Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

Guys, I'm out on Saturday. The wife wants to play with me. If anyone wants to join us let me know.

Enjoy the round. I love it when my wife and I go out together. Sometimes we make it a family and put the kids in the cart with us. Don't worry we usually do it week days after 5 when the course is basically empty.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally want to see you have a 6-wedge bag.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Haha! Now that would be nuts. These are my dad and I's new clubs. He got the 50/54/58 wedges, and I got the 52/56. And I hardly ever take the 56 out of my bag. Anything 120 yards in, I either use my PW or 52°.

Did you order that set or was it a giveaway?

Ordered! (Back in March...)

No one wants pictures of a damn box, show us the clubs!

If only it were that simple. Box showed up to my parents house in Illinois. Trying to decide if I want to drive back home over a weekend to grab them, or just convince my mom to box them up VERY carefully and mail them out to me. I'm super antsy though and just want them in my hands now!

Haha! Now that would be nuts. These are my dad and I's new clubs. He got the 50/54/58 wedges, and I got the 52/56. And I hardly ever take the 56 out of my bag. Anything 120 yards in, I either use my PW or 52°.

Did you order that set or was it a giveaway?

Ordered! (Back in March...)

No one wants pictures of a damn box, show us the clubs!

If only it were that simple. Box showed up to my parents house in Illinois. Trying to decide if I want to drive back home over a weekend to grab them, or just convince my mom to box them up VERY carefully and mail them out to me. I'm super antsy though and just want them in my hands now!

They're not in the box any more? Hope your mom hits 'em well before sending them off to you!

You guys see a Denver native is getting his PGA Tour debut at tomorrow's Traveler's Championship?

Wyndham Clark. From Denver, just graduated from University of Oregon where he won bunch of stuff and had a very successful collegiate career. Looks like he's playing a full PXG bag too. I hope he does well!

Yeah-hope he does great. Valor graduate one year before my son got there, and part of their successful golf program coached by Jason Preeo. Initially went to OK State for a few years, then transferred to Oregon for his senior year. Quite a turnaround story.

Any of you guys play in the CGA Match Play this week @ Ravenna? Unique, difficult course, final 8 teeing off this morning. The college kids really dominate these events. Our son made it into the round of 16, got beat yesterday afternoon. Really good run for him this week.

You guys see a Denver native is getting his PGA Tour debut at tomorrow's Traveler's Championship?

Wyndham Clark. From Denver, just graduated from University of Oregon where he won bunch of stuff and had a very successful collegiate career. Looks like he's playing a full PXG bag too. I hope he does well!

Yeah-hope he does great. Valor graduate one year before my son got there, and part of their successful golf program coached by Jason Preeo. Initially went to OK State for a few years, then transferred to Oregon for his senior year. Quite a turnaround story.

Any of you guys play in the CGA Match Play this week @ Ravenna? Unique, difficult course, final 8 teeing off this morning. The college kids really dominate these events. Our son made it into the round of 16, got beat yesterday afternoon. Really good run for him this week.

This is the only CGA I skip. Man it's tough to take a week off work for a golf tournament. I also always feel like a super old guy being one of only 5 guys over 25 years old.

I've seen a lot more college kids at the CGA events this year. I'm not sure why that is. I was in the final group @ raccoon creek a few weeks ago and played with CSU, CU and UNC golfers. It was a little awkward being the only one not talking about their golf team or their D1 golf season, lol.

Congrats to your son, he clearly played well. Does he play in many of the CGA's? If so I'll say hi if I see him at the next one (CGA Western Chapter for me). Really just qualifiers, the CO Open and the CGA Amateur in July.

Thanks-Yeah, you make a good point-tough for guys with real jobs to take the week off for a golf tournament. The college kids mostly have nothing better to do :).

Our son just graduated high school, I think this was his first CGA event. He will play the US Jr AM qualifier, US Am qualifier, and the Jr Stroke and Jr Match Play events yet, then he is off to college golf in August.

I did see a few guys in their 30's and 40's....really good players, but it is predominantly 18-23 year olds....

He used to practice out at Highlands Ranch when he was working with Craig Kooi. Dude just ROPES the ball. The sound he makes on an all-out driver is impressive. Looks like he's having a rough day today.

