Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

I use to do work after my son went to bed, but I'd end up working 10pm to 4am and then getting up at 9am to start it all over. Being honest I wore myself out. Now if my son asks me to take him to bed I end up falling asleep with him and just wake up at 6am to start the day.

Problem I've faced my whole life is a work/life or school/life balance. I've always skewed to work or school but after having my son I really moved to more 'life' and spending time with my family (outside the golf course of course :) ).

Definitely a hard balance to make at times, but being with my wife and son makes everything more worthwhile.

Agree completely. I would easily give up a day on the course for some time playing with my son. He may not remember those time but I always will.

You guys are such a nice change of pace from the "I golf (or really do anything) to get away from my wife and kids" subset of these forums. Thanks for being good dads.

I'm totally with you. Family time is the best.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome day with Brian...

...and seven dewey, well, at least he brought a friend. :tongue:

I think we all fed off each other and shot very well. 75, 77, 80, and 83 (not bad for high single cappers). There was a six-hole stretch where at least one of us made a birdie. When I think about it, it was the only six holes anyone made a birdie. :D

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Awesome day with Brian...

...and seven dewey, well, at least he brought a friend. :tongue:

I think we all fed off each other and shot very well. 75, 77, 80, and 83 (not bad for high single cappers). There was a six-hole stretch where at least one of us made a birdie. When I think about it, it was the only six holes anyone made a birdie. :D

And a shot that hit the pin and was very close to being a double eagle (yes, bragging) but was three-putted for par (yes, telling the truth). :cry:

We're some interesting golfers. Interesting, but fun. Thanks for putting it together!

You know what makes for a great Saturday? NEW GOLF CLUB DAY!

I've been having some elbow pain playing recently and decided to go for a graphite shaft experiment in my irons. I tried out the TaylorMade PSI irons with graphite over at the PGA Superstore a couple months ago. I liked them, but didn't really feel like dropping 700 dollars on an experiment at the time. Fast forward to last week, and I found a barely used set on eBay that I won for $350. Guy said he used them for 3 rounds, but there were a couple of clubs that don't look like they were ever hit at all.

Typically I play R flex in everything. However a couple seasons ago I was having hook/slice problems with hybrids, and I switched to S flex in my hybrids and hit a little lower but dead straight. My 4H is probably the best club in my bag. With this new set, I was debating between R and S flex. I hit both at the PGA store, and as expected had higher spin with the R flex on the simulator. I decided to go for S, and after an outdoor range session, I think that was a good decision. I just hit about an 80 ball bucket of 8-irons switching between the new PSI and old set. They're both the same loft and length, so the only difference is the shaft. On solid strikes I didn't really notice any difference in distance. However, the new set is definitely higher flight. That's going to take some getting used to, but I think it may be a good thing.

With my other set I had a 50* GW. The new set ends at 45 or 46* PW. Also, my SW has seen better days... it was about 8 years old, but I feel so comfortable with it I never wanted to replace it... but it was time. So I picked up two Callaway MD3 wedges; 50* S-grind, and 56* C-grind. I really like the C-grind, because it's got quite a bit of toe and heel relief. After hitting my bucket, I spent about 30 minutes at the short game area playing with the new 56*. It has a little more "clicky" sound than the forged Mizuno it's replacing, but plays very similar.

Playing Red Hawk Ridge tomorrow morning... so the new sticks are going to get their first on course tryout!

Playing Red Hawk Ridge tomorrow morning... so the new sticks are going to get their first on course tryout!

I'm playing RHR tomorrow, too. PM sent.

My quest towards 79 continues....

Shot 85 today (44, 41). Easily had 6 shots left out there. Front side was a bit of a mess. Had 3 doubles on the first 4, with a birdies snuck in there on #2. I missed two different two-footers on the back side. One was a bad stroke the other was lazy, and I should've marked and taken a look. All in all though, 41 is my best 9 holes of the season. In the month of June, my last 4 rounds I've gone 92, 89, 87, and 85. Going the right direction. It's amazing what happens when I spend some time practicing. :-)

Headed to Michigan next week for a few days, and am taking the sticks. Hope to get out and play 2 or 3 times while I'm away.

The first seven holes today at Red Hawk Ridge were probably the best golf I've ever played. I only came out with two birdies, but every single birdie chance was within 12 feet (including a missed eagle putt from 10 feet on 1). Unfortunately, golf is usually played over 18 holes, and the last 11 were downright pitiful. Oh well.

On the plus side, I did hit 11/13 fairways. One trickled into a fairway bunker, and the other was two feet off in the rough.

On the downhill 15th, even with a stiff breeze in my face, I still cranked a 327yd drive. That felt good.

I also got $85 in league money. That felt even better.

Any posters familiar with The Fox Hill Club in Longmont?

I'm gonna carry for a kid from our club in the US Jr. qualifier on Tuesday and I'd appreciate any insights or local knowledge type information anyone had.

I know the club very well. It was a sister course for CO National and I've played it a good 40-50 times.

Are you looking for all the details?

