Who here putts with their pointer finger pointing down?

Bomber_11

I putt this way with my index finger of my right hand pointing down. I Incorporated that grip without anybody else's input it's just something I tried and that's what I feel comfortable with. I have tried putting with the finger retracted but feel very uncomfortable and can't seem to control the putter face as well.

For what it's worth, my biggest issue with putting is closing the putter face when I am a bit under pressure that causes a pull to the left. It's like I choose a line to putt on and don't trust my decision. I don't think this has to do with my pointer finger pointing down?

Nope that does not have anything to do with your pointer finger pointing down. You gotta psyche yourself out and TRUST your line decision

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

The main thing regardless of what ever anyone else thinks of it is that your hands are comfortable on the grip. ANY discomfort at all will cause tension and tension in the hands will cause trouble on ANY golf shot not just putting

BTW I grip my putter the same as all my clubs and drop the right index finger down some as in Ray Floyd's "Trigger Finger" I also tape my finger like he does. I copied it from him because I was around him some when I was young and my old man and a lot of those old timers did the same thing

For the record I will state I could care less what Hank Haney says of course he has made a lot of money shooting folks a line of BS. But I can look at myself in the mirror when I shave every morning too!

Remember there is no one set in stone way to play or execute this game. If you are relaxed putting the finger down the club like that by all means do it!

I remember Raymond Floyd using like a 37 inch putter and having a pretty wristy stroke. But I don't remember him putting his finger down the shaft, it was always a reverse overlap wasn't it? And a trigger finger is very different than an outstretched finger down the shaft. No reason to argue the matter, because yes, if you're smooth, any grip in the world will work fine. But for many folks, it is hard to be smooth with a tense right forearm...

Some very interesting comments in here, & I appreciate them all. There is no doubt that I feel more comfortable putting with my index finger pointing down, and that's why I started it some five years ago. I have a practice green downstairs and went down for some testing, putting using both methods, finger up & down. It appears that when my finger is down it actually tries to act like a lever, trying to aid the putter face direction. I can't say I was overly successful with the finger up but it doesn't appear like I am trying to pull the putt at all because the lever finger is gone. I like what Big Stu mentioned when he said everybody has a different style and to go with what works, but I think I'm going to go back and forth for a while with the finger up or down to see if I'm not more successful one way or the other. Thanks

This was one of the first things my coach pointed out to me. He said everyone he has seen us this grip, flips their wrists or does weird hand movements when putting and it throws everything off.

My coach said the same thing. Something to do with your wrist being in the wrong position when your finger runs down the shaft. The change certainly turned me from a crap putter to a mediocre one, so I stuck with it.

Yea, for me he said it was most likely the reason my right hand wanted to be so flippy, basically the grip encouraged it during my stroke.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

I putt with my index/pointer finger of both hands facing down and most would suggest putting is a strength of my game. That said putting is very personal - just look how many different grips there are on tour. Who would have thought a few years ago players who are good enough to make millions would have grips such as the claw, Kucher method, Langer method etc. I think Haney is talking rubbish in this case (he does make sense on other aspects of the game tbh).

I putt with my index/pointer finger of both hands facing down and most would suggest putting is a strength of my game. That said putting is very personal - just look how many different grips there are on tour. Who would have thought a few years ago players who are good enough to make millions would have grips such as the claw, Kucher method, Langer method etc. I think Haney is talking rubbish in this case (he does make sense on other aspects of the game tbh).

some very good points you have made, and there are many successful grips used throughout the PGA. I have been using the grip that includes pointing my index finger down and am coming to believe it has influenced my right wrist to be a little flippy so to speak. Yeah especially happens when I put more pressure on myself to make a putt, especially in tournaments, and I think my right hand wants to flip a little bit and guide the putt to the hole. Putting for many golfers is an ever-evolving skill set, and I'm still working on my grip has a whole.

Shaking my head at this post and also agreeing with many people. A couple years ago I played in a ProAm and watched a mini tour guy putt this way. He did very well and was fun to watch. After observing his success I started messing around with this grip.

