My left swings are:

Green started at 95 and now 104

Blue started at 93 and now 103

Red started at 86 and now 106

Driver without a ball was 108 and stil is 108

Driver with a ball was 97 and now is 99

So it is getting better.

how about average?

I've gone back to a speed workout that involves only hitting balls in front of an SSR:

Golf Speed Training

(all numbers are with my gamer hitting balls)

3/23: Start/Finish: 93/98

3/24: 95/100

3/29: 97/101 (after major CrossFit ab-centered workout. I probably should have waited a couple days, but I didn't want to go too long without doing it)

I've gone back to a speed workout that involves only hitting balls in front of an SSR:

Golf Speed Training

3/29: 97/101 (after major CrossFit ab-centered workout. I probably should have waited a couple days, but I didn't want to go too long without doing it)

dang, brother, take it easy. your body needs rest. als, my buddy ruptured his back while on CrossFit. I told him to stretch but he didn't listen. I hope you do plenty of stretch cuz your body sure needs it.

now that you broke 100, show me your 105 and 110 soon.

Golf Speed Training

dang, brother, take it easy. your body needs rest. als, my buddy ruptured his back while on CrossFit. I told him to stretch but he didn't listen. I hope you do plenty of stretch cuz your body sure needs it.

My CrossFit place (I hate calling it a box) is all over safety. There is a bunch of CF stuff they won't do (box jumps for example), and if you are using bad form on your lifts, they will stop you and insist you lower your weight and work on technique.

That said, I have learned that these workouts are very taxing and that rest is important.

Last time I did this swing speed workout, I gained 14 mph. But it faded away when I stopped working out. The SSG guys say it takes 6 months to make the gains permanent, and I didn't give it close to that.

I think just swinging a driver really hard at the ball a couple times a week is a big help. The best thing about hitting really balls is that you learn how to swing fast while hitting the ball solidly.

Golf Speed Training

My CrossFit place (I hate calling it a box) is all over safety. There is a bunch of CF stuff they won't do (box jumps for example), and if you are using bad form on your lifts, they will stop you and insist you lower your weight and work on technique.

That said, I have learned that these workouts are very taxing and that rest is important.

Last time I did this swing speed workout, I gained 14 mph. But it faded away when I stopped working out. The SSG guys say it takes 6 months to make the gains permanent, and I didn't give it close to that.

I think just swinging a driver really hard at the ball a couple times a week is a big help. The best thing about hitting really balls is that you learn how to swing fast while hitting the ball solidly.

Absolutely,there is no replacement for actually swinging your actual club at a ball. Benefit I find for the ssg clubs is that they can show you speed you could have if you find a way to marry your body's maximum speed with good contact. Most of us have mental blocking or technique limitations that prevent us from reaching a whole other level. Ssg clubs are good though for triggering and training your muscles to fire faster.

Also, swinging fast requires maintenance, meaning you have to swing in the off season if you want to have it day one in the spring.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

FWIW I'm about 10 mph slower with non dominant side. Its hilarious how slow those were when I started. I'm down to twice a week with golf season around the corner and it seems to still be working, setting some personal highs with the green stick lately.

I agree with you on those lefty swings. I've been playing for well over 25 yrs and I could probably count the number of lefty swings I've taken total on my left hand. Opened up an entirely new dimension within a few short weeks but whenever I started I'm surprised they even registered on radar.

WITB 2019 Driver: TaylorMade 2016 M2 10.5* 3W: TaylorMade 2017 M1 15* 3 iron: Titleist 718 T-MB 20* 4-P: Titleist 718 CB 52* Titleist TVD Mgrind 58* Titleist TVD Mgrind

Golf Speed Training

Out of all the exercises done during CF they say box jumps are too dangerous?

My update :

I am now 3 weeks in the program and these are my fastest swings

Green 112 (was after 2 weeks 110)

Blue 110 (was 104)

Red 101 (was 98)

My left swings are:

So it is getting better.

how about average?

My update :

I am now 3 weeks in the program and these are my fastest swings

Green 112 (was after 2 weeks 110)

Blue 110 (was 104)

Red 101 (was 98)

My left swings are:

So it is getting better.

how about average?

Average green is 108

Average blue is 104

Average red is 98

I've been using the sticks for a couple of weeks, having done 5 workouts. I had my best results during session 3, had a bit of a setback during session 4, but then did a little better during my most recent session.

For what it's worth, today I went out with just my driver, a tee, and my SSR. I swung at the tee for about half an hour or so (maybe more), with a few small breaks. I started off in the high 86-93mph range, but by the end of the session I was easily hitting 97 (even on swings that didn't feel good), and a topped 100 a few times, with my max hitting 1107mph.

