2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

4 club mod Stableford at Wellshire tomorrow. Always a fun one. They move us up a tee box too so that helps a little. I am going 4 hybrid, 8 iron, pw, and putter. What would you guys take in a 4 club?

Oh nice! A buddy of mine plays out in that league. Won the 4 person scramble a weekend or two back. He told me I should join, but I've never even played the course before. The amount of tournaments and size of the prizes sound pretty nice though.

This format would be fun! I'd probably do 3-hybrid, 8-iron, PW, and putter as well. Hybrid I'd be able to hit straight and hit most fairways with a decent distance. 8-iron is good for 150-155 on in. PW for pitches and chips (not a fan of anything higher lofted). And putter because, well, putter.

In all seriousness, couple years back I played in a similar format for a tourney, you had to have a shot of jaeger in the parking lot to earn the use of your putter. After that, you would earn one club per beer you finished. Some guys opted for just a few beers. Some guys drank enough to get most of their bag. My partner earned his whole bag by the 7th and kept drinking. We won anyway. Good times.

Sounds like I'd have to just use my old foot wedge and/or throw the ball. I'd be at a HUGE disadvantage considering I don't touch alcohol.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 club mod Stableford at Wellshire tomorrow. Always a fun one. They move us up a tee box too so that helps a little. I am going 4 hybrid, 8 iron, pw, and putter. What would you guys take in a 4 club?

Oh nice! A buddy of mine plays out in that league. Won the 4 person scramble a weekend or two back. He told me I should join, but I've never even played the course before. The amount of tournaments and size of the prizes sound pretty nice though.

This format would be fun! I'd probably do 3-hybrid, 8-iron, PW, and putter as well. Hybrid I'd be able to hit straight and hit most fairways with a decent distance. 8-iron is good for 150-155 on in. PW for pitches and chips (not a fan of anything higher lofted). And putter because, well, putter.

In all seriousness, couple years back I played in a similar format for a tourney, you had to have a shot of jaeger in the parking lot to earn the use of your putter. After that, you would earn one club per beer you finished. Some guys opted for just a few beers. Some guys drank enough to get most of their bag. My partner earned his whole bag by the 7th and kept drinking. We won anyway. Good times.

Sounds like I'd have to just use my old foot wedge and/or throw the ball. I'd be at a HUGE disadvantage considering I don't touch alcohol.

Come join! We're alotta fun. Who is your buddy? My best buddy Derek was the A player on the winning team.

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Anyone playing the Denver Men's City Amateur at City Park?

I normally always do but it's scheduled the same weekend as the CO National Member-guest so I won't be making it this year.

Good luck if you do play.

Yeah I can't say without knowing the course. In general I would take a 3 wood (which I would putt with), a 5 iron, an 8 iron and a SW.

Thank you good luck to you too. It'll be my first tournament of any kind. No expectations at all.

I normally always do but it's scheduled the same weekend as the CO National Member-guest so I won't be making it this year.

Yeah I can't say without knowing the course. In general I would take a 3 wood (which I would putt with), a 5 iron, an 8 iron and a SW.

That's not fair Joel. You'll still drive most of the greens with that 3 wood. Your kind should be banned (still upset about my 2&0 loss).

Whoever your partner was sounds like a guy I would golf with everyday and twice on Sunday. But then again, I actually get better as I drink...up to a point. Drinking 14 beers in 7 holes though and even I might be looking for a food truck and a couch on the turn. Even a beer a hole would make the back nine challenging at some point.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

I've got to the point where I'm more likely to drink coffee on the course than beer.

I did that a few weeks ago. Jitters got the best of me come the turn. Putter was so shakey for a few holes there.

Just got the TopGolf Tour email. Jacob's spoken so highly of it, is anyone else interested?

Played like trash at my tournament yesterday. FIVE 3-putts. Wedge game was awesome, and put so many pitches inside 5 feet, and made NONE of them. Seriously. All my 3 putts should have been 2 putts, and half of my 2 putts should have been 1 putts. Squeaked out an 82, which I'm not happy with.

But on the 18th hole (number 9 at CommonGround, started on back) I said "f*** it" and let my hair down, literally, threw my hat on backwards, pulled out a bright red Volvik Vivid I found in the bushes, took zero practice swings, and hit the best drive of my day. Then stuck my 120 yard approach shot to about a foot and a half for a tap in birdie, which ended winning me $95 in skins!

Heading up to play Saddleback now, because I've never been up there and why not? Always trying to find new courses to play.

