Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

Went and had my driver fitting today.. sadly at least today the G400 did not win out. Bummed. :( I have to give it credit - it worked well and the adjustability was quite nice. Just really wanted PING.

Might see if I can go back a different day when I maybe am not hooking everything so badly. Still my fault. I usually hit cuts with a driver though.

Anyway.

What did win out was the 2017 M1 -- 440 cc version. With a project x hzrdus yellow in stiff.

Can't say I necessarily love taylormade but I certainly can't argue with the results either.

Still undecided. On the bright side I think I could maybe find one in BST for $350 or so which would be nice.

Anyone here very good friends with a TM rep? :)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone hit the new Crossover yet? Only club in the bag I'm looking to change is my hybrid. I cannot seem to get along with it most days. I'd be in on the Cobra Utility, but the darn adapter is different, so I'm considering all options. Crossover was intriguing last year, and am also interested in the Srixon utility iron, and possibly a T-MB...but that seems like a slightly different club than I'm looking for. Less driving iron and more "not quite a hybrid but mostly does what a hybrid does."

I have looked at them a little bit, but personally cannot stand the way they look down at the ball. Thats just me personally. Have you looked into trying the Adams Pro or Pro mini, they can be had for pretty cheap, and I love mine.

I have! Haven't hit one in a long time though. I'd be curious to take a stab with one since they're so cheap online.

0d3352318475343d9b47c0eacf9b2fbf.jpg

Didn't hurt too bad!

Looks nice. Was that your design?

Nah. I searched high and low and couldn't find anything like it online to show my artist as an example, so I just sent him some orientations I preferred and told him "make it American traditional style". The rest was up to him, and he'd always wanted to shade flowers like that, so I told him to go for it. I love the outcome. Was iffy on the pink initially, but am just so, so pleased.

Just had demos in the pgaSS. Thought they actually had the g400's for sale but it sounds like a few more weeks. They had the demos but of course there was some 80 year old with his 65 mph swing speed hogging the bay for 45 minutes. Why are the bays always filled with people who have no intention of buying anything! End rant.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Just had demos in the pgaSS. Thought they actually had the g400's for sale but it sounds like a few more weeks. They had the demos but of course there was some 80 year old with his 65 mph swing speed hogging the bay for 45 minutes. Why are the bays always filled with people who have no intention of buying anything! End rant.

Hey now, I've been known to crack 66mph on occasion! And only my liver is 80....

Seriously though, when you want to actually demo something they are always full. When you are there to grab something and leave they are all empty. Like my last trip there...went to re-grip a club because my dumb@ss grabbed a midsize by mistake the other day, finally went to the range and realized it was not right. There goes $8! Next time I'll pay more attention...

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Im in SLC this weekend to watch the web.com tour. Guy who grew up at the club I belong to, Jim Knous, is T10 going into the weekend. His dad still plays in our Saturday game

Gonna get out early today and follow 2016 NCAA individual champ Aaron Wise for 18 holes. He made the cut on the number and should be playing aggressively to move up the board. Then check in on Jimmy to see if he can stay in contention.

Gonna be hot (right at 100) so gonna bring a lot of water and go broke buying the rest. I'm excited to see some guys who are likely to be on the PGA tour next year and watch them mash the ball and throw some darts.

What did win out was the 2017 M1 -- 440 cc version. With a project x hzrdus yellow in stiff.

I wish I could get along with my M1 440, but after 5 rounds with it, I've lost almost 30 yards on average, and the thing is a total slice machine for me. My 5-10 yard fade has turned into an uncontrollable 40 yard slice. I'm so disheartened.

Couldn't agree more.

I wish I could get along with my M1 440, but after 5 rounds with it, I've lost almost 30 yards on average, and the thing is a total slice machine for me. My 5-10 yard fade has turned into an uncontrollable 40 yard slice. I'm so disheartened.

That's a drag. I've never gotten on with TM stuff, hence the Cobra goods at the top of my bag.

Anything you can do to rectify? Different shafts?

Battlemen

Did you make a Colorado trip or traveling to more destinations? I always love traveling for golf, except to the southeast.....Bermuda greens suck lol.

I drove from Ohio to Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska and back home. Some sight seeing, mostly golf! Check my thread in the golf courses section....

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

That's a drag. I've never gotten on with TM stuff, hence the Cobra goods at the top of my bag.

I've tried 3 shafts now. The shaft I ordered with it is the worst. Then I threw the shaft of my previous driver in it, and it helped a bit.

But still, with my SLDR, I'd say 3 out of 4 shots had a fade to it, with 1 in 4 being a straight ball flight. So far, after 5 rounds with the M1, I've had zero straight ball flights. It's so frustrating. I guess lessons are next on the golf agenda.