I'm not sure if this can be attributed to the superspeed workouts, or if I simply loosened up and made some adjustments since I was getting instant feedback. For all I know, I could have had identical results prior to starting my workouts, but who knows.

The main thing is how I will do on the course. If I get up to 107mph on the course but top the ball, or hit it OB, you can be certain that my next swing will be more conservative. My next step will be to take the SSR to the range to see if I can maintain the 100+mph swings while making solid contact.

Golf Speed Training

Out of all the exercises done during CF they say box jumps are too dangerous?

Kindly reread my post and compare your characterization to what I said. Thanks.

I've been using the sticks for a couple of weeks, having done 5 workouts. I had my best results during session 3, had a bit of a setback during session 4, but then did a little better during my most recent session.

For what it's worth, today I went out with just my driver, a tee, and my SSR. I swung at the tee for about half an hour or so (maybe more), with a few small breaks. I started off in the high 86-93mph range, but by the end of the session I was easily hitting 97 (even on swings that didn't feel good), and a topped 100 a few times, with my max hitting 1107mph.

I'm not sure if this can be attributed to the superspeed workouts, or if I simply loosened up and made some adjustments since I was getting instant feedback. For all I know, I could have had identical results prior to starting my workouts, but who knows.

The main thing is how I will do on the course. If I get up to 107mph on the course but top the ball, or hit it OB, you can be certain that my next swing will be more conservative. My next step will be to take the SSR to the range to see if I can maintain the 100+mph swings while making solid contact.

Clay from Top Speed said the same. videos from few years ago, his goal was to hit 125 mph in 30 days; (his average ss was around 110). He did it at 125 but he said at such speed he was spraying. So he slowed it down to 118 and he continues to swing at such speed nowadays.

Therefore, many has the same issue; How fast and accurately can I swing on course? From my experience, you just gotta practice and practice to sync well.

So after a few workouts, I finally hit balls at the range today and brought my SSR. I don't have "before" range numbers with the SSR, but I do have trackman results from right before I started my workouts (from an indoor simulator). My driver averages on the trackman were:

91.8mph club head speed

135.8mph ball speed

Smash factor of 1.48 (I'm guessing my swing speed may have been a touch higher and my actual smash a bit lower, but regardless, those were the numbers)

Avg Carry 220 yards

Average total distance 248 yards.

On the range today, I was consistently in the 97-102mph range for swing speed. A few shots registered at 145mph, which was likely my ball speed.

That being said, my distances were less than expected. It's a nice, but cool, day here in NY, about 50-55 degrees, and I was hitting into a slight breeze (but downhill). This distances that I'm about to provide are all with "real" balls, not range balls. Most shots that I hit with a slightly open face barely went 200. I hit 100mph SS one one, and the ball went around 200. My max drive was about 250/255, even though I had plenty of 100mph+ readings on the SSR.

Does this make sense? Or should I not believe the SSR numbers?

Does anyone else get higher SSR numbers when hitting an actual ball, versus swinging a driver at no ball? I struggle to consistently top 90mph with a driver and no ball, but easily top 95 when hitting a ball.

Someone commented that speed typically drops 10mph when hitting an actual ball, but I'm seeing he opposite. Anyone else?

I took SSR to the field today. I was getting 104mph and hitting up to 108mph. Avg carry was about 260-270yds today. I even bombed one 302yds. I guess the training is definitely working. I even had 120mph when I snap hooked one lol

Nike [color=#0000CD] Vapor Fly Pro Limited [/color]driver 9.5* Whiteboard 70g X-stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Flex [/color]3 wood 15* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor[/color] [color=#99FF00]Flex [/color]5 wood 19* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Pro[/color] 3-PW S300 / Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW X-100 
Nike Engage wedge 52* Square
Nike Engage wedge 58* Toesweep
Nike [color=#0000CD]Origin B1-01 [/color][color=#000000]35"[/color] Putter with TW Proto Grip
Nike 2016 Platinum Cart Bag
IG airbong23

Does anyone else get higher SSR numbers when hitting an actual ball, versus swinging a driver at no ball? I struggle to consistently top 90mph with a driver and no ball, but easily top 95 when hitting a ball.

Someone commented that speed typically drops 10mph when hitting an actual ball, but I'm seeing he opposite. Anyone else?

Same here.

Week 4 starts today! Fresh batteries in the SSR and a solid weekend off of physical activity has me chomping at the bit. Going to start charting today as well.... Only downer in my day was seeing the snow on the ground when I woke up. Stupid stupid PA weather.

