Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joel-thanks so much for taking the time to recap the holes. My son is also playing that event tomorrow, and has played Fox Hill a few times before, but this is a great refresher.

007-best of luck tomorrow. As they shortened the event to 18 holes from 36 in 1 day, it will be a bit easier for everyone :).

Good luck to your son also. Yes; I'm quite pleased it's not 36 holes.

We're off #10 at 9:39 - I'll be in lime green shorts and a gray hat if you get a chance to say hi.

ETA just ask pseudoswede how many 115 yard shots I left short the other day. You may have shanked this one, but you're not alone in your wedge follies.

I wasn't going to say it, but if you guys ever need someone in your scramble foursome that can be deadly from 90 (when you need 115), Brian's your guy. :tongue:

Oh man, that's harsh!

LOL, I think Brian would be a good partner in a 2 man scramble. Our games are bit different, but would compliment each other very well.

So funny. And I club twirl on 250-yard drives, so there's some flair to my game.

Ah... yes, I've played there before. I didn't recognize the first video, but I definitely recognize that par-3... 12 right?

How is Plum Creek these days? I haven't played there in 5 years or so. It' a neat layout, with some cool holes, but the last couple times I was there the conditions were just sooo bad. You used to always be able to find a golfnow deal for like $35 with cart included. For that price, I could overlook a lot; but when they want $70+ for a round, and the facility is still a mess? No thanks. I heard that it sold to a new owner, so was wondering if it's gotten better.

I live 10 minutes from Plum Creek and have a membership. More than a decade of neglect and several years of bankruptcy took its toll. The irrigation system is shot and they've been using city water.

The new owners have put a lot into it the past few years. They've drilled and new well and are replacing the irrigation system. They've fixed the parking lot and cart paths and the clubhouse.

Course itself is in pretty good shape. Greens could be a little faster and consistent. Still a challenging Pete Dye course.

Well worth the price in my opinion.

Andy

Joel-thanks so much for taking the time to recap the holes. My son is also playing that event tomorrow, and has played Fox Hill a few times before, but this is a great refresher.

007-best of luck tomorrow. As they shortened the event to 18 holes from 36 in 1 day, it will be a bit easier for everyone :).

Good luck to your son also. Yes; I'm quite pleased it's not 36 holes.

We're off #10 at 9:39 - I'll be in lime green shorts and a gray hat if you get a chance to say hi.

He's off @ 8:45 on #1....I won't make it, work is calling me today :).

ETA just ask pseudoswede how many 115 yard shots I left short the other day. You may have shanked this one, but you're not alone in your wedge follies.

I wasn't going to say it, but if you guys ever need someone in your scramble foursome that can be deadly from 90 (when you need 115), Brian's your guy. :tongue:

Oh man, that's harsh!

LOL, I think Brian would be a good partner in a 2 man scramble. Our games are bit different, but would compliment each other very well.

So funny. And I club twirl on 250-yard drives, so there's some flair to my game.

I'd take your 250 perfect fade over pseudo's 300 yard drive that he has to aim off the golf course any day. ;)

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Joel was a great 2 man scramble partner. With his 300+ drives in the fairway, we were set up with nice looks. I contributed very slightly with a couple approaches and some birdie putts. But with 10 birdies in 18 holes...I'd say it worked out well!

Jacob contributed more than that. It was a tough day in some pretty big wind to have 10 birdies but we made some pretty clutch shots and putts. 2nd place was a 68 so our 62 was pretty good :-).

This weekend included this fun guy.

OvrB30k.gif

Yes, that was in a tournament. I haven't done that for a good 5 years or so. Pretty easy par 5. Thought I'd play smart and lay up instead of attempting to reach in 2. Left myself with 115 in...and that happened.

Oh man...reminds me of this Sergio's reaction in this commercial at 0:15...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g3hOS9eGM8

Let me know when you're trying to play HR, I may be able to show you around.

Looks like my only opportunity to play Highlands Ranch before the CO Open qual on the 6th will be to play it July 4th.

Anyone interested let me know. I might be able to get a deal for everyone also as it's another sister course and I should be able to walk for $14 or ride for $30.

Looks like my only opportunity to play Highlands Ranch before the CO Open qual on the 6th will be to play it July 4th.

Anyone interested let me know. I might be able to get a deal for everyone also as it's another sister course and I should be able to walk for $14 or ride for $30.

Thanks Joel - I would be interested. Let me know.

And as always, anyone who wants to come out to Bear Creek ever, shoot over a message!

