Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

So now that I've had my bag setup for the last 6 weeks or so, I am starting to like it quite a bit. I have two really different shafts in my fairway woods, but I feel they work really well for my game, particularly for how GVR is setup. My 3w has more of a piercing trajectory and is quite long, while my 5w has a significantly higher ball flight, but is still decently long. Without having a 4i in my bag though, I have a pretty huge gap between my 5i and 5w, so that is my next purchase. I'm finally going to hit some of the new hybrids and the T-MB this week to see how I like them. I'm hoping I find a good fit!

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love my T-MBs especially off the tee. They just want to go straight, I don't worry about hooking it left of left like it did with the hybrid. Full disclosure it could've been the shaft in the hybrid.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Played like utter and total trash today. Barely broke 100 -- embarrassing. Not sure what it was. Just... brutal.

Played at Twin Peaks in Longmont, and I've never been one to fall in love with their greens anyway, but I had SIX three puts through 18 holes.

Just sad.

Someone take my clubs away from me -- don't deserve them anymore.

Played like utter and total trash today. Barely broke 100 -- embarrassing. Not sure what it was. Just... brutal.

Played at Twin Peaks in Longmont, and I've never been one to fall in love with their greens anyway, but I had SIX three puts through 18 holes.

Just sad.

Someone take my clubs away from me -- don't deserve them anymore.

I feel you pain bro. I really do...

Has anyone here played Highland Meadows in Windsor? Thinking about heading over there Thursday afternoon.

I have not.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

So now that I've had my bag setup for the last 6 weeks or so, I am starting to like it quite a bit. I have two really different shafts in my fairway woods, but I feel they work really well for my game, particularly for how GVR is setup. My 3w has more of a piercing trajectory and is quite long, while my 5w has a significantly higher ball flight, but is still decently long. Without having a 4i in my bag though, I have a pretty huge gap between my 5i and 5w, so that is my next purchase. I'm finally going to hit some of the new hybrids and the T-MB this week to see how I like them. I'm hoping I find a good fit!

Another thing about the T-MBs (at least to me) is that they are pretty low launching and tend to run out off of the tee. Out of the fairway I can launch them a little higher and get them to land softly but not as soft as a hybrid. I do miss the hybrid out of the rough as it seems easier to get to the ball. I think I just need a little more practice with the T-MBs out of the rough.... or don't hit the ball in the rough :P

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Another thing about the T-MBs (at least to me) is that they are pretty low launching and tend to run out off of the tee. Out of the fairway I can launch them a little higher and get them to land softly but not as soft as a hybrid. I do miss the hybrid out of the rough as it seems easier to get to the ball. I think I just need a little more practice with the T-MBs out of the rough.... or don't hit the ball in the rough :P

That's good to know. I've been debating getting a 2-iron for windier days to pull my hybrid. Something that launches low that I can hit 275 off the tee all day.

Has anyone here played Highland Meadows in Windsor? Thinking about heading over there Thursday afternoon.

Yes, I like it a lot. It's a very well designed course in my eyes. A lot of different shots and different clubs that you're forced to hit. It's one of my favorite north Colorado courses.

Thanks Joel. Golf at Altitude had it one the other night and it looked pretty nice. Looks like a lot of course from the tips.

I got out for a quick 9 yesterday at GVR. Played the front 9 from the tips. I have no business playing from back there, but the course wasn't too crowded and my friends wanted to try it from back there so off we went.

Shot a 45 (which I was happy with), and that was with a triple and a double. Finished with pars on 7, 8, and 9. It really is a different course from the black tees. The holes just look different (and better, in my opinion) from back there. Wish I had the length and game to play from there regularly, I think I'd somehow enjoy that course even more. It's one of my favorites anyway.

Yes, I like it a lot. It's a very well designed course in my eyes. A lot of different shots and different clubs that you're forced to hit. It's one of my favorite north Colorado courses.
Thanks Joel. Golf at Altitude had it one the other night and it looked pretty nice. Looks like a lot of course from the tips.