WITB 2019 Driver: TaylorMade 2016 M2 10.5* 3W: TaylorMade 2017 M1 15* 3 iron: Titleist 718 T-MB 20* 4-P: Titleist 718 CB 52* Titleist TVD Mgrind 58* Titleist TVD Mgrind

Has anyone used the SSR to intentionally measure ball speed instead of swing speed? If so, where do you place it, and have you tested it against trackman?

I have found it very difficult to reliably get ball speed. You are supposed to be able to lay it down flat in front of you about 4 feet and hit the ball over it. I find it often times gets my club speed as I tend to hit push draws and the ball misses the narrow window over the SSR. My swing caddie is much more reliable in that regard but it needs a little room to get the ball speed. If I hit a low ball it won't catch it as I think it never sees the ball. The clubhead is in the way during its short flight to my net. In those cases it will give me tee speed often.

I have however had some good luck with SSR reading 7 iron ball speed when I have had it placed directly behind my swing path. In those cases, it was within a few mph of my Skytrak. In this position, it should read pretty well because the ball is moving directly away from the unit, so cosine issue shouldn't come into play much. It just happens that a 7 iron (and some of my other irons) launch at just the right angle for it to catch ball speed more often than not.

Same here.

I think for most that is true when swing your driver with a ball or no ball in front of you. Might be a subconsious thing, or perhaps you just release the club at a different point with no ball and SSR isn't in the position to measure the peak speed in that case.

It could be that you are remembering some of my earlier posts, but I believe I was referring to comparing the heaviest SSG club speeds to a driver of the same length. For most it seems they are roughly 10 mph slower with an actual driver and ball in front of them then they are with the heavy SSG club. There are many things that could cause this. I think its mostly that the all out swing we do with SSG clubs, can't hit a ball and our subconcious knows that and slows it down, and that we just don't take as long of a back swing with an actual driver than we do with the SSG clubs. For some though, they can marry their max speed with the SSG clubs to their max speed with a driver. Take Tyler Parson's for example on YouTube. One video I saw he swung the Red club 133 max, and swung his standard driver (45 inches I am guessing) 132 max.

There is also the possibilty the SSR reads speed wrong of the SSG club. I proved that for me it can. I tend to swing severely inside out with my heavy home made SSG club. I get a violent jerk of the club to the left right where SSR would pick up peak speed. I move the SSR back a little bit and I swing quite a bit slower according to that. I really do think though that in general, the SSR can read the speed of these SSG clubs really accurately as there is no toe rotating through, only a small metalic blob.

So after a few workouts, I finally hit balls at the range today and brought my SSR. I don't have "before" range numbers with the SSR, but I do have trackman results from right before I started my workouts (from an indoor simulator). My driver averages on the trackman were:

91.8mph club head speed

135.8mph ball speed

Smash factor of 1.48 (I'm guessing my swing speed may have been a touch higher and my actual smash a bit lower, but regardless, those were the numbers)

Avg Carry 220 yards

Average total distance 248 yards.

On the range today, I was consistently in the 97-102mph range for swing speed. A few shots registered at 145mph, which was likely my ball speed.

That being said, my distances were less than expected. It's a nice, but cool, day here in NY, about 50-55 degrees, and I was hitting into a slight breeze (but downhill). This distances that I'm about to provide are all with "real" balls, not range balls. Most shots that I hit with a slightly open face barely went 200. I hit 100mph SS one one, and the ball went around 200. My max drive was about 250/255, even though I had plenty of 100mph+ readings on the SSR.

Does this make sense? Or should I not believe the SSR numbers?

My advice, don't ever believe SSR even if you have compared it directly to a Trackman and think you know how off it is. Reason being, your swing can change just enough to produce inflated or deflated numbers one day vs the next on SSR. Also, there can easily be inconsistent placement of the SSR and that can cause significant change is speed. Add to that we don't always swing as fast one day vs another and you have a device that makes it hard to really know for sure where you are at.

It is however, very useful with these SSR clubs I believe. Should be much more consistent and accurate than it is with a club. You can take or leave the rule of thumb that I have suggested. Whatever you can swing your red club, is what you can swing a driver of same length at. That is if you are able to hit a ball with the same technique and effort you swing the red club. Otherwise, I have observed about 10 mph less than red club when swinging a driver of the same length. This drop off seems to be mental block, and or technique change when swinging at an actual ball.

Anyone know the technical difference between baseball mode and golf mode on the SSR? Baseball seems to measure consistently slower...

I have wondered this myself. My best guess is that it reads bat tip speed but then only shows a percentage of that to represent the speed of the sweet spot which is a few inches away from the end of the bat. Just a guess, its probably wrong.