Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

Yep, that's the exact same format. I was hoping to get my cap up around 0 for it but I also wasn't going to BS and sandbag. I'll have to settle for +1.2 this weekend since they're using the 6/1 revision. Too bad too because my choke at highland hills this weekend would've helped, LOL.

Do you have to give a shot back on #18 handicap hole. That's just sucks to have to make a birdie to net par.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just say no to match play with handicaps

What I love about golf is that handicaps allow anyone to play anyone else on equal grounds.

I could never play 1-on-1 against the worst NBA player even if I just needed to make one basket to win.

I used to be a decent tennis player, but I could never beat lowest-ranked ATP player (Aziz Ouakaa, 2073rd in the world) even if I was given a 6-0 6-0 5-0 30-Love lead.

If I was given 13-14 strokes (based off a 10 course handicap), I could probably hold my own against any professional golfer.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

What I love about golf is that handicaps allow anyone to play anyone else on equal grounds.

I could never play 1-on-1 against the worst NBA player even if I just needed to make one basket to win.

I used to be a decent tennis player, but I could never beat lowest-ranked ATP player (Aziz Ouakaa, 2073rd in the world) even if I was given a 6-0 6-0 5-0 30-Love lead.

If I was given 13-14 strokes (based off a 10 course handicap), I could probably hold my own against any professional golfer.

My buddies and I love to play the what-if game....and this one always comes up...

If you could play a 4-ball scramble with yourself, how would you do on the PGA Tour? I personally wouldn't have the length to play many of those courses, but if you give me 4 chances, I think I could do quite well. Just imagine not ever taking a penalty or a bunker shot (in theory) and getting a chance to have 4 cracks at every putt. I think that the 230+ par 3's at sea level would make me work pretty hard for a par but I'm pretty sure someone like Joel would win pretty much every event he entered.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Yep, that's the exact same format. I was hoping to get my cap up around 0 for it but I also wasn't going to BS and sandbag. I'll have to settle for +1.2 this weekend since they're using the 6/1 revision. Too bad too because my choke at highland hills this weekend would've helped, LOL.

I hate when they use old revisions. Our course does that sometimes too and I just feel it's not an accurate set up. I'll see it a lot where a guy is a 14, has played 5 times in the last two weeks getting ready for the tournament, and is trending towards 11 but then still gets to play off 14.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

My buddies and I love to play the what-if game....and this one always comes up...

If you could play a 4-ball scramble with yourself, how would you do on the PGA Tour? I personally wouldn't have the length to play many of those courses, but if you give me 4 chances, I think I could do quite well. Just imagine not ever taking a penalty or a bunker shot (in theory) and getting a chance to have 4 cracks at every putt. I think that the 230+ par 3's at sea level would make me work pretty hard for a par but I'm pretty sure someone like Joel would win pretty much every event he entered.

I like this game as well. I contend that the pressure, the people lining fairways, and the unusual course conditions would throw you off more than you think. Rhythm goes to crap and you would have a really hard time making good contact. I'll raise the bet and say that a scratch golfer who could hit each shot four times would not make the cut.

Also, hitting a shot with more than 100 people watching is literally a different game.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

I like this game as well. I contend that the pressure, the people lining fairways, and the unusual course conditions would throw you off more than you think. Rhythm goes to crap and you would have a really hard time making good contact. I'll raise the bet and say that a scratch golfer who could hit each shot four times would not make the cut.

Also, hitting a shot with more than 100 people watching is literally a different game.

It might for the first event, but I would think that you could get used to it in time. Also probably depends on your personality a bit as well.

I think the extremely slow play on tour would honestly bother me more. I could play 4 shots and still be faster than some of those guys.

Back in high school there were often times we had the course to ourselves (I grew up in a small town) and a friend of mine and I did this with a 2 ball scramble and we both shot in the mid-60's. Granted this was a 6400 yard course that the pros would destroy, but even a 3-5 handicap would do quite well on your run of the mill course with 4 cracks at each shot. A U.S. Open setup? Perhaps not so much.

Do you have to give a shot back on #18 handicap hole. That's just sucks to have to make a birdie to net par.

No I don't have to give a shot back. They're 9 hole matches and my cap will be split to +.7 on the front and +.5 on the back. They both round up to +1 so we simply reset mine to 0 and add one to everyone else's 9 hole cap.

I saw the sheet last night and there's really only one I'm worried about. He used to be in my flight in men's league (5.0 and under) and he's listed as a 9 now. It's going to be tough to give him 5 or 6 pops. I just have to hope the partner plays well on the pop holes (since he will always get 3) and then I can carry us on the easier holes.

