2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

SuperSpeed Golf training system

Love how you're tracking ball speed. I wish I could do that. I haven't been able to track ball speed with the same level of precision as you, but your results are similar to what what I've seen from myself and others. My SS has gone up about 20-25% with the sticks, but 2-5% with an actual driver.

My latest numbers are attached. Whether its getting back into doing this program more often (after less use this summer), or working out more, my speeds are starting to creep back up. Probably a combination of both. Hopefully I'll be able to reach some new highs soon.

@Swizbeats, don't need you gaining anymore ball speed. Shut the program down.

I have observed that I cannot permit myself to swing as fast with a ball in front of me, as I can without a ball in front of me. I am currently hitting foam balls off a tee with my weighted driver analog I built so I can get more comfortable and confident with taking a full rip. Poor contact while practicing is no fun. I have wrecked several drivers, and its just not nice on the hands and forearms (that shock). I tend to hit the heel severely so that keeps me from really going after it, I don't have that swing dialed in yet.

The fact that you guys are seeing ball speed improvements is a good thing, but I feel like the ultimate goal might be to be able to take a full rip and still hit it flush and on target. Essentially upping your confidence in your swing more and more. I have days where I feel like I can really go at it with everything I have and make great contact, but those days are few and far between for now.

I think you guys can still swing your driver that fast, but ball in front of you and risk of a poor strike keep you from doing it. Maybe try the foam ball thing into a net while you practice your speed training.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

I have observed that I cannot permit myself to swing as fast with a ball in front of me, as I can without a ball in front of me. I am currently hitting foam balls off a tee with my weighted driver analog I built so I can get more comfortable and confident with taking a full rip. Poor contact while practicing is no fun. I have wrecked several drivers, and its just not nice on the hands and forearms (that shock). I tend to hit the heel severely so that keeps me from really going after it, I don't have that swing dialed in yet.

The fact that you guys are seeing ball speed improvements is a good thing, but I feel like the ultimate goal might be to be able to take a full rip and still hit it flush and on target. Essentially upping your confidence in your swing more and more. I have days where I feel like I can really go at it with everything I have and make great contact, but those days are few and far between for now.

I think you guys can still swing your driver that fast, but ball in front of you and risk of a poor strike keep you from doing it. Maybe try the foam ball thing into a net while you practice your speed training.

I play with a couple of the guys posting in here, contact is not an issue. Ball speed increases are directly related to swing speed increased for us.

I do agree with the mental side of it, thats what I was getting at in the second part of my post above. If Tripp is equal to me with the SS sticks but a couple mph faster with driver, its a mental thing on my end of not being comfortable swinging hard enough.

I plan on ripping 5 drivers immediately after the SS workout as soon as it warms up and the range opens. Side not I've gotten access to a big empty room in the basement of my club to do the workout and its awesome not worrying about ceilings or walls.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I played 3 rounds in Florida last week and I can think of at least 3 times per round where I swung all out on the course. I drove a 300 yard par 4 on a smooth swing (downwind). On a couple par 5s I was 80 yards further than where I'm accustomed to being.

I've never hit the ball harder or farther when swinging all out. Fun!

I played 3 rounds in Florida last week and I can think of at least 3 times per round where I swung all out on the course. I drove a 300 yard par 4 on a smooth swing (downwind). On a couple par 5s I was 80 yards further than where I'm accustomed to being.

I've never hit the ball harder or farther when swinging all out. Fun!

That is an awesome feeling isn't it. I have days where I really feel I can give it everything I have and end up making a great smooth swing, with great contact and direction. Ball flight is perfect. Those days are a lot of fun, and make my friend's jaws drop. Then I will fall back into a funk and have no confidence to rip one like that. I have to get out all of my swing measuring tools and try to reconvince myself I can swing as well as I have and it wasn't just a dream.

Lately, I havn't been striking it well on the simulator. I built my driver analog I mentioned in a previous post partially to remind me of what I am capable of.

In regards to how SSR is translating into club speed, I have tracked this. I have a GC2 at home I have recorded all my "testing" sessions. With the testing sessions, they occur after a typical warm up with new pro v1x (2016 version). I try to have them occur on a day I didn't lift. I got SSR for xmas, so I started SSR on 12/27. I have the SSR data at home, but on every exercise, speed is up about 15 mph on avg since starting, most notably standing blue and standing red.

