Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

I'll take one of the spots.

Shame that we can't carpool. I was thinking about hitting Black Hawk in the evening...

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot would have liked to join y'all at Rivendale, but have a birthday party to take my son to for one of his friends in the morning.

But I am looking at playing around 12 or 1 somewhere North of Denver, may only be nine holes though. I'm thinking of just playing at Eagle Trace, since we'll be near there.

I signed up for a putting clinic at Trent Wearner golf this Saturday @6 so I'm excited to see what I learn from it. With my new putter my putting has gotten better as has my distance control but I still feel I have some fundamental issues with alignment I need some help on.

Last couple of rounds I've only had 1-2 holes with "bad" putting, usually because I leave my self in bad positions on the green. For instance I hit #5 at Highland Meadows (par 5) in Regulation, but the pin was in the front and I was way in the back. The green is tiered and I was pretty concerned about blowing the long putt by the hole once it caught the down hilll, and my first putt stopped right on the ridge another 1-2 feet and it would rolled down, but then my second putt still ended up 8 feet short (too much respect for the downhill I guess) and my third putt lipped out, so I got the lovely 4-putt after hitting a GIR...hate when I do that.

I'd love to hear your feedback from the clinic. Jerry Walters is a cool guy. I feel like I'm putting better since I got my new putter, but I still have a ways to go.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Agree on Jerry, he's the fitter who helped me purchase my new putter. I still sometimes struggle with should I have gone with one of the other choices, but I really feel confident standing over this putter and I've made some good putts with it (and some good lag putts) on the course. So those doubts/questions are slowly dwindling.

I'll take one of the spots.

Shame that we can't carpool. I was thinking about hitting Black Hawk in the evening...

It's all good...I'm afraid to drive with Asians anyway *on mobile so that emoji may not work...but it's a tongue out winky face so don't punch me in the junk.

Okay serious flame suit on....just played a chapman with the wife on the front nine of the dunes, well that format alone will lead to a divorce...but throw in crazy mosquitoes and super slow play and ugh.

*****if I ever complain about the wind at Riverdale again, please remind me of this day*** when it was howling our first 4 holes it was glorious today....no bugs, less hot.

Oh and I'm still totally in for next week....this course owns me, and I'm ready to conquer it!

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

*on mobile so that emoji may not work...but it's a tongue out winky face so don't punch me in the junk.

Remind me to punch you in the junk at the course.

I can't keep up with this thread!

To go back a couple of pages... I saw that best in CO list online a few days ago. The only one of those courses I've ever played is Red Sky Ranch (Fazio). Played it a couple years ago when we were up in Vail for a short vacation. Nice place, but man, those greens frustrated the hell out of me. I couldn't read a putt right to save my life.

I REALLY want to play Ballyneal and Colorado GC some day. I don't play in the right social circles to ever expect to get on either though. I guess if I want to go play a Doak and Coore/Crenshaw course, I'll just have to go on another Bandon trip. :-)

On a totally different topic... looks like my annual summer bachelor week is going to be 7/5-7/11. My wife is heading back to MI to visit her mom. Hoping the weather and my work schedule both cooperate and I can get several rounds of golf in that week.

Just made a tee time for tomorrow morning at 6:30. Golf courses on Fathers Day are like bars on St. Patty's. It's going to be a s*** show, but hopefully being that early it won't be too long of a round.

First of all, I hope you guys don't mind a "non Rockies" guy popping in here periodically. We're planning a move to the area in the very near future, and it's already more relevant to me than the Great Plains thread. So I follow here much more closely.

But a question. What is a normal price range for range balls in the area. Balls are included at our course at home, so I don't pay too often for range balls.

But I stopped at Highland Hills in Greeley yesterday and it was $5 for a small bucket, which to me appeared to be about 30 balls. It just seemed a bit high too me, but maybe that is normal (the range is awfully scruffy too, maybe that factored in).

Happy Father's day to you guys, particularly the new father's! Hope it's a great day for everyone! The weather is perfect right now!