Fox Hill:

General rules of the course: All holes near the corn field (toward the new hospital) have a pull that direction on the greens (2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 17, 18). In general, play this course mostly in front of you. Play the doglegs to the corners. Going over most corners requires perfect shots and aren't much of an advantage.

This is a conservative, tight, ball strikers golf course. It's my favorite parkland layout that I've played in Colorado. Conditions are always perfect and greens are fast and PURE.

On to the specific holes! I can't be much help on distances off the tees since I only play the blacks.

1. Second toughest hole on the course. Long par 4, favor the right side off the tee. Green slopes mostly left to right, has a little false front.
  2. Play to the 150 and take your wedge/short iron in. Pretty straightforward.
  3. I like to hit a cut right off the tree in the fairway on the corner. I play one about 250 from the blacks. It's drivable from the blues and whites, at least putting one right up front.
  4. Straightforward par 3. Along with the other holes mentioned, this green is pretty fast towards the corn field.
  5. So begins two tough holes. Play the tee shot to the corner, hitting the fairway here is a must, you need some spin on your 2nd shot. If the pin is anywhere left, watch out and stay short of it at all costs.
  6. Tough tee shot here, I've seen many ways to play this shot. If you have a club to clear the water you can play one over the edge of the lake. The safest play is to hit something short, giving you 170ish in.
  7. Long but getable par 5. Nothing crazy to describe here
  8. Long par 3. Green is much faster then it looks left to right Right to left (toward the field).
  9. Tough hole, almost exactly the same hole as 18. Two good shots are required here. Big false front.
  10. 280 right over the corner from the blacks. Since it's blind, plan on playing 25 yards past the bunker you can see on the corner, right over it is perfect.
  11. Long par 3, one of the hardest holes on the course. OB right.
  12. Tight tee shot, I play about 250 from the black tees. This green is steeper then it looks. Below the hole is a must (short.)
  13. Play a cut off the bunkers. There's room right, but not as much as it seems.
  14. Another long par 5. It requires two great shots to get it home in 2.
  15. Toughest hole on the course. 515 par 4 from the tips with a ridiculous green. Trees left and water right requires a good tee shot and this green is sloped hard front to back Back to front
  16. Another tight tee shot. Less than driver typically, fairway is a must, left is an automatic punch-out.
  17. Everything is in front of you here.
  18. This hole is almost just like 9, there's just a little bit more right to left turn than 9. A draw over the corner is perfect. Not as much false-front on this green.

EDIT: Damn midnight posts, clearly I was a little tired.

Thanks Joel; very insightful

The youngsters will be playing it as a combo of the tips and one-up (just shy of 7,000 yds). The kid I'm going to loop for mashes the ball; not a great short game and poor course management. So I'm gonna hopefully help there. Your advice on how to play some of those holes may be helpful as he'll otherwise want to pull driver on every hole and like 12 for example seems like a driving iron or hybrid type shot for sure.

Thanks again and your description has me excited to see the course. We live up in Glenwood Springs so heading down this evening and won't get a practice round in so every bit of information helps.

This weekend included this fun guy.

Yes, that was in a tournament. I haven't done that for a good 5 years or so. Pretty easy par 5. Thought I'd play smart and lay up instead of attempting to reach in 2. Left myself with 115 in...and that happened.

For all that is holy to WRX, I hope you still got up and down for birdie? :D

I play in couples league with my wife. I love it. No pressure to play well

Yeah I love couples league. It might be slightly unfair though as my wife shoots in the 80's and I'm a plus cap.

It was hilarious the first time we played because there was a "take two drives from each person" rule. The backstory is that I hit my driver about 315-335 avg. However, the only drives of mine we took were the two par 3's because my wife hits it 230 from the ladies tees, which ends up about 50 yards past me all the time.

Yeah..... Played with my wife on saturday around noon and she beat me for the first time. Girl shot 37 on the front nine! I bogeyed 8 and 9 to shoot 38 and lose to her.

My young self would be a little ego hurt but honestly... I'm super proud of her! Two bogies and a birdie, girl killed it!

The youngsters will be playing it as a combo of the tips and one-up (just shy of 7,000 yds). The kid I'm going to loop for mashes the ball; not a great short game and poor course management. So I'm gonna hopefully help there. Your advice on how to play some of those holes may be helpful as he'll otherwise want to pull driver on every hole and like 12 for example seems like a driving iron or hybrid type shot for sure.

Thanks again and your description has me excited to see the course. We live up in Glenwood Springs so heading down this evening and won't get a practice round in so every bit of information helps.

Yes, course knowledge out there is EXTREMELY important. There are a lot of places you just can't go that are sure punch-outs.

Yes, that was in a tournament. I haven't done that for a good 5 years or so. Pretty easy par 5. Thought I'd play smart and lay up instead of attempting to reach in 2. Left myself with 115 in...and that happened.

I wish I could say I haven't done that in 5 years or so. I bet I get 2-3 S_____ per year. Hard thing to shake but it happens. That WTF reaction I can see in your vid sounds about right, they come out of nowhere!

