2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

SuperSpeed Golf training system

Last post about SSR I promise lol. So I am pretty confident I figured out what is going on regarding my high speed numbers with my home made heavy club. So other day while swinging at a foam ball I was able to get it to consecutively read in the 130s. Today I broke out my driver and swing caddie to see if it agreed that my speed numbers were way up. It did not.

I decided to swing my weighted club again with two SSRs and my voice caddie down. I swung at a rubber tee (voice caddie picks up rubber tee being struck so I can check swing speed with that as well as my SSRs). I positioned thw voice caddie directly behind, and one SSR in recommended position and one a foot towards my back foot. The lead SSR consistently showed 130s, while the rear one and the voice caddie showed low 120s,topping out at 125 on the voice caddie.

What I am pretty sure is happening is my inside out swing gets SEVERELY inside out when I swing rediculously hard. The head of the weighted club drops inside and I swing at like a 9 degree in to out path. The head of it then violently jerks back to the left as I reach the bottom of my release arch. The front SSR is reading this jerk to the left and is thus giving me false numbers.

For most, this shouldn't be an issue with the weighted clubs but if you ding numbers all close to each other and then have 1 or 2 suddenly much higher, those could likely be related to this issue.

Move the SSR back behind the bottom of your release arch if you want to avoid this issue for almost certain (at least that is working for me).

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Move the SSR back behind the bottom of your release arch if you want to avoid this issue for almost certain (at least that is working for me).

Very cool analysis! The Voice Caddie is reputed to slightly overstate swing (and thus understate smash) so I guess it makes sense that it measured a little lower than the rear SSR.

You guys are turning even the measurement of this into a science!

Very cool analysis! The Voice Caddie is reputed to slightly overstate swing (and thus understate smash) so I guess it makes sense that it measured a little lower than the rear SSR.

It can overstate swing speed but I was swinging the weighted club for this test, so it should have been very close (other than whatever internal error it can have). The rear SSR and the Swing Caddie (I keep calling it Voice Caddie) actually agreed very closely more often than not. So one might say 121, the other 122 etc etc.

That's what enginerds do!

I am definitely an enginerd!

I just can't stand misinformation (even though at times I am guilty of spreading it by accident). These SSR things have drove me nuts for years. I actually feel like I have some closure now lol. I just had to clear the air so others like myself wouldn't get these amazing numbers coming up and giving them false hope that they reached their goals. Im a realist, I don't like fake unreliable crap when it comes to things I want to measure.

I am definitely and enginerd!

I just can't stand misinformation (even though at times I am guilty of spreading it by accident). These SSR things have drove me nuts for years. I actually feel like I have some closure now lol. I just had to clear the air so others like myself wouldn't get these amazing numbers coming up and giving them false hope that they reached their goals. Im a realist, I don't like fake unreliable crap when it comes to things I want to measure.

I completely agree with your way of thinking. BTW, the enginerd thing is a compliment, which I hope you took as such. I've been following this thread for a bit as I do similar training for softball, and will eventually try the golf swings. Only recently did I get a SSR and the numbers seem to jump around quite a bit swinging a bat. I can't find that perfect distance / angle to get consistent readings. Similar to your toe reading theory, I think sometimes the SSR reads the speed of the endcap, and others it's reading the barrel or sweetspot.

I am definitely and enginerd!

I completely agree with your way of thinking. BTW, the enginerd thing is a compliment, which I hope you took as such. I've been following this thread for a bit as I do similar training for softball, and will eventually try the golf swings. Only recently did I get a SSR and the numbers seem to jump around quite a bit swinging a bat. I can't find that perfect distance / angle to get consistent readings. Similar to your toe reading theory, I think sometimes the SSR reads the speed of the endcap, and others it's reading the barrel or sweetspot.