Played like trash at my tournament yesterday. FIVE 3-putts. Wedge game was awesome, and put so many pitches inside 5 feet, and made NONE of them. Seriously. All my 3 putts should have been 2 putts, and half of my 2 putts should have been 1 putts. Squeaked out an 82, which I'm not happy with.

But on the 18th hole (number 9 at CommonGround, started on back) I said "f*** it" and let my hair down, literally, threw my hat on backwards, pulled out a bright red Volvik Vivid I found in the bushes, took zero practice swings, and hit the best drive of my day. Then stuck my 120 yard approach shot to about a foot and a half for a tap in birdie, which ended winning me $95 in skins!

Heading up to play Saddleback now, because I've never been up there and why not? Always trying to find new courses to play.

Nothing like a late skin to take the sting off a crappy round.

Btw, 17 at commonground is the best skin hole ever.

I was just short of the green on 17, with a front pin position. Only about 15 feet away. Had a bit of fringe to putt through, so naturally I blow it by 5 feet. Miss my return putt for par, then go to tap in my bogey putt, and had an odd stance so I wouldn't step in someone's line, and missed that. 4 putts from 15 feet for a double bogey. I was livid.

We just had our member/member and the kickoff event was 4clubs alternate shot. I went with 3w, 7i, 52* and putter.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I wish I had more time to hit golf balls than when I'm actually playing. I'm sure my game would become a little more consistent.

Mariana Butte is a fantastic golf course. I was expecting more significant elevation changes, but it really is only on four holes (10, 11, 14, and 18). If I didn't have a blister on the back of my foot, I would've really enjoyed walking the course. And holy crap it's far away.

I was ripping my drives (except two) down the fairway with a pretty draw. I even had two drives over 290 into a decent breeze. I kept hanging my approach shots to the right. While I was able to get up and down a few times on the front nine, my short game collapsed on the back. I also had issues dialing in my wedges. I was often 10-20 yards short of target.

Commonground on Sunday. Can't wait.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Thank you good luck to you too. It'll be my first tournament of any kind. No expectations at all.

Expectations..... The enemy of good golf.

Ideally none of us should ever play with them, we would always play better.

What a bummer of a weekend... the weather was beautiful, and I didn't get to play at all. :-( My wife has had a sinus thing going on for over a week, and on Thursday I started feeling a bit crummy... by Friday morning, I had the full on plague... just as she's starting to get over it. This crap better be gone by Thursday. The wife has plans with her girlfriends that afternoon/evening, so I'm hoping to ditch work a bit early and play 18!

Hope y'all enjoyed the sunshine and played well this weekend!

Great weekend of golf. Father in law was in town and we were able to play Four Mile Ranch on Friday, Eisenhower Blue on Saturday, and Broadmoor East yesterday. Tried to get on Black Bear on Friday, but it was full until the afternoon.

My best round by far was at Broadmoor East, shot 9 strokes better than at Four Mile and 5 better than at Eisenhower.

The Grint: AML525

Great weekend of golf. Father in law was in town and we were able to play Four Mile Ranch on Friday, Eisenhower Blue on Saturday, and Broadmoor East yesterday. Tried to get on Black Bear on Friday, but it was full until the afternoon.

My best round by far was at Broadmoor East, shot 9 strokes better than at Four Mile and 5 better than at Eisenhower.

Love Broadmoor East. It's amazing how much they can change the feel of that course. I've played it a couple times for fun under regular conditions and have shot under par both times from the tips. I've also played it in US open local qualifying and haven't broken 80 either time.... It's amazing how much different that beast can be!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Hey all, my very good friend is putting on a charity tournament later this summer to help fight Huntington's disease, which runs in the family, and he may have the gene himself unfortunately. I was trying to come up with some sponsorship ideas for him before the tournament, and was wondering what local golf companies may help out. I was thinking of Carbon Putters and Club Champion/D'Lance golf, but I can't think of any others. Any ideas?

And if you're interested in putting together a team for it, that would be absolutely awesome too, just let me know. It's August 26th at Raccoon Creek and $135pp. I think it will be a good tourney as he is an avid golfer and wants to make this a resounding success.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Hey All,

Just saw Golf Digest's top Colorado courses for 2016 (cut-and-paste list of the courses). Curious how many of these folks have played.

