New Foresight policy/pricing for used GC2

smrtchar

Some back story (you can skip to the bottom if you just want to learn about Foresight's new policy/pricing):

I was in the market for a GC2a. Was able to find deals on eBay and other forums ranging from $3500-$6000+; thought the main price difference would be wear on the device, but I found out it was really what the demand was at that given time. Prices were lower in the summer and started to increase towards winter. Also, some included additional course software which would affect the price.

Curious what the cost of a new GC2a was, contacted Foresight and also coincidentally met a salesperson at a local fitting event. The cost of a new GC2a is $6695 + tax (since I live in CA). Tax can be saved if I mail this to a relative outside of CA; with tax coming out to $600+, I seriously considered this. This comes with software with range and 1 course. The newer models also have the bigger flash unit which allow for 3x more swings to be recorded than the previous model.

Both of the salesmen were adamant to NOT buy a GC2 second hand. Both warned me that with a large number of units that will be available from Golfsmith, that Foresight will gouge second hand owners with a new policy.

I thought this was just a tactic to sell new, because what other hardware company gouges second hand owners (I'm sure they are out there)? If true, this policy would hurt the resell value tremendously at the time when people are buying them on eBay for close to the price of new. Also, the same salesperson that was preaching the gouge was selling used GC2s on eBay for a high price.

So I did research and found info on their new "policy" and felt the need to share:

Foresight's new policy:

If you are not the original owner of the GC2, then you are required to pay a $500 registration transfer fee. Without paying this fee you cannot do business with Foresight. This includes buying any accessories, batteries, or support for your GC2 unit.

From speaking with previous owners, this registration transfer process used to be FREE.

Foresight also has raised their diagnostic and tuning fee to $3,000 for second hand owners. Couldn't find direct sources from Foresight, but I was told by the salesmen that this is a process where Foresight will go through all the sensors, cameras, and connectors to clean and calibrate. In essence it's like a refurbishment process without any replacement of parts. They will also run diagnostics on the flash unit and battery and let you know how much life is left on them.

Previous owners have shared that this used to cost $300-$500.

Final notes and closing:

I noticed that I used both GC2 and GC2a in my post. For those that don't know, GC2a is a newer model with an upgraded Apple-compatible bluetooth. These policies are in effect for both models.

You are able to find accessories and even batteries from the secondary market. But it does require some research and lots of patience. So there is convenience in buying directly from Foresight.

Personally, I do feel that these are not great policies from a consumer standpoint. Not only for people trying to buy but for current owners of GC2. This policy reduces the resale value of GC2 units. I wonder how much someone is willing to pay if they realize it'll cost $500 + the cost of a flash modules which will need to be replaced sooner or later. Flash units are hard to find on the secondary market.

But, maybe this policy won't affect people's thoughts on purchasing GC2 and just think of it as cost of ownership. Golfers, including me, I've found to have the craziest logic when it comes to the cost of playing our beloved sport.

This post isn't meant to bash Foresight; as a business owner, sometimes I need to enforce policy that are unpopular to my clients but is for the best of the company. But I wanted to share what I've found so that others looking to purchase a GC2, new or used, will have all the information necessary to make a good purchase.

*Prices were acquired from Foresight salesmen both with @foresightsports.com emails

** Information from previous owners were acquired through 3 owners at a local country club as well as 2 owners on golf simulator forum

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 🔸🔸🔸 LS 9.0* - Fujikura Ventus Black w/ Velocore 6x

3-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback 13.5* - Accra FX 2.0 300F M5

5-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback Tour 16.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80 X

3-Iron: Mizuno MP-20 HMB - Project X 6.5

4-PW: Mizuno JPX 919 Tour - Project X 6.5

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 52.09 - Project X 6.5

Taylormade MG3 56.12; Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 60* - Project X 6.0

Putter: Sik Pro Armlock - LAGolf Shaft

Ball: ProV1

Bag: Nike Air Hybrid

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SkyTrak looks like a pretty nice unit for ball data only; club data appears to be calculated. My only concern is the 6 month warranty.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

I believe that the price on monitors is soon going to fall as well. They have been extremely high for the common person for many years, but recent advancements are rapidly becoming easier to obtain. I'd be a buyer under $1000 for something that can give closed data on a wide variety of metrics and clubhead/ball at impact.

Buy a SkyTrak. They're on sale through the end of th e year for $1700. Same technology as GC2. I'm not in any way affiliated with SkyTrak.

Buy a SkyTrak. They're on sale through the end of the year for $1700. Same technology as GC2. I'm not in any way affiliated with SkyTrak.

A Skytrak is decent but it is in no way the same technology as a GC2. In fact the technology in a Skytrak is pretty much the same as a Vector Pro.with the addition of a bluetooth connection to a smartphone since the smartphone app is the actual mage processor and display, Actually a Vector Pro had much better software although you did need a low level computer.

For all the money involved, for a Private Individual,

just keep HOING !!! Buy well, eg buy TM after 91 days old, and sell well.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

• 7 months later...