Edel E-1

First of all, I hope you guys don't mind a "non Rockies" guy popping in here periodically. We're planning a move to the area in the very near future, and it's already more relevant to me than the Great Plains thread. So I follow here much more closely.

But a question. What is a normal price range for range balls in the area. Balls are included at our course at home, so I don't pay too often for range balls.

But I stopped at Highland Hills in Greeley yesterday and it was $5 for a small bucket, which to me appeared to be about 30 balls. It just seemed a bit high too me, but maybe that is normal (the range is awfully scruffy too, maybe that factored in).

That's about going rate for a small bucket. Murphy Creek is $4 for a token, as is Riverdale, which is about the same as a small bucket. I don't think you'll find much variation around here, unless the balls are included with the tee time.

So had an interesting day yesterday. Couldn't hit on the range, couldn't putt on the practice green. Then realized I was missing my 60 degree (luckily it was in my wife's bag)

So what club did I need from 76 yards out on the first hole?? Hit my sand wedge a little long and left a downhill putt. 3-putt bogey and I'm already dejected. Then somehow played the next 17 holes at even par to win gross in a scorecard playoff. Played 9 holes for couples league and couldn't hit the ball again.

Golf sure is a fickle game.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Happy Father's Day to all you Dad's out there. My dad is a really bad golfer, and he really doesn't enjoy the game at all. So my gift to him is that he DOESN'T have to go play with me. :-)

Had a very encouraging round today. Shot 87 which isn't where I want to be, but lots of things to be happy about. I started double, bogey, double on the first 3 holes. So +5 to start, but then settled down and finished the front at +7. Played fairly well on the back, until 16 where I carded a triple, due to a lost ball in the scrub grass and then 3 putted. I went hiking with a friend on Saturday, and did about 8-9 miles, with around 2k elevation gain. So walking/carrying 18 this morning was a little much, and I ran out of gas at the end.

Things I'm happy about / encouraged by...

- The changes I've been working on since the Monte clinic are starting to feel natural and normal now. I've had some really good sessions at the range practicing over the last couple of weeks.

- Hitting my driver really well. Hit 7 fairways and then barely missed 3 more (less than a yard into rough). The ones I missed cost me a bunch of strokes, but overall this is the best I've ever hit driver.

- Since the clinic I've picked up 20+ yards off the tee. I'm hitting good drives 260-275, carry + roll. That may not seem too big for some of you guys, but for me coming from hitting 235-250 it's a huge difference. Hitting 7-8-9 irons into greens instead of 5-6 irons is really nice.

- For the last couple of rounds, I seem to have gone from a two way miss to having a one way miss off the tee. Good shots are straight down the center, and my miss is a pull left. I'm not worrying about the right side of the course at all. Also, I can feel exactly what I'm doing when the pull shows up.

- Holes 5-15, I played at +4. That's one of the best stretch of holes I've ever had... now if only I can get rid of the doubles/triples on 1,3 & 16, I'd actually be shooting a pretty decent score.

Stuff that I'm still struggling with...

- Iron play is still the worst part of my game. Only hit 5 greens today. I was -1 on those holes. Final score was +15. That says everything.

- I hit atrocious tee shots on every par 3 today. Bogey'd 4/5, and doubled the other one. Par 3's are killing me this year.

- Speed control around the greens is still pretty bad. The greens were slow (rolling smooth, but slow) today, and I couldn't deal with it. My reads/lines are pretty good, but I can't control the speed. I had at least 3-4 putts that I had going straight into the cup and missed short today.

So had an interesting day yesterday. Couldn't hit on the range, couldn't putt on the practice green. Then realized I was missing my 60 degree (luckily it was in my wife's bag)

So what club did I need from 76 yards out on the first hole?? Hit my sand wedge a little long and left a downhill putt. 3-putt bogey and I'm already dejected. Then somehow played the next 17 holes at even par to win gross in a scorecard playoff. Played 9 holes for couples league and couldn't hit the ball again.