Well, got out twice this weekend (no family at home made it quite a bit easier!). Played in the Springs and was very surprised at how soft the course was playing. Basically zero roll, which made it play much longer than normal (even backed up a couple drivers!). Saturday was overcast for 17 holes until the sun finally broke out, but today was really nice.

Didn't score very well, but at least I was out on the course and got some exercise (about 4.7 miles each day according to a tracking app I have). Hoping to do the same next weekend.

drn92

I've tried 3 shafts now. The shaft I ordered with it is the worst. Then I threw the shaft of my previous driver in it, and it helped a bit.

But still, with my SLDR, I'd say 3 out of 4 shots had a fade to it, with 1 in 4 being a straight ball flight. So far, after 5 rounds with the M1, I've had zero straight ball flights. It's so frustrating. I guess lessons are next on the golf agenda.

How about adding some lead tape to the heel to straighten it out? I add tape to toe to help increase left to right...

Hope you can get it sorted out.

As someone who's never used lead tape, can a few strips have that great an effect on your shot shape?

Hope you can get it sorted out.

As someone who's never used lead tape, can a few strips have that great an effect on your shot shape?

As little as a 2 gram weight difference is easily noticeable on a driver as far as head weight and if that is positioned on either end it'll definitely affect the closing or opening of the face.

I've had lead tape on a real old driver before and that helped. I already have the sliding weight as far down in the heel/draw position as I can, and I still slice the ball uncontrollably.

I don't really feel like placing lead tape stickers all over a brand new $500 driver ($700 with the shaft I got). It's just a bummer that nobody has released additional weights for the 2017 M1 yet. I know Billy Bob's Golf has extra weights for the 2016 model, but they aren't the same. I'm not even that concerned with where the weight is at on the head, I just want more weight in general. The swing weight feels super super light.

Played 18 yesterday, 9 with the new driver, 9 with the old.

Averaged about 233 while hitting 1 out of 4 fairways on the front 9 with the M1.

Averaged 257 while hitting 2 out of 3 fairways on the back 9 with my SLDR. (Lots of 3 woods and hybrids off the tee on the back).

I've had lead tape on a real old driver before and that helped. I already have the sliding weight as far down in the heel/draw position as I can, and I still slice the ball uncontrollably.

I don't really feel like placing lead tape stickers all over a brand new $500 driver ($700 with the shaft I got). It's just a bummer that nobody has released additional weights for the 2017 M1 yet. I know Billy Bob's Golf has extra weights for the 2016 model, but they aren't the same. I'm not even that concerned with where the weight is at on the head, I just want more weight in general. The swing weight feels super super light.

Averaged about 233 while hitting 1 out of 4 fairways on the front 9 with the M1.

Averaged 257 while hitting 2 out of 3 fairways on the back 9 with my SLDR. (Lots of 3 woods and hybrids off the tee on the back).

Man, and I keep hearing the SLDR is one of the tougher drivers to tame. Sounds like you need to take the M1 out for a long range session, a nice meal, and a bottle of wine.

Quality time is the secret to a lasting relationship, right?

I'll bet the Swing weight is way off from the factory. Your swing seemed way to consistent to have the new club be that bad without something being off.Shaft upgrades can really mess with the factory's ability to send a good swing weight. I like a D5-6 which is pretty heavy feeling and they can never get it right. May be take it in to someone and have them check the specs.

Thanks for the write up Joel. I agree with all of that. Drove over and played it Wednesday on a nice cloudy, muggy, 83 degree day. Thought the course was fine, people are going to go low. Sets up well for me because I'm not the longest hitter. Looking forward to a long day tomorrow with two groups on most holes. You are paired up with my buddy steve for the first round. We are leaving Avon area around 6 am so he might be a little groggy but you guys will have fun hammering it around out there. See ya tomorrow

How did you end up on Sunday? Did you get a spot in the AM? I played as bad as I can, shot 80.

Funny now golf is, had the AM qualifier at CC of Colorado this morning. First time off at 7 AM in a twosome, shot 71 with an OB double :). I was under par a lot of the time.

Side note: OMG I love that course. I think it has cracked my CO top 5 list. Design is the best Pete Dye I've played and conditions were flawless. Greens were super pure. Also, Ft. Collins CC is now my favorite parkland style I've played I think it might also be in the top now.

The last two holes have to be the most nerve-wracking I've played in a tournament. Things would get really interesting coming down the stretch tight in a tournament there, wow.

I'll bet the Swing weight is way off from the factory. Your swing seemed way to consistent to have the new club be that bad without something being off.Shaft upgrades can really mess with the factory's ability to send a good swing weight. I like a D5-6 which is pretty heavy feeling and they can never get it right. May be take it in to someone and have them check the specs.