On the CGA note, I wish there was more mid am type stuff where its 25+ or 30+.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

I'm up to $290 in pro shop credit from men's league so far.....what do I buy?

I can buy another putter, because I simply cannot have enough putters....I basically have one or two 3-putts and then think, well must be the club cause it can't possibly be me! Seriously though I will probably never be happy with a putter no matter what.....so I like having enough options to switch them out rather than always having to buy another one.

Or...I can buy either a fairway wood or hybrid. I'm not in love with my 3-wood, but I rarely hit it. I basically avoid hitting it like the plague at my home course because I'm just far more consistent with my driver. On a regulation course I will probably hit it 2-3 times a round at most. I do not like hitting it off a tee....maybe I should just take a lesson and figure that out or just go pound balls with it until I get it down.

As for a hybrid, I don't carry one now. I have a TM 7-wood burner bubble as my club between my 5-iron and my 3-wood. It's 20 years old, but I have yet to find a hybrid that I can hit better. It also has some sentimental value as well.

It's just hard to want to buy something I will hit so little, where a putter you use every single hole......the problem alway is...which putter? :)

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

I'm up to $290 in pro shop credit from men's league so far.....what do I buy?

I can buy another putter, because I simply cannot have enough putters....I basically have one or two 3-putts and then think, well must be the club cause it can't possibly be me! Seriously though I will probably never be happy with a putter no matter what.....so I like having enough options to switch them out rather than always having to buy another one.

Or...I can buy either a fairway wood or hybrid. I'm not in love with my 3-wood, but I rarely hit it. I basically avoid hitting it like the plague at my home course because I'm just far more consistent with my driver. On a regulation course I will probably hit it 2-3 times a round at most. I do not like hitting it off a tee....maybe I should just take a lesson and figure that out or just go pound balls with it until I get it down.

As for a hybrid, I don't carry one now. I have a TM 7-wood burner bubble as my club between my 5-iron and my 3-wood. It's 20 years old, but I have yet to find a hybrid that I can hit better. It also has some sentimental value as well.

It's just hard to want to buy something I will hit so little, where a putter you use every single hole......the problem alway is...which putter? :)

I just ordered myself a hybrid this morning with my shop credit from men's league. Must be that time of year :)

I hit a bunch of different hybrids as well as the T-MB (didn't fly high enough for me - would probably be great off the tee, but not much else for me), and ended up settling on the Callaway Steelhead XR 22* 4H with Fujikura Speeder 865 shaft. It has a similar shaft profile to the Oban Devotion 8 and Veylix 988, which I both really liked, but unfortunately isn't an offering through Callaway. If the shaft doesn't end up meeting my expectations, then I'll order one of the other shafts.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I just ordered myself a hybrid this morning with my shop credit from men's league. Must be that time of year :)

I hit a bunch of different hybrids as well as the T-MB (didn't fly high enough for me - would probably be great off the tee, but not much else for me), and ended up settling on the Callaway Steelhead XR 22* 4H with Fujikura Speeder 865 shaft. It has a similar shaft profile to the Oban Devotion 8 and Veylix 988, which I both really liked, but unfortunately isn't an offering through Callaway. If the shaft doesn't end up meeting my expectations, then I'll order one of the other shafts.

Whoa....you just totally went all WRX on that post.

:sign:

I probably don't put near enough effort into finding the right shaft for hybrids and woods. I have the stock shaft in my driver and love it.

Went out with my brother and played 9 this morning/around noon before the weather got gross. Was pretty windy and the weather was starting to look a little nasty, so we played a little faster than normal. He did great, but turns out I'm still struggling massively, especially off the tee which is normally my strength.

Sigh. :) Back to struggling. Hope all you folks are well.

I started struggling a bit off the tee lately too, which has been my strong suit this year. It will come back around. You're a solid golfer and have the drive to turn it around.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Yeah my game is all over the place lately, more than usual. Played GVR this morning from the tips again, birdied 10 and 12 (we started on 10). On 12 I went driver-3w and had a 6 foot eagle putt that I couldn't convert. Rest of the round was...not so good.