Golf sure is a fickle game.

Fickle game? I call it a fickle B!tch! So frustrating, easy swing the driver, ball goes far. Easy swing an iron, never make solid contact.

Riverdale Dunes

Saturday, June 24

8:49am

Me

brainhorne8

seven dewey

Still room for one more.

That's about going rate for a small bucket. Murphy Creek is $4 for a token, as is Riverdale, which is about the same as a small bucket. I don't think you'll find much variation around here, unless the balls are included with the tee time.

Thanks Brian, that sounds like what else I've been told. Guess it was a bit of "sticker shock" for me. I've gotten spoiled.

I like this idea. When the season slows down this fall and the courses aren't as crowded, I may try doing a 4-ball scramble with myself to see how I'd score. I'd really be interested to see how I would do. I'd like to think I'd shoot in the mid-high 60's, but who knows...

As a practice I recommend playing a game like this as your last round before a tournament. Usually the Friday before a CGA I will play a 2-ball scramble or maybe go play a round off the ladies tees.

This way you see a lot of birdies go in and it really serves as a fantastic mental platform for the grind the next few days will present to you. I love the ladies tees idea most because I also have to think a little bit about what club to hit, where my misses could be, etc to get the correct course management thought process going for the weekend also.

Usually when I have the opportunity to do this the day before I shoot lights out the next day.

Never thought about doing this but it's a great idea. I'm going to steal this one for sure...

An opposite idea that I got from Broadie's book was to play a worst shot scramble with yourself. Hit two balls, pick the worse one, play from two from there, pick the worst, and so on. You practice playing from really bad lies and positions and it shows you just how much bad shots kill your score.

I used to do this quite a bit. It's a tough game. I think my best was +5 for 9 holes.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

An opposite idea that I got from Broadie's book was to play a worst shot scramble with yourself. Hit two balls, pick the worse one, play from two from there, pick the worst, and so on. You practice playing from really bad lies and positions and it shows you just how much bad shots kill your score.

I would never finish a round! You would have to make the same putt twice on every hole?

yep. the way we played it you did. If you make a 30' bomb you have to do it again for it to count. puts a lot of pressure on the 2nd shot.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Riverdale Dunes

Saturday, June 24

Me

brainhorne8

seven dewey

Still room for one more.

If it were only on Sunday instead... :(

Edel E-1

Riverdale Dunes

Saturday, June 24

Me

brainhorne8

seven dewey

Still room for one more.

Wish I could. Attending family day at work. I know going into work on a Saturday but they are going to have tons of stuff set up for kids. My son really enjoyed it last time.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Thanks Brian, that sounds like what else I've been told. Guess it was a bit of "sticker shock" for me. I've gotten spoiled.

My only addition here is not to use Highland Hills as an example of a driving range or what the normal balls look like. That range was not in good shape and they had at least 50 different kinds of balls. 1 out of every 15 were completely dead and would dive out of the air or do S turns for me a couple weekends ago, it was absolutely brutal.

Riverdale Dunes

Saturday, June 24

Me

brainhorne8

seven dewey

Still room for one more.

Count me in tentatively. My 5 year anniversary is the day before. I was going to play the CGA stars and stripes that weekend but the price was not good. My wife might want breakfast the next morning or might just want to play with me. Count me in for the time being, I will firm up plans with her.

Riverdale Dunes

Saturday, June 24

Me

brainhorne8

seven dewey

Still room for one more.

I'm interested in joining you guys if the spot's still open. I've never played there before, and it's been on the list for a while of places to check out. I play at about a 12-13 hcp, if that skill level fits with the rest of the group.

EDIT: just saw Joelness replied ahead of me. If for someone has to back out let me know.