However, while I am seeing that ball speeds and carry distance have moved higher, it's not as much as I would think it should. Avg ball speed is up about 3mph which is only about 2mph of clubhead speed. Max ball speed about 5mph which is only just over 3mph of club speed. Side note, the driver shaft I'm not loving right now and just doesn't feel right, so maybe that lack of comfort is impact as with driver. But who knows.

How does your speed with the sticks stack up to Tripps, check his excel file out. Hes right around there with BS. Thats what Im most curious to see, how does speed with sticks translate to ball speed across different people.

Kneeling mine are a touch faster, standing 2-3mph on all exercises across the board. Step I'm 5-10 slower depending on the exercise. For some reason I have trouble with step and my standing are the same if not faster. On the last three standing swings, I avg 131 last night. His was 6 mph faster.

I notice his driver swing in the last column says 125mph. I've only hit 120 a few times. Even if his driver speed hitting a ball is 10mph slower, with a fairly standard driver smash of say 1.45, his ball speed should be 167ish. I think it was mentioned that it was on skytrak he measured. I would have to think his ball speed is higher than what is being read. He's probably at least around 170 ball speed.

For what it's worth, in the last week I was on a trackman, my GC2 and a different GC2 and avg ball speed on all was 160 or very slightly above.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9* Tensei 1K White 70TX

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x; Diamana OG Whiteboard 73x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400 or SM10 60.04T

Putter: Toulon Garage San Diego/Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Love how you're tracking ball speed. I wish I could do that. I haven't been able to track ball speed with the same level of precision as you, but your results are similar to what what I've seen from myself and others. My SS has gone up about 20-25% with the sticks, but 2-5% with an actual driver.

My latest numbers are attached. Whether its getting back into doing this program more often (after less use this summer), or working out more, my speeds are starting to creep back up. Probably a combination of both. Hopefully I'll be able to reach some new highs soon.

The funny thing is this is just a quick summary report. I actually have a spreadsheet with every swing that you can download from the gc2. True golf nerd.

Given your club speeds during SSR, I would think you're ball speeds are high 160s to 170+ unless your driver has 14* of loft? Haha

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400 or SM10 60.04T

Putter: Toulon Garage San Diego/Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

In regards to how SSR is translating into club speed, I have tracked this. I have a GC2 at home I have recorded all my "testing" sessions. With the testing sessions, they occur after a typical warm up with new pro v1x (2016 version). I try to have them occur on a day I didn't lift. I got SSR for xmas, so I started SSR on 12/27. I have the SSR data at home, but on every exercise, speed is up about 15 mph on avg since starting, most notably standing blue and standing red.

However, while I am seeing that ball speeds and carry distance have moved higher, it's not as much as I would think it should. Avg ball speed is up about 3mph which is only about 2mph of clubhead speed. Max ball speed about 5mph which is only just over 3mph of club speed. Side note, the driver shaft I'm not loving right now and just doesn't feel right, so maybe that lack of comfort is impact as with driver. But who knows.

How does your speed with the sticks stack up to Tripp’s, check his excel file out. He’s right around there with BS. That’s what I’m most curious to see, how does speed with sticks translate to ball speed across different people.

Kneeling mine are a touch faster, standing 2-3mph on all exercises across the board. Step I'm 5-10 slower depending on the exercise. For some reason I have trouble with step and my standing are the same if not faster. On the last three standing swings, I avg 131 last night. His was 6 mph faster.

I notice his driver swing in the last column says 125mph. I've only hit 120 a few times. Even if his driver speed hitting a ball is 10mph slower, with a fairly standard driver smash of say 1.45, his ball speed should be 167ish. I think it was mentioned that it was on skytrak he measured. I would have to think his ball speed is higher than what is being read. He's probably at least around 170 ball speed.

For what it's worth, in the last week I was on a trackman, my GC2 and a different GC2 and avg ball speed on all was 160 or very slightly above.

160 BS = about 110 SS?

The funny thing is this is just a quick summary report. I actually have a spreadsheet with every swing that you can download from the gc2. True golf nerd.

Given your club speeds during SSR, I would think you're ball speeds are high 160s to 170+ unless your driver has 14* of loft? Haha

I’m definitely not swinging it 120+. My SSR is 10 mph fast at least, but it’s at least consistent. I’m also swinging out of my shoes with no ball or regard for contact on those. When i started this last winter and hadn’t discovered that the SSR was fast, i had visions of all of a sudden being DJ. That was a tough blow from an expectations game!

Fastest I’ve gotten on trackman is 114. I’ve mostly lived around 105-110 when I’m inside on a sim. I do think I’m one of those players that brings a bit extra when out on the course. During a fitting day at my club i was 112 after a round on the range, and when I did Arcoss for a bit and it says my smart distance last summer was 285-310. 115 consistently is my goal.

How does your speed with the sticks stack up to Tripp’s, check his excel file out. He’s right around there with BS. That’s what I’m most curious to see, how does speed with sticks translate to ball speed across different people.

160 BS = about 110 SS?

Correct.

I’m definitely not swinging it 120+. My SSR is 10 mph fast at least, but it’s at least consistent. I’m also swinging out of my shoes with no ball or regard for contact on those. When i started this last winter and hadn’t discovered that the SSR was fast, i had visions of all of a sudden being DJ. That was a tough blow from an expectations game!

Fastest I’ve gotten on trackman is 114. I’ve mostly lived around 105-110 when I’m inside on a sim. I do think I’m one of those players that brings a bit extra when out on the course. During a fitting day at my club i was 112 after a round on the range, and when I did Arcoss for a bit and it says my smart distance last summer was 285-310. 115 consistently is my goal.

That makes more sense then. I know the SSR are typically a few mph fas but isn't realize they could around 10. Sometimes what I do is put the SSR up and GC2 at the same time to measure the same swing. Lately I've been getting 113-116 on SSR for the ball speeds posted earlier. So if you discount that 3-4, I'm back down to 110-112 ish which is be about right.

Like you Tripp, I'd like to get to 115 or near 170 ball speed. Problem is, despite the working out and training, at 39, Father Time isn't as cooperative. Haha

I really think SSR is more accurate than you think but just not with your club. Those numbers you see for your RED speed club should be what you can roughly expect is your all out driver in real life (unless your driver is a lot shorter or longer). Problem is, you put a ball in front of you, you generally aren't going to swing out of your shoes. Even if you think you are, you aren't. Difference between us and long drive pro's and pro's like DJ and such, is that they have such a sound swing, and practice so much that they are able to put much more of their actual max into their gamer swing and still hit it well.

I have always been a firm believe that everyone has that 115+ swing speed in them. We have the muscle, its just training it to swing fast which is what this system does primarily I think. My max without a ball is currently 133, and that is with my weighted club that has nearly identical specs to my actual driver as far as weight and length are concerned. I have documented swing speed on Trackman of 125 and ball speeds of 185. I can nearly give it my all and make great contact when I am feeling confident in my swing. But I have also been going to the range for years and practicing swinging with everything I have and still hitting the ball well.

In order for me to get over the mental block of not using that last 8 or so MPH, I am practicing hitting a foam ball with my weighted driver while using SSR so I can get brave enough and get the feel for what it is to swing with all I have with a ball sitting there. If I can hit that square consitently with that little weight on the end of my driver shaft, then I will graduate to practicing again with my actual driver to work on ball striking. I will likely have to bounce back and forth with that drill thought to improve and maintain.

I really think SSR is more accurate than you think but just not with your club. Those numbers you see for your RED speed club should be what you can roughly expect is your all out driver in real life (unless your driver is a lot shorter or longer). Problem is, you put a ball in front of you, you generally aren't going to swing out of your shoes. Even if you think you are, you aren't. Difference between us and long drive pro's and pro's like DJ and such, is that they have such a sound swing, and practice so much that they are able to put much more of their actual max into their gamer swing and still hit it well.

I have always been a firm believe that everyone has that 115+ swing speed in them. We have the muscle, its just training it to swing fast which is what this system does primarily I think. My max without a ball is currently 133, and that is with my weighted club that has nearly identical specs to my actual driver as far as weight and length are concerned. I have documented swing speed on Trackman of 125 and ball speeds of 185. I can nearly give it my all and make great contact when I am feeling confident in my swing. But I have also been going to the range for years and practicing swinging with everything I have and still hitting the ball well.

In order for me to get over the mental block of not using that last 8 or so MPH, I am practicing hitting a foam ball with my weighted driver while using SSR so I can get brave enough and get the feel for what it is to swing with all I have with a ball sitting there. If I can hit that square consitently with that little weight on the end of my driver shaft, then I will graduate to practicing again with my actual driver to work on ball striking. I will likely have to bounce back and forth with that drill thought to improve and maintain.

It's funny you say that. I was thinking that since the red is heavier than my driver by a few grams and about 6 sw points, I should be able to swing my driver faster. However, there is some drag effect with the 460cc driver head. It's funny, when I swing it without a ball, it feels/sounds like one of those fan training clubs compared to SSG clubs. Plus, with my driver and hitting a ball, knowing solid contact is crucial for top ball speed, i don't swing as hard. I try to swing fast with driver but not all out like we're supposed to do with SSG. Perhaps it's a mental block like you say. For how many years have instructors told me I'm swinging too hard and hips are too fast and all that has done is make me think about being slow and not clearing as well. The instruction should have been to train to be strong and stable so you can be balanced to support the fast swing. Not just stop swinging fast.

I have more encouraging news to deliver for those who have been struggling with being plateau'd.

Last night, I broke 7 records out of 21 swings; my initial driver swing and final driver swing. I think the biggest achievements were the regular dominant side swing and the step-change dominant side swing with green club. These are the areas where some of us had major plateau issue. I am sure I will hit plateau once again in the same area or others.

I would like to share few changes from past two sessions (2/8 & 2/10) were:

• I widen my stance at least an inch by moving right foot away from ball.
  • I rotate my core max and widen my backswing
  • I breath out to relax arms and shoulder at top
  • I rotate my core to initiate the downswing

Since God creates us all individually and differently, my changes may not work for you but I hope that they could be helpful.

Just curious but what device are you measuring speed with that gives you decimal precision? Its not SSR unless those are averages. Might be a stupid question, I'm too lazy to read past entries to find out.

It's funny you say that. I was thinking that since the red is heavier than my driver by a few grams and about 6 sw points, I should be able to swing my driver faster. However, there is some drag effect with the 460cc driver head. It's funny, when I swing it without a ball, it feels/sounds like one of those fan training clubs compared to SSG clubs. Plus, with my driver and hitting a ball, knowing solid contact is crucial for top ball speed, i don't swing as hard. I try to swing fast with driver but not all out like we're supposed to do with SSG. Perhaps it's a mental block like you say. For how many years have instructors told me I'm swinging too hard and hips are too fast and all that has done is make me think about being slow and not clearing as well. The instruction should have been to train to be strong and stable so you can be balanced to support the fast swing. Not just stop swinging fast.

I think you will find that many of the longest hitters on tour were told at one time in their life to swing as fast as you can and learn to control it. I went from 105, to 112, to 121, to now 125 (all trackman sessions), over the past few years just from hitting tons of balls hard as I can. I embarassed myself plenty at the range, but I didn't care at all. Now, I usually embarass the meat heads that go there on occaision and think they are uber fast when I get out my driver. A great day at the range and I can work the ball left and right and go after one and crush it. I have to go late in the day because there is a fairway at the end of the range and the hill their means someone I can't see could die and I don't need that to happen lol.

If you start cracking driver heads when you mis hit one off the toe or heal, or cave the crown in on a hit (not skied), then you know you are swinging nearer to 120+ in my experience.

I forgot to add what I think about the drag of the club. I am guessing you lose 2-3 mph going from the Red club to the driver, but if you driver is much lighter it could be a wash. Its hard to say just how much air resistance plays a role....I suppose I could attempt to figure it out using science and maths! We shall see how bored I am this weekend.

I think you will find that many of the longest hitters on tour were told at one time in their life to swing as fast as you can and learn to control it. I went from 105, to 112, to 121, to now 125 (all trackman sessions), over the past few years just from hitting tons of balls hard as I can. I embarassed myself plenty at the range, but I didn't care at all. Now, I usually embarass the meat heads that go there on occaision and think they are uber fast when I get out my driver. A great day at the range and I can work the ball left and right and go after one and crush it. I have to go late in the day because there is a fairway at the end of the range and the hill their means someone I can't see could die and I don't need that to happen lol.

If you start cracking driver heads when you mis hit one off the toe or heal, or cave the crown in on a hit (not skied), then you know you are swinging nearer to 120+ in my experience.

I forgot to add what I think about the drag of the club. I am guessing you lose 2-3 mph going from the Red club to the driver, but if you driver is much lighter it could be a wash. Its hard to say just how much air resistance plays a role....I suppose I could attempt to figure it out using science and maths! We shall see how bored I am this weekend.

I want to play golf with you!

I want to play golf with you!

Not right now you don't, I thought it would be a good idea to try a rediculously strong grip position. My swing is ruined at the moment. Fast as hell, but garbage ball striking wise lol. I already had to throw away my last spare R9 Superdeep driver, loved that thing. One hit off the toe and its junk.

160 BS = about 110 SS?

Correct.

I’m ~160 with 108 SS and 1.5 smash. That’s current, I was 155-158 tops and ~153 over the winter which is promising that I’m seeing 160 right now.

I have more encouraging news to deliver for those who have been struggling with being plateau'd.

Last night, I broke 7 records out of 21 swings; my initial driver swing and final driver swing. I think the biggest achievements were the regular dominant side swing and the step-change dominant side swing with green club. These are the areas where some of us had major plateau issue. I am sure I will hit plateau once again in the same area or others.

I would like to share few changes from past two sessions (2/8 & 2/10) were:

• I widen my stance at least an inch by moving right foot away from ball.
  • I rotate my core max and widen my backswing
  • I breath out to relax arms and shoulder at top
  • I rotate my core to initiate the downswing

Since God creates us all individually and differently, my changes may not work for you but I hope that they could be helpful.

Just curious but what device are you measuring speed with that gives you decimal precision? Its not SSR unless those are averages. Might be a stupid question, I'm too lazy to read past entries to find out.

Decimals are from the average of 5 swings.

I'm ~160 with 108 SS and 1.5 smash. That's current, I was 155-158 tops and ~153 over the winter which is promising that I'm seeing 160 right now.

Then it is good baseline to remember. So would 160 BS/110 SS yield about 280 - 290 yds?

Assuming a smash of ~1.45 you'd see a ball speed of 160 and probably 270-275 yards of carry with 10-15* launch angle and 2000-3000 RPM spin. +1.45 is definitely achievable however.

I'm ~160 with 108 SS and 1.5 smash. That's current, I was 155-158 tops and ~153 over the winter which is promising that I'm seeing 160 right now.

Then it is good baseline to remember. So would 160 BS/110 SS yield about 280 - 290 yds?

Assuming a smash of ~1.45 you'd see a ball speed of 160 and probably 270-275 yards of carry with 10-15* launch angle and 2000-3000 RPM spin. +1.45 is definitely achievable however.

I drive 275 yds with about 105 SS from SSR. So I assume 290 yds is achievable with 110 SS.

That’s as high as you’d see with 1.5 smash

So if you watch Tyler Parson's, he does a routine that includes his all out red stick swings in the first video, and in the second video which wasn't taken too long after he posted the first one (so I assume its relevant) he swings a standard length driver. The speeds he swings with the red stick are almost the same as the speeds for his driver. So I doubt drag is all that big of a contributer.

Swings red stick at 8:07.

Standard length driver swings at 11 minutes.

A lot depends on launch/spin. One on GC2 I saw 160 ball speed, 15.9 launch and 1829 spin which yield a 293 carry (definite outlier for me). Conversely, two swings later I had 163 ball speed, 14.4 launch and 3076 spin which carried 273. So with 3mph more ball speed which should be 5 yards more carry all else equal, it was 20 yards less carry. Plus, with 1000rpm more spin, it won't roll as much either. There will be 25-30 yards difference between those two drives. That's why there are so many ho's like me going through dozens of shaft and heads on wrx because even with the speed, if you can dial in the speed launch spin, it could be huge.

So if you watch Tyler Parson's, he does a routine that includes his all out red stick swings in the first video, and in the second video which wasn't taken too long after he posted the first one (so I assume its relevant) he swings a standard length driver. The speeds he swings with the red stick are almost the same as the speeds for his driver. So I doubt drag is all that big of a contributer.

Swings red stick at 8:07.

Standard length driver swings at 11 minutes.

I'll have to try it.

A lot depends on launch/spin. One on GC2 I saw 160 ball speed, 15.9 launch and 1829 spin which yield a 293 carry (definite outlier for me). Conversely, two swings later I had 163 ball speed, 14.4 launch and 3076 spin which carried 273. So with 3mph more ball speed which should be 5 yards more carry all else equal, it was 20 yards less carry. Plus, with 1000rpm more spin, it won't roll as much either. There will be 25-30 yards difference between those two drives. That's why there are so many ho's like me going through dozens of shaft and heads on wrx because even with the speed, if you can dial in the speed launch spin, it could be huge.

at least you are a ho with a look that kills (low hcp). I am a wanna-be ho with fugly look (high hcp). Perhaps a mother goose. LOL

Thats as high as youd see with 1.5 smash

No. 1.5 x 110 = 165 ball speed. Definitely would push out your carry with most flight algos.