I hate when they use old revisions. Our course does that sometimes too and I just feel it's not an accurate set up. I'll see it a lot where a guy is a 14, has played 5 times in the last two weeks getting ready for the tournament, and is trending towards 11 but then still gets to play off 14.

I get what you're saying but it's really just sheer luck. The only reason he won't be using tomorrow's revision is because the calcutta is tomorrow so he wouldn't have been prepared in time. If the revision fell today I bet we would use it. I had a 75 and 80 which just peeled off a 67 and 69 from last year so my trending is towards +0.4 but it is what it is; just the luck of the draw.

I agree with the last sentence that it's a totally different game but it's still pressure, just more of it. I think I would definitely contend. My first round might suck but as seven-dewey said, I would get used to it pretty quickly and there's no way I would EVER shoot over-par.

No I don't have to give a shot back. They're 9 hole matches and my cap will be split to +.7 on the front and +.5 on the back. They both round up to +1 so we simply reset mine to 0 and add one to everyone else's 9 hole cap.

I saw the sheet last night and there's really only one I'm worried about. He used to be in my flight in men's league (5.0 and under) and he's listed as a 9 now. It's going to be tough to give him 5 or 6 pops. I just have to hope the partner plays well on the pop holes (since he will always get 3) and then I can carry us on the easier holes.

I get what you're saying but it's really just sheer luck. The only reason he won't be using tomorrow's revision is because the calcutta is tomorrow so he wouldn't have been prepared in time. If the revision fell today I bet we would use it. I had a 75 and 80 which just peeled off a 67 and 69 from last year so my trending is towards +0.4 but it is what it is; just the luck of the draw.

That makes sense. Easier to just add one to everyone else as opposed to trying to keep one hole straight with a negative pop.

Isn't it funny how we watch the trend and what scores are coming off? a buddy and I are within a steokemor two of each other. Early in the year I was giving him an extra one, and it's amazing how many times that single stroke factored in. Then it flip-flopped for a month or so and I was getting the extra. Now he keeps telling me, "Friday, I get the pop on #5 and you lose it!" We're all close enough in cap that we have a good time rubbing it in when one of us gets a extra pop on occasion.

I agree with the last sentence that it's a totally different game but it's still pressure, just more of it. I think I would definitely contend. My first round might suck but as seven-dewey said, I would get used to it pretty quickly and there's no way I would EVER shoot over-par.

Awesome book to read, The Green by Troon McAllister (which I think is a made up author name, but what a good one for a golf book), tells the story of hustler playing a tour pro. Says he'll let the pro scramble four balls. Pro licks his chops at the prospect. By the ninth hole the pro is so tired from all the shots he's hit (especially the drives he goes after full out) he can barely swing the club.

Fiction, but I wonder if it might have some truth to it.

A buddy of mine and I have played a few matches this season. He gets 3 a side from me. We are 1-1-1 but if he could putt I'd be 0-3. I know over the long run the lower cap is supposed to be the favorite, but if I'm off my game even a little he can hang with me straight up. It's just a matter of how many 3-putts/blowup holes he has on a particular day.

The handicap system isn't perfect, but I'm happy it gives you an option to play people of different abilities. But I'll always prefer to play someone with similar abilities with no strokes given.

A buddy of mine and I have played a few matches this season. He gets 3 a side from me. We are 1-1-1 but if he could putt I'd be 0-3. I know over the long run the lower cap is supposed to be the favorite, but if I'm off my game even a little he can hang with me straight up. It's just a matter of how many 3-putts/blowup holes he has on a particular day.

The handicap system isn't perfect, but I'm happy it gives you an option to play people of different abilities. But I'll always prefer to play someone with similar abilities with no strokes given.

This is where I'm at. The 10 handicapper playing a tour pro with 14 shots example is just ridiculous. There is nothing about that hypothetical that ever puts you anywhere near "even ground" with a tour pro.

I think all this handicap crap about giving one or two shots is just another reason golfers don't get better. What ever happened to playing somebody a little better and realizing you have to get a little better to beat them?

This is where I'm at. The 10 handicapper playing a tour pro with 14 shots example is just ridiculous. There is nothing about that hypothetical that ever puts you anywhere near "even ground" with a tour pro.

I think all this handicap crap about giving one or two shots is just another reason golfers don't get better. What ever happened to playing somebody a little better and realizing you have to get a little better to beat them?

