Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

I had the same Yes! putter in my bag for 12 years. I never thought twice about replacing it. Also, if you want a Scotty, I got one you can have for cheap. :p

My tournament is still a go for tomorrow! Apparently the course I'm playing at (Legacy Ridge) was open this afternoon for play. They didn't have any snow on the ground as of 9:30am this morning. And I'm super excited to play in colder weather, hoping it throws some people off their games, as I actually prefer it.

You ditched the Scotty?!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My men's league event is cancelled tomorrow. Couples league is looking 50/50. But I have a tee time Sunday so that will help ease the pain a little.

On to a more serious question....for those of you who have a long term putter in your bag....how do you do it? I want a new one every 2-3 months when I'm putting well and every 2-3 days when I'm not. I tried about 12 different ones at PGA SS today and would have left with 3 of them if money was no object

Also why do I only like the $300+ ones? The one bright spot there is that I'm far less likely to impulse buy at that price :)

I played with the same Odyssey putter from age 13-29. Started messing with shapes and styles last year and haven't putted worth anything since. Just bagged that Yes! Callie (that GG honored a $10 off coupon for, so I paid $29 for it) and can tell you it's never leaving my bag. Find a shape you like that works for your game and stick with it. You'll have good days and bad days, but having something you dig looking at AND fits your stroke makes all the difference. Also, just be broke like I always was. You'll never have cash to buy one!

My men's league event is cancelled tomorrow. Couples league is looking 50/50. But I have a tee time Sunday so that will help ease the pain a little.

On to a more serious question....for those of you who have a long term putter in your bag....how do you do it? I want a new one every 2-3 months when I'm putting well and every 2-3 days when I'm not. I tried about 12 different ones at PGA SS today and would have left with 3 of them if money was no object

Also why do I only like the $300+ ones? The one bright spot there is that I'm far less likely to impulse buy at that price :)

I played with the same Odyssey putter from age 13-29. Started messing with shapes and styles last year and haven't putted worth anything since. Just bagged that Yes! Callie (that GG honored a $10 off coupon for, so I paid $29 for it) and can tell you it's never leaving my bag. Find a shape you like that works for your game and stick with it. You'll have good days and bad days, but having something you dig looking at AND fits your stroke makes all the difference. Also, just be broke like I always was. You'll never have cash to buy one!

I echo this but would add to find a weight that works for you as well. I mostly putted with Anser style head but all in the 340g-350g weight. Last year I got a Carbon Ringo 1/4 that's 370g and I love the feel of the heavier head. My putting has improved greatly. Used to avg 35-36 putts/round, now I'm in the 29-32 area.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I echo this but would add to find a weight that works for you as well. I mostly putted with Anser style head but all in the 340g-350g weight. Last year I got a Carbon Ringo 1/4 that's 370g and I love the feel of the heavier head. My putting has improved greatly. Used to avg 35-36 putts/round, now I'm in the 29-32 area.

1000% this as well. The Yes! I bagged is 350g and that Odyssey couldn't have been 325g it seemed. That extra weight has been awesome.

Got out today and played 18 at Saddle Rock today. Second round out since the Monte clinic. Last week I shot a 93 at Aurora Hills...complete with 2 quad-bogies and a triple, the only thing that kept me under 100 was finishing 15-18 at +1. I wasn't feeling really well and pretty much had no business playing golf. I was just too damn stubborn to stay home.

This week was much better at Saddle Rock. Shot an 89, but feel like I actually played better and it could've been 82-85, except for a couple of holes of dumb-assery. Straight shanked a wedge into #1 from 100 yards out... and doubled to start the round. Then started the back nine with two 7's in a row. Aside from those 3 stupid holes, everything else was a par or bogey. I'm sold on the Monte bunker technique- converted 2/3 sandies to save par. I've also been focusing on steadying my hips while putting, and really having better success on the greens. I still have a lot of work to do to practice the new setup and transition change. When I get it right, I'm striking the ball much better; but I keep catching myself falling back into old habits and stuck between old swing and new swing, and I'm spraying shots around without a consistent miss.

Hope everyone got to enjoy the weather and play today.