And as always, anyone who wants to come out to Bear Creek ever, shoot over a message!

Dig that profile pic...I'm a native Marylander but been in CO a while now.

Any one who follows this thread have a local instructor that they like in Denver? I live just south of Denver and work in Lodo so location is flexible. My teacher is at my boss' club and it's an awkward dynamic so looking to find someone where I don't have to walk on eggshells (teacher is great; boss....)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm not tied to any particular style (old vs new school), just want to keep making progress on my swing.

Thanks!

Dig that profile pic...I'm a native Marylander but been in CO a while now.

Any one who follows this thread have a local instructor that they like in Denver? I live just south of Denver and work in Lodo so location is flexible. My teacher is at my boss' club and it's an awkward dynamic so looking to find someone where I don't have to walk on eggshells (teacher is great; boss....)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm not tied to any particular style (old vs new school), just want to keep making progress on my swing.

Thanks!

My son has worked with Trent Wearner @ Meridian for the last few years, we have nothing but great things to say about him. He has a great way of making things make sense, and is easy to talk to, and work with. Highly recommended.

I just booked 11:20 at Highlands Ranch. I called my course and they said the reciprocal deal there doesn't apply any longer. I guess we only had it because of an agreement between the two GM's.

He said to let him know what time we book and he'll make a call to see what he can do. Sounds like my Supe is coming with also. Two spots open

I just booked 11:20 at Highlands Ranch. I called my course and they said the reciprocal deal there doesn't apply any longer. I guess we only had it because of an agreement between the two GM's.

He said to let him know what time we book and he'll make a call to see what he can do. Sounds like my Supe is coming with also. Two spots open

I'm busy the 4th with people coming over but I'll wave at you from the yard when you're on 10 green.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Wish I could. We'll be in Alabama. Maybe playing an RTJ course? The perks of being from a great golfing state.

Where in Alabama? I've done a golf trip down to Birmingham the last 4 years so I've gotten to know a few of the courses. It's awesome down there, can play some really great courses.

Wish I could. We'll be in Alabama. Maybe playing an RTJ course? The perks of being from a great golfing state.

Where in Alabama? I've done a golf trip down to Birmingham the last 4 years so I've gotten to know a few of the courses. It's awesome down there, can play some really great courses.

My son is going to college in Alabama-Faulkner University in Montgomery-they play in a great conference (Southern States Athletic Conference) and play teams across Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida. His schools home course is one of the RJT Golf Trail courses-Capitol Hill as I recall. He's really looking forward to playing golf year round down there, and still have the late Spring/Summer in wonderful Colorado....

Grew up in Phenix City (and will be visiting there). RTJ Grand National is where we usually play if we're playing the Trail, and it's only 35 mins away. And Capitol Hill is about 90 mins away as well, so the Judge, Legislator, and Senator are there. Still haven't played those though! Grand National is such an excellent 36. Ross Bridge is supposed to be awesome as well.

I honestly think that Alabama should be on a lot more people's radars for golf trips. The state has its downsides, but you could do a lot worse from a golfing perspective. You can stay in Birmingham or Montgomery and be withing 1.5 hours of SO many good courses. Still waiting to play Farmlinks in Sylacauga...that's definitely top of my list, but too pricey for most anyone who wants to play with me.

Where have you played?

My son is going to college in Alabama-Faulkner University in Montgomery-they play in a great conference (Southern States Athletic Conference) and play teams across Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida. His schools home course is one of the RJT Golf Trail courses-Capitol Hill as I recall. He's really looking forward to playing golf year round down there, and still have the late Spring/Summer in wonderful Colorado....

Had quite a few friends go to Faulkner, though not for golf. That's quite a home course! Do you know if they alternate 18s when they host?

Grew up in Phenix City (and will be visiting there). RTJ Grand National is where we usually play if we're playing the Trail, and it's only 35 mins away. And Capitol Hill is about 90 mins away as well, so the Judge, Legislator, and Senator are there. Still haven't played those though! Grand National is such an excellent 36. Ross Bridge is supposed to be awesome as well.

I honestly think that Alabama should be on a lot more people's radars for golf trips. The state has its downsides, but you could do a lot worse from a golfing perspective. You can stay in Birmingham or Montgomery and be withing 1.5 hours of SO many good courses. Still waiting to play Farmlinks in Sylacauga...that's definitely top of my list, but too pricey for most anyone who wants to play with me.

Where have you played?