2nd, seems prudent. I don't know too many guys that do any sort of swing weight test/fitting/analysis. Only one I know is buddy beam.

Congrats Joel, 5 birdies and second in the qualifier is no joke! Looks like guys got beat up out there.

Thanks brother. Yeah they did. I was expecting much lower numbers to be honest. I figured +2,+3 would be the cut line.

They have big fairways out there and if you hit them the course is pretty easy. Miss the fairways and there are a LOT of big numbers lurking.

Thanks for the write up Joel. I agree with all of that. Drove over and played it Wednesday on a nice cloudy, muggy, 83 degree day. Thought the course was fine, people are going to go low. Sets up well for me because I'm not the longest hitter. Looking forward to a long day tomorrow with two groups on most holes. You are paired up with my buddy steve for the first round. We are leaving Avon area around 6 am so he might be a little groggy but you guys will have fun hammering it around out there. See ya tomorrow

How did you end up on Sunday? Did you get a spot in the AM? I played as bad as I can, shot 80.

Funny now golf is, had the AM qualifier at CC of Colorado this morning. First time off at 7 AM in a twosome, shot 71 with an OB double :). I was under par a lot of the time.

Side note: OMG I love that course. I think it has cracked my CO top 5 list. Design is the best Pete Dye I've played and conditions were flawless. Greens were super pure. Also, Ft. Collins CC is now my favorite parkland style I've played I think it might also be in the top now.

The last two holes have to be the most nerve-wracking I've played in a tournament. Things would get really interesting coming down the stretch tight in a tournament there, wow.

2nd, seems prudent. I don't know too many guys that do any sort of swing weight test/fitting/analysis. Only one I know is buddy beam.

After we hung out at 17 tee.... I limped my way in with +3 thru the last five and finished even par for the day. Made it into the AM with a T2 in the qualifier, T7 in the event overall and had to chuckle as i won the NET event and snagged $125 shop credit, BOOM!

good time overall, looking forward to Sonnenalp in a couple weeks, field is shaping up to be pretty strong ... You are playing in the AM as well now right!?

SIM 2 9° AD IZ 6X
SIM Ti 3w 15° AD DI 7X
SIM Ti 5w 18° AD DI 7X

SIM2 Rescue 4 22° Nippon GOST X

RSi UDI 4 DGTI 120 S400
P7MC 5-PW DGTI S400
MG 52, 58 DGTI S400
Spider Tour Copper 34"

I went full WRX at work today (never go full WRX).

I'm here with my 2 drivers measuring every little thing I can with our coffee scale.

M1 440 head: 199 grams

SLDR 430 head: 201 grams

*both include the sliding weights installed

Shaft in my M1: 121 grams

Shaft in my SLDR: 119 grams

So literally, both clubs fully assembled are the exact same weight, just ever so slightly different in head-to-shaft ratios. Plus the M1 is maybe 1/4" shorter in length.

I found someone on eBay selling replacement/additional M1 weights. So I purchased a couple. After they come in, I'll have 4 weights total to play around with. 17g, 16g, 14g, and 6.5g. So many different combinations of them in different positions, using 2, 3, all 4, etc. I have no way of measuring swing weight, so I'll probably stop into PGA Superstore or Golf Galaxy tonight and have them measure each club's swing weight.

Now I have a headache.

After we hung out at 17 tee.... I limped my way in with +3 thru the last five and finished even par for the day. Made it into the AM with a T2 in the qualifier, T7 in the event overall and had to chuckle as i won the NET event and snagged $125 shop credit, BOOM!

good time overall, looking forward to Sonnenalp in a couple weeks, field is shaping up to be pretty strong ... You are playing in the AM as well now right!?

Yes sir, I'll be there. I gotta get a practice round in, probably the Wednesday beforehand. I think I'll end up staying with a friend in Dillon but I'm not sure. At least it will be closer and won't cost anything.

Yes sir, I'll be there. I gotta get a practice round in, probably the Wednesday beforehand. I think I'll end up staying with a friend in Dillon but I'm not sure. At least it will be closer and won't cost anything.

NICE! let me know when you plan on playing. I actually have to work the couple days before the event starts, but let me know if you have any questions about the course... I'll put a little preview together for you.

going full WRX at work on a tuesday is totally legit. I applaud your dedication.

I'm putting at work right now.

Kudos to both of you. Where do you work that you can putt on the clock?!

Red Sky

SIM 2 9° AD IZ 6X
SIM Ti 3w 15° AD DI 7X
SIM Ti 5w 18° AD DI 7X

SIM2 Rescue 4 22° Nippon GOST X

RSi UDI 4 DGTI 120 S400
P7MC 5-PW DGTI S400
MG 52, 58 DGTI S400
Spider Tour Copper 34"