Nice. Even though the score wasn't what you wanted, you can take away some positives. The fact that you were 2/3 for sand saves is great. I myself am still struggling out of the sand, but I did much better the second time I got out last week after revisiting my notes. I didn't convert any of them, but one had a terrible lie/situation (downhill near the back lip with the pin tucked close) that I was pleased to just get out, and the other I simply didn't get enough on it so I was left with a 15ft putt. But I got out on both of them nicely, so progress!

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Buffalo Run was an exercise in frustration. After a birdie on 1 and missing a five-footer on 2 for birdie, the wheels came off and I shot an 85 with one double and two triples. My poor play was the cause for us missing out on the money on the cart bet and foursome bet. :(

I couldn't get off the tee box. I kept hitting my driver on the very bottom of the clubface, so it was a screaming, 100yd drive that never got 5 feet off the ground. My 3-iron wasn't much better, as I kept blocking it way right. My iron play and putting were okay--so it was the total opposite of last week at Broadlands.

The only perk about Saturday was that it was absolutely gorgeous and a perfect temperature. I wore a warm weather compression shirt for the first six holes; I never reached for my hand warmers or gloves. :D It was CPO for the first 11 holes, then the marshalls said that we could drive on the fairway (which didn't matter to me since I was walking the majority of the time).

Next tournament is at Mariana Butte on June 3. That's going to be a long drive.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Played matchplay yesterday at Highlands Ranch. Started with an awful tee s*** that hit a tree off the box and went into the driving range. After just about calling it, I found the ball and hit a 20 yard cut around a tree from 220 to 10 feet. The guy I was playing was so rattled that he made bogey out of the middle of the fairway and it seemed like he never got comfortable. I proceeded to play a three iron around the golf course just grinding out pars. The guy was frustrated the whole day and I ended up making birdie on 15 to close him out 4 and 3 and to avoid 16 and 17 (both stroke holes) that can really swing a match.

Is it weird that I feel like I'm cheating not hitting driver? Our blue tees are short and I can easily hit my 3 iron to comfortable shots in to the green. Part of me feels wrong for doing it tho... haha

Cheers to the work week, I'm off to Prairie Club Friday afternoon for a big golf weekend!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Played matchplay yesterday at Highlands Ranch. Started with an awful tee s*** that hit a tree off the box and went into the driving range. After just about calling it, I found the ball and hit a 20 yard cut around a tree from 220 to 10 feet. The guy I was playing was so rattled that he made bogey out of the middle of the fairway and it seemed like he never got comfortable. I proceeded to play a three iron around the golf course just grinding out pars. The guy was frustrated the whole day and I ended up making birdie on 15 to close him out 4 and 3 and to avoid 16 and 17 (both stroke holes) that can really swing a match.

Is it weird that I feel like I'm cheating not hitting driver? Our blue tees are short and I can easily hit my 3 iron to comfortable shots in to the green. Part of me feels wrong for doing it tho... haha

Cheers to the work week, I'm off to Prairie Club Friday afternoon for a big golf weekend!

Have fun at Valentine! We've gone twice and really enjoy the courses, second time we played 36 each day. Stop at Wildhorse near Gothenburg for another great 18.

I think that shot would rattle anyone. Almost anyone could hope for a swing like that early in a match to just kill our opponent's morale.

Cheating?! Nah. That's called course management. Do what you have to do to make good numbers. CO National is 7400 from the blacks and I only hit 6ish drivers (depending on wind).

Buffalo Run was an exercise in frustration. After a birdie on 1 and missing a five-footer on 2 for birdie, the wheels came off and I shot an 85 with one double and two triples. My poor play was the cause for us missing out on the money on the cart bet and foursome bet. :(

I couldn't get off the tee box. I kept hitting my driver on the very bottom of the clubface, so it was a screaming, 100yd drive that never got 5 feet off the ground. My 3-iron wasn't much better, as I kept blocking it way right. My iron play and putting were okay--so it was the total opposite of last week at Broadlands.

The only perk about Saturday was that it was absolutely gorgeous and a perfect temperature. I wore a warm weather compression shirt for the first six holes; I never reached for my hand warmers or gloves. :D It was CPO for the first 11 holes, then the marshalls said that we could drive on the fairway (which didn't matter to me since I was walking the majority of the time).

Next tournament is at Mariana Butte on June 3. That's going to be a long drive.

How were the conditions at Buffalo Run? They're usually pretty ugly.