Highland Meadows is my "home" course. I live in the sub-division near it and play it pretty often, used to play in a league every week on it. It's definitely a fun course and as Joel said you do have to hit some forced layups and definitely plan out the landing spot, particularly #6 and #15. #15 is a good par 5 to go for it by cutting the corner and go for eagle, at least from the blues, I haven't played it from the tips

Just be aware, as of last week #1 is playing as a par 4 instead of par 5 as they are repairing the fairway. Fairway was looking a bit strained/tired and had been roped off for over a month. You tee off from the island right now and at least when I played it last week the whites were playing 248, but I layed up because #1 is not a hole you want to go too long on as it is a nasty downhill chip to a green running away from you...the times I've gone over my score is worse than usual.

Highland Meadows is my "home" course. I live in the sub-division near it and play it pretty often, used to play in a league every week on it. It's definitely a fun course and as Joel said you do have to hit some forced layups and definitely plan out the landing spot, particularly #6 and #15. #15 is a good par 5 to go for it by cutting the corner and go for eagle, at least from the blues, I haven't played it from the tips

Just be aware, as of last week #1 is playing as a par 4 instead of par 5 as they are repairing the fairway. Fairway was looking a bit strained/tired and had been roped off for over a month. You tee off from the island right now and at least when I played it last week the whites were playing 248, but I layed up because #1 is not a hole you want to go too long on as it is a nasty downhill chip to a green running away from you...the times I've gone over my score is worse than usual.

Thanks GB,

Is it normally pretty busy on weekday afternoons?

Nah, it's not too long from the tips. I don't think it's much more than 7,200.

(Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt considering my course is 7,800 from the tips).

I got out for a quick 9 yesterday at GVR. Played the front 9 from the tips. I have no business playing from back there, but the course wasn't too crowded and my friends wanted to try it from back there so off we went.

Shot a 45 (which I was happy with), and that was with a triple and a double. Finished with pars on 7, 8, and 9. It really is a different course from the black tees. The holes just look different (and better, in my opinion) from back there. Wish I had the length and game to play from there regularly, I think I'd somehow enjoy that course even more. It's one of my favorites anyway.

Nice work! The tips can be brutal out there. I'm going to try to head out there for the Colorado Open to watch some of those guys play in July to see the level of talent. Those tee boxes get even more nuts. I believe they switch the tee boxes on 7 and 4 to make those holes even further. I was talking to Steve (head pro), and he said just watching them on the range is awesome. My instructor will be playing, but he says he has no chance since the talent keeps getting more and more stout. Last year, the winning score was -23! I can't fathom over 4 days at GVR from the super tips lol. I guess some of the web.com guys skip some of their events to play this one since first place is $100k.

Edel E-1

Good to see I'm not the only one who had a tough couple holes this weekend. Played Coyote Creek in Fort Lupton on Father's Day. If you haven't played Coyote Creek it's not a bad little course.

Does have some "long" par 3's near 200yds from the Whites, but it has some interesting holes.

I started off with an 8 on #1 after I pushed my approach way right into the tall stuff and than had to hack out and advance the ball maybe 20yds. Then 2 disaster chips later I finally got to the green and 3 putted the darn thing. An inauspicious start to say the least. :(

But hey, can only get better from there right? i got my first sand save (since I've been keeping stats) on #7 after I went long on my approach and into the bunker and then was able to get out of the sand to about 3ft and save par.

Really frustrated on #9, a 483yd par 5, though. After a wind assisted tee shot that had me at 168yd to the pin I had visions of eagle in my head....Unfortunately a chunked approach left me short of the green and then a thin chip to the back of the green had me just scrambling to get a par and eventually earned bogey...Went out with a 48 :(

Calmed down on the back and was able to come in at 45 for 93 which was one off my personal best of 92...Still pushing to break 90 this year.

Thanks to advice from Joel and others my driver is staying in play more and I didn't have any massive slices to OB. I still hit more fades than draws, but if it stays in play I'm usually happy. I did pull a couple to the left (which is very rare for me to miss that way) but was able to find them and keep on playing :)

Keep it up! 80's are in your near future! I found that spending more time on the course instead of the range is really paying off for me, so continue to play as much as you can. My handicap has dropped nearly 2 points in the last month or so.