Before then my main thought was to have the back of my right hand (I'm left handed) point and lead the putting stroke toward the target. I found having my left index down the grip while simultaneously/equally thinking about a right hand leading the stroke gave me great stability. Like two opposing forces on the grip that made the shaft stay put and the face very stable. That feeling clicked something into place in my brain and is very comfortable for me now.

Everyone is going to have a different key and feeling for their stroke. Try something new once in a while and challenge yourself to get better.

I putt with both pointer fingers down. I am right handed I wrap the fingers of my right hand around my left pointer finger and have my right pointer finger pointing down also. I feel like both of my hands are more connected. The best putter grip I have found for using this grip style is the Super Stroke SS2R square grip.

WITB
 Ping G425 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TSR2+  Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TS3  18* set to C1 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Callaway UW 21* Oban Kiyoshi white 75 stiff
Ping I210 5-UW Veylix arcane copper mod 1010
Edel SMS V grind  54* Accra SP Wedge 
Edel SMS V grind 58* Accra Hybrex Wedge
SiK DW 2.0 slant neck LA Golf Soho Green or Argolf Merlin Accra FX200 shaft
Titleist ProV1 Yellow

The main thing regardless of what ever anyone else thinks of it is that your hands are comfortable on the grip. ANY discomfort at all will cause tension and tension in the hands will cause trouble on ANY golf shot not just putting

BTW I grip my putter the same as all my clubs and drop the right index finger down some as in Ray Floyd's "Trigger Finger" I also tape my finger like he does. I copied it from him because I was around him some when I was young and my old man and a lot of those old timers did the same thing

For the record I will state I could care less what Hank Haney says of course he has made a lot of money shooting folks a line of BS. But I can look at myself in the mirror when I shave every morning too!

Remember there is no one set in stone way to play or execute this game. If you are relaxed putting the finger down the club like that by all means do it!

I remember Raymond Floyd using like a 37 inch putter and having a pretty wristy stroke. But I don't remember him putting his finger down the shaft, it was always a reverse overlap wasn't it? And a trigger finger is very different than an outstretched finger down the shaft. No reason to argue the matter, because yes, if you're smooth, any grip in the world will work fine. But for many folks, it is hard to be smooth with a tense right forearm...

No he did not put his finger down the shaft like the OP described. Back in those days with the type and length of the grass on the greens one had to be a little wristy. I still am to some extent. And yes the trigger finger is a lot different. I just mentioned it as an option in general conversation. And absolutely yes it is hard to be smooth with tension anywhere in the stroke especially the right forearm

I grip the putter like all my other clubs as well with pointer finger down the shaft. Distance control is much easier for me that way. I also use a 100g TLP.

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

I grip the putter like all my other clubs as well with pointer finger down the shaft. Distance control is much easier for me that way. I also use a 100g TLP.

What benefits do you get from the counterweight? I am assuming that you have an extended shaft?

Yep, it just gets your wrists back into the putter stroke. I have tried it but use a regular putter grip. The putter head should go towards the hole, not your finger.

All depends how you define 'pointing' at the hole, face or toe? Also, arcing strokes and SBST will have two entirely different thru-stroke outcomes, and the result of each is neither bad, just due to style.

This wrist flipping talk is all a matter of how stable you can keep the hands, and how much pressure you are applying with each hand and/or finger. I agree with the idea that strangling the club and pressing hard with the finger down could cause issues, but choking the putter with any grip is going to cause release problems, least of which is 'flipping'.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I putt with my right index finger down the shaft as well. I am by no stretch of the imagination a great putter. More of a streaky putter if that makes sense. The first club I picked up was a putter when I was 12. This is how I gripped it then. I have experimented without the finger down as well as both index fingers down the shaft and I keep coming back to the one finger method. It is what feels comfortable. In my opinion the putter is the most personal club in the bag and I don't really care if none of the pros putt this way or all of them do. If you aren't comfortable and confident over a putt, you have very little chance of making it. IMHO

One of my best friends putts this way and he will light you up!! .... he also uses a 10 finger grip on his other clubs.