Also, that drive to Mariana is worth it. I've only played it once but I really liked that golf course.

How were the conditions at Buffalo Run? They're usually pretty ugly.

Also, that drive to Mariana is worth it. I've only played it once but I really liked that golf course.

Buff wasn't in the best of shapes, and it will only get worse throughout the summer. That is why the league tries to book it as early in the season as possible. I will say the greens were in great shape, albeit slow.

Everyone says Mariana is absolutely worth the drive (1h20m from Parker--yikes!), so that is what is convincing me to go. I didn't want to hang out with a bunch of blonde Swedish women hosting a garage sale at my house. :D

Walking 36 holes this weekend was a little more than I could chew. Reminded me how out of shape I am. My legs and feet were killing me Sunday afternoon!

Shot an 82 at Legacy Ridge Saturday during a tournament. Had 4 three-putts on the card. Get rid of those, and I would have ended up tied for first.

Got out and played another round with Joel yesterday. First time at CO Narional. Beautiful course, totally get why he's a member out there. My putter was pretty hot, and I only had 29 putts for the day.

Apparently 29 is the age when golf related injuries start happening. Pulled/tweaked something in my hand, and it hurts to grip a club. Or hold anything in my hand really. Couldn't lift a glass of water or get my wallet out of my back pocket at dinner last night. Should probably see a doctor. Might be taking a short hiatus from the game until I figure out what's wrong.

Mariana Butte is absolutely worth the drive. If you factor in price, it is one of the best courses on the front range in my opinion.

They do a 36-hole special out there where you play the old course and marianna butte for less than $100 with cart. I really want to do that one day.

Info on this garage sale? :p

LMAO! Not sure I would have made the same choice!

Edel E-1

Walking 36 holes this weekend was a little more than I could chew. Reminded me how out of shape I am. My legs and feet were killing me Sunday afternoon!

Shot an 82 at Legacy Ridge Saturday during a tournament. Had 4 three-putts on the card. Get rid of those, and I would have ended up tied for first.

Got out and played another round with Joel yesterday. First time at CO Narional. Beautiful course, totally get why he's a member out there. My putter was pretty hot, and I only had 29 putts for the day.

Apparently 29 is the age when golf related injuries start happening. Pulled/tweaked something in my hand, and it hurts to grip a club. Or hold anything in my hand really. Couldn't lift a glass of water or get my wallet out of my back pocket at dinner last night. Should probably see a doctor. Might be taking a short hiatus from the game until I figure out what's wrong.

Nice shooting! I haven't played CO National since it was Vista Ridge, but I definitely like that course quite a bit. Sucks that you got hurt. Welcome to getting old :)

Edel E-1

Apparently 29 is the age when golf related injuries start happening.

Just wait 'til you hit 40. Ow. This is the first year that I have pain in my hips after I golf. That can't be good.

Apparently 29 is the age when golf related injuries start happening.

Just wait 'til you hit 40. Ow. This is the first year that I have pain in my hips after I golf. That can't be good.

Oh great. So I only have one year left of pain free golf? Guess I better play more often then.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Nice work, Jacob. Sucks about the hand. Rest up and play well once you're ready.

Living vicariously through you guys for the next couple of weeks. Loving hearing about all of the improvements you're all making. Keep grinding out there!

Hope you get better man!

That walk at National is pretty brutal though too. My legs were still a little worn out yesterday. You were definitely putting well too, 5 putts through 4 holes!

Mariana Butte is absolutely worth the drive. If you factor in price, it is one of the best courses on the front range in my opinion.

They do a 36-hole special out there where you play the old course and marianna butte for less than $100 with cart. I really want to do that one day.

Getting a group together to play the 36-hole special At the Old Course and Marianna would be a blast, Been trying to get a group together to do that for a little over a year, but can never get enough people at the same time.

Just played the Old Course a week ago. Enjoy walking that course.

Getting a group together to play the 36-hole special At the Old Course and Marianna would be a blast, Been trying to get a group together to do that for a little over a year, but can never get enough people at the same time.

Just played the Old Course a week ago. Enjoy walking that course.

I would be in if it doesn't conflict with a tournament.

I like the Olde course a lot. It's one of the better muni's out there I think.

I'd be in if the timing was right!

Brian, just pointing out it's been 17 hours since you said you couldn't golf...

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5