I think that would be great in an ideal world. But two regulars in my group, one a four, the other a 26. The 26 is something like 65, heavy, and not in very good health. He hits a good drive 185-190. He loses more than he wins, but gets on streaks where he cashes. There is no chance he's going to improve, but because of,the strokes, we have a good competitive game with three single digits and a 26.

Obviously that's a bigger gap than I think you're talking about, but I think that bigger gap is probably more common than guys playing a match that are very close (outside of flighted stuff).

I like this idea. When the season slows down this fall and the courses aren't as crowded, I may try doing a 4-ball scramble with myself to see how I'd score. I'd really be interested to see how I would do. I'd like to think I'd shoot in the mid-high 60's, but who knows...

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Wish I could. I miss having every other Friday off :(

And holy crap! I just noticed this thread is up to 49 pages and over 1455 posts! For reference, previous years threads have had:

2013 - 103 posts, 4 pages

2014 - 29 posts, 1 page

2015 - 460 posts, 16 pages

2016 - 344 posts, 12 pages

It's nice to see so much participation in this thread, and see some of the cool people that live around here. Cheers! :drinks:

Edel E-1

I like this idea. When the season slows down this fall and the courses aren't as crowded, I may try doing a 4-ball scramble with myself to see how I'd score. I'd really be interested to see how I would do. I'd like to think I'd shoot in the mid-high 60's, but who knows...

As a practice I recommend playing a game like this as your last round before a tournament. Usually the Friday before a CGA I will play a 2-ball scramble or maybe go play a round off the ladies tees.

This way you see a lot of birdies go in and it really serves as a fantastic mental platform for the grind the next few days will present to you. I love the ladies tees idea most because I also have to think a little bit about what club to hit, where my misses could be, etc to get the correct course management thought process going for the weekend also.

Usually when I have the opportunity to do this the day before I shoot lights out the next day.

An opposite idea that I got from Broadie's book was to play a worst shot scramble with yourself. Hit two balls, pick the worse one, play from two from there, pick the worst, and so on. You practice playing from really bad lies and positions and it shows you just how much bad shots kill your score.

An opposite idea that I got from Broadie's book was to play a worst shot scramble with yourself. Hit two balls, pick the worse one, play from two from there, pick the worst, and so on. You practice playing from really bad lies and positions and it shows you just how much bad shots kill your score.

This might be a challenge for me.....picking which one is worse....The one behind this tree or the one behind that tree...

Its ironic the thread moved to this topic as well as this past weekend I was playing as a single and the couple with me left for the final 2 holes so I decided to play 2 balls for each hole hitting a different club from the tee for each ball. I shot the same score with both balls on both holes...par then bogey. Just kinda found it funny that I'd score the same with different approaches off the tee.

I would never finish a round! You would have to make the same putt twice on every hole?

Also probably looking to play on Saturday, July 1. I want to feel awful about my putting, so anyone want to play South Suburban? :)

I would never finish a round! You would have to make the same putt twice on every hole?

Ha! I don't recall all the details when you get to the putting green, but I don't think you'd have to make two putts. I think it would work like this: you hit two balls on the green, one that's 10' from the hole, one that's 20'. So you would then putt twice from 20'. If you hit your first putt to 5', and your second putt to 6", you'd then putt from 5'. If you miss one 3" short and make another, technically you'd putt twice from 3" but what's the point? At that point you'd know it was a 3 putt. Either way, the point isn't to track your score, point is (from what I remember reading) to learn to play from bad lies and to really emphasize how much one bad stroke can ruin a good score.

As long as you leave your second (worse) ball close to the hole, then you would simply have two tap ins.

Wish I could. I miss having every other Friday off :(

And holy crap! I just noticed this thread is up to 49 pages and over 1455 posts! For reference, previous years threads have had:

2013 - 103 posts, 4 pages

2014 - 29 posts, 1 page

2015 - 460 posts, 16 pages

2016 - 344 posts, 12 pages

It's nice to see so much participation in this thread, and see some of the cool people that live around here. Cheers! :drinks:

I've pretty much stopped going to the rest of WRX. It gives me a headache.

I'm definitely the same way. I really enjoy the conversation and the knowledge here. I'll check out some of the deals/classified section, and peruse the instruction and sometimes equipment section (which is dangerous lol), but I'm definitely most active in here. Thanks for keeping this thread going every year, Swede!

Edel E-1

I just booked a foursome at 8:49am at Riverdale Dunes on Saturday, June 24.

Brian is interested, so there are two spots remaining. I need to know by Thursday night.