Hey, I am looking at a GC Quad. I note they are selling for $US18K with the FSX software. To buy where I live (outside the US) the package is going to cost about 5K more (regardless of the relevant taxes)! They are saying the units (?software) will only work in the country of purchase, which seems a bit restrictive given a proportion of their market would be touring pros? Can anyone shed some light on this? Many thanks!

Hey, I am looking at a GC Quad. I note they are selling for $US18K with the FSX software. To buy where I live (outside the US) the package is going to cost about 5K more (regardless of the relevant taxes)! They are saying the units (?software) will only work in the country of purchase, which seems a bit restrictive given a proportion of their market would be touring pros? Can anyone shed some light on this? Many thanks!

My friend bought a GC Quad from the US and took it to Japan and Korea. Been 2 months and working fine. Where'd you hear this from?

5-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback Tour 16.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80 X

My friend bought a GC Quad from the US and took it to Japan and Korea. Been 2 months and working fine. Where'd you hear this from?

I phoned foresight US to get from the horses mouth. The rep told me it will only work in the country of sale unless you are a tour pro, in which case for a fee they will allow cross boarder use. The unit has to be connected to the internet every 45 days to receive a "ping" and enable continued use (proved your internet connection is in the country of purchase). They say this policy is to minimise the risk of replica copies of the device. I suspect it is to protect the distributors in markets with lower sale volumes. Frankly, I'm sick of paying more for things (here) you can get more cheaply in the US. I'd be interested to hear how effective this restriction policy actually is at preventing parallel importing?

How would that restriction even work? There is no GPS in the unit. You're only going to get problems with the power. 110V/230V.

How would that restriction even work? There is no GPS in the unit. You're only going to get problems with the power. 110V/230V.

As I said, they say the Quad requires connection to the internet once every 45 days. Presumably it will recognise your IP address, and if your IP address is in the country of purchase, the Quad receives a "ping" via the FSX software, which enables ongoing use. My local rep told me his unit wouldn't work in the US when he took it there. Maybe using a VPN (similar to people using Netflix in non US countries to get US only content) would trick the system?

As I said, they say the Quad requires connection to the internet once every 45 days. Presumably it will recognise your IP address, and if your IP address is in the country of purchase, the Quad receives a "ping" via the FSX software, which enables ongoing use. My local rep told me his unit wouldn't work in the US when he took it there. Maybe using a VPN (similar to people using Netflix in non US countries to get US only content) would trick the system?

I work in tech, and what you are saying sounds like something a lot of hardware manufacturers are doing. As long as the connection to Foresight is on a computer/software, I was going to suggest running a VPN as well. But if it's a direct hardware to internet connection, then you'd need to trick it from the router, which is doable, but more work.

Let me message my friend and see if his is still working in Korea.

Is Quad only compatible with FSX? What if you use an older version of the software?

Seems like they are just trying to protect their product and market share. But as stated before this is all going to change in the next 1-3 years. Technology is only getting better and over time it'll only get cheaper.

Swing Caddie SC200 gives you distances for $350, seriously debating this just for my wedge game.

[size=2]Taylormade M2 9.5* (‘17) - Alda Rogue Black 95MSI 70g-X
Taylormade V-Steel 15* - Aldila NV Proto 75g-X
Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 20* - UST Mamiya TSPX 85g-X
Srixon Z765 4i-9i - Nippon Modus 3 120x
Vokey 46.08 : 52.08 : 56.10 Spin Milled : 60.04
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 - 35.75"[/size]

I think accurate clubhead data is very important data to have. It is pretty difficult to tell your angle of approach and lie angle problems simply from ball data. Angle of approach and lie angle at impact is all i have working on for the last 6 months. I've gone from 5 degrees toe down to consistently less than 2 degrees. My angle of approach with the 7 iron has gone from 1 degree up to consistently more than 2 degrees down. I don't know how I could have done it without club data. After much thought, I've decided to stay with the GC2/HMT. I really don't think it is worth the > $10K to upgrade just for the improved portability and alignment stick. I believe the HMT is pretty accurate machine (well accurate enough)

And RCorsa suggests the FsX is not a significant step up...

Update from my friend in Korea:

GCQuad is only compatible with FSX. Guess they really don't want people using it with third party apps.

Luckily, it's FSX that is connecting to Foresight for verification so he got it to work with VPN. He personally uses PrivateInternetAccess as his VPN.

I understand their model and high price. They're not a mass-market product so with limited market, need to maximize their margins.

Personally, I've been contemplating GCQuad and Trackman. Here's a quick article I found in case any of you guys are also considering one or the other:

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/test-foresight-gc-quad-v-trackman-4/

• 6 months later...

Hello. I was looking to purchase a GC2 that was recenty refurbished. Can anyone confimr that I can use a non-forseight software simulator with this just as JNPG? Thank you

I can't speak to JNPG but many have integrated GC2 with other 3rd party sims (such as TGC seems to be the more commonly used one): You should be able to get more detailed answers at this forum:

https://golfsimulatorforum.com/

or the foresight specific sub-forum.

https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/foresight-sports

• 1 year later...