We stay in Birmingham, so every year we've played Ross Bridge and then the two Oxmoor courses (Valley and Ridge) that are right down the road. All three are awesome, but Ross Bridge really is awesome. Just a great track and a great time.

We played 36 at Farmlinks this year...and wow! One of the best golf experiences I've ever had. Everything from the grounds to the practice area to the course itself. They had an all day rate that included food and snacks and all the golf you can play. I'd go back just to play there again. They have cabins on the grounds as well, with private putting and chipping greens, they looked so awesome. As soon as my boys are older, I want to rent a cabin there and spend a week playing golf and shooting guns at the Orvis range on the grounds. Can't say enough good things about that place.

Both Grand National and Capitol Hill have been on the list to venture out to, so hopefully in the next few years we'll hit those up.

Agreed on Alabama being overlooked. When I tell people each year I'm going on a golf trip there, the initial reaction is always "huh, really?" Then I tell them about the RTJ trail and some of the other courses out there and they get it.

Where have you played?

We stay in Birmingham, so every year we've played Ross Bridge and then the two Oxmoor courses (Valley and Ridge) that are right down the road. All three are awesome, but Ross Bridge really is awesome. Just a great track and a great time.

We played 36 at Farmlinks this year...and wow! One of the best golf experiences I've ever had. Everything from the grounds to the practice area to the course itself. They had an all day rate that included food and snacks and all the golf you can play. I'd go back just to play there again. They have cabins on the grounds as well, with private putting and chipping greens, they looked so awesome. As soon as my boys are older, I want to rent a cabin there and spend a week playing golf and shooting guns at the Orvis range on the grounds. Can't say enough good things about that place.

Both Grand National and Capitol Hill have been on the list to venture out to, so hopefully in the next few years we'll hit those up.

Agreed on Alabama being overlooked. When I tell people each year I'm going on a golf trip there, the initial reaction is always "huh, really?" Then I tell them about the RTJ trail and some of the other courses out there and they get it.

Glad you enjoy my home state!

Ross Bridge: Worth the price?

Farmlinks: Apparently lives up to the hype. I want to do an all-day thing there sometime, but my brother and dad are typically my playing partners at home, and even our local muni eats them alive. They just don't hold up under any sort of test. Factor in the cost, and there's just no way I'm ever getting them out there for anything more than 18 holes. Hawaii was a great time, but the one day they played 36 with me, they were gassed before we even got off the third tee box of our second round (and we were riding).

I'm also playing Hermitage - President's Reserve outside of Nashville at the end of our trip. My best friend lives up there and we and his dad always get a round in there. Fun track and in pretty great shape the times I've played it.

Where have you played?

Glad you enjoy my home state!

Ross Bridge: Worth the price?

Farmlinks: Apparently lives up to the hype. I want to do an all-day thing there sometime, but my brother and dad are typically my playing partners at home, and even our local muni eats them alive. They just don't hold up under any sort of test. Factor in the cost, and there's just no way I'm ever getting them out there for anything more than 18 holes. Hawaii was a great time, but the one day they played 36 with me, they were gassed before we even got off the third tee box of our second round (and we were riding).

I'm also playing Hermitage - President's Reserve outside of Nashville at the end of our trip. My best friend lives up there and we and his dad always get a round in there. Fun track and in pretty great shape the times I've played it.

Yeah, my friend's parents retired in Birmingham and have a house that they let us stay at for the trip, so the free lodging definitely helps! I always have a good time in Birmingham though, I think it's a very underrated city. Unfortunately this friend has gotten worse and worse at golf and I don't think he wants to do a golf trip for a few years (it's a trip I do with my 3 best friends, all from college) so we'll see if/when we do Alabama again. I hope soon.

I think Ross Bridge is definitely worth the price, at least to play it once. I'd happily pay to play it again.

Farmlinks definitely lived up to the hype for me. Although it's always tough to say because I'm on a golf trip, with my college buddies, playing 36 a day and not having to worry about getting home to the wife and kids...so it may be a biased review :)

I'll have to ask one of the other guys from my trip if he's played at Hermitage. He lives in Greenville but his in-laws are in Nashville, so he goes there often. This year I actually flew into Greenville, played 27 at his country club (Greenville CC), then we drove to Birmingham and played 36, 36, and 18. So fun.

Yeah, my friend's parents retired in Birmingham and have a house that they let us stay at for the trip, so the free lodging definitely helps! I always have a good time in Birmingham though, I think it's a very underrated city. Unfortunately this friend has gotten worse and worse at golf and I don't think he wants to do a golf trip for a few years (it's a trip I do with my 3 best friends, all from college) so we'll see if/when we do Alabama again. I hope soon.

