♂️🥃👍

It was a blast being at Ping.  After measurement and hitting various lengths, we settled on +1.5" and 2* up for the irons.  For the woods, went +1".   For the putter, we are doing a 38.5" version.  

So fired up to have clubs that are properly fit!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Man this thread speaks to me… 

I’ve always been fit to .5” long (38.5 in 5 iron). Recently picked up a set that I was planning to cut down (39.75 long 5 iron) and I’m really hitting the ball well. 

ok- dig into some measurements.

i’m 6’3” and have a WTF measurement of 39.5”. Can’t believe (based on this post history) I’ve been playing .5” long my whole life without even thinking about going longer…

Edited by Primo1868
  • Like 1

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@C1) Ventus TR Black 6X 

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

So interesting to see the different wrist to floor measurements for us tall guys. I'm 6'6", and my wtf measurement is 36 inches. I've always played 1" over and 2 degrees upright, but after some swing changes years ago, I went to a more standard lie angle, and hit the ball much straighter. 

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

3 hours ago, gioreeko said:

So interesting to see the different wrist to floor measurements for us tall guys. I'm 6'6", and my wtf measurement is 36 inches. I've always played 1" over and 2 degrees upright, but after some swing changes years ago, I went to a more standard lie angle, and hit the ball much straighter. 

Yep ... I've chg frm up to std in Mizuno & the (recent) rights w irons have disappeared plus I just feel I'm hitting them more solid

I didn't make any deliberate swing changes but I'm sure it's not the same as it was years prior

I think this thread is a definite eye-opener just for the fact that every golfer is different (duh no kidding)

• 2 weeks later...

Guys

May just be honeymoon phase but I think stumbling on this thread has changed my life. 

• Like 2

Rotate the following:

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Titliest PV1

3 hours ago, Cwebb said:

So how long did you go?

I went from 38.5” 5 iron to ~39.75”

6’3”, 39.5” WTF. I think the sweet spot for me is going to be ~ 39.5” or so, but, right now I’m not changing anything. 

Usually at ~40% GIR lifetime (using arccos) and have been ~65% over 5 different 9 hole rounds since making the change.

• Like 1

Rotate the following:

Titliest PV1

Last tall guy I fit this is where we ended up.  I had to do some tweaking on the head weights by porting wedges, drilling hosel on a few and some tip weights and lead tape(I am not a pro fitter).  We ended up at a poor mans MOI match once I measured everything.  I keep a couple of grips with the end cap cut out to slide up and down the shaft to get the length where we want it and a roll of lead tape.  Foot powder spray and voila'.

LW, SW, GW, PW - 37.5"

9 - 38"

8 - 38.25"

7 - 38.5"

6 - 39"

5 - 39.25"

4 - 39.5"

Most tall guys I have worked with struggle with the short irons more than they struggle with the long irons as far as length is concerned.  Shoot I am only 6'1" and play my wedges at 37".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• 7 months later...
On 11/16/2016 at 1:20 AM, rybo said:

It seems everybody is focusing on their WTF measurements and while it is important it is only half of the necessary information needed to be fit correctly. Your shoulder height is the other half. The distance from your shoulder to the ground at a 64* lie angle is the minimum length that must be covered. Again shoulder height changes at a rate of more the 2:1 over the increase in arm length.

Something to consider is every 1/2" increase in club length only provides .450" change in hand height at a 64* lie angle. So lets say your hand height is 2" higher than 'standard' you would need a club that is almost 2 1/4" longer just to reach your hands. This is why it is so important to add club length liberally for taller golfers.

Using my height as an example

76" (6' 4") Height

60.88" Shoulder Height

-26.82" Total arm length including hand

34.06" Golfer hand height

67.736" Length from shoulder height to ground at 64*

-34.06" Golfer Hand Height

33.676" Club Grip Height needed at 64*

37.468" Club length provides a 33.676" hand height

Interestingly when doing the low limit length test I repeated at 38", per the anthropometric data and calculations the shortest I should be using is 37.468". Roughly a 1/2" difference, very close! Now I did reduce the sand wedge to 37.75" but not due to the chart, it just felt more user friendly. I repeated at 38" due to some variation in posture or body part sizes. While I think the chart can be useful it has limits due to being based on averages, doing the low length limit test accounts for all of the differences in body parts/posture we all have from averages and is ultimately a direct measurement of what you require.