Interesting golf weekend:

Played 36 at Inverness on Friday. Course was in great shape but I hate how short it is. Almost every hole set up for a 260-280 drive. I shot 82-69. The 69 was with teeing off with a four iron the entire round. I typically hit by 3 iron a ton but the club came loose last weekend and wasn't hit-able. By the end of the day, the 4 iron also came loose. The 50 wedge has something that's loose and rattling around inside (epoxy I think). These clubs were built up by D'Lance this spring and these are now the 4th clubs of the set that have come apart and are being rebuilt. I dropped off the entire set this morning to get completely rebuilt up.

Rant:

I may have typed some of this before here or somewhere so no need to read if you've seen it already.

I went to D'Lance at the recommendation of a friend to get lofts and lies done and to get fitted for a three wood. I told them what I wanted to hit for three woods and they said come on in. Had none of what I had asked about and I didn't want to waste time getting fitted for a club I wasn't going to buy. Let's just skip to lofts and lies. This turns into a semi-fitting where the shafts are wrong. I'm not overly surprised and am now intrigued about what I get fitted into. We couldn't get all the way done in 3 hours so I had to come back to finish up. I got charged at the end for the full fitting and left without lofts and lies getting adjusted. Slightly disappointed but overall happy about the experience and the numbers.

Come back to finish up and end up with a build spec sheet that was close to 1300 bucks for 11 clubs to get reshafted and regripped because I was keeping all the same club heads. I googled the shafts and grips and it was 462 for products and 1300 total which I would say is quite a markup. Their big sell is how precise everything is and swingweights are perfect, etc. I actually had money left over from member-member calcutta so I pulled the trigger on having them do it. Fast forward to clubs breaking and falling apart and I think the operation is a joke. They fit me good but this is unacceptable especially considering the price. I'm baffled that I've played probably 25 sets of irons over the last 15 years and have never had a club head fall off.

I would not recommend them to anyone and will more than likely switch to club champion for any specific work in the future.

End Rant.

Played my match play match on Saturday with 11 clubs and hung with the guy but got beat on 18 after losing three straight. Definitely lost it mentally and gave the match away which sucked. The guy I played was a 12 handicap and shot +8 with three double bogeys. The way the holes broke down he had 8 net birdies and a net eagle. In hindsight, I was just happy I was able to hang with him as long as I did.

Hope everyone had good golf weekends!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Wow, that is really disappointing and frustrating about your clubs. I agree that D'Lance overcharges quite a bit, but it's really unacceptable that their quality of work appears to have declined so much.

A 82-69 is quite the interesting day though! I have never played that course but have always been curious about it. Not sure I would like it, since I tend not to like shorter courses where you have to leave the driver in the bag on many holes.

Edel E-1

Played 36 at Inverness on Friday. Course was in great shape but I hate how short it is. Almost every hole set up for a 260-280 drive. I shot 82-69. The 69 was with teeing off with a four iron the entire round. I typically hit by 3 iron a ton but the club came loose last weekend and wasn't hit-able. By the end of the day, the 4 iron also came loose. The 50 wedge has something that's loose and rattling around inside (epoxy I think). These clubs were built up by D'Lance this spring and these are now the 4th clubs of the set that have come apart and are being rebuilt. I dropped off the entire set this morning to get completely rebuilt up.

Rant:

I may have typed some of this before here or somewhere so no need to read if you've seen it already.

I went to D'Lance at the recommendation of a friend to get lofts and lies done and to get fitted for a three wood. I told them what I wanted to hit for three woods and they said come on in. Had none of what I had asked about and I didn't want to waste time getting fitted for a club I wasn't going to buy. Let's just skip to lofts and lies. This turns into a semi-fitting where the shafts are wrong. I'm not overly surprised and am now intrigued about what I get fitted into. We couldn't get all the way done in 3 hours so I had to come back to finish up. I got charged at the end for the full fitting and left without lofts and lies getting adjusted. Slightly disappointed but overall happy about the experience and the numbers.