We then decided to go play another 18 at Murphy Creek. Holy crap did that wind make the front harder than normal. Got rained on a little but basically had the course to ourselves. It was great. Being self employed does have some benefits I guess :)

Yeah my game is all over the place lately, more than usual. Played GVR this morning from the tips again, birdied 10 and 12 (we started on 10). On 12 I went driver-3w and had a 6 foot eagle putt that I couldn't convert. Rest of the round was...not so good.

We then decided to go play another 18 at Murphy Creek. Holy crap did that wind make the front harder than normal. Got rained on a little but basically had the course to ourselves. It was great. Being self employed does have some benefits I guess :)

Ain't it the best, being out there alone? What do you do that finds you self-employed?

Or you can always go with the tried and true backup that you will use on every shot on every hole.... golf balls.

If I don't want anything specific that's what I always fall back to, give me some ProV1x's. Also, you can trade in a new box anywhere, it's like the universal golf cash!

I'm with you here. You can trade them in anywhere? Didn't know that!

Ain't it the best, being out there alone? What do you do that finds you self-employed?

Or you can always go with the tried and true backup that you will use on every shot on every hole.... golf balls.

If I don't want anything specific that's what I always fall back to, give me some ProV1x's. Also, you can trade in a new box anywhere, it's like the universal golf cash!

I'm a lawyer and have my own firm, I'm a sole practitioner...I can get a lot of my work done whenever, so I do a lot of work at night after the kids go to bed. And yes, it is awesome when you have the course to your self like that. We had a threesome ahead of us that we didn't see after like 3 holes, and the weather must have scared everyone else away. It was great.

I'm a lawyer and have my own firm, I'm a sole practitioner...I can get a lot of my work done whenever, so I do a lot of work at night after the kids go to bed. And yes, it is awesome when you have the course to your self like that. We had a threesome ahead of us that we didn't see after like 3 holes, and the weather must have scared everyone else away. It was great.

Working after the kids go to bed...I might have to employ that strategy if it's tough being a stay-at-home dad and working as well.

I use to do work after my son went to bed, but I'd end up working 10pm to 4am and then getting up at 9am to start it all over. Being honest I wore myself out. Now if my son asks me to take him to bed I end up falling asleep with him and just wake up at 6am to start the day.

Problem I've faced my whole life is a work/life or school/life balance. I've always skewed to work or school but after having my son I really moved to more 'life' and spending time with my family (outside the golf course of course :) ).

Definitely a hard balance to make at times, but being with my wife and son makes everything more worthwhile.

I play in couples league with my wife. I love it. No pressure to play well

Yeah I love couples league. It might be slightly unfair though as my wife shoots in the 80's and I'm a plus cap.

It was hilarious the first time we played because there was a "take two drives from each person" rule. The backstory is that I hit my driver about 315-335 avg. However, the only drives of mine we took were the two par 3's because my wife hits it 230 from the ladies tees, which ends up about 50 yards past me all the time.

I play in couples league with my wife. I love it. No pressure to play well

Yeah I love couples league. It might be slightly unfair though as my wife shoots in the 80's and I'm a plus cap.

It was hilarious the first time we played because there was a "take two drives from each person" rule. The backstory is that I hit my driver about 315-335 avg. However, the only drives of mine we took were the two par 3's because my wife hits it 230 from the ladies tees, which ends up about 50 yards past me all the time.

that's my life but I don't hit it 300+. when we go out together, if I smoke a drive I'm still 40 behind her but love playing scrambles from there :)

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

I use to do work after my son went to bed, but I'd end up working 10pm to 4am and then getting up at 9am to start it all over. Being honest I wore myself out. Now if my son asks me to take him to bed I end up falling asleep with him and just wake up at 6am to start the day.

Problem I've faced my whole life is a work/life or school/life balance. I've always skewed to work or school but after having my son I really moved to more 'life' and spending time with my family (outside the golf course of course :) ).

Definitely a hard balance to make at times, but being with my wife and son makes everything more worthwhile.

Agree completely. I would easily give up a day on the course for some time playing with my son. He may not remember those time but I always will.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

I don't lose enough balls to buy more of them mid-season..... ;)