OvrB30k.gif

I blame the pony. It clearly threw off your balance. Would have been a perfect strike, otherwise.

ETA just ask pseudoswede how many 115 yard shots I left short the other day. You may have shanked this one, but you're not alone in your wedge follies.

Joel-thanks so much for taking the time to recap the holes. My son is also playing that event tomorrow, and has played Fox Hill a few times before, but this is a great refresher.

007-best of luck tomorrow. As they shortened the event to 18 holes from 36 in 1 day, it will be a bit easier for everyone :).

Guys, your task tomorrow is to remind your kids that par is a really good score out there. My guess is that even par is in a playoff at the very least.

Joel-thanks so much for taking the time to recap the holes. My son is also playing that event tomorrow, and has played Fox Hill a few times before, but this is a great refresher.

007-best of luck tomorrow. As they shortened the event to 18 holes from 36 in 1 day, it will be a bit easier for everyone :).

Guys, your task tomorrow is to remind your kids that par is a really good score out there. My guess is that even par is in a playoff at the very least.

Never played tournament golf or caddied, but after reading the course description, this seems like very sound advice.

OvrB30k.gif

Amazing. Talk about perfect timing to have a playing partner videoing you at just the right time. Good on you for having the good humor to actually post that here.

I did the same thing a few weeks ago at Saddle Rock on the first hole. Dead center drive, second shot right at top of hill, and had 100-110 or so in to the green. Complete hosel rocket with a gap wedge. Great double bogey to start the round :-)

BTW... what course were you playing? Looks like a neat hole.

I blame the pony. It clearly threw off your balance. Would have been a perfect strike, otherwise.

You know, I think you're right. After shooting an ugly 43 on the front 9, followed by a FOUR PUTT double bogey on 10, I went into full "F*** It" mode. Hair down, hat backwards, no practice swings, no reading putts. Then I did this on the 181 yard par 3.

oyYCFbX.gif

Also, no I didn't hire a personal photographer for my round. Playing partner's dad followed our group around taking photos and videos of everyone, sent a good amount to my email account the next morning!

@gmcourtney it was Plum Creek. The worst part about it, I went out and shot a 79 Friday night in a very quick practice round. Followed by my 87 the next day in tournament play. Golf is so crazy sometimes.

ETA just ask pseudoswede how many 115 yard shots I left short the other day. You may have shanked this one, but you're not alone in your wedge follies.

I wasn't going to say it, but if you guys ever need someone in your scramble foursome that can be deadly from 90 (when you need 115), Brian's your guy. :tongue:

Ah... yes, I've played there before. I didn't recognize the first video, but I definitely recognize that par-3... 12 right?

How is Plum Creek these days? I haven't played there in 5 years or so. It' a neat layout, with some cool holes, but the last couple times I was there the conditions were just sooo bad. You used to always be able to find a golfnow deal for like $35 with cart included. For that price, I could overlook a lot; but when they want $70+ for a round, and the facility is still a mess? No thanks. I heard that it sold to a new owner, so was wondering if it's gotten better.

Plum Creek was bought by Bear Dance two (three?) years ago. From what I've read, it sounds like it's in really good shape now. Our golf league is playing there in July.

It was a real shame that the previous owners basically abandoned it. The clubhouse and all of the concrete surrounding it is just embarrassing to look at--especially considering it used to be a TPC facility.

I think the last time I played Plum Creek the course was is pretty good condition and fun to play. The "clubhouse" was meh.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Pretty good advice-back in 2015 this was also held @ Fox Hill. Winner shot 140, the next 2 qualifiers won a playoff @ 143.

Happens everyone bro. At least you're not on nation TV like Poulter.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Plum Creek was bought by Bear Dance two (three?) years ago. From what I've read, it sounds like it's in really good shape now. Our golf league is playing there in July.

It was a real shame that the previous owners basically abandoned it. The clubhouse and all of the concrete surrounding it is just embarrassing to look at--especially considering it used to be a TPC facility.

I remember being pretty shocked the first time I ever went down there, in regards to the conditions of the parking lot, clubhouse, and particularly the driving range. I've hit balls at cow pasture ranges that are in better shape than that...

I think the last time I played Plum Creek the course was is pretty good condition and fun to play. The "clubhouse" was meh.

That's good to hear that the course is getting back in good shape. I noticed in Jacob's videos, there's a little brown around the edges, but the greens appear to look good (from far away at least). I'm fine with a little brown... I don't expect Augusta green in the middle of summer in CO. As long as the greens roll nice, and the fairways are weed free, I'm good :-)

I'll have to make a point to get down there sometime this summer and give it another try. 16-18 is a tough, but cool, stretch of holes.

I wasn't going to say it, but if you guys ever need someone in your scramble foursome that can be deadly from 90 (when you need 115), Brian's your guy. :tongue:

Oh man, that's harsh!

Oh man, that's harsh!

LOL, I think Brian would be a good partner in a 2 man scramble. Our games are bit different, but would compliment each other very well.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]