I took it as a compliment, even if it wasn't I would have lol. Yeah, SSR is a great tool but the company that makes them fails to give much direction on reading it correctly. For years I thought it was accurate but I was confused by low ball speed numbers. I have known for a long time that it read toe speed, and given that I like to experiment with my swing, I may or may not close that toe faster or slower thus giving me unreliable numbers regarding actual swing speed or even improvement. The weighted clubs gave me an AHAH! moment. No toe to pitch through, small round metallic object is easy to pick up, surely it has to read this correctly. Yet again, I find it doesn't (at least not for my type of swing when I really go at it). Its just frustrating. My goal is 130 with the driver and to think you have it, then get conflicting results, but then think you have it again, but then find out you still don't, drives me bonkers. Trackman doesn't lie, nor does the ball speed with swing caddie or skytrak, but its still easier to setup an SSR and get instant results vs the other options.

I’ve been using the system for about 6 weeks now and have seen my numbers go up with my driver at least 8 Mph (couple of swings yesterday were 111 mph I’m usually in the mid nineties) So I decided to get a set of resistance bands to see if this helps even more. The company I got the bands from gives you a free limited time membership to a workout site. There are a lot of different workout routines. They have workouts for golf which are mostly core exercises so far. Should I do these or treat the bands like weights and cable machines and do full body workouts? Does anyone think this could hurt my swing speed? BTW I am 65 yrs old.

When you were starting out, did anybody else notice that swinging the opposite way produced a bit of soreness in their back from muscle confusion? I'm two workouts into the introductory protocol, and just have a little tightness half-way up my back on the left side.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I’ve been using the system for about 6 weeks now and have seen my numbers go up with my driver at least 8 Mph (couple of swings yesterday were 111 mph I’m usually in the mid nineties) So I decided to get a set of resistance bands to see if this helps even more. The company I got the bands from gives you a free limited time membership to a workout site. There are a lot of different workout routines. They have workouts for golf which are mostly core exercises so far. Should I do these or treat the bands like weights and cable machines and do full body workouts? Does anyone think this could hurt my swing speed? BTW I am 65 yrs old.

The swing exercises I do are core oriented. They are great for SSG program.

Previously stated, I was able to overcome ss plateau which you will experience sooner or later. Now I am swinging 140's mph swingspeed with green and blue clubs.

When you were starting out, did anybody else notice that swinging the opposite way produced a bit of soreness in their back from muscle confusion? I'm two workouts into the introductory protocol, and just have a little tightness half-way up my back on the left side.

Have you done pre-session stretch?

Have you done pre-session stretch?

Yes.

Then I suggest you take a rest a bit and add golf swing exercise in your routine. It will strengthen your lower body and core at least. I started SSG months after my workout routine. I thought my body was ready for SSG sessions but I was not. I ended up adding golf swing exercise in my routine. Even then, I had to take a break here and there due to soreness.

Wellness should be the priority before SSG.

I've been following this thread and participated in it (about nine months ago). I feel like some of us are watching the wrong thing. There is a great tendency for us to measure progress by tracking our swing speeds with the SSG sticks. While that is somewhat helpful, I think it's important to remember that we are after higher swing speeds with a driver hitting a real ball. I would encourage everyone to include some "live" hitting sessions in front of a SSR to measure progress, rather than focusing on how fast we swing the green stick, red stick etc.

IMO there is a very real danger in searching for SSG swing hacks that increase our speed with the SSG sticks, but don't allow us to transfer that speed to actual hitting situations. This happened to me, and has led me to pursue a slightly different path to gaining speed. Bottom line: you need to learn how to delivery a faster club head speed squarely to the ball, and that requires live hitting practice (at least it does for me).

This, of course, is just one dude's opinion.

I've been following this thread and participated in it (about nine months ago). I feel like some of us are watching the wrong thing. There is a great tendency for us to measure progress by tracking our swing speeds with the SSG sticks. While that is somewhat helpful, I think it's important to remember that we are after higher swing speeds with a driver hitting a real ball. I would encourage everyone to include some "live" hitting sessions in front of a SSR to measure progress, rather than focusing on how fast we swing the green stick, red stick etc.

IMO there is a very real danger in searching for SSG swing hacks that increase our speed with the SSG sticks, but don't allow us to transfer that speed to actual hitting situations. This happened to me, and has led me to pursue a slightly different path to gaining speed. Bottom line: you need to learn how to delivery a faster club head speed squarely to the ball, and that requires live hitting practice (at least it does for me).