Come back to finish up and end up with a build spec sheet that was close to 1300 bucks for 11 clubs to get reshafted and regripped because I was keeping all the same club heads. I googled the shafts and grips and it was 462 for products and 1300 total which I would say is quite a markup. Their big sell is how precise everything is and swingweights are perfect, etc. I actually had money left over from member-member calcutta so I pulled the trigger on having them do it. Fast forward to clubs breaking and falling apart and I think the operation is a joke. They fit me good but this is unacceptable especially considering the price. I'm baffled that I've played probably 25 sets of irons over the last 15 years and have never had a club head fall off.

I would not recommend them to anyone and will more than likely switch to club champion for any specific work in the future.

End Rant.

Played my match play match on Saturday with 11 clubs and hung with the guy but got beat on 18 after losing three straight. Definitely lost it mentally and gave the match away which sucked. The guy I played was a 12 handicap and shot +8 with three double bogeys. The way the holes broke down he had 8 net birdies and a net eagle. In hindsight, I was just happy I was able to hang with him as long as I did.

I've heard some of these complaints from a few of the other CGA players I see on a regular basis. I had one of them order a full mizuno MP-5 set from them. When everything showed up the shaft lengths were off, grips weren't right, etc.

He said he flat out returned the set and refused to do business with them any longer.

I've heard enough grumblings that I won't go there. Trust is everything when building a set. That's why I do my own loft + lie and only leave clubs with my best buddy or Rich Beam.

Rant:

End Rant.

I've heard some of these complaints from a few of the other CGA players I see on a regular basis. I had one of them order a full mizuno MP-5 set from them. When everything showed up the shaft lengths were off, grips weren't right, etc.

He said he flat out returned the set and refused to do business with them any longer.

I've heard enough grumblings that I won't go there. Trust is everything when building a set. That's why I do my own loft + lie and only leave clubs with my best buddy or Rich Beam.

This. I heard enough stories about D'Lance that before getting fitted in 2015 that I didn't even bother with them. Straight to Dan Weitzel, and he'll be doing all my gear for as long as he doing it.

Yeah, I heard the same as well. I've been using Dan Weitzel in Highlands Ranch and he's been awesome to work with. I'd highly recommend him.

On another note, my game has completely gone into the pooper. Mind you I'm not a great player by any means but can usually get it around decently. Scores hover in the high 70's to low/mid 80's. This weekend posted 2 scores north of 90. 90!! As region I haven't visited in a long time. I've been going over the rounds in my head and quiet honestly it's not one thing that causing the high scores. I actually drove it pretty well over the weekend (10/14 on Saturday, 9/14 Sunday) and thought I hit the irons okay. When I did miss is was a block that honestly left me in a couple of tough spots. I've been working on the stuff from Monte's clinic and when I do it correctly I hit the iron so well. If I had to be honest, I think I'm just getting lazy thru the ball and I don't know why. If I can stay aggressive thru the impact zone I hit the ball well and accurate. Just need to figure out how to do that consistently. I don't know what's changed that's caused me to get so lazy. Maybe it's a little lack of sleep with the new boy at home, maybe it's a lack of strength from losing weight, I just don't know. I need to get it figured out quick since our MGA season is ramping up.

Sorry, just wanted to rant a little. Back to the grind.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

On another note, my game has completely gone into the pooper. Mind you I'm not a great player by any means but can usually get it around decently.

Your handicap says otherwise lol. And since you're shooting in the 90's, maybe I can give you some competition finally haha. In all honesty though, lack of sleep can have a tremendous impact even if you don't necessarily feel it.

Edel E-1

Count me in tentatively. My 5 year anniversary is the day before. I was going to play the CGA stars and stripes that weekend but the price was not good. My wife might want breakfast the next morning or might just want to play with me. Count me in for the time being, I will firm up plans with her.

I'm interested in joining you guys if the spot's still open. I've never played there before, and it's been on the list for a while of places to check out. I play at about a 12-13 hcp, if that skill level fits with the rest of the group.

EDIT: just saw Joelness replied ahead of me. If for someone has to back out let me know.

Cool. Sounds like we have a foursome. Joelness, let the gang know as soon as possible.