I think Ross Bridge is definitely worth the price, at least to play it once. I'd happily pay to play it again.

Farmlinks definitely lived up to the hype for me. Although it's always tough to say because I'm on a golf trip, with my college buddies, playing 36 a day and not having to worry about getting home to the wife and kids...so it may be a biased review :)

I'll have to ask one of the other guys from my trip if he's played at Hermitage. He lives in Greenville but his in-laws are in Nashville, so he goes there often. This year I actually flew into Greenville, played 27 at his country club (Greenville CC), then we drove to Birmingham and played 36, 36, and 18. So fun.

Sounds like such a great trip. I want to put together a trip with this friend from Nashville. He's not a great golfer, but one of my best friends, so we just love getting out on the course together. We might try a Bandon trip in a year or two.

I need more friends who would want to play 36+. To those of you who said to stay and play 54 at Wild Horse...it'll probably happen this summer.

If anyone wants to see me to piddle away my 10-game match play winning streak, I've booked a foursome at Murphy Creek on Tuesday, June 27, at 3:30pm. According to the website, it's $30 walking + $17 for cart.

Room for two if anyone is interested.

After I won the first hole, I never relinquished the lead. I got it to 4-up with a birdie on 10, then sealed the deal with a par on 16 to win 3&2. Something about match play.

I shot a 79 with a triple and two doubles. After four rounds between 85-91, I've now had three rounds between 77-82. I'm not sure what clicked; all aspects of my game have been great for 5-6 hole stretches (then it all falls apart for a few holes, and I sometimes recover and limp home). I've only been to the range once this year, and that was in April; and I've skipped the range at the course the last two times I've played.

I was thinking about playing on Saturday, but I'll probably be busy packing for my trip to Sweden. Maybe if I get everything done by early afternoon, I might sneak out for a round somewhere close. I'm also stoked because the golf course in Sweden we're playing at for the annual family golf tournament is the only course where I have won the trophy.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

If anyone wants to see me to piddle away my 10-game match play winning streak, I've booked a foursome at Murphy Creek on Tuesday, June 27, at 3:30pm. According to the website, it's $30 walking + $17 for cart.

After I won the first hole, I never relinquished the lead. I got it to 4-up with a birdie on 10, then sealed the deal with a par on 16 to win 3&2. Something about match play.

I shot a 79 with a triple and two doubles. After four rounds between 85-91, I've now had three rounds between 77-82. I'm not sure what clicked; all aspects of my game have been great for 5-6 hole stretches (then it all falls apart for a few holes, and I sometimes recover and limp home). I've only been to the range once this year, and that was in April; and I've skipped the range at the course the last two times I've played.

I was thinking about playing on Saturday, but I'll probably be busy packing for my trip to Sweden. Maybe if I get everything done by early afternoon, I might sneak out for a round somewhere close. I'm also stoked because the golf course in Sweden we're playing at for the annual family golf tournament is the only course where I have won the trophy.

Meant to tell you the other day both good luck with match play and take pictures of this course in Sweden! The one with the insanely tight fairways?

Joel - thanks again for the fox hill info. We didn't sniff being in contention but i had your notes with my pin sheet and they were helpful.

Also your prediction about scores was dead on. 70 was medalist. The 2 71s made it through and the 72s played off for alternate spots.

Good course and I think it's great for tournament golf and also think it'd be a great match play course.

The kid I carried for fought a two way miss all day. Normally a cutter but hit a lot of hooks and blocks all day :-/ and on top of that nothing fell. Only one big number all day but then lots of bogies from out of position off the tee or missing the green and putts not falling.

The two other young guys in our threesome were a year and two years old and both CSU commits. The one made it through with 71 and the other had a putt hang on the lip on our 18th hole for 71 (he didn't get through the alternate spot play off). They were good kids and it was fun to watch them play. Shows the kiddo from my club where he needs to be in the next few years if he wants to play at that level.

Back at it for me this morning. I've had a few good rounds lately and limped home a 79 with doubles on 17 and 18 Saturday. Hoping to get into a good spot again and finish stronger. Game is definitely trending.

I love match play. Score doesn't matter, just beat the guy you're playing. Our big match play event is next weekend and I can't wait.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Meant to tell you the other day both good luck with match play and take pictures of this course in Sweden! The one with the insanely tight fairways?

I may not be playing that course this year, but I definitely will if I do!

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)