I've only played the Redlands Mesa course

• (1) Castle Pines G.C., Castle Rock †
  • (3) Ballyneal G. & Hunt Club, Holyoke †
  • (2) Cherry Hills C.C., Cherry Hills Village †
  • (4) Colorado G.C., Parker Δ
  • (6) Sanctuary, Sedalia Δ
  • (5) The Broadmoor G.C. (East), Colorado Springs Δ √ ★
  • (11) Maroon Creek Club, Aspen
  • (7) Cornerstone, Montrose
  • (15) Aspen Glen Club, Carbondale
  • (14) Roaring Fork Club, Basalt
  • (8) Red Sky Ranch & G.C. (Norman), Wolcott √ ★
  • (10) Denver C.C., Denver
  • (9) C.C. of the Rockies, Edwards
  • (19) Red Sky Ranch & G.C. (Fazio), Wolcott √ ★
  • (17) The G.C. at Ravenna, Littleton
  • (20) Adam's Mountain C.C., Eagle
  • (18) The G.C. at Redlands Mesa, Grand Junction ★
  • (12) The Club at Cordillera (Valley), Cordillera
  • (-) Breckenridge G.C. (Beaver/Bear) Breckenridge ★
  • (13) Catamount Ranch & Club, Steamboat Springs

I've only play Sanctuary. Walked CH when the BMW was here. Will probably play Aspen Glen this summer since it's a ClubCorp course and we only pay cart fee.

Would love to play Colorado Golf Club since it's like 2 miles from my house. Can anyone hook me up? :)

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

I've played Colorado Golf Club, Broadmoor East, and Breckenridge.

Do you guys have it where everyone can get you on everywhere and no one ever comes through? I feel like I've been offered hookups at almost all of the places on this list but they never seem to come through.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Anyone want to play Todd Creek with me next Tuesday at 1:33? Going to book a tee time this afternoon. Tough to beat for $18 w/ cart.

I wish I could. I'm either working or at home helping with the boys during the week.

Would love to get a trip out to Bally Neal!! Anyone else?

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Have played Aspen Glen, Roaring Fork Club, CC of the Rockies (I live in the Glenwood area) and Ballyneal.

The mountain courses are all nice - great views and conditioning and plenty nice routings. Aspen Glen is more wide open than the other two - with two great driveable par 4s and fun par 3s and 5s. Number one hcp hole is a fun driver down a cliff than an approach over a wetlands/sensitive area. Tough but great hole.

Ballyneal is an incredible piece of land with a spectacular routing. So many good holes and it's a really fun and memorable track.

I live an hour from Redlands and haven't played it :( will rectify that soon.

Also trying to leverage a round at Maroon Creek sometime. I hear it's awesome.

Aspen Glen #11

75b0cbd3bd31e59a2221873ce8a461dd.jpg

Ballyneal

56b67fb0d565dcbad47de171a950bed5.jpg

I've played Colorado GC (2014 USGA Four-Ball Qual, actually skipped sunday at the BMW for a practice round), Sanctuary, played Adam's Mountain this weekend (it's called Frost Creek now), and Redlands Mesa.

Sanctuary is gorgeous and does all the little things but the golf course is a bit over-the-top. It's also surprisingly narrow. You have to be striping it out there.

Frost Creek is my favorite mountain course I've played. It was really epic out there. Perfect conditions, great design, epic clubhouse. I would drive the 3 hours from Denver to play that course any chance I could get.

I've talked about Redlands before. I think it's a Calendar golf course. Gorgeous but not my favorite design and conditions are usually meh.

I've only played Colorado G.C. from that list, played it a handful of times, and holy hell is that course hard. Way too hard for someone like me! I'm going to try to get out to Broadmoor this year to play a round.

As far as CGC, I totally agree with this 100%. Especially when they apply USGA conditioning to that golf course it was stupid hard. It reminds me of how Augusta is designed; you don't land shots where the flags are, you need to land them in specific spots so they will funnel to the holes. Without knowing this I had two different approach shots intentionally miss the green on high side and they both funneled all the way off the green on the other side. I landed a 7 iron 2nd shot on #7 (par 5) 10 feet from the hole and all it did was bounce and funnel all the way into the greenside bunker on the left.

Having said all of that, CGC is my favorite course played in Colorado. If you get a chance to play it, then do it at whatever price they want.

I've played Colorado Golf Club, Broadmoor East, and Breckenridge.

Do you guys have it where everyone can get you on everywhere and no one ever comes through? I feel like I've been offered hookups at almost all of the places on this list but they never seem to come through.

I'm good friends with my Supe at National and we've talked about going out and playing a lot of these courses. He used to work at Broadmoor also so he can get a group out there any time. He finds the East course boring and loved the mountain course. We're both pretty sad to see it go. The only issue is it usually has to be during the week.

Jacob can attest to it as we played Pelican Lakes for free Sunday morning about a month ago.