I think a lot of people use this grip because they are trying to hold the putter face square to the line (sbst) stroke even though sbst still rotates a tiny bit.

Eric

My father has always putt this way and I can count on one hand how many times I've seen him 3 putt. He's a firm believer in whatever gets the ball in the hole on the green which is also why he still uses his old trusty copper Ping Pal. He's just as deadly with an old 7 wood too. Clearly not a WRXer.

Callaway Rogue 10.5*

TaylorMade 300 Mini 13.5*

Callaway Rogue 17*
Ping G400 4-UW
Ping Glide 3.0 54* SS, 60* Eye 2
Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I usually point my thumb down after I miss the putt.

Actually, I have had the strangest grip this season, with my left index finger pointing kinda downwards, I putt left hand low. Funny thing is, I have been putting really well, only thing that saved my game this year. Will try post a picture if I get a chance.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Charl Schwartzel has done it with success in the past. Also, with other ridiculous looking methods out there like the claw, the pencil etc., I think the traditional looking grip with a finger pointed downward is the least of anyone's worries.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Has anyone ever seen a pro putt with their finger down?

Yep Seve and Mark McNulty

Has anyone ever seen a pro putt with their finger down?

Yep Seve and Mark McNulty

Two of the greatest putter of all time. McNulty used an old Bullseye mainly and although Seve did change putters a few times he won majors with, I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) Tad Moore putters amongst others before the hand-made rage took off. Both could probably putt well with anything. As someone said above they clearly were/would not be WRXers! RIP Seve!

Two old pros are all you can find to support the one finger down? Most all older pros were wrist putters. That is not what I see modern professional golfers doing. The claw grip does not put you wrists into the putting stroke, but the finger does. I didn't say a golfer cannot be a good putter using the finger down. I said it puts the wrists back into the stroke. Please take time to read what I am posting. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :-)

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

No it does not. A bad stroke does! Yes older pros were wrist putter but how you put your hands on the putter does not greatly influence the stroke, particularly if you rock the shoulders or putt from the chest. How strong the grip does - I try to to keep it gentle. Strangling the putter puts the wrists into the stroke.

Those two pro's were chosen as the memorable pro's who did. If your read my earlier posts you will note that I state that there is no right or wrong - just different methods. When I was young putting cack handed was considered the first signs of the yips or already being a bad putter. Now many believe it is the way you should learn to put to start with. Each to their own.

"Strangling the putter puts the wrists into the stroke." I cannot understand this theory. I have always been taught a tight grip keeps the wrists from breaking in a golf swing. Oh, well I know how I putt and am not changing anytime soon. Have a Happy New Year!

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

What benefits do you get from the counterweight? I am assuming that you have an extended shaft?

It smooths out my stroke from start to finish. When the putter is too light I can either decel to easily, or get jabby through the ball, and blow it by the hole. It basically stops me from doing something stupid.....most times.

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

I have been practicing on my putting green at home for the last couple weeks trying different grip techniques, but I think I am going to stick with my index finger pointing down on my right hand. I just seem to have better control of the club face when I do that and can keep lighter grip pressure as well. It just takes a conscious effort not to add wrist into the putt and use the shoulders as a pendulum. Funny thing is when you trust the line you chose to putt on you have less chance of using wrists in the stroke. It's like you have to remind yourself as part of your pre-shot routine to just use shoulders and not wrist and trust the line you chose and put it on that line.

Ok would 1 of the down finger hatters please post a picture of their grip. I have always put that finger down and leave it dead through the stroke it just feels right to Me and I feel like when Im practiced I can putt with most anyone I have played golf with. Im not saying Im great just didn't seem that I was bad for letting the right hand finger point.

I putt like this, granted my hands are more level...as in the palms almost face each other. This year I averaged 29.7 strokes per round (what can I say...I'm a data guy). Anyways, considering the best PGA players average about 27 putts/round, I'd say I'm doing pretty damn good with this grip. I can tell you that the putting grip is very personal and I don't think one type of grip is worse than the other...hell, that ugly reverse claw grip some of these pros are using (Phil and Sergio come to mind) proves my point.