Edel E-1

Highland Meadows is my "home" course. I live in the sub-division near it and play it pretty often, used to play in a league every week on it. It's definitely a fun course and as Joel said you do have to hit some forced layups and definitely plan out the landing spot, particularly #6 and #15. #15 is a good par 5 to go for it by cutting the corner and go for eagle, at least from the blues, I haven't played it from the tips Just be aware, as of last week #1 is playing as a par 4 instead of par 5 as they are repairing the fairway. Fairway was looking a bit strained/tired and had been roped off for over a month. You tee off from the island right now and at least when I played it last week the whites were playing 248, but I layed up because #1 is not a hole you want to go too long on as it is a nasty downhill chip to a green running away from you...the times I've gone over my score is worse than usual.
Thanks GB, Is it normally pretty busy on weekday afternoons?

Tuesday's and Thursday I believe they have leagues starting around 3 on Tuesday and 4:30 on Thursday so it can be busy then, but the guys and I usually try to head out before 3 on the weekdays we play and we're able to get through pretty quick then. though Last Tuesday we did have a slow group in front of us that held us up (with no one in front of them).

If we can't get out before 3, we try to go out at 4 or just after to get the twilight rate ($39 Mon-Thur and $45 Fri-sun for as many holes as you can play with a cart). I don't recall a Friday Twilight time being too slow when we've played. Last time we did that I thought we got done 4:30 to 4:45.

Currently this Thursday seems pretty open so far this afternoon and they do have the 4:10 twilight time open :)

Nice work! The tips can be brutal out there. I'm going to try to head out there for the Colorado Open to watch some of those guys play in July to see the level of talent. Those tee boxes get even more nuts. I believe they switch the tee boxes on 7 and 4 to make those holes even further. I was talking to Steve (head pro), and he said just watching them on the range is awesome. My instructor will be playing, but he says he has no chance since the talent keeps getting more and more stout. Last year, the winning score was -23! I can't fathom over 4 days at GVR from the super tips lol. I guess some of the web.com guys skip some of their events to play this one since first place is $100k.

Yeah, they upped the pool last year. It's now the biggest prize pool for a state open in the country.

I'm in the qualifier on July 6th at Highlands Ranch. I've done the qualifiers at Legacy Ridge and last time missed it by 1 with a 71. Hopefully I get in this year.

I will need to make a practice round at that golf course also as I haven't played it before.

Keep it up! 80's are in your near future! I found that spending more time on the course instead of the range is really paying off for me, so continue to play as much as you can. My handicap has dropped nearly 2 points in the last month or so.

There is something to this for sure. I can't say this is what's needed for everyone but I know a 4 hcp in my mens league that I'm blown away I haven't seen him drop to scratch. The guy's swing is fantastic but he's too much of a range rat. Once you can keep it in play often then you need to start working on scoring (short game, course management, putting, distance control, etc.)

Yeah, they upped the pool last year. It's now the biggest prize pool for a state open in the country.

I'm in the qualifier on July 6th at Highlands Ranch. I've done the qualifiers at Legacy Ridge and last time missed it by 1 with a 71. Hopefully I get in this year.

I will need to make a practice round at that golf course also as I haven't played it before.

That's awesome! I hope you make it!

Edel E-1

There is something to this for sure. I can't say this is what's needed for everyone but I know a 4 hcp in my mens league that I'm blown away I haven't seen him drop to scratch. The guy's swing is fantastic but he's too much of a range rat. Once you can keep it in play often then you need to start working on scoring (short game, course management, putting, distance control, etc.)

Let me know when you're trying to play HR, I may be able to show you around.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

I have that club, I believe it's called a driver.

275? Maybe downhill, downwind, and on a dry day. :tongue:

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

If anyone wants to see me to piddle away my 10-game match play winning streak, I've booked a foursome at Murphy Creek on Tuesday, June 27, at 3:30pm. According to the website, it's $30 walking + $17 for cart.

Room for two if anyone is interested.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Go get it. We're all pulling for you. Keep us in the loop. When you qualify, let us know the dates of the event, I'll come watch you play and cheer you on!

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Have fun Saturday morning guys! I would have tried jumping in, but I got an event out a Plum Creek...which I've still yet to play. Hoping to sneak out of work early Friday afternoon to get a quick 18 hole practice round in. I hate playing a course for the first time if it's for money.

You'll love the course, it's a Pete Dye design. It's definitely not a wild open bombers paradise. My opinion is that you need to know where to hit it off of a some of the tees and a practice round is a great idea. Good Luck!!!

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4