The length of ones arm from the shoulder creates one radius and the club from the ground up creates another radius. At some point these two radius's have to meet up. You can either do it with additional club length or by contorting your body to fit the club. I'd much rather have sufficient club length and good posture/swing mechanics.

I’ve been poring over this topic. I’m 6’2”, 185 lb.  WTF is 37.5 . Not sure where to measure from for arm length, and shoulder height.  I’m getting 62.5 shoulder height, vs 60.88 for Rybo who is 2 “ taller.  My arm length is 30.5from the center point of the shoulder.  I wear a 34.5 “ shirt sleeve, so I’m a little longer than average, but not extremely so. Pants are 33 inseam, so not disproportionate.  Looking for advice to accurately measure.  And does one measure with shoes that you’d play in?  
in the calculations in Rybos example, it appears that shoulder height to ground at 64* is 7” higher than when standing.  Am I reading this right?  

thanks, 

Edited by st1800e

@rybo this thread is amazing, thanks for your contribution. I'm sure myself and others would love to know what your setup looks like today seeing as 7 years have passed since your original theories on the topic. 

Taylormade OG SIM 10.5 - Ventus TR Red 6-X

TM 300 Mini 13.5 - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

Srixon ZU45 3i 20* - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

Srixon Z785 4-PW Dynamic Gold X7 +1"

Vokey SM9 50F/54F/58D - Dynamic Gold X7 (9i)

Odyssey White Hot #6 Long Neck - KBS GPS 120 Matte Black / SS Flatso 1.0

Titleist ProV1

21 hours ago, Baby_Draw said:

@rybo this thread is amazing, thanks for your contribution. I'm sure myself and others would love to know what your setup looks like today seeing as 7 years have passed since your original theories on the topic. 

babydraw

I do not post or even frequent golfwrx all that much anymore due to some members making the forums unbearable and/or not worth the effort. 

First off, shoes on.  It makes a difference. 

Second my current setup and focus gravitates more on the wedges as these clubs need the most length increase and you’ll see the biggest benefit. My current Lob Wedge is a Cleveland full face at 36.75”. Although not as long as some before, it’s working well enough as I only use the LW in the sand and in select situations. I used to use LW about 80% around the greens, now it probably less then 15%. Otherwise my SW, GW, & PW are all the same length at 37”. It’s as short as I feel comfortable with.  The other wedges and irons are all Ping. Easy to order the length and swing weight you desire. I will say after a couple of failed attempts with lighter swing weights, I will not go below D6 and prefer D7-D8 depending on head/shaft/length combo. Irons usually fall between +1 - 1.25”.  I relented and use lie angles at 2° up. Sometimes 2.5° depending on the sole grind and leading edge. 

I’ve settled on Project X LZ 6.5’s for all wedges and irons in my last couple of sets. They just work for me. Second choice is KBS Tour V’s. 

Lastly, I’ve been using 37” putter length for a couple of years now. According to this video, I may need an additional 1” or so!  

Rybo

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 1:58 PM, st1800e said:

I’ve been poring over this topic. I’m 6’2”, 185 lb.  WTF is 37.5 . Not sure where to measure from for arm length, and shoulder height.  I’m getting 62.5 shoulder height, vs 60.88 for Rybo who is 2 “ taller.  My arm length is 30.5from the center point of the shoulder.  I wear a 34.5 “ shirt sleeve, so I’m a little longer than average, but not extremely so. Pants are 33 inseam, so not disproportionate.  Looking for advice to accurately measure.  And does one measure with shoes that you’d play in?  
in the calculations in Rybos example, it appears that shoulder height to ground at 64* is 7” higher than when standing.  Am I reading this right?  

thanks, 

Correction on measurements.  Did these with help and in the AM.  W2F is 37” right, 37.5 left, yes triple checked.     Height with shoes on is 6’ 2.75”. Shoulder 62.75” to top of shoulder where the clavicle meets the shoulder.  
still can’t figure out the shoulder @ 64* measurement.  
Ive had back issues for years, recently had 8 lumbar nerves ablated.  Haven’t felt this good for years.  I’m in the process of extending my irons and leaving for golf in 6 days. 
Would really appreciate if I could get some guidance on length.  

thank you