This, of course, is just one dude's opinion.

I totally agree with you. SSG should be considered as exercise routine to strengthen/condition your body to hit faster. It will not be the "righteous" path for correct ball strike.

I am on week 3 of training. My ss is about 98 before the training and goes up to 104mph after training. I was able to hit 285yds when I only hit 265yds before I did the training session. My green stick speed was 112, which was the slowest day since I started training.

Nike [color=#0000CD] Vapor Fly Pro Limited [/color]driver 9.5* Whiteboard 70g X-stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Flex [/color]3 wood 15* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor[/color] [color=#99FF00]Flex [/color]5 wood 19* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Pro[/color] 3-PW S300 / Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW X-100 
Nike Engage wedge 52* Square
Nike Engage wedge 58* Toesweep
Nike [color=#0000CD]Origin B1-01 [/color][color=#000000]35"[/color] Putter with TW Proto Grip
Nike 2016 Platinum Cart Bag
IG airbong23

Would the Swing Caddie SC100 work instead of the Swing Speed Radar? In Australia the SSR ends up being very expensive (>$200), but I can pickup a SC100 for $75.

I find if you strike a rubber tee with your ssg clubs, the swing caddie will pick up its speed. It won't pick it up if you don't hit something with it.

There really needs to be a reliable device that reads swing and ball speed within a reasonable accuracy

Agreed. I have been racking my brain for years trying to think of a reliable and accurate way to measure peak swing speed. I want to know what I peak at and if that peak is happening at the ball or well before it.

I have found the on club sensors to be an absolute joke. Garbage. Ball speed doesn't tell you if you are dumping speed. Ssr is a joke, swing caddie is hit or miss (tonight is was crap again for me), high speed video able to capture swing speed accurately isn't affordable, i could go on and on. Its a real sore spot for me.

Edit: I should say that Mevo is an affordable solution, but like swing caddie it has its issues. Unless it measures swing speed like Trackman or a full on Flightscope does, its worthless to me. I desire an extremely light, on clubhead sensor that maps your clubhead movement through space. It would be like a sticker that you place on the back of the clubhead and it would map your swing on smart phone kind of like the crappy on shaft sensors do today. It would plot position vs time extremely accurately and with that and simple calculus, the velocity and even acceleration should be easily and accurately derived.

Couple of interesting updates.

I haven’t been able to do the training much lately, but since I’ve been doing this for about a year, i figure I’m in maintainable mode. I was pleasantly surprised this weekend that in doing the training i set new highs by a few MPH on all colors.

I attribute that to a few things. First and most obviously I’ve been working out more than I have in a long time the 3-4 months. Mostly Barry’s boot camp type stuff, but I’ve also sprinkled in some Pilates. The combo of legs and abs on that, as un masculine as i feel in those classes, i swear the benefits are huge.

The second thing comes from a small swing change. I noticed in a video that i was trying to create so much length that i was basically coming out of my swing on takeaway. I’ve tried to feel more compact and athletic on takeaway, and that’s helped.

On trackman, I’m pretty much where I hoped I’d be. Minimum SS is basically 108, balls speeds all above 160 touching high 160s when i get it. I was mid to high 150s before doing this.

On the SS radar, I’m still getting hot readings with the driver. On the picture below I had the SSR so angled away from the ball that i thought it might not even get the club. I borrowed a friends and it was more accurate. So, i guess my conclusion is that I’ve got a hot SSR.

I haven’t been able to do the training much lately, but since I’ve been doing this for about a year, i figure I’m in maintainable mode. I was pleasantly surprised this weekend that in doing the training i set new highs by a few MPH on all colors.

I attribute that to a few things. First and most obviously I’ve been working out more than I have in a long time the 3-4 months. Mostly Barry’s boot camp type stuff, but I’ve also sprinkled in some Pilates. The combo of legs and abs on that, as un masculine as i feel in those classes, i swear the benefits are huge.

The second thing comes from a small swing change. I noticed in a video that i was trying to create so much length that i was basically coming out of my swing on takeaway. I’ve tried to feel more compact and athletic on takeaway, and that’s helped.

On trackman, I’m pretty much where I hoped I’d be. Minimum SS is basically 108, balls speeds all above 160 touching high 160s when i get it. I was mid to high 150s before doing this.

On the SS radar, I’m still getting hot readings with the driver. On the picture below I had the SSR so angled away from the ball that i thought it might not even get the club. I borrowed a friends and it was more accurate. So, i guess my conclusion is that I’ve got a hot SSR.

you are pulling nice stat. 1.5 smash factor, low spin rate. you must be hitting balls at the right spot on club face. WELL DONE.

Imagine you pull up your average SS to 115ish?

I know some of you follow Top Speed on youtube, but I want to share this series of videos (125 mph SS) for those who are not familiar with Top Speed. Top Speed videos help me develop better & efficient swing.

There are many more videos to watch. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTDbpaACf7Wx9B71FgZuLK0cg_7QFgZKX

you are pulling nice stat. 1.5 smash factor, low spin rate. you must be hitting balls at the right spot on club face. WELL DONE.

Thank you! Was pretty happy with how great my numbers were coming out of winter.

115 would be the dream!

Thank you! Was pretty happy with how great my numbers were coming out of winter.

115 would be the dream!

Great improvements. I am not an owner of this system (not exactly) but I am a big fan of what it is trying to accomplish. I am glad to see it working for you. Keep at it, I smell 115 with ease in your not so distant future.

I have to admit that I haven't done SSG session for a while (12 days). Somehow I drove myself to do it last night. The result was what I expected. Some slow down in SS. The slow down ranges from 0 to 14 mph.

On brighter side, I compare my current SS to the first day (late November); 20 - 25 mph increase in SS (dominant side alone)

I hope that my improvement encourages all of you.

This is the start of my third week in protocol one. Actually, I started with protocol one. Anyway, I have not begun charting because I am still feeling the process out, however, I have a confession to make..... my swing is actually faster left handed, with every weight, on every swing except on the kneeling sets and to top it off, it requires seemingly less effort as well. Where in the world do I go from here lol....... anybody else experience this phenomena???

For the record using the SSR, my final "controlled" swing of the day (right handed) with the green on the last set measured 131 I believe. I also take a few right handed driver swings at the end of sessions and hit 115 today.

WITB 2019 Driver: TaylorMade 2016 M2 10.5* 3W: TaylorMade 2017 M1 15* 3 iron: Titleist 718 T-MB 20* 4-P: Titleist 718 CB 52* Titleist TVD Mgrind 58* Titleist TVD Mgrind

This is the start of my third week in protocol one. Actually, I started with protocol one. Anyway, I have not begun charting because I am still feeling the process out, however, I have a confession to make..... my swing is actually faster left handed, with every weight, on every swing except on the kneeling sets and to top it off, it requires seemingly less effort as well. Where in the world do I go from here lol....... anybody else experience this phenomena???

For the record using the SSR, my final "controlled" swing of the day (right handed) with the green on the last set measured 131 I believe. I also take a few right handed driver swings at the end of sessions and hit 115 today.

Soon you will see your driver SS in 130s. Now I could swing driver in high 100s and low 110s comfortably.

I did my week 4 day 1 training last night. My non dominant side swing speed was as good as my dominant side. I was getting 110mph for both sides. Fastest green was 118 yesterday, driver ss was up to 107mph. I guess it's slowly getting faster.

Nike [color=#0000CD] Vapor Fly Pro Limited [/color]driver 9.5* Whiteboard 70g X-stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Flex [/color]3 wood 15* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor[/color] [color=#99FF00]Flex [/color]5 wood 19* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Pro[/color] 3-PW S300 / Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW X-100 
Nike Engage wedge 52* Square
Nike Engage wedge 58* Toesweep
Nike [color=#0000CD]Origin B1-01 [/color][color=#000000]35"[/color] Putter with TW Proto Grip
Nike 2016 Platinum